Big egos in GT5P?

The biggest problem with Suzuka, at least in my experience, are the players who think it's a good idea to go three- or four-wide in the esses. It always ends badly, especially when one of these people end up on the inside of the corner and push everyone else off the track.

Big grids are a problem, simply because there are more people who don't follow proper racing technique. Smaller grids are better because there's a smaller chance that a moron will be there to knock you off. That said, I still miss professional physics races on Suzuka and really want them back, even if it means dealing with these players again.

There are places we're all too familiar with, such as turn 1 Fuji or Suzuka after a standing start, where it's an all out melee. In these cases, I still do my best to avoid contact, but expect it anyway. I trust my driving enough to know I'm not causing anyone to go off in these cases, so just try to survive and make it through the turn. People inevitably go off, and some of them after trading paint with my car, but if I waited every time this happened, I'd always start every race from the back after turn 1.
Although I hate, well dislike, Fuji, I love Turn 1 online. It seems, from my time there, that very few drivers that understand physics & braking points because a lot of them really overshoot that first turn in the faster cars. :lol:

The biggest problem with Suzuka, at least in my experience, are the players who think it's a good idea to go three- or four-wide in the esses. It always ends badly, especially when one of these people end up on the inside of the corner and push everyone else off the track.

Big grids are a problem, simply because there are more people who don't follow proper racing technique. Smaller grids are better because there's a smaller chance that a moron will be there to knock you off. That said, I still miss professional physics races on Suzuka and really want them back, even if it means dealing with these players again.

Pro 750pp Suzuka would be a good addition in the next events update. It's a difficult track to master, certainly with Pro physics,

I cant believe some people can do anything, and I mean ANYTHING to win!

There are plenty of "i'll just ram my way to the front" merchants online, it's just part of the way it is at the moment. I just grin and bear it. It will change with major updates thoiugh... I hope.

Other driver: "yea I'm well aware of that, trust me it annoys me just as much as you, but that was just close racing, i wasnt aiming for you! I'm one of the best in the uk, so u dont need to lecture me"

I'm one of the best in the us, so u dont need to lecture me.

Be good to find out the guys PSN ID, it would certainly be good to race him, especially with such a bold statement like that. He sure is a funny guy.

Suzuka is such a complex track with esses, hairpins and a tight chicane, it does pose a danger in a crowded situation, but if you can manage to get in front and stay there, then it's not a problem, but then staying ahead is easier said than done lol.

Agree 100% on that

Grtz

Bryan

Ok, first of all I'll state that I have grew a bit of an ego in GT5P. I'm not particularly proud of it, but its the truth. However I don't pride myself from winning, and i don't think i'm the fastest, i pride myself on my racing ability, the ability to overtake cleanly, know when and where to do the right things. That said I aim to gain some kind of reputation along those lines rather then the people discussed here, the 'do anything at any cost to win', a hard fought 2nd, 3rd 4th or wherever position will always gain more respect from the poeple that matter then a dirty win.

I think the issue with the punters discussed here, is they gauge themselves based on wins instead of there actual race performance. Alot of them hit GTP tags because they want to beat them, maybe even to gain respect of the community because they think we (the GTP community) respect a winner. Thats why i believe messaging them is now proving to be a viable solution, before many punters just were out there to win, these seem to be weeding out leaving the guys who want to prove themself.

I just think we need to get that point across to as many as we can, that clean losses are looked upon higher then dirty victories, I urge everyone here to message punters of this message, if they dont take it in, nothing lost nothing gained no harm done. If they do however, you could be saving multiple peoples races in the future.

My personal code of conduct:

1. I will always do my best to avoid contact.
2. If I cause contact and gain a position as a result, I'll wait and let the victim of my mistake resume the race ahead of me.
3. If I don't cause the contact (for example, if I feel the contact is the result of the other driver's error, or I get pinballed into someone, sending them off) I generally will resume the race without waiting.
4. If I'm not sure if I caused the other to go off or not, I'll generally assume I was at fault and wait. Even so, this is a judgment call, and sometimes I get it wrong.

There are places we're all too familiar with, such as turn 1 Fuji or Suzuka after a standing start, where it's an all out melee. In these cases, I still do my best to avoid contact, but expect it anyway. I trust my driving enough to know I'm not causing anyone to go off in these cases, so just try to survive and make it through the turn. People inevitably go off, and some of them after trading paint with my car, but if I waited every time this happened, I'd always start every race from the back after turn 1.

I am definetly in agreement here, its certainly very close to my personal code of conduct. Personally I would like to see all tagged members behave like this and certainly from what I have seen they do. 👍

@cmpinberkeley - Any chance of naming and shaming Mr. Ego just in case anyone here comes across him and his driving is a little rough to them too?

Nah, I got publicly flamed by some knob on my second day being a GTP member and not only was it completely inappropriate but he was also wrong. Maybe this guy here just had a bad day (ego aside). Him and others like him will be weeded out over time as the game evolves. If I have close racing with him again, I'll be sure to prod :mischievous: him into continuing our messaging conversation and post it here.

As for contact, I agree with Vaxen's code of conduct. While incidental contact is a part of real life racing, you rarely see the same driver with multiple incidents with different drivers over the course of a race. I am praying that longer races and damage in a "GT5 simulation mode" that affects the performance of the car will make all of this moot and require us all to avoid contact at all costs. That would make this game more realistic and more rewarding for drivers when doing well in a race.

On damage, I suspect that the graphics aspect of it is what is holding up PD. I would be satisfied if there was functional damage that affects performance without perfectly modeled visual effects (could come later), but PD knows that we would all complain :grumpy:

Talking of ego's, how about some people take it a little easier into the first corner and realise different cars have different braking abilities.

Hopefully longer races will put an end to the first lap carnage.

Nah, I got publicly flamed by some knob on my second day being a GTP member and not only was it completely inappropriate but he was also wrong. Maybe this guy here just had a bad day (ego aside). Him and others like him will be weeded out over time as the game evolves. If I have close racing with him again, I'll be sure to prod :mischievous: him into continuing our messaging conversation and post it here.

As for contact, I agree with Vaxen's code of conduct. While incidental contact is a part of real life racing, you rarely see the same driver with multiple incidents with different drivers over the course of a race. I am praying that longer races and damage in a "GT5 simulation mode" that affects the performance of the car will make all of this moot and require us all to avoid contact at all costs. That would make this game more realistic and more rewarding for drivers when doing well in a race.

On damage, I suspect that the graphics aspect of it is what is holding up PD. I would be satisfied if there was functional damage that affects performance without perfectly modeled visual effects (could come later), but PD knows that we would all complain :grumpy:

So you're talking about GTP_Z28? :dunce:

sound's like a right TIT.
How does he quantify that? I mean, did he win some All-UK race-off thing?

I find it ironic, but not unexpected that ego plays a part in the online games. Firstly, racing drivers are, by default, arrogant to a certain extent. They kind of have to be; you need a kind of narcissistic super-confidence to be able to propel a racing car around a circuit. But it's ironic that it's filtered down into video gamers.

But ego is always a part of an online game, and people are always touchy about it. I remember once I was playing a bit of Halo 2 online in capture-the-flag event. While I had some experience, I was pretty new to the stage, so my team mates suggested I stay back and guard the flag, which is a pretty sensible tactic beause capturing your opponent's flag is only half the game; making sure yours stays put is the other half.

Anyway, one of the other team members broke through and managed to get into our base only to be caught on the wrong end of my rifle. Cue a long-winded rant about how n00b campers shouldn't be allowed on the server and how he was one of the best gamers in his country - can't recall which one it was - and that we were a disgrace. I just told him that it wasn't my job to make him look like he sucked less than he did by leaving my base wide open to attack, that common sense dictated it was a good tactic, and if he was really as good as he claimed, why the hell did he enter the base and make a beeline for the flag without so much as sweeping the place first for defenders?

He logged off.

Ok, first of all I'll state that I have grew a bit of an ego in GT5P. I'm not particularly proud of it, but its the truth. However I don't pride myself from winning, and i don't think i'm the fastest, i pride myself on my racing ability, the ability to overtake cleanly, know when and where to do the right things. That said I aim to gain some kind of reputation along those lines rather then the people discussed here, the 'do anything at any cost to win', a hard fought 2nd, 3rd 4th or wherever position will always gain more respect from the poeple that matter then a dirty win.

I think the issue with the punters discussed here, is they gauge themselves based on wins instead of there actual race performance. Alot of them hit GTP tags because they want to beat them, maybe even to gain respect of the community because they think we (the GTP community) respect a winner. Thats why i believe messaging them is now proving to be a viable solution, before many punters just were out there to win, these seem to be weeding out leaving the guys who want to prove themself.

I just think we need to get that point across to as many as we can, that clean losses are looked upon higher then dirty victories, I urge everyone here to message punters of this message, if they dont take it in, nothing lost nothing gained no harm done. If they do however, you could be saving multiple peoples races in the future.

It's all true what you say, but I think most of the punters are just giong to carry on their bad driving habits regardless of whether you send them a PSN message asking them why they punt people. I used to PM the punters with a polite message, but half the time they wouldn't reply, or if they did, it would be an insulting reply. I just don't bother messaging them anymore. I just remember their ID and do my best to avoid them.

I used to PM the punters with a polite message, but half the time they wouldn't reply, or if they did, it would be an insulting reply. I just don't bother messaging them anymore.
On rare occasions have I PM-ed a punter about his behaviour. Each time I got a polite apology back. Like this weekend on HSR when I expressed my surprise and disappointment in a PM to a german racer that he as a German driver would result to punting. He came back promptly with a "Sorry". 👍

On rare occasions have I PM-ed a punter about his behaviour. Each time I got a polite apology back. Like this weekend on HSR when I expressed my surprise and disappointment in a PM to a german racer that he as a German driver would result to punting. He came back promptly with a "Sorry". 👍

Prehaps he didn't intend to punt you, so you got a respectfull reply. It's the intentional punters i'm refering to, they do sometimes reply with insults, so I don't waste my time PM'ing punters now. If I have a good clean race with someone, regardless whether I win or not - I PM them and thank them for the good race. Thats how i've gotten friend requests, or i'll send them a friend request.

Last edited:
Prehaps he didn't intend to punt you, so you got a respectfull reply. It's the intentional punters i'm refering to, they do sometimes reply with insults, so I don't waste my time PM'ing punters now. If I have a good clean race with someone, regardless whether I win or not - I PM them and thank them for the good race. Thats how i've gotten friend requests, or i'll send them a friend request.
No doubt his punting was intentional, he tried (and after a handfull of punts succeeded) to take me out on the HSR straight. :nervous:

I will not PM everyone though (e.g. some [ES] drivers), just because of the probable insults you refer to. It is not always worth the effort.

No doubt his punting was intentional, he tried (and after a handfull of punts succeeded) to take me out on the HSR straight. :nervous:

I will not PM everyone though (e.g. some [ES] drivers), just because of the probable insults you refer to. It is not always worth the effort.

I wouldn't say it's the country the guy is from, theres good and bad intentions in every nationality. I just book it down to some people having chips on their shoulders and don't like losing, so it's an "anything goes to win" attitude with them.

It's interesting seeing that some people get insults thrown at them if they message people and others only apologies - I've not had an abusive message back yet (touch wood) but I only ever message people if they've genuinely punted me and not just hit me accidentally.

I guess some people do it with an "out of my way!" attitude who are more likely not to care if you message them, and others are just used to it from racing against the AI and don't realise that it can actually really annoy other players. Guess I've just been getting hit by the latter.

..., and others are just used to it from racing against the AI and don't realise that it can actually really annoy other players.
Nice observation, I hadn't looked at it that way yet. 👍

I find it quite interesting why punters are punting, if only they could be reached with a small survey, with e.g. one simple question: "Why do you intentionally try to hit other cars of the track or into a spin?" with possible answers:
- I do?
- I don't!
- Because PD lets me.
- Because all you tagged drivers need to be taught a lesson in humility.
- Because it is great fun.
- Because I want to win at all cost.
- None of your business.
- etc.

:dopey:

P.S. this is not intented to be taken seriously :)

It's interesting seeing that some people get insults thrown at them if they message people and others only apologies - I've not had an abusive message back yet (touch wood) but I only ever message people if they've genuinely punted me and not just hit me accidentally.

I guess some people do it with an "out of my way!" attitude who are more likely not to care if you message them, and others are just used to it from racing against the AI and don't realise that it can actually really annoy other players. Guess I've just been getting hit by the latter.

You could look at it this way, some people will hold a door open for you if your directly behind them in a shopping mall, and others will just let the door close on you and don't care if it knocks you over. Same kind of deal in online racing, some people will have respect for racing lines, and some just want to drive right through you.

Last edited:
Yea, they totally do it because their is no repercussions. I've said it a bunch before but the only way to make it stop is if they implement a 2-car penalty system. So if I get rammed, and within 3 seconds my car has 4 wheels off the track, or has faced the wrong direction (i.e. spinning) then the rammer gets penalized 5 seconds.

All they have to do is make the detection of who was at fault better and then increase the penalties and maybe make it so that the dude that did the bumping can not pass anyone for 30 secs or so, perhaps even make the dude that punted come to a total stand still.

Seriously though, the only real cure is to turn collisions off completely or at least give us the option. I used to play a lot of Testdrive unlimited and you had the choice of creating races with collisions on or off and 99% would run with collisions off because it was just VASTLY more enjoyable when not having to deal with punting idiots. The only time we'd run with collisions on was in a passworded host with trusted friends.

PD can't even tell when we're actually taking a shortcut or when we're just returning to the track after sliding 400ft through a sandtrap. So what makes you think they can accurately detect who was at fault?

and like somebody already pointed out, if we turn collisions off, then onlines 'races' turn into online '16-player-simultaneous-time-trials-with-lap-restrictions'

One of the things that narks me, is when I take a turn and use the rubble strip, I get a penalty for shaving a couple of blades of grass.

Last edited:
You could look at it this way, some people will hold a door open for you if your directly behind them in a shopping mall, and others will just let the door close on you and don't care if it knocks you over.

That's a good way of putting it. Some people don't even think that there might be someone behind who might wanna go through the door too. "Courtesy costs nothing, but not everyone it seems can afford it".

Back