BMW 3-Series (G20) / M3 (G80) / 4-Series / M4

I just had the misfortune to sight the new 4-series G82 while driving past my local BMW dealer and honestly, I wish I didn't. To make things worse, it had the chrome finishing on the ''grill''.

It doesn't look any better in person, in fact, I'd argue that it's just as hideous or even worse than seen on pictures.

I'll have to visit the them soon to see if they've got the M-models in stock.

Edit : Had to get a new set of locking bolts from my local dealer and they had the M440i in stock. I took my time to take a good look at it, especially the front, and it was an absolute eyesore. It makes the 7-series Hitler mustasche tolerable.

Last edited:
The E92 is no beauty, but even this comparison paints the new one in a very bad light.

Nice comparison between the new car and the E92

7MVZhZ5.gif

At the end of that ad, their slogan says "M Town: Where Too Much Is Just Right".

No truer words have been said about BMW's attitude towards M part pricing.

Had to scroll to page 2 and over half a month back to find any BMW news in which to post Doug's opinion. For the record I agree with literally everything he's said. BMW makes precisely one honest and desirable car right now, the M2, and everything else is for rich business people. They don't even look good like Audis and there's nothing intriguing about them like Mercedes. They're just miserable. If Audi is Europe's Mazda, and Mercedes is Europe's Toyota, then BMW is Europe's Nissan.

I think one problem is that they don't race anything and haven't for a long time. Well, okay that's not true, they race the 8-series in GT which is a ridiculous idea because it's an enormously expensive and unattainable car which in street form doesn't represent the classic brand image at all, with its massive size, massive price, and lack of identity. Hell I'm only 32 but I still remember the real 8-series which was spectacularly desirable and still is. Perhaps BMW should be racing a car that people can actually associate with and attain, like erm idk, the 3-series? Just a thought. Audi and Porsche have dominated endurance racing in recent memory and publicized it to great effect, and Mercedes has dominated F1 for years now. What has BMW done? Lost to Corvette? Sweet.

All of my friends want E36 and E46 M3s, E39 M5s, we dream of E31s and would love to waft down the highway in an E38. One friend has actually owned a manual E28, others have owned E28s, E21s, and E46s. Since then? The 1-series was hideous, the 1M is rare and expensive, and the M2 is so new and expensive none of us can afford it. Apparently the E90 turbo engines are beasts but again you have to be interested in tuning a modern turbo engine and otherwise driving a generation of car which is in between eras when it comes to infotainment - it's too new to have an easily replaceable radio and speakers, but too old to be easily adapted for Apple Carplay, and it's too nice to strip and turn into a ripper.

BMW has lost its zest and as we transition into an EV market they're going to have a helluva time inspiring desire in young people. EVs are already marginally desirable at best, or at least the EVs that legacy OEMs are creating. Tesla has managed it through the mysticism of the company as a whole but nobody else has the advantage of being new and innovative.

When you would rather buy something from a company like Ford than BMW because Ford actually makes things that are relevant, accessible, and exciting, you know BMW has really fallen off the edge. Not a fan. I'd rather have a Cadillac and that's not saying much.

Had to scroll to page 2 and over half a month back to find any BMW news in which to post Doug's opinion.

This may have been a better fit for the BMW i thread, but it can be discussed here as the 4 Series also represents the problem at BMW.

Having watched the video, I see where Doug is coming from. BMW appears to have succeeded in gaining market share with all the mainstream models it has introduced over the years, but now it is no longer quite the desirable brand it once was since BMWs are so ubiquitous.

Alongside Tesla, I would argue BMW has even lost ground to Audi in terms of coolness since the turn of the century. BMW hasn't had a proper competitor to the Audi R8 and when that is phased out, the E-Tron GT will be the new flagship for Audi which shares its underpinnings with a Porsche. The highly-divisive iX would be a poor choice for BMW to use as a poster vehicle in reponse.

He nearly lost me at "cohesion". It's like the 'j'-word(juxtapose). We don't say that word in my house.

Anyway, The front looks high, but overall, it reminds me of an M2 or 1M. I don't mind it. An M wagon would be cool.

HOWEVER, that right side shot, while it's moving, the green with black wheels, makes it llook like a Chevy Lumina/Impala-un-marked-RMP, on steelies.

It's even uglier in motion than it is sitting still. Well done BMW.

It actually looks even worse in lighter colors:

But at least it's supposedly great to drive.

I'm waiting for the official release of the M3 Touring. I don't mind that the grille is so big. In fact I think the M3 is a gorgeous car. The M4, not so much :yuck:.

I'm waiting for the official release of the M3 Touring. I don't mind that the grille is so big. In fact I think the M3 is a gorgeous car. The M4, not so much :yuck:.

Yeah, much prefer the M3 rather than the M4.
I hear what you're saying and you're not wrong, but you're also wrong.

While the M4 has become a bit of a longboi, and doesn't even have the Hoffmeister kink which is blasphemous, it also does not come from the factory pre-crashed.

2021-bmw-m4-competition-104-1615416372.jpg

versus...

2021-bmw-m3-competition-107-1615299663.jpg

2021-bmw-m3-117-1615299293.jpg

None of you are talking about this inexcusable design failure. The beancounters stamped all new fender flares but they couldn't stamp a door panel that blends the flare into the newly stamped fenders? So instead of blending it they decided to stamp disgusting ugly fenders that look like they've been dented in an accident? What were these people thinking?

The M4 angers me a big that its lost some of BMW's traditional design features but at least it doesn't appear broken. I'd still sell either of them if I won them in the lottery.

Last edited:
I didn't notice the dented fenders. It does match the front fender though. I'm not bothered with how the rear fenders look. As I said, I'm only interested in the new M3 Touring.

There is something about fast "station wagons" that attract me a lot.
  • Audi RS4/6 Avant
  • BMW M3 Touring
  • Mercedes's
  • Porsche Panamera Sport Turismo
  • Porsche Taycan Cross Turismo

While the M4 has become a bit of a longboi, and doesn't even have the Hoffmeister kink which is blasphemous, it also does not come from the factory pre-crashed.

versus...

View attachment 997490

View attachment 997489

None of you are talking about this inexcusable design failure. The beancounters stamped all new fender flares but they couldn't stamp a door panel that blends the flare into the newly stamped fenders? So instead of blending it they decided to stamp disgusting ugly fenders that look like they've been dented in an accident? What were these people thinking?

The M4 angers me a big that its lost some of BMW's traditional design features but at least it doesn't appear broken. I'd still sell either of them if I won them in the lottery.
Oh yeah I know about that stupid rear fender. It sticks out like a sore thumb and I can't fathom what the bimmer guys were thinking when they design it.
Still, the overall 4 door proportions are better than the 2 door. I hate the 2 door proportions with a passion.

Last edited:
The Mustang had to grow on me once the rear glass was laid so low. These low glass coupes, are looking more like MR configurations. Not liking them.

The Mustang had to grow on me once the rear glass was laid so low. These low glass coupes, are looking more like MR configurations. Not liking them.
I can kinda see that especially since they’re getting so long. But the Mustang still has much better proportions than the M4.

versus...

View attachment 997490

View attachment 997489

Oh man, that's straight up embarrassing. I think I actually prefer the front end overall compared to the previous M3/M4 (ignoring the grill, it's just cleaner design) but that grill.

Back