Beater or Sleeper? GT6 Car of the Week Thread

Curse you, image-altering colour filters! How can I tell a blue from a black if they both look the same? :mad: :lol:
And for the record, i changed the Pontiac's wheels to American Racing VN500 shortly after taking the picture, didn't like the original wheels too much.
Good news is, im planning to star in an action/comedy movie in said Pontiac as the hero, and there is still a spot for a villain! :lol:

And for the record, i changed the Pontiac's wheels to American Racing VN500 shortly after taking the picture, didn't like the original wheels too much.
Good news is, im planning to star in an action/comedy movie in said Pontiac as the hero, and there is still a spot for a villain! :lol:

Should've gone with Torq Thrusts, man, you can't go wrong with those.
Also, if you need a villain, I'll get a Chevrolet Chevelle and do that, haha. :lol:

Should've gone with Torq Thrusts, man, you can't go wrong with those.
Also, if you need a villain, I'll get a Chevrolet Chevelle and do that, haha. :lol:
Why, thats great! now tell me how it looks so i can know when you arrive. Already sent the coordinates to you.
And the reason i went for what i went with, its because i was promised the Peter Gunn song would be appearing in it. :lol:

Major announcement:

Due to circumstances beyond my control, I will be unable to host tonight's Car Of The Week races. @Niku Driver HC has graciously agreed to maintain the thread in my absence, and he'll be announcing next week's winner. If anyone can host the races tonight, it would be greatly appreciated.

I've got to leave for California tonight to attend to family business. I'll be taking my laptop, and will endeavor to drop by from time to time to give my two cents. If you have any questions, please submit them to the nearest brick wall.

Thanks for your patience and understanding.

Same here

Dang it, i missed it! only because i never had the room ID and went on the PS3 first thing i did! :lol:

As compensation ienjoyed so much the spy vs spy mystery car guessing game between Niku and Sergei...

Oh and the '94 NSX regular car review video is hilarious...!

Come back soon MCD...

Oh and welcome to the Dry State... I hope you didnt forget to bring your own water.... but dont carry them on the plane...

Ps you wanted a non japanese car for this week?! And then you leave us to drive this beater of American car?!?

Last edited:
A Focused Drive

After another night of COTW shenanigans (hosted by @lilcat89 ),
I took stock of how the Focus ST faired after being driven to hell and back.

The engine wasn't half bad, A 2.0 turbo 4 making 265hp after the oil change that pulled very well out of low speed turns, but started dying off after 6000rpm.

The Handling wasn't too bad either, there's the expected front wheel drive understeer, but it can oversteer if you try hard enough and it's easy to gather up if it does.

Ok, I'm kinda delaying the inevitable, it's time to address the cars main issue, the issue which was an error by PD and kinda ironic that such an error was on a car called the Focus. ;)

Alright I'll stop padding it out,:lol: the 5th gear is very long, longer than most.. Oh wait, already used that phrase.:D

How long is it? Well I didn't shift into Top Gear (:sly:) until 180mph and I hit a top speed of 212mph with a push and slipstream assistance. :eek:

On a track like SSRX or Old LeMans it's not too much of a issue, but on normal tracks, tracks which the Focus was made for, it can be a major handicap.

To summarise, it's a great fun hatchback with decent handling, punchy engine, but crippled by a coding error on its transmission.

If the transmission is corrected, it's a sleeper, no question.

Verdict: Beater 👎

Really should've Focused more on the Focus eh PD? :P

All focuses (foci? focus'?) will get a sleeper verdict from me, but I'm biased being a previous Focus owner.

Always been great handling cars with plenty of lift off oversteer on demand, but suffers from typical FF drivetrain torque steer issues. A shame PD have yet to fix the transmission bug with this car, other than that, in game and real life, these cars, ST and RS models especially, are able to keep up with and even outperform many reputationally fast sports cars, including the likes of Subaru Imprezas and Mitshibushi Evos. Not bad for an affordable FF family hatchback.

I bought a very lightly tuned, 3 year old MK1 Focus some years back with 38K miles on the clock. Through 5 years of very abusive ownership and 60K miles later, the only thing I needed to replace on her was the ignition coil, tyres and brake pads, everything else was still running like the day I bought it. She had thousands of miles of red lining the rpm, foot nailed to the floor, gear changes like it was in a 90's touring car race, even had regular off roading, ploughed through 2-3ft deep river crossings and performed many large jumps in the English country side and Scottish Highlands, but she never faulted, showed signs of giving up, broke down, or need any parts replacing (passed every MoT). It was always willing and urging you to push it.

My last week with her before she was sold, she was taken on a +2,000 mile business trip from the South East of England to the Midlands, then up to the West Coast of Scotland, to the East coast of Scotland, and back down to the South East of England. Most of my travelling was done in the late evening through to the early hours of the morning, so I hardly ever saw any traffic. Before such a long journey, you do your usual car checks - tyre pressure, oil etc. I did all but check the oil, can't remember why I didn't bother but I probably thought it would been fine. Turns out that when I got back and did check it before putting it up for sale, I had done my +2,000 mile journey, which included driving at the cars top speed for about 6 hours on the way home from Scotland - on a 5 lane wide motorway in the middle of the night - (*slap on the wrist*), the car did not have a single drop of oil in it. That's got to be one hell of an engine to not blow or seize up after that.

Unfortunately I'm talking about an older model of the CoTW, but I've only ever heard good things about the newer versions. In case those across the pond are surprised by such praise about a Ford, as far as I'm lead to believe, the UK Ford Focus (and some other Fords) are supposed to be a lot better than their US counterparts.

Hate to say it, but expect me to miss next Tuesday's races as well. I'll likely be on my way home by then, though.

Thank you all for your support and well-wishes.

On a brighter note, I highly recommend driving in Los Angeles. The traffic is heavy, but I've never been more challenged and fulfilled as a drive. F whatcha heard, driving is fun here. It allows you the chance to legally push your car and yourself to the limit.

Very addictive.

Hate to say it, but expect me to miss next Tuesday's races as well. I'll likely be on my way home by then, though.

On a brighter note, I highly recommend driving in Los Angeles. The traffic is heavy, but I've never been more challenged and fulfilled as a drive. F whatcha heard, driving is fun here. It allows you the chance to legally push your car and yourself to the limit.

Very addictive.

So you're telling me that driving amongst L.A. worst is actually fun? I'll be darned. Well, enjoy your time out, as much as possible.

Very addictive.

No need to worry about not making it next week, family is and always will be priority number one. 👍

Besides its not like we'll somehow run this series into the ground in that time, even WE can't do that. :lol:

So you're telling me that driving amongst L.A. worst is actually fun? I'll be darned. Well, enjoy your time out, as much as possible.

Anyone that tells you different is doing it wrong. The only other place I've driven that comes close are the roads outside of Denver, CO.

Today I out-braked and out-cornered a Porsche 911 on a 270 degree, 30 mph (suggested speed) off-ramp at about 50 mph through the turn.

McClarenDesign
Are you okay? Are you sure? Because you just got pwnd!

This was while driving a '15 Mazda2, manual box. He went for it (double-lane turn), but braked too late and too hard.

I also got to do a run near Griffith Observatory, and that was insane. My wife encourages my shenanigans, and the mountain was free of on-coming traffic, so I went for it.

The new 2 is everything our CotW wanted to be. Rest assured, I'm making the most of this trip.

Anyone that tells you different is doing it wrong. The only other place I've driven that comes close are the roads outside of Denver, CO.

Today I out-braked and out-cornered a Porsche 911 on a 270 degree, 30 mph (suggested speed) off-ramp at about 50 mph through the turn.

Noted and definitely appreciated. 👍 If I ever go to L.A. and get a chance to drive there, I'll ask you about the best roads to take.

Also, you crazy man you, out-braking and cornering a 911 (of all things) with a small city car. You aren't afraid to drive a real car in the same way you drive your virtual ones...

This was while driving a '15 Mazda2, manual box. He went for it (double-lane turn), but braked too late and too hard.

I also got to do a run near Griffith Observatory, and that was insane. My wife encourages my shenanigans, and the mountain was free of on-coming traffic, so I went for it.

The new 2 is everything our CotW wanted to be. Rest assured, I'm making the most of this trip.

See? Told you; the new Demio/2 is one of the best city cars in recent years. It's not the VW Polo or anything like that; cars such as the Peugeot 208 and the 2? Now those are proper cars, because they have a unique design flair to them (Peugeot's revitalized design and Mazda's wonderful Kodo one) and they can take corners in a way that entertains and pleases its driver. I can really picture you, driving around those mountain roads, with a grin a mile wide. :D

I can picture him in a year's time with the new 208 GTi and MPS 2 having an even bigger grin

My opinions on the Mazda 121&2/Demio:

Gen 1: A box
Gen 2: A box with some year 8 whittling classes applied.
Gen 3: A green pretty box that was a lot less practical.
Gen 4: A small, cute, practical bubble.

Also, I am kinda biased towards the Gen 2 (2003-2007) because my mum has one. It also, even after 11 years, doesn't handle as badly as the GT6 version with more HP.

The Focus is a badass in GT6, but I personally can't stand the wheelspin. I'm currently trying to tune that out of one and it's quite difficult, it just wants to smoke the tires.
In real life, as with any car, a bad driver of a new Focus ST can really embarrass oneself, especially near a mild little old Cavalier. :mischievous:

All focuses (foci? focus'?) will get a sleeper verdict from me, but I'm biased being a previous Focus owner.
True.
in game and real life, these cars, ST and RS models especially, are able to keep up with and even outperform many reputationally fast sports cars, including the likes of Subaru Imprezas and Mitshibushi Evos.
False.

Unless you mean with bad driving, in which case, see above. :)

which included driving at the cars top speed for about 6 hours on the way home from Scotland - on a 5 lane wide motorway in the middle of the night - (*slap on the wrist*), the car did not have a single drop of oil in it.
No........... Anybody that knows diddly about engines knows this is absolutely not true.

Back