Best sounding car

• Thread starter whatbrown
  • 744 comments
plymouth superbird with sports exhaust is up there, the ferrari f430 with nothing on it, lexus lfa, fully modified nissan skyline, the list could go on

Some cars in GT5 sound real, but thats only SOME out of 1000 cars.. Many other racer games have better sound! Comon PD, GT5 has nice super duper HD graphics and yet they sound as good as PS1 era game? Booo...

Yeah the sounds are really lame... I like the GT40 sound in the game...

Supercar Challenge has very nice sounding cars

Made a Enzo race exhaust vid quick

Anybody who thinks this sounds good...let alone accurate should go see a doctor soon. A full race Enzo should sound like this:

The GT5 enzo sounds like a cross between a V8 and a 2 rotor...:nervous:

Sound has such a larger role in gameplay than what PD realizes i think. Endurance races would be much more tolerable if you had a realistic raw sound of say, that Enzo above. I wouldn't want to stop, just so I could hear that v12 scream, not some sewing machine, vacuum cleaner noise. Car physics - check, Car models - check, Car sounds and the game would be unstoppable haha.

Yeah the sounds are really lame... I like the GT40 sound in the game...

Supercar Challenge has very nice sounding cars

Still not great, the zonda is all echoy and the tune doesn't change enough and the mclaren isn't right either but the downshifts and other car noises are very good!

Any of you guys tried playing with a decent set of headphones? I tried a couple of nights ago and It certainly made everything sound sweeter! And this was hooked up through the headphone out on my tv....

Any of you guys tried playing with a decent set of headphones? I tried a couple of nights ago and It certainly made everything sound sweeter! And this was hooked up through the headphone out on my tv....

Yes I have a massive surround sound system which I have set up proffesionally and I agree the sound is better but it is still about as deep as a puddle.

Yeah upstairs we have a nice surround sound system, then I bought a wheel and got booted downstairs. Now I have to deal with buzzy flat TV speakers. BTW... Chevy SSR with race exhaust at idle is mean sounding.

I'd say it's the Mark IV. It sounds incredible no matter where the revs are. Plus it's only 4 speed so you can hear it in detail most of the time. The Murcielago LP670 comes in a close second and the 787B and any Impreza with a racing exhaust deserve an honorable mention.

The Gallardo and the two Murcielagos. The LF-A sounds oh so good but I tired myself by listening to its note for hours and hours.

Anybody who thinks this sounds good...let alone accurate should go see a doctor soon. A full race Enzo should sound like this:

The GT5 enzo sounds like a cross between a V8 and a 2 rotor...:nervous:

Thats why i wrote "it sounds a bit" like a Ferrari in the description. I am totally on your side with the Sounds, PD should have actually recorded some "exhaust" sounds. We can clearly "hear" that PD was not interested in making matching sounds.

They took the same exhaust sounds for so many different cars.

Mazda 787B, Lexus LFA . . .among others.

One must remember though, that input is only as good as output. The cars of course sound different when piped through my JBL Aliens as compared to my Bose or B & O set-ups.

I guess if I was listening through my standard Sony TV speakers they don't really compare. I don't, because I know they wouldn't.

I DO listen on my earphones, at times. Again . . . a different sensation altogether.

facepalm.jpg

When will you guys stop making excuses?

This is what cars should sound like.(..and its recorded via Tv)

Till now I always thought that the 458 italia was one of the best sounding cars in the game (With stock exhaust, race exhaust makes it sound like a vacuum cleaner). It really sounds good but after seeing this video, I doubt that it is very accurate (BTW: doesn`t the 430 Scuderia sound the same as the 458 in GT5?)

Hahaha compare this too that it is spot on in Forza 3.👍:)

When will you guys stop making excuses?

This is what cars should sound like.(..and its recorded via Tv)

I really don't like Forza's approach to sound. The car sounds the same whichever way you look at it, externally or internally, and that screws up my sense of "place" in the game.

The reason they sound so meaty, is they mix in the intake sound with the exhaust (it's so clearly audible in the V8 Ferraris). Again, this sounds wrong. Take this 599 GTO (skip to 3:55), for instance, notice the massive difference in sound as the car approaches you versus when it's driving away from you - the same applies for the 333SP, despite it being mid-engined. There's also a good deal of F&F / NFS Underground colour to the sounds in Forza (the XJ220 is the worst culprit in that video, it does not howl and warble, it growls and roars - it's a big cat ;)) and, lastly, the sounds do not change when the car is modified.

The latter point probably explains the reasons behind all my other gripes, to allow the car to retain its stock (recognisable) character, but to add a bit of "excitement" that would be more congruent with a "fully tuned" beast.

My biggest gripe with GT5 is the total absence of intake noise.

EDIT: stop double-posting, use the edit button.

I really don't like Forza's approach to sound. The car sounds the same whichever way you look at it, externally or internally, and that screws up my sense of "place" in the game.

The reason they sound so meaty, is they mix in the intake sound with the exhaust (it's so clearly audible in the V8 Ferraris). Again, this sounds wrong. Take this 599 GTO (skip to 3:55), for instance, notice the massive difference in sound as the car approaches you versus when it's driving away from you - the same applies for the 333SP, despite it being mid-engined. There's also a good deal of F&F / NFS Underground colour to the sounds in Forza (the XJ220 is the worst culprit in that video, it does not howl and warble, it growls and roars - it's a big cat ;)) and, lastly, the sounds do not change when the car is modified.

The latter point probably explains the reasons behind all my other gripes, to allow the car to retain its stock (recognisable) character, but to add a bit of "excitement" that would be more congruent with a "fully tuned" beast.

My biggest gripe with GT5 is the total absence of intake noise.

EDIT: stop double-posting, use the edit button.

Muwhahahahawhwhahahahahahahahahahaha you dont have too like it, just accept that it is ten times better than in GT5:)
So you rather have gt5 sounds then?? I think not..

The 2011 GTO is not ingame so i dont know why you brought that car up. We want proper sound INGAME! I am not concerned with the dopller effect in replay videos. Although you can clearly hear it in the videos i posted. (If not get your ears checked)

Dude i dont care how they did it, i want Gt5 too sound at least as good as Forza...

Yes the Jaguar Xj220 has a twinturbocharged v6. It's not a big cat, its a car. I dont know what you mean by the car sounds doesn't change when teh car is modified. (be more specific) It sounds like my GF's hairdryer in GT5..what do you have too say about that? Want Proof?

Last edited:
Muwhahahahawhwhahahahahahahahahahaha you dont have too like it, just accept that it is ten times better than in GT5:)
So you rather have gt5 sounds then?? I think not..

The 2011 GTO is not ingame so i dont know why you brought that car up. We want proper sound INGAME! I am not concerned with the dopller effect in replay videos. Although you can clearly hear it in the videos i posted. (If not get your ears checked)

Dude i dont care how they did it, i want Gt5 too sound at least as good as Forza...

Yes the Jaguar Xj220 has a twinturbocharged v6. It's not a big cat, its a car. I dont know what you mean by the car sounds doesn't change when teh car is modified. (be more specific) It sounds like my GF's hairdryer in GT5..what do you have too say about that? Want Proof?

Please read my posts. You seem to keep jumping to conclusions about where I'm coming from, when that information is lacking in what I post, to suit your own agenda. I'm not here to bash anything, I'm here to discuss the differences.

I actually would rather have sounds that changed when I tuned the car, and have different sound sources that are audible in different ways depending on where the car is relative to the observer. Yes, I would prefer PD included intake sound so that interior views are better rendered.

The point of the GTO was not to showcase the Doppler effect, rather the marked difference in intake and exhaust sound - the difference being roughly the same as the race-oriented 333SP. I was demonstrating that having a static mix, as Forza does, is not correct. It's fine for the interior, I suppose.

I wanted GT5 to sound better than Forza, or anything I'd ever heard before, but that really is asking quite a lot, given the difference in approach (varying sounds vs. one, fixed sound per car).

A Jaguar is a big cat, and that image is exploited with the marque, ever since the straight sixes in the early cars. Yes, the XJ220 does have "a" twin-turbocharged V6, but it's not the same as the twin-turbocharged V6 in, say, a 300ZX. The engine is quite different, and is technically derived (ultimately) from this, via this, then this. No wail or warble to be found anywhere, just a guttural growl owing to the "true dual" exhaust and uneven firing sequence. So it seems even Turn10 are guilty of "stereotyping" when it comes to engine sounds ;)

Yeah FM has way way way better sounds. Sure some cars in GT5 sound like real life, but FM3 almost ALL cars sound like real life!!!
Heck I am begging to think Turn10 might be a better team over PD because they put a lot of detail in fixing physics, sounds, damage, paint, body kits etc etc every time they come with new game. PD, well seems they care about Graphics most, then Physics, and maybe they turn a vacuum cleaner for sound recording.. oh and body kits in GT5? Its a joke!!!
GT6 should better have better sounds then FM4, or else PD is going to loose in that department... oh yeah its already loosing...

Griffith500 has a point. Exhaust =/= engine.

For how long have I listened to each and every Skyline's sound and yet I can distinguish what's intake and exhaust. They're different.

I think, they computer-generated a lot of the sounds to mix it with real sound samples....and then you get this overall vacuum cleaner sound.

It's the ancillaries like fans and water pumps etc. recorded from under the bonnet / hood. That is what passes for engine / intake sound in all GT games. The Audi R8 and McLaren MP4-12C are big offenders in that regard, where their midship configuration should mean for masses of intake and engine block noise transmitted into the cabin, except all we get are pulleys and belts. The same goes for the muscle cars, whose intake sounds (the four-barrel single carburettor on a monobloc intake manifold being the absolute classic) are a big part of the overall character in real life, but are completely absent in GT5.

It's the ancillaries like fans and water pumps etc. recorded from under the bonnet / hood. That is what passes for engine / intake sound in all GT games. The Audi R8 and McLaren MP4-12C are big offenders in that regard, where their midship configuration should mean for masses of intake and engine block noise transmitted into the cabin, except all we get are pulleys and belts. The same goes for the muscle cars, whose intake sounds (the four-barrel single carburettor on a monobloc intake manifold being the absolute classic) are a big part of the overall character in real life, but are completely absent in GT5.

Again, may I point to the audio masterpiece that is PGR4

Listen to distinctly different induction, exhaust, and internal audio sounds. All being projected in the proper directions.

If PGR4 had GT5's physics engine and a few more tracks...it would be the best racing game ever.

The ford gt with race exhaust is one of them.. just make sure you have a decent sound system hooked up and that sound may just eat your children.
any of the classic muscle cars sound good ONLY if you have a decent sound system with generous bass so they actually sound as they should.

Again, may I point to the audio masterpiece that is PGR4

vid

Listen to distinctly different induction, exhaust, and internal audio sounds. All being projected in the proper directions.

If PGR4 had GT5's physics engine and a few more tracks...it would be the best racing game ever.

Yes, PGR4's samples are usually pretty immaculate (that particular one's not the best), despite the cut-and-paste sound engine they're looping from. PGR4 has the advantage that the cars cannot really be modified, so each car has only one possible sound, which gets plenty of attention from the designers. The same can be said of Forza 3, thanks to the design decision taken to keep the car's (engine) sound the same regardless of state of tune (excluding engine swaps and aspiration changes) - which is odd considering FM2 had different sounds for different exhausts.

GT, on the other hand, has far too many cars and far too many possible sounds per car for that kind of attention to be feasible with only two sound designers.

The ferraries in FM sound very similar to real ones, the ones in GT5 do not.

But there is one thing i don´t understand:

-the 430 scuderia in the grand tour cutscenes sounds exactly like a real one....why not while driving it?

Jump to 2:15 minutes and you hear what i mean.

Yes, PGR4's samples are usually pretty immaculate (that particular one's not the best), despite the cut-and-paste sound engine they're looping from. PGR4 has the advantage that the cars cannot really be modified, so each car has only one possible sound, which gets plenty of attention from the designers. The same can be said of Forza 3, thanks to the design decision taken to keep the car's (engine) sound the same regardless of state of tune (excluding engine swaps and aspiration changes) - which is odd considering FM2 had different sounds for different exhausts.

GT, on the other hand, has far too many cars and far too many possible sounds per car for that kind of attention to be feasible with only two sound designers.

And there it is folks..the biggest thing wrong with GT5. The reason, primarily, for all of the other problems.

Back