Hi Res. Mode

• Thread starter gtmaster08
  • 40 comments
United States
Southern Pines
Saber_Leonhart
Cloud Of Advent
Why does the "Hi res GT mode" only work for the Clubman Stage 5, Special Stage route 5, and SS Route 11?:confused:

Those were the only courses developed with it. This may have been due to the fact that on daytime courses, the lack of scenery on the courses (everything was expended for graphics in this experiment) would have been more apparent, or the programmers at PD wanted to try some circuits with a common theme, therefore leading to these tracks being the only ones developed with it.

LeGeNd-1, that too. I forgot that... Thank you.

Maybe because the disc cannot contain so much memory for all hi-res tracks? So they only converted 3 of them to save space on the disc. Or maybe because the night tracks are the most beautiful in hi-res.

Ah, I see.

Well that really bites. After all, I think that the daytime tracks would look a whole lot cooler in high resolution, wouldn't you agree?

Clearly they needed to leave out scenery to do the hi-res.

AFAICT, [size=+1]GT1[/size] has three parts to its scenery; 1) the immediate close-by details (the roadway you are driving on, and a little more) 2) the nearby scenery, just on the other side, or making up, those "invisible walls" you run into sometime 3) the distant scenery including distant trees, distant buildings, and distant hills, and the sky.

(Once I arranged to have SSR11 night sky at Deep Forest; it looked quite neat--somewhat gloomy).

In Hi-res, it looks like they only model 1) and 3), with no 2). This would be more apparent at daytime tracks than night-time tracks. (Although even the night-time tracks have this feel of driving in the middle of nothingness, with only distant lights as scenery; e.g. at Hi-res SSR11 you don't have those buildings right beside the road at the right-left esse after the twiddly bit after the first corner after the first straight. And if Hi-res SSR5 has the clock tower (I can't recall), it's certainly missing a lot of other scenic details.

I remember when I first drove in Hi-res mode I thought, "Hang on, something is missing here." But I can't quite make out what's missing. Later on when I compare the hi-res version of the tracks with the normal version I realize it's the background scenery. Great! I thought, SSR11 without buildings is not SSR11 at all 👎. And that's the last time I used the hi-res mode. The driving physics felt a bit weird too using the hi-res, it feels like you're drunk driving or something, there's this sense of "floating" at times. Maybe just my feeling, oh well....

What's more ridiculous is that the arcade mode also has a hi-res mode, with exactly the same 3 tracks. I can't comprehend why would we need 2 of 1 thing. I mean, if we had unlocked 1, why would we bother unlocking the other, especially since one of them is easier to unlock? Wouldn't that be wasting disc space? Wouldn't they be better converting another 3 tracks into hi-res to use that space? This is one of PD's weird decisions I can't quite understand until today.

I remember when I first drove in Hi-res mode I thought, "Hang on, something is missing here." But I can't quite make out what's missing. Later on when I compare the hi-res version of the tracks with the normal version I realize it's the background scenery. Great! I thought, SSR11 without buildings is not SSR11 at all 👎. And that's the last time I used the hi-res mode. The driving physics felt a bit weird too using the hi-res, it feels like you're drunk driving or something, there's this sense of "floating" at times. Maybe just my feeling, oh well....

What's more ridiculous is that the arcade mode also has a hi-res mode, with exactly the same 3 tracks. I can't comprehend why would we need 2 of 1 thing. I mean, if we had unlocked 1, why would we bother unlocking the other, especially since one of them is easier to unlock? Wouldn't that be wasting disc space? Wouldn't they be better converting another 3 tracks into hi-res to use that space? This is one of PD's weird decisions I can't quite understand until today.

Yeah, that does seem weird. I mean, the fact that you seem to be driving in nothingness!:odd:

For most tracks, there was a different track model for Arcade and Simulation Mode.

But it definitely appears the same Hi-Res track model was used in both Simulation Mode and Arcade Mode cases. The two-player tracks were different models, too (pits were open, and mid-range scenery was somewhat reduced; check SSRX or High-Speed Ring) and were also shared between Simulation and Arcade Mode. Sometimes I would use a GameShark to arrange to run an endurance race on another two-player track. Another interesting fact is that the pits are actually always open at SSR5 (forward) in Simulation Mode. You can divert and go through them, if you want, at any Simulation Mode race. Similarly, the pits are always open at Grand Valley (forward) and SSR11 (both directions) in Simulation Mode, but are closed in Arcade Mode. (Yes, there was a different SSR11 Arcade Mode track, both directions, but it wasn't used. You want to talk wasted CD space?) The open pits at SSR5 suggest an SSR5 Enduro had been planned, but wasn't included in the final game. Perhaps the Corvette'67 was intended to be the prize?

http://www.geocities.com/gt2toxs/gt/diary/1999-12-09.html
http://www.geocities.com/gt2toxs/gt/diary/2000-10-20.html

I remember that you spoke on that issue in another older thread... and that is very possible, considering that the Corvette also shows up as an A.I. car in Simulation mode.

All in all, nice work on the investigation.

Depends on your criteria. I would have to say Special Stage Route 11, though, simply because it is the most challenging course developed in those graphics. For scenery, Special Stage Route 5 is better, despite a distinct lack of it. The far background lighting is better, however.

Gotta be the Test Course.

Nah, just kidding. Seriously though, I think Grand Valley Speedway would look awesome in hi-res 👍 The scenery is already awesome as it is, as quoted from the GVS Enduro "Racing on the track with the most beautiful scenery in Gran Turismo!"

SSR11 would look quite nice too if they hadn't omitted the buildings and stuff, but when I drive on this course, I'm too busy paying attention to the road so I don't have time to enjoy the scenery :lol:.

I totally agree about the Grand Valley track in hi res. looking good! But, then they would probably take out the bridge crossbeams.

Kazunori Yamauchi was once quoted to have said "If our development team made again the first Gran Turismo, they would last just 2 weeks to do so."

Do you think that with the actual technology they would be able to fit all tracks in hi-res into the PSX game? Or even fit the whole Nurburgring in normal-res? :dunce:

A tad off-topic...beware if you get upset by off-topic material. :scared:

Anyways, it's funny...this is how I feel about the "wet" tracks in GT3 and 4. PD develops this great technology, and then you hardly get to do any races on wet tracks. And there's only like 3 wet tracks for each game (instead of many)! And there's no "rain". ....it's always a wet track with no rain! :banghead: And it's not random!

Hell, even my niece's Sims Castaway game has random weather! :dunce:

Anyways, I agree with you on this guys...there should be more hi-res tracks; GT1 in fact did have leftover space on the disc for more memory...I think GT2 on the other hand, was near-max.

Last edited:
I think you can fit all tracks in hi-res, but the game would lag a lot, even more so with AI driving around (that's why the hi-res is only available as Time Trials right?). So might not be a good idea after all. FPS is more important in racing games than picture quality.

I can imagine Nurburgring in the game in normal-res, or hi-res even. But they would have to delete half of the tracks/cars to make space for it. And there will certainly be a lot of trackside objects/details missing.

And go to Bonus Items (Goodies if you have the Japanese game) in Arcade Mode or to page 3 of Special Events in Sim Mode.

I never had GT1. I would love to see pics of this Hi Res mode and maybe a comparison to standard mode.

Robin

I never had GT1. I would love to see pics of this Hi Res mode and maybe a comparison to standard mode.

Robin

If you want to see pics of "Hi Res mode", talk to either Superberkut or LeGeNd-1, they can help you out!:cool:

I can take pics for you, but through a crappy camera so I don't think it shows the difference between hi-res and normal clearly. We need someone with an emulator to get good quality pics by screenshot. I don't have an emulator, sadly.

Latest Posts

Back