"Beyond The Apex" - official GT6 app for iOS (book available in PDF)

• Thread starter Dionisiy
  • 230 comments
Using the magazine/article/thingy feels kinda laggy and weird when switching between pages. It often take a few seconds on a 4th Gen iPod.

Interesting, so we have a wrapper with a list of features inside the app... Very easily expanded for other features... But before I assume it might be "the" app that will be later used for further mobile functionality there is one major problem...

No Android support... But this baffles me as it would take less than a few hours to convert this to Andoid if in fact this was a stand alone mobile app...

PD need a more universal platform to support any connectivity with the game unless they use mobile browsers (m.xxx) for it like they did with online B-spec in GT 5.

But there is another contradiction if we assume any transaction based functionality (in app purchase, in game money, car trades, track sharing, etc.). Apple has a secure infrastructure wear as android has a more open one, and there could be a pending security issue between Sony and a more open infrastructure that is more easily secured with an iOS platform...

My point? I got excited... Then I thought about it and now I'm just confused...

Wow, I just downloaded the app and found the booklet that explains car physics amazing. Being an engineering graduate, I find the physics material in there accurate, precise, to the point, comprehensive, and easy to read. It gives such a good refresh/review of my mechanical physics course in college back in the day.

The car database is also very nice touch of the apps. I can browse and read about my favorite cars and all that. Lexus LFA anyone?? :D

The best part is the app being free :D Thanks.

Wow, I just downloaded the app and found the booklet that explains car physics amazing. Being an engineering graduate, I find the physics material in there accurate, precise, to the point, comprehensive, and easy to read. It gives such a good refresh/review of my mechanical physics course in college back in the day.

The car database is also very nice touch of the apps. I can browse and read about my favorite cars and all that. Lexus LFA anyone?? :D

The best part is the app being free :D Thanks.
Screen shot of LFA entry pls :bowdown:

The app looks awesome on my Retina iPad, and I love the content. There is a lot of good reading. 5 stars.

There are 2 of them in fact, 3 if you count the GT5 Apex book.

First is Japanese GT4-related book "Gran Turismo Bible", amazingly designed and printed book that comes with DVD. It is not hardcover though, at least my copy isn't.

There is also GT4-related European release (maybe even US, I am not sure) called "Behind the Apex". It is a fabulous book that describes the process of making the GT4 and I am happy to have it in my collection as well.

There is also the first Apex book (I got it from the GT5 Signature and Collectors editions) which is identically amazing as GT Bible, but its main problem is format - it is too small in format and bigger edition would be highly welcomed.

As I understood, GT6 version of the Apex book is almost the same as GT5's, but with some smaller changes and edits.

However, I do agree how some great GT book would be welcomed, maybe one will be released in 2017, for the 20th anniversary of the series.

Thanks.

Is the "bible" book in japanese or in english?

BTW I've read the GT5 Apex book (online...) and it's amazing.

^I'm from Australia and I can open it no problem.

Kudos to PD for remembering about this app 👍 I bought the Anniversary edition and just about given up hope of ever getting the book, so it's a nice surprise. Bummer for those on Android, but give it a few months and someone will probably rip it in PDF format or similar.

The contents itself are pretty similar to the BA book included with GT5's Collector/Signature Edition. There are more pages on car mechanics, but the section on tuning is exactly the same. The track database only includes new tracks that were not in GT5, but is more detailed with pictures and different colours for track configurations (it's nice to see how the different Matterhorn configurations look together :D). The car database is useful, but I was hoping they'd stop with the -- values crap. The pentagon performance map makes it pretty cool to compare cars - just see the difference between Veyron and Citroen 2CV :lol:

The guide part of "Beyond the apex" should have been a pdf or eBook or website. I don't see any advantages in an app besides "bookmarks" and it's a pity that many of their fans cannot use it now - a book...

I've "flipped" through a few pages of the Beyond The Apex book, and I've got to say: I don't understand a single thing in there. It feels like a college text book. :lol:

Only if you have a special connector. You can also sign in to psn and Sony entertainment.
Yep, I believe that a USB OTG cable is needed. I too have an Xperia SP. I don't understand why a PDF version of this book wasn't released, then it would be compatible with most devices. Oh wait, I know why. That would be practical, wouldn't it :ouch:

Just downloaded this glad I have a ipad retina model thing looks really crisp, couldn't imagine using this on a phone it be really hard to read and the menus will suck ... Surprised a bit didn't pay Internet bill till this morning so was a nice surprise when I logged on

@ProjectWHaT it do mate I still have my college books and its exactly the same format with loads of cutout drawings

He appears to know some inside stuff, problem is what he says is exactly at odds with what PD said, that there is no plan for an Android version. So who to believe =S
You hear the defense around here quite a bit, "It has to come from PD or it doesn't mean anything", so I suppose if it comes directly from PD it's the gospel isn't it?

You hear the defense around here quite a bit, "It has to come from PD or it doesn't mean anything", so I suppose if it comes directly from PD it's the gospel isn't it?

Haha well normally that's a defence I'd agree with, although given the amount of stuff coming straight from PD that either gets lost in translation or simply means squat............ :P

And who is MastrGT? Some guy guessing or some working inside PlayStation
He's the equivilant to Jordan (please dont bash me) if I can say that, on the Playstation Forums for all thing Gran Turismo.

Last edited:
MVP's on official Playstation forums can have access to certain developers.
As MasterGT is an MVP on the US forum, and concentrates his efforts on the GT board, he has a line of communication with PD.

Android build 4.4.4 (167MB patch from 4.4.2) was just released. (Not sure if this information is important here.)

They need to program the page sliding better. When I swipe between cars or pages, there's an obvious delay and it gets really annoying.

Back