Big egos in GT5P?

GTP_DarthDrift
My priorities in life must be messed up this week judging by my age, the number of hours I've put into playing this game and the number of worthless posts I've written in this forum, but at least I recognize I have a problem! :scared:

Anyway, there's a wide range of skills while playing online and that's fine. And there will always be a fair bit of bumping, sometimes by mistake (I've done it too much), and that's fine. The problem is that some of the bumping done intentionally is just plain ego and lack of consideration, almost as if others don't deserve to be on the same track, let alone in front of you.

Example...a guy name Bennfolds and I had several consecutive good, clean races at Fuji 750 a couple days ago, many times at the front. If we bumped each other off line, we would wait and continue the racing, regardless of position in the race. In several of the races, a certain driver would just bump each of us out of the way and go on for the win. Bennfolds and I exchanged messages on the good racing he and I had (he had some sub-5s) and on this particularly aggressive driver, agreeing that what the guy was doing was bad.

So, I sent a message to the other driver to try explain that the racing could be better. Here is our exchange...

Darthdrift: "Dude, it's a lot more fun if you don't just ram us off the road in order to get past. Try doing it cleanly. See ya on the track!"

Other driver: "yea I'm well aware of that, trust me it annoys me just as much as you, but that was just close racing, i wasnt aiming for you! I'm one of the best in the uk, so u dont need to lecture me"

Darth Drift: "Cool, look forward to seeing you out there. Always a pleasure to race with one of the best =)"

This was hilarious to me (reminded me of Jango saying "always a pleasure to meet a Jedi"), especially since I have seen some of you guys from the UK race and this guy is nowhere near many of you.

Is ego a problem that affects our behavior in GT5P racing? Even worse, I hope that just because some of us choose to use the GTP_ name that we are not viewed as having an ego problem (I've considered not using it while I learn a track). I get beat all the time and just enjoy the racing, so I know my place, but jeesh, you can't even communicate through the egos of some people. Thoughts?

Being a GTP driver and driving a GTR or a GT LM is IMHO the worst combination to run in regards to what others view you as. I'm indeed one of these drivers. As an example, I was racing 750PP Daytona road a few weeks ago and a guy named "Gangstadriver" was on my rear bumper out of the last banking before the finishing and we went for a drag race, I left off the gas so he passes me, I draft him, but he swerves all around the track, I finally pass him before the finish line but he bumps me to the wall and takes the win.

Following a PM, his answer was this: "I can beat any GTP drivers, [insert insult here]you GT LM users are all the same and never want to loose!"

Yes, I guess that's what we are..

I guess I am having a totally different experience....yes I have had problems with many other drivers all over the globe... and with all but one....I am in contact with, and we work together instead of against........ most people would rather have fun .... the tougher they are the more they respect a really good machine.... this is what we are all looking for...being bad fast.......tedsleds

Last edited:
I never PM cheaters/punters. If they don't behave on track I don't expect them to have a civilized conversation.

btw, the phrase "I'm one of the best in the uk, so u dont need to lecture me" is hilarious :lol:

"I can beat any GTP drivers, [insert insult here]you GT LM users are all the same and never want to loose!"

I'd love to see him try and beat the guys here... And does anyone actually want to lose?...

I've often considered putting the GTP tag in front of my name, show I'm part of the team and give people the impression in advance that I intend to race them cleanly - but at the same time I think a tag is like a red rag to a bull for some people online and they'll go out of their way to try and prove they're "better" than someone.

@cmpinberkeley - I can't believe the ego of that guy you messaged. When I've messaged people before for their very below-par driving standards as a rule they've been very apologetic indeed. Any chance of naming and shaming Mr. Ego just in case anyone here comes across him and his driving is a little rough to them too?

the phrase "I'm one of the best in the uk, so u dont need to lecture me" is hilarious :lol:

Yeh, that quote is fairly laughable... perhaps someone should tell them that winning means nothing unless you can do it fairly. Any idiot can smack their way through to the front. Still, it seems to me to be rather pointless to claim to be "one of the best" because all that really means is that you obviously are not playing against enough people! I used to think I was pretty good at poker because I'd win more than my fair share of games against my buddies. It turns out we were all pretty rubbish at poker all along, hence why I got my arse handed to me the first time I played against a different group of people. It would be pretty handy if there was a paradigm shift in some people's minds about what constitutes a good racing experience... driving well but losing to a closely matched and fair adversary is far more rewarding than winning against a group of novices, or cheating your way infront of fairer drivers, IMO.

It seems people with GTP tags sometimes do the same thing though, only they feel they are better then someone else because they uphold the "clean racing drivers" whatever. I'm all for not intentionally ramming someone or trying to spin them out, but really if I make contact with someone because we are racing close and hard I really don't care. I've gotten messaged saying "That's not how GTP racers should be", which I really don't understand. I tend to ignore them because really I feel as if I'm racing just fine but the whole thing really turns me off from the game. People either don't take it serious at all and play crash em smash em or they over do it and suck all the fun out of the game.

And before someone says that if I don't like online I should just quit playing it, and the answer to that is I have for the most part but I do like to take full advantage of the games features from time to time since GT5:P's online offers me a better experience then Forza does in terms of racing.

It will be nice to be able to make private matches since I will be able to race friends who share similar casual gamer ideas as myself.

not to be a downer but in the last several days of racing the guy who punted me the best had a GTP in his name in fact a friend in the race messaged me about it.....guys take the egos out .....relax...race.....tedsleds

you know once is one thing ...the last turn at Daytona ....a hard hit ??? ...I was going to contact him until I saw how many post he has ....and as with my own philosophy ... I....went on racing.....it works....I am getting more enjoyment this way.......tedsleds

For me, it's the thrill of the racing, certainly if it's with clean racers. winning is a bonus, but it's the exitement of a good close race that matters to me. Punters do often spoil it a lot of the time, but I just laugh it off. Ramming your way to a podium place takes no skill, but they get a sense of achievement from it.

Ive played against GTP darthdrift, the last time we where in the same race, i beat him, so that must mean that i am going to conquer the WWOOORRRLLLLDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!! :crazy: lol

@tedsleds: report him.

@Joey D: of course close racing leads to contact very often, that doesn't bother anyone, I guess. Apart from that, wearing the GTP tag isn't about prejudice. It's about:
a) belonging to this community;
b) accepting the code of online conduct from GTP;
c) wanting to enter official GTP tournaments, championships, leagues, whatever, when private rooms become available.

If wearing a GTP tag makes me a target for some players out there, that's not my problem. It's theirs.

Im tempted to laugh at a punter but cant get them on my players met option.
f someone punts me I go catch up and give them a taste of their own medicine :P

I only do revenge punts dont worry :dopey:

@Joey D: of course close racing leads to contact very often, that doesn't bother anyone, I guess. Apart from that, wearing the GTP tag isn't about prejudice. It's about:
a) belonging to this community;
b) accepting the code of online conduct from GTP;
c) wanting to enter official GTP tournaments, championships, leagues, whatever, when private rooms become available.

If wearing a GTP tag makes me a target for some players out there, that's not my problem. It's theirs.

As you can see I have a GTP tag, although I made mine when I got my PS3 a year ago before GT5P was out.

When I do race I'm going to bump a bit because lets face it, pretty much all forms of racing have contact in it. However, I will never intention ram someone to spin them out, put them into a wall, etc. But if tap them in the back while close racing around a corner I don't believe I should get a message telling me I'm not a clean racer and that's not how people with GTP tags are supposed to race. Last time I checked GT was about racing, not everyday driving on the road.

Alot of my issues happen at Daytona Oval and I think for some reason people think side bumping and running someone into the wall is "real" racing thanks to movies like Days of Thunder. I can see accidental bumping in the corners because you've come in too fast but spinning folks out intentionally as you pass them on a straight is inexcusable. If that really happened then wouldn't there only be 3 or 4 cars left in the race at the Daytona 500?

When questionable racing occurs, I usually make note of the racer and move on to another track. If it keeps happening, I'll move off my GTP tag and do the needful. The nice thing about all this is that I actually think people who race questionably get bored with it faster than people who try to race cleanly. Or enough people go after them that they realize they aren't doing themselves any favors and getting to a point where they will never be able to win because half of the folks in the race just want to take them out.

EDIT: and for those of you who haven't had the privilege of racing tedsleds on the Daytona Oval I highly recommend it ... he has one killer ride. 👍

Last edited:
when I contact someone for bad racing it is to not make him feel like dirt.... instead show him that I want to work with him....it works... I am tell you... hey get in a race with me I will race you hard and fair.. I am looking for speed ... all the time I am on the track.................tedsleds

When I contact someone it's to damn well let them know that I found their racing appauling. If they contact me back apologising then I thank them and express my wish to race them again sometime a little cleaner. If they don't reply then I just hope I don't race them again.

As you can see I have a GTP tag, although I made mine when I got my PS3 a year ago before GT5P was out.

When I do race I'm going to bump a bit because lets face it, pretty much all forms of racing have contact in it. However, I will never intention ram someone to spin them out, put them into a wall, etc. But if tap them in the back while close racing around a corner I don't believe I should get a message telling me I'm not a clean racer and that's not how people with GTP tags are supposed to race. Last time I checked GT was about racing, not everyday driving on the road.

So your telling me, that if you go to a track to do a friendly race, lets say like a NASA event, and your driving your race car, thats cost hundreds of thousands of dollars and in a close race you will actually bump someone just to let them know you are there, sorry my friend but that is ridiculous, one small bump at those speeds means that something in your car is going to break, or you are going to lose control and crash. sorry but most of the events ive been to, ive never seen anyone bump anyone just because it is ment to happen in a race, when a bump occurs, thats when accidents happend, and me personally if you hit my car, after the race you better know that i will come up to you and make sure to not make a very good first impression.

So your telling me, that if you go to a track to do a friendly race, lets say like a NASA event, and your driving your race car, thats cost hundreds of thousands of dollars and in a close race you will actually bump someone just to let them know you are there, sorry my friend but that is ridiculous, one small bump at those speeds means that something in your car is going to break, or you are going to lose control and crash. sorry but most of the events ive been to, ive never seen anyone bump anyone just because it is ment to happen in a race, when a bump occurs, thats when accidents happend, and me personally if you hit my car, after the race you better know that i will come up to you and make sure to not make a very good first impression.

It's racing, if you take your car to a track with other vehicles on it you better accept the fact that you may get hit. That's my point. I don't go out and play demolition derby but if I hit you because we are racing hard then it's just a consequence of doing that.

But really it's a game, I don't care if you bump my virtual car.

hales, you should probably watch a NASCAR race tomorrow, then because those guys do bump each other, and they don't always wreck.

Joey isn't saying he's going to bump someone to let them know he's there, he's just saying if he does bump someone accidentally, he's not going to apologize for it because bumps are a part of racing.

i lol'd at the "I'm one of the best in the uk, so u dont need to lecture me" haha jeeez

some people act really up their arse, I would consider myself a good racer but i wouldn't say im the best. Theres certain events that im really good on but theres certain ones im not. I never boast like that. If i happen to hit someone by accident at the end of the race i always apoligise to the person if they are in the Players Met List. And whenever i have great races with someone concectutvely i like to send a nice message like very good racing. And most of the time i get the same mesage back. But people acting liek stupdi idiots on the track dont seem to matter to me anymore since they turn invisble and most of the time they wont ruin your race. If a cocky person your racing with for example forces you off the track and makes you take the outside line and keep pushing you then of course you would be annoyed. im a respectable person when racing on GT5 i hope to see any good racers on here soon :)

EDIT: and for those of you who haven't had the privilege of racing tedsleds on the Daytona Oval I highly recommend it ... he has one killer ride. 👍

I remember tedsleds on the Daytona Speedway, very competitive. Usually up there with the leading pack.

It's racing, if you take your car to a track with other vehicles on it you better accept the fact that you may get hit. That's my point. I don't go out and play demolition derby but if I hit you because we are racing hard then it's just a consequence of doing that.

But really it's a game, I don't care if you bump my virtual car.

i agree with what your saying that it might happen, but the whole thing that it is a race and no matter what there is going to be bumps and contact, that is BS.

and regarding the game, i agree, its a game, some people just like to take it like if they where really racing, it makes it a lot more fun if you actually race clean, and try to pass another racer like if you where in a real event, not crashing, bumping and all the other stuff that goes on these days online, ive gotten to the point that i dont even want to race clean anymore, the first thing i do when i see the list come up is to make sure that there are no GTP players listed, if there isnt, its ON!!!! because i am expecting to get hit left and right, and if they do it and win the race, why not take their side and do the same thing and have a chance at winning.

i agree with what your saying that it might happen, but the whole thing that it is a race and no matter what there is going to be bumps and contact, that is BS.
How is it BS when it's true? Out of the professional racing series, it is a rarity that there is not 1 contact between 2 drivers, whether it is intentional, avoidable, or accidental.

Nobody's promoting it, but bumping & contact is a part of racing, and race drivers learn to live & avoid it at the best of their abilities.

Reventón;3115059
hales, you should probably watch a NASCAR race tomorrow, then because those guys do bump each other, and they don't always wreck.

Joey isn't saying he's going to bump someone to let them know he's there, he's just saying if he does bump someone accidentally, he's not going to apologize for it because bumps are a part of racing.

Ive actually been to nascar events personally, ive gone to two different nascar events at PIR and i was right at the fence listening to those beautiful engines, i know there is a lot of bumping in nascar but they are going in a circle, im talking about like fuji, and a road race where normal people with there own money go out to these events and race there cars that later they park in there garage at home. if you see Formula 1 racing, if there is a minimal amount of contact, the car pretty much breaks. If you have sponsors and unlimited amount of money to repair your cars, like Nascar, then hell yeah, who cares if there is contact.

Every track day I've ever been to has had some sort of contact between vehicles, especially if they are racing hard. Granted most of the time when guys take there expensive Ferrari's or Porshce's out they aren't racing each other for the win as much as they are just having fun with their vehicles. So no, it's not BS.

Back