best 800PP car for Endurance race

• Thread starter cyder2
  • 439 comments
I think this will be the last one for today. The non-hybrid Peugeot VGT, 25:44, so my fastest time so far.

It uses a lot of fuel, needed map 6 just to keep it to 2 stops, and short shifting on top of that. But its pace was blistering, with a fastest lap of 1:36.5. I made quite a few mistakes, generally due to being deceived by its understeeriness several times, and going deep/wide as a result, so I could probably get close to 25:30 with a better run. For a race without fuel consumption it would be better than the Hyundai by an even bigger margin.

I think this will be the last one for today. The non-hybrid Peugeot VGT, 25:44, so my fastest time so far.

It uses a lot of fuel, needed map 6 just to keep it to 2 stops, and short shifting on top of that. But its pace was blistering, with a fastest lap of 1:36.5. I made quite a few mistakes, generally due to being deceived by its understeeriness several times, and going deep/wide as a result, so I could probably get close to 25:30 with a better run. For a race without fuel consumption it would be better than the Hyundai by an even bigger margin.
thats fast! is fastest here at Sardenga
is it peageot VGT GR1?

Last edited:
Very easy with detuned Chaparral 2J.
Chap 2J >
These two guys know it...

Detuned 800pp Chaparral 2J is the fastest car on the 800pp category. It's fantastic in slow speed corners and has also very good straightline speed since it has very little drag.

Fan car technology has to be unbanned one of these days. Such a missed opportunity.

And, surprisingly, it doesn't have a bad fuel economy. Although the way I detune it to 800pp, I pretty much remove as much HP as I can so that likely explains it.

I’m easily winning the new WTC 800 race at Sardegna with the Mercedes-Benz AMG CLK-LM ‘98. I didn’t even tune it but had to bring it down to 800 PP. I did that by changing to RH tyres and set the ECU to 85% (799.92 PP then).
The race is 15 laps and with the fuel map on 5 I can just make it with 3 pits stops, but it requires a little bit of coasting ( or just very relaxed driving). Next time I‘l try the race I think I’ll go for 4 pit stops (fuel mapping at 1 or 2 probably and no more coasting needed) and then change tyres just once after 8 laps. I’m sure I will still win with ease.

The only other Gr.2 car I have is the Nissan GT-R GT500 ‘08 which I used for all WTC 800 races prior to having the CLK-LM. The GT-R GT500 was also absolutely dominating every race I did with it. Same strategy there, keep the car stock, equip RH tyres and either decease ECU or power a bit, or else add weight ballast to bring that PP down to 800.

In general the WTC 800 races are against Gr.3 cars but you can enter (and dominate) with a Gr.2. And the WTC 700 are against Gr.4 but you can dominate those with Gr.3 (I did so with my Toyota Supra GT500 ‘97).
I’m just going to quote my original post from yesterday and… add some extra info. This is in fact quite embarrassing but hey… I’ll let you join in for the fun and laughter. 😅

Turned out the 2 races I did yesterday with the CLK-LM I was adjusting the blue arc settings instead of the green one. 🤦‍♂️🤣 Yep, that’s right, for a total of 2 races of each 15 laps at Sardegna, i was managing the traction control setting instead of the fuel mapping, thinking I was in fact managing the fuel mapping. ☺️😝 I guess that happens if you farmed non-endurance races for too long in the weeks prior, and you are playing way too late at night and tired.

It’s actually funny that I was wondering to myself these small little things already yesterday but I didn't get it yet:
  • why does my fuel mapping start at value 2?
  • why do these guys on GT Planet talk about 6 = maximum? My CLK only goes until 5. I guess it must be vehicle dependant (which is cool! 😆)
  • why does this one guy state he uses fuel mapping 1 with only 3 pit stops? I can barely do 3 pit stops on 5? 🤔🤷‍♂️
  • hmmm this fuel mapping at 5 drives so relaxed. I didn’t think about it before but this reduced/controlled engine output might be like a secondary traction control (🤣🤣🤣 seriously that’s what I was even thinking yesterday night and still I didn’t get it)
  • this one time I went to the lowest setting (0) and lost the rear in a corner, I tuned it back up to 2, thinking “yep, fuel mapping can be used a bit like traction control” 😁

And now today I did the race again, well rested, with new energy. I still took a few laps before I got it though. 😅

Last edited:
I’d like to have a chance if I run a good race but I don’t want to win with an overpowered car. Is there a good GR3 car and setup that works well? In sport I loved the F1 GTR at Sardegna but now that’s a GR2

Yeah, wondering the same thing here. Tried the Sardegna race last night and I just can't make it to 8 laps. Tried the Tom's Supra, DBR9, and the new CLK and none made it past 7 laps even running the whole race on fuel map 6
The CLK-LM can do it. I just refined my 1-stop strategy with this car:
  • start on RH tyres
  • 7 laps @ fuel mapping 5
  • pit, change to new set of RH + fully refuel
  • 8 laps @ fuel mapping 6

I initially did it reverse (8 laps @ 5, then 7 laps @ 6) but then it’s a bit more difficult to pass the AI during the first couple of laps of the race without dirtying your lap (AI sometimes behaves a bit strange on this circuit).

The reason you couldn’t do 8 laps is probably because of detuning/downgrades. I assume you lowered your PP by adding weight? The CLK-LM is 940 kg stock. If you make the car heavier then of course it will also consume more fuel. General rule of thumb: For endurance races if you detune a car then avoid adding weight. And when you upgrade a car then first go for weight reduction. ☺️ Weight in general is bad, not only for speed and performance but also for fuel economy with endurance races.

My tune is basically no tune, just RH tyres and a reduced ECU output. The CLK-LM starts around 830 PP on RM. That already dropped to 819 on RH. I further lowered the PP just by limiting the ECU to 85%. The PP is then 799.92. I left everything else stock for now but I assume further improvements can be made if you start tuning specifically for this track. I kept the aero stock but this car has so much grip in corners it’s overkill. Lowering aero means reduced grip in corners (which the car sure can take up to a point) but also less drag, so that means speed, acceleration and fuel economy all benefit from it.

Last edited:
I’d like to have a chance if I run a good race but I don’t want to win with an overpowered car. Is there a good GR3 car and setup that works well? In sport I loved the F1 GTR at Sardegna but now that’s a GR2
I've tested quite a few cars for this race now:
Aston Martin VGT (718 PP) 26:34
Hyundai Gr.1 VGT 25:56
Peugeot VGT 25:44
Alpine Gr.1 VGT 25:31 (by adding 200kg ballast, which can probably also make the Hyundai quicker than the time I did above)
Gr.3 Audi R8 (think this was around 760 PP) 26:46
Gr.3 Nissan GT-R (747 PP) 26:52
Gr.3 Viper (777 PP) 26:11

The winning AI (on hard difficulty) usually does around 26:32, so the Viper was the only Gr.3 I could comfortably win with. I found it best to take the slow corners in 3rd gear, and shift very early in the red bar. Fuel map 1 works for 2 stops if you do that. My best lap was 1:38.5. There isn't really any setup to do, you just add all the upgrades you can, as it can't reach 800 PP with RH tyres, and anything softer slows down too much over 5 laps. Brake balance to the front, and I used TC5.

Last edited:
I spent the 9.5m credits to get the McLaren F1 GTR Race Car '97, and had just 638 credits left after that, so was hoping it could win the Sardegna WTC 800 race without buying any upgrades.

It comes with RM tyres, which probably isn't ideal, but the fuel is good for a 1 stop, so I made the tyres last for 8 then 7 laps. It did 25:49 race time, which compares pretty favourably to other cars, and it could probably go faster with money spent on upgrades. My fastest lap wasn't amazing at 1:39.4, but it was easy to drive it consistently.

Edit: Okay, with 200kg ballast and RH tyres, the McLaren F1 Gr.2 car did 25:04 with a fastest lap of 1:36.947, so that's the new fastest car I've tested. Other Gr.2 cars might be similarly fast, I haven't tried any others yet.

Against Hard AI:

McLaren F1 GTR 800 PP Sardegna.jpg

So the McLaren there is 705bhp 1150kg. The Alpine VGT Gr.1 with 200kg ballast at 800 PP is 510bhp 1130kg, so it's easy to see why the McLaren is much faster.

Last edited:
For when I don’t feel like cheating with the 600PP Tomahawk, I actually just use a stock Zonda R on racing hards, even on fuel map 6 the whole race. Only need to stop once for fuel at Sardegna around lap 8.

Grinding in GT7 is actually quite enjoyable with these new races compared to other games, and I like that you can change it up now and then with Le Mans or Tokyo Expressway as options instead of it just being one race that’s king.

Last edited:
For when I don’t feel like cheating with the 600PP Tomahawk, I actually just use a stock Zonda R on racing hards, even on fuel map 6 the whole race. Only need to stop once for fuel at Sardegna around lap 8.

Grinding in GT7 is actually quite enjoyable with these new races compared to other games, and I like that you can change it up now and then with Le Mans or Tokyo Expressway as options instead of it just being one race that’s king.
I really like the Zonda R but I have done the Tokyo Expressway yet or Le Mans, can you tell me your race time for Tokyo thanks.

This guy right here! Been saying this forever.
Ayep! She's an easy ride to. There's a 'yo mama' joke in there somewhere....

Jerome

CBH
I really like the Zonda R but I have done the Tokyo Expressway yet or Le Mans, can you tell me your race time for Tokyo thanks.
Sorry my bad, I used the tomahawk so much and for so many events I forgot the Tokyo race was 600PP and not 800PP. Either way I don’t recommend using the Zonda for a 600PP race.

I'm racing with the McLaren F1 GTR at Sardegna WTC800.

Doing 25:15

Fastest laps are like low 1:37
How are you getting down to 25:15? I tend to run usually in the 25:45-55 range. (usually on the lower end of that, 55 is usually if AI punts me off the track) Are you just maxing out the HP and adding ballast? I was going with a lighter car/less HP for fuel savings but is going heavier/more power the better option? How is the gas management on the car if you're adding lots of weight?

I spent the 9.5m credits to get the McLaren F1 GTR Race Car '97, and had just 638 credits left after that, so was hoping it could win the Sardegna WTC 800 race without buying any upgrades.

It comes with RM tyres, which probably isn't ideal, but the fuel is good for a 1 stop, so I made the tyres last for 8 then 7 laps. It did 25:49 race time, which compares pretty favourably to other cars, and it could probably go faster with money spent on upgrades. My fastest lap wasn't amazing at 1:39.4, but it was easy to drive it consistently.

Edit: Okay, with 200kg ballast and RH tyres, the McLaren F1 Gr.2 car did 25:04 with a fastest lap of 1:36.947, so that's the new fastest car I've tested. Other Gr.2 cars might be similarly fast, I haven't tried any others yet.

Against Hard AI:

View attachment 1136756

So the McLaren there is 705bhp 1150kg. The Alpine VGT Gr.1 with 200kg ballast at 800 PP is 510bhp 1130kg, so it's easy to see why the McLaren is much faster.
Is the max power/weight McLaren still a 1-stop? What fuel map are you using with more power?

Is the max power/weight McLaren still a 1-stop? What fuel map are you using with more power?
Yes, I still one stopped it. I used a mix of map 1 and 2, and short shifting. I did the 1:36.9 lap during an 8 lap stint with map 2. I think it can actually be optimised a bit more by lengthening 6th gear, as that will save some fuel on the long straight, reducing the need to save fuel elsewhere.

How are you getting down to 25:15? I tend to run usually in the 25:45-55 range. (usually on the lower end of that, 55 is usually if AI punts me off the track) Are you just maxing out the HP and adding ballast? I was going with a lighter car/less HP for fuel savings but is going heavier/more power the better option? How is the gas management on the car if you're adding lots of weight?
IMG_20220412_110219.jpg

Fuelmix whole time on 4.
Stop was around lap 8 or 9. So some tweaks possible

Last edited:
Just going to drop this here... again.

NSX GT500. 79X PP brand new. Just buy it and go. GREAT on fuel, GREAT on tires, handles great and sounds even better. Can easily make it 6 laps on fuel mix 1 and 8 laps with some minor fuel savings. No short shifting, no coasting, no nothing (for 6 laps, not 8). Just go.

Pit on lap 8, refuel and maybe tires, profit.

If you like trying different cars, and different tunes, fuel maps, etc. then by all means.... if you just want to drop in a car and go, this is your machine.

I'm telling you, the community is sleeping on this car.

3d02d7fae89579bbed6582d33fe7ad2c_photo.webp

Last edited:

NSX GT500. 79X PP brand new. Just buy it and go. GREAT on fuel, GREAT on tires, handles great and sounds even better. Can easily make it 8 laps on fuel mix 1. No short shifting, no coasting, no nothing. Just go.

Pit on lap 8 or 9 (I think I pitted on lap 9), refuel and maybe tires, profit.

If you like trying different cars, and different tunes, fuel maps, etc. then by all means.... if you just want to drop in a car and go, this is your machine.

This. It’s just a joy to drive. No fiddling with fuel mix, I love it. Don’t know how many races I’ve won at sardegna with it.

NSX GT500. 79X PP brand new. Just buy it and go. GREAT on fuel, GREAT on tires, handles great and sounds even better. Can easily make it 8 laps on fuel mix 1. No short shifting, no coasting, no nothing. Just go.

Thanks i will try it today. I am guessing you are using hard tires?

Thanks. I didn’t even consider this. I’ll try tomorrow

I win easily with the NSX, but can’t quite make 8 laps on fuel mix 1. Have to do a lap or two saving a bit of fuel in first stint to get 8 laps then all out in second stint. With a clean race you can lap the entire field.

I have noticed they are very generous with the clean race bonus in this event. I should have lost it a couple times when I binned the car going to edge of grip but have gotten bonus every time.

I did a 1:37 in time trial mode with NSX, but best lap in race was 1:38.4… there aren’t that many laps free of traffic where you still have fresh tires, but with a large lead like that it’s fun to just run it like a TT with some cars to dodge… AI is terrible in a few fast corners and seriously get in the way if timing not right.

Anyway, great recommendation, the car is fun to drive on this circuit.

Last edited:
Yeah, wondering the same thing here. Tried the Sardegna race last night and I just can't make it to 8 laps. Tried the Tom's Supra, DBR9, and the new CLK and none made it past 7 laps even running the whole race on fuel map 6
This is the answer. It simply wipes the floor with any 700 or 800PP races. Most of the time you just leave it in lean mode 1 on RH tyres and win by 20-30 secs

I win easily with the NSX, but can’t quite make 8 laps on fuel mix 1. Have to do a lap or two saving a bit of fuel in first stint to get 8 laps then all out in second stint. With a clean race you can lap the entire field.

I have noticed they are very generous with the clean race bonus in this event. I should have lost it a couple times when I binned the car going to edge of grip but have gotten bonus every time.

I did a 1:37 in time trial mode with NSX, but best lap in race was 1:38.4… there aren’t that many laps free of traffic where you still have fresh tires, but with a large lead like that it’s fun to just run it like a TT with some cars to dodge… AI is terrible in a few fast corners and seriously get in the way if timing not right.

Anyway, great recommendation, the car is fun to drive on this circuit.
Awesome! Glad it worked out.

It works great on all of the 800PP races.

Back