Best Looking SUV?

• Thread starter Danny
  • 214 comments
Don't get me wrong, look enough and some of it can look clumsy.

But it just looks so muscular and taut. It's the Jean Claude Van Damme of SUVs.
No-one would think the Forester STi was okay, you'd either love it or hate it.

Well - I think it's just okay. :lol: But I actually haven't seen one in person, so that could be part of it. I just don't think it deserves a "best" title. Though I've thought about it and you're right - the standard E36 3-series was a bit of a bore, but the M3, which was just marginally different, was gorgeous - based on the bodykits and wheels alone.

On the Forester:

This?
023171-E.jpg

Or this?
20024141-E.jpg

...I'm going with the '05 over the '06 myself, as the grille really screwed up a nice looking quasi-SUV. I like the Forester a lot, particularly the Forester XT (WRX for grown-ups), but I still don't consider it an SUV by comparison to something like a CR-V or RAV4, the Forester is still a "car" IMO...

best is such a vague term especially when you mean best SUV suited for off roading. whomping in the dunes is off roading. as is rock crawling. and mud bogs. and so on and so on.

as for the rubicon, standard G wagens can do it. only "modification" needed is off road tires. thats very different from the comprehensive changes that make a jeep rubicon different from a wrangler X innit?

Wait, which Buick are you talking about?

The Rendezvous?
20025998-396x249.jpg

The Rainier?
2006.buick.rainier.jpg

The Enclave?
1060109.006.XL.jpg

Its a good question... I've always been facinated by the ways cars can be named. I know there was a big controversy over the Buick LaCrosse, as the name is a slang term for a j/o in parts of Canada, thus it has remained the Century there.

Rainier isn't a bad idea, named after an American mountain. But as for Enclave and Rendezvous, I have no idea...

Actually the Rendezvous is built quite well, which is surprising really, as it's foundation was laid out many years ago and was indeed related to the Pontiac Azteck.

...But alas, it will be replaced by the Enclave at the end of the 2007 model year...

I don't think they are that bad, as the Enclave is actually quite nice, IMO. The oval grille is there to be a connection to Buick's past in which almost every model used the oval grille along with the portholes to indicate engine size.

I used to be in "Cars in General" a lot. Maybe I don't go to certain threads I've been in because I'm kind of just looking for a good topic to post in. Certainly this is one that I'd want to participate in.

I don't consider myself an SUV or truck guy at all. I think of myself more as an artist. I believe in beauty and sophistication with most automobiles. I have to nominate the Lexus RS series. I basically fell in love with the RX400 and RX400h. I am a big fan of Lexus. Many of their automobiles (especially the more luxurious and upscale models) are very lovely. The RX series are luxury SUVs. I've gotten tired of Escalades, Hummers (except the H1- the only true Hummer), Navigators, and all that. The RX series has some lovely offerings. Since I'm not going to take care of off-road duties or pull/haul a lot of stuff, this would be just right. The back of the RX 400 and RX 400h look a little unique with the perfectly clear taillights. I think there are still the red bulbs or lamps which doesn't make it illegal (at least I believe it's illegal to have different-colored brake lights). This thing is just about car-like in design and maybe even in driving as well. In fact, A racing team campaigned a Lexus RX 400 or RX 400h in the 24 Hours at the Nürburgring. I think the team placed 55th overall and was classified. I just think it's the most beautiful SUV I've ever seen.

Another SUV I'd give some love to is the latest Toyota Rav4. One time when I was in Pearland, TX (about 15-20 miles south of Houston), I seen this spanking-new SUV. I found out it was a Toyota Rav4. When my parents drove past it, I noticed the clean lines and overall stunning appearance. I think the specific one I seen was in sort of an almond or beige kind of color. It looked very nice.

I've grown fond of the Mazda CX-7. I think BlazinXtreme and I liked the design of this machine. They say it's the SUV you never saw coming. I will admit that I'd take this over the Tribute. The Tribute wasn't truly exciting to my eyes. This one changes all that. Mazda tries to imbue sports car blood even into 3,929 lbs. of metal. It's a sporty little machine. I haven't seen too many CX-7's yet. I'd love to go to next year's Houston Auto Show and see what it's like on the inside.

Finally, I sort of have a soft spot for Hyundai's Santa Fe and Tucson. The style may not be as exciting with the Mazda CX-7 and such, but it's been a style that I strangely like and consider handsome.

So in review:

* Lexus RX series
* latest Toyota Rav4
* Mazda CX-7
* Hyundai's Santa Fe and Tucson.

There is a certain non-American Toyota that I thought was pretty nice. I don't know the name of it, but it bears some lineage to the latest Toyota FJ Cruiser. By the way, the FJ Cruiser is NOWHERE on my list of Best Looking SUV's.

Now he must take sie Siegfried Oas...

"I solemnly svear, to obey ze Zacred Siegfried Oas. Und never, never, never! Dishoner ze spirit und ze memory of Adolph Elizabeth Hitler."

Ja wo! You can't count out the Kommanderwagen either, although that was pretty much a Kafer (Beetle) strapped on to the Kubelwagen's AWD system...

hmmm... the REAL suv's are:

Gelendewagen-"G55 AMG" mostly

Kubelwagen and other variants

new and old Toyota FJ's

HUMVEE-"for millitary purposes only"

FX-45

hmmm... the REAL suv's are:

Gelendewagen-"G55 AMG" mostly

Kubelwagen and other variants

new and old Toyota FJ's

HUMVEE-"for millitary purposes only"

FX-45
The Kübelsitzwagen was a (quite literally) rebodied VW Beetle. The current FJ Cruiser is an overstyled, very poorly engineered tosh of elements. And the FX-45 is (nearly literally) a Nissan 350Z with a lift kit.

Okay. Your use of the phrase "REAL SUV's" put me on guard. But the Kübelsitzwagen still really wasn't an SUV. Not really.

...Wow, its pretty obvious you have no appreciation for your former Nazi overlord's vehicles...

(lol)

A 9 year thread bump?! Wow.

My favourite current SUV is a dead-heat between the new Volvo XC90 and Range Rover Sport. The Jaguar F-PACE may take that crown when it launches though. Need to see it in the metal first.

9 years?!

A 9 year thread bump?! Wow.

My favourite current SUV is a dead-heat between the new Volvo XC90 and Range Rover Sport. The Jaguar F-PACE may take that crown when it launches though. Need to see it in the metal first.

9 years?!
SUV's are becoming a trend now, so we may see this thread get 'revitalised'.

Back