BMW 8 Series Return

• Thread starter lxmmy
  • 239 comments
Of course. Thing is for originalitys sake they still could have offered a BMW V12 for this car & not use a Rolls Royce V12 like in the 7 Series if it was offered.

The Rolls V12 is of BMW design and build anyways. Also as @McLaren said why offer something that would drastically alter the price and try to sell it along side a twin turbo V8 that is easily producing the same power as the current V12s? I mean can you name me current V12s that sit in the below $200k USD bracket and are also GT based?

Of course. Thing is for originalitys sake they still could have offered a BMW V12 for this car & not use a Rolls Royce V12 like in the 7 Series if it was offered.
That would require them to build an all-new V12 if they chose not to use a N74 then, which would kick the price up a lot. The current N74 in the 760iL is already close to $160,000.

They expect the 8 to start around $120,000-130,000 based on a similar S560 Coupe which would also slot it right where the M6GC was situated at. It keeps it just below the 760iL AWD & i8 as well and leaves room for a M8 to come around $150-160,000 potentially; that would put it just under the S63/GT-R cars with similar power & price, though the GT-R would likely be a different breed.

Nice to see a new 8 series if forthcoming and it looks very nice from the article photographs.

Really like two door BMW coupes and the overall shape just looks to be the right build for the type of car it is and whilst I'm not
a huge fan of the BMW front/rear tail lights they look very good on this car.

If any future BMW cars are picked for racing games I hope this one gets added!

On the V12 issue, the N74 as used in the M760iL is having to take a hiatus soon owing to environmental testing targets. Apparently it will return, I'd imagine IF the 8 gets a V12 engine it won't be announced until the updated N74 is available. I'm hoping the 7, 8 and X7 will all have the V12 option... but so far it does sound like it might just be the 7-er. Since BMW are trying to rebrand their higher models with the 'classier' Bayerische Motoren Werke tag IMHO they need the V12 to create some separation. I take peoples comments about how it might affect the car, but at the end of the day, it's all about character, and some people might prefer the V12 bragging rights and not be that bothered if it's got an extra 80kg over the nose.

Also...

I mean, it is beautiful, but BMW has lost its taste. Every new car they release is just a slightly different version of the previous. How is this different and unique? I guess it's just a two-door 7-series? And I called it; a TT V8... No surprise. BMW has been putting that engine in every car they spit out lately. They should just call this the "X5-5-6-7-X6 Super-Touring Coupe M X-Drive."

Wouldn't be surprised if they released a 4-door version in the future, just to add more to the repetitive and confusing lineup.

It seems people really do just want their own Homer. But yeah... good call on the TTV8... no-one else saw that coming... though I'm surprised, with this incredible level of insight, that you didn't realise the 4 door version has already been shown as a concept car and was also mentioned on the first page of this thread over a year ago... it's all good though, because now we can get those AWESOME "herp just a 4 door version of a 2 door version of a 4 door version derp" comments again since any fool can see this actually a door 7 series.... By the way... "X5-5-6-7-X6 Super-Touring Coupe M X-Drive" is a great name... really.. t o p n o t c h.. great idea, really... g-reat, please do the world a favour and get a job in branding or marketing - perhaps if you manage to get a job at BMW you can get the board to understand that they need to start making cars to YOUR specific taste again.

And just so we're clear.. this is what you see...

upload_2018-6-16_13-15-57.png

when you look at this..?

upload_2018-6-16_13-19-30.png

Whatev's.

I'm probably one of the few who'd like to see an M860i with the V12 to run against the S65 and Continental W12. It probably won't happen but it's nice to think about.

Last edited:
On the V12 issue, the N74 as used in the M760iL is having to take a hiatus soon owing to environmental testing targets. Apparently it will return, I'd imagine IF the 8 gets a V12 engine it won't be announced until the updated N74 is available. I'm hoping the 7, 8 and X7 will all have the V12 option... but so far it does sound like it might just be the 7-er. Since BMW are trying to rebrand their higher models with the 'classier' Bayerische Motoren Werke tag IMHO they need the V12 to create some separation. I take peoples comments about how it might affect the car, but at the end of the day, it's all about character, and some people might prefer the V12 bragging rights and not be that bothered if it's got an extra 80kg over the nose.

Also...

It seems people really do just want their own Homer. But yeah... good call on the TTV8... no-one else saw that coming... though I'm surprised, with this incredible level of insight, that you didn't realise the 4 door version has already been shown as a concept car and was also mentioned on the first page of this thread over a year ago... it's all good though, because now we can get those AWESOME "herp just a 4 door version of a 2 door version of a 4 door version derp" comments again since any fool can see this actually a door 7 series.... By the way... "X5-5-6-7-X6 Super-Touring Coupe M X-Drive" is a great name... really.. t o p n o t c h.. great idea, really... g-reat, please do the world a favour and get a job in branding or marketing - perhaps if you manage to get a job at BMW you can get the board to understand that they need to start making cars to YOUR specific taste again.

And just so we're clear.. this is what you see...

View attachment 743938

when you look at this..?

View attachment 743939

Whatev's.

:lol:

The lower half of the back end is a little fussy, but overall, I think this is a stunning looking car. I'm glad they toned down the kidney grills (if you could call it "toned down") for production, makes the front end look much better. Frankly, I've never been too impressed with the original 8 Series design, but this one looks real nice.

In some of the pictures of the rear, I can't help but see a face ROFLing, with the tailliights as the eyes and the mouth being where the license plate indent is and the rear wheel vents as dimples.

As with many modern cars, the door-sills are just so high up and the windows tiny, looks almost reminiscent of armoured vehicles. The 8 gran coupe manages to look spot on though, hope the production model remains unchanged from the concept.

As with many modern cars, the door-sills are just so high up and the windows tiny, looks almost reminiscent of armoured vehicles. The 8 gran coupe manages to look spot on though, hope the production model remains unchanged from the concept.

My understanding is that this is done for side impact safety.

The BMW X5-5-6-7-X6 Super-Touring Coupe M X-Drive 8 Series Gran Coupe has been leaked via this patent image. Maintains the Coupe's sporty design below the waistline while adding some more cabin space and extra doors.
bmw-serie-8-br.jpg

The patent images also provide a glimpse of the Cabrio
bmw-serie-8-br.jpg

Source

I don’t think it does, the current 4 series isn’t much of a looker to me but this looks nicer. It’s more cab forward in look and the lines are a lot nicer than the bloaty looking 4 and stumpy looking 2.

No I'm not blind.

Maybe you misunderstood me. I'm not saying the new 8series looks exactly like other BMW models but it blends in more with the rest of the BMW lineup when compared to old E31 8series and BMW lineup of 1990's. Even when you look at the models (6series- F13 and E24) the new and old 8series replaced, the new 8 looks more of an evolution in design to the F13 6series and the old 8 looks like a new design to the E24 6series.

Maybe you misunderstood me. I'm not saying the new 8series looks exactly like other BMW models...

No, you were saying it...
looks like every other car in the BMW lineup
.. which it does not.

So, If I misunderstood you maybe it's because you skipped over saying what you meant in a concise fashion, and just went for broad and inaccurate generalisations.

it blends in more with the rest of the BMW lineup when compared to old E31 8series and BMW lineup of 1990's.

FWIW, I do understand what you're getting at, and in terms of the new 8, I do somewhat agree - In thinking about whether this car should truly have been pitched as an 8 series I've considered these points myself. For me personally, the i8 already mostly ticks the boxes of what an 8 series should be, and though I wouldn't say the new 8 looks either that similar, or that different to BMW's current core styling, I do think it doesn't (yet) have a true identity of its own ... and as it happens the i8 is a great example of how the new 8-er doesn't look like every other car in the BMW lineup.

Even when you look at the models (6series- F13 and E24) the new and old 8series replaced, the new 8 looks more of an evolution in design to the F13 6series and the old 8 looks like a new design to the E24 6series.

I would suggest though that the separation of the E31 and E24 was based in part on the fact that the 8-er was intended as a clear halo car for the range, where the E24 wasn't, and it's look was influenced by the established styling (low nose, slim horizontal grilles, moulded in kidneys and pop-up lights) of BMW's previous halo car, the M1 - and not as a development of the 5/7 series derived styling of the E24. These design traits were also echoed in the Z1, so not entirely unique to the 8-er in the range at the turn of the 90's either.

So what’s happening to the 6 series and the space that filled? I assume the new 8 is a lot more than the 6?

So what’s happening to the 6 series

maxresdefault.jpg

Personally I don't think they'll do anything else with the 6-er nameplate for now, though there are rumours about CSL Hommage inspired car. I'm sure they could shoe-horn something into the range but IMHO they can't afford to undermine the 8-er now with anything remotely comparable that is cheaper, for a number of reasons. No doubt the next 4 will be bigger and more GT like, so perhaps the gap won't be as big as it seems now.

Shame, I think the currentl 6 is really nice, I did look at used 640i’s but my wife wanted a four door. I looked the at the GC but they’re weren’t any affordable 640i GCs and I didn’t want a diesel nor could I afford the V8. That and the GC is mahussive.

I know know there’s going to be an 8 GC but just seemed to me like the 6 was fine as it was.

Shame, I think the currentl 6 is really nice, I did look at used 640i’s but my wife wanted a four door. I looked the at the GC but they’re weren’t any affordable 640i GCs and I didn’t want a diesel nor could I afford the V8. That and the GC is mahussive.

I know know there’s going to be an 8 GC but just seemed to me like the 6 was fine as it was.

BMW are trying to push their brand in the upper segments. The 6 was a desirable cheaper option for those not looking to spend 7 series and over kinda money... the 8 series being pitched as it is forces peoples hand. Having two large coupes in the range with very similar engine options would, IMHO, be a solid kick in the balls of the 8 series. The likes of the Mercedes S Class Coupe can trade on it's image, the 8 series can't do that yet, and neither could it trade on being unique in the range as something like an R8 could.

I saw an 840d coupe last weekend on the road and it's a lot more impressive in the metal than the pictures. Can't help but see Mustang in it, though.

I think this is the only car that looks better as a convertible. Even with the softop up it looks better than the coupe.

Good looking car as a convertible. Still waiting on the M model, though but I'm guessing the M850i GranCoupe is up next.

Some new information regarding the M. Car was sort of reviewed, I believe the article writer sat shotgun for a few laps with a ///M engineer. The performance specs are really something.
01541676582.jpg

620Hp, 0-60mph in 3.1 would be astonishingly fast if true.

Car is also quite a ways out from production, but spring 2019 is supposedly the reveal, guessing Geneva.
Just looked at production schedule, M8 CP & M8 CV starts July 2019 Production with 90 units with October Retail Dates.

M8 GC Nov 2019 Production at 75 units.

Nurb. lap time is a BMW record setter.
From Automobile Magazine:

"We’re told that already the M8’s Nürburgring lap time is beyond any other M product to date … including the M4 GTS, which managed a 7 minute, 28 second lap back in 2015."

Wow, that's lighter than I was expecting. I thought it would be at least 2 tonnes. Also 0-100 in just 3.1 seconds is seriously impressive.

Latest Posts

Back