best drift car in GT5!

• Thread starter rotolox
  • 112 comments
Despite that some cars have errors (incorrect weight distribution and etc), I prefer choosing the S-Series Cars (I chose probably the Nismo 270R S14), S2000 (either AP1 or AP2), 86 GT/BRZ/FR-S, FD3S RX7 (either '91 or '02), RX-8 Type S, NSX NA1 ('90). There's many whole set of FR cars to choose but just my recommendations.

If you're using a G27 (or any wheel with Clutch and H-Pattern, particularly G27 and T500 + TH8RS Shifter), sad thing is you can't change gears (In GT5 for sure, tried it in rFactor with an RPS13 and work wonders) while drifting unlike real life, you can do it only with sequential but with H-Pattern + Clutch, can't do it. You have to wait for the car to stop spinning a bit and then you can.

If you're using a G27, sad thing is you can't change gears while drifting unlike real life, you can do it only with sequential but with H-Pattern + Clutch, can't do it. You have to wait for the car to stop spinning a bit and then you can.

Can anyone else confirm this? It's not that I don't believe it, but I'm shopping for a wheel and this is kind of a big deal.

Can anyone else confirm this? It's not that I don't believe it, but I'm shopping for a wheel and this is kind of a big deal.

Yeah, you can only shift up while drifting when you feint. While you swing back to the other direction is the best time to shift gears. This means you need to select the right gear for the corner so you can make it the whole way round. Sometimes when you drift and you let off the throttle for long enough you can shift as well, but that works for some corners only like the first turn of the esses on Indy. It's annoying but that's how it is. You should still use a clutch to drift however.

If I wasn't getting a clutch option with the wheel, it wouldn't be worth it to me. I guess it's not a total deal breaker, should I desperately need to shirt (shirt? I meant shift but I couldn't bring myself to get rid of the typo) at a time when the stick won't do the trick, I can probably learn to temporarily sub the paddles.

Last edited:
If I wasn't getting a clutch option with the wheel, it wouldn't be worth it to me. I guess it's not a total deal breaker, should I desperately need to shirt (shirt? I meant shift but I couldn't bring myself to get rid of the typo) at a time when the stick won't do the trick, I can probably learn to temporarily sub the paddles.

Paddle when you need to upshift mid drift, then place the shifter in current without using the clutch.

So, say you're in third gear approaching a corner:

Feint with clutch kick, counter, upshift with paddle, then place hand on shifter and pull into fourth WITHOUT touching the clutch. If you touch the clutch while the car is in fourth but the shifter is in third, the trans is going back to third, ruining your drift.

Get the G27. I hated the way the shifting worked at first, but i'm over it now and happy with my purchase.

MadCyclist
Recommend an alternative method? Even if not, I'm getting the G27, I can't see myself getting far beyond where I am now twiddling my thumbs.

I prefer using the clutch.

Fair enough. This is getting off-topic so I'll leave it at that, but thanks for the insight from all included parties.

urbanite9
The Jay Leno Tank Car. 'nuff said...

I actually totally agree with you. That suspension is truly amazing for drifting. I love that you can feel everything through the wheel while driving that car.

CallmeDan
It is when a competition doesn't allow AWD cars.

You got to remember man, not everyone cares about the D1 or FD rules for drifting in general. Only in comps is where I enforce it.

If you can follow me in your car, I don't care what you drive.

You got to remember man, not everyone cares about the D1 or FD rules for drifting in general. Only in comps is where I enforce it.

If you can follow me in your car, I don't care what you drive.

Yes, I know. We've been over this before. But certain competitions allow for them, while others don't. That's all I'm saying.

CallmeDan
Yes, I know. We've been over this before. But certain competitions allow for them, while others don't. That's all I'm saying.

No Dan you go to time out right now. Don't make me getting the bar of soap.

Just kidding. Yeah I know what you mean.

No Dan you go to time out right now. Don't make me getting the bar of soap.

Just kidding. Yeah I know what you mean.

I'm worried about soap poisoning. That's some serious schtuff right there.

Anyway, I have a general question: what makes the 86/FRS/BRZ so freaking popular for drifting? I literally see them everywhere.

It's a spectacular chassis. Not only that, but it also has a decent amount of grip and relatively low amount of torque making it appealing to those interested in lap time. Power delivery and gear splits suck, though.

Back