BMW 8 Series Return

• Thread starter lxmmy
  • 239 comments
0-100 km/h in 3.1 seconds? Where does it end?

I have this discussion with my brother every time a bonkers figure like this is released. I saw a video where the theoretical acceleration limit to 60mph is something like 1.8s. Perhaps once we reach that, manufacturers will concentrate more on the 0-100mph or 0-150mph? No idea really!

Even 'normal' cars can hit 60 in under 8s these days so are we going to see normal cars hitting 60mph in 3s or 4s in 10 or 15 years?

I have this discussion with my brother every time a bonkers figure like this is released. I saw a video where the theoretical acceleration limit to 60mph is something like 1.8s. Perhaps once we reach that, manufacturers will concentrate more on the 0-100mph or 0-150mph? No idea really!

Even 'normal' cars can hit 60 in under 8s these days so are we going to see normal cars hitting 60mph in 3s or 4s in 10 or 15 years?
With the new electric cars being released in the next 5 - 10 years, I'm pretty sure it will.

M8 GranCoupe

Pretty much exactly what was expected

bmw-8-series_100691611_h.jpg

bmw-8-series_100691614_h.jpg

bmw-8-series_100691617_h.jpg

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1121489_2020-bmw-m8-gran-coupe-spy-shots

and guess "DTM/Championship Edition"

It won't be either since they've nothing to celebrate in the DTM (especially with the 8-er), and no other championships to celebrate (especially with the 8-er). CS is indeed more likely.

I hope the next gen 8 series is actually shaped like a car anybody would want to drive.

I think that looks hot as hell. I still cant get over how much it 'shares' influences with the Mustang. That c pillar treatment.

And that convertible looks like the ultimate Prince rock video sled.

I'm ok with that overgrown sideways growing grille. at least its not like the m4.

I kind of question what this is for? I mean an M4 doesnt do it for you? I assume they're all powered by a twin turbo v8 of 4.0 - like everyone else.

That whole concept of a 4,400lb 'personal' coupe concept was started by the americans in the 60s.

My '69 Cutlass S didn't weigh that much with a 7.1L-auto, 12-bolt rear and airconditioning.

Anyway, rear windows of the 8 and 4 are too much. The cars are more Vantage now, than 3.0CSL&2002 heritage.

Another 8 series has been spied with new lights and a wing. According to BMW, it's not a CSL. M Division's 50th year is in 2022 so it could be a special edition for that celebrates that.

View attachment 1076532
This thing got three-row seating or what, Jesus H. Hell the doors are closer to the front wheels than to the rears!

This thing got three-row seating or what, Jesus H. Hell the doors are closer to the front wheels than to the rears!
And the windshield ends halfway through the door. I don't think I've seen that before.

And the windshield ends halfway through the door. I don't think I've seen that before.
Yeah, it looks very weird. Half of the door is unusable...why does it even open? The entire door should be shifted like a foot rearwards.

I don't see a problem with the door.
1630185696622.png

1630185817747.png

1630186016992.png

I figure the door should be more forward for rear legroom? More space between the door and rear wheel opening&axle line? I mean, head space is already limited. Might as well have a little more knee room.

This thing looks like one of those highway construction trucks with the flashing lights and big crumple zone things hanging off the back in case a car blasts into it at 80 mph:

BMW 8-series.jpg

tma-work-zone-safety-portable-positive-protection.png

Absolute donkey.

Last edited:
The glasshouse looks like it's only 4/5 the height it should be for a bodyside that deep. Hideous.

You're bothered by the design of a stupid door? :odd:
This thing looks like one of those highway construction trucks with the flashing lights and big crumple zone things hanging off the back in case a car blasts into it at 80 mph
How?

Back