BMW 8 Series Return

• Thread starter lxmmy
  • 239 comments
2020-bmw-m8-spy-shots--image-via-s-baldauf-sb-medien_100648597_h.jpg

2020-bmw-m8-spy-shots--image-via-s-baldauf-sb-medien_100648598_h.jpg

2020-bmw-m8-spy-shots--image-via-s-baldauf-sb-medien_100648600_h.jpg

BMW released a small teaser of the 8-Series this morning whilst sharing their GTE awaiting Le Mans. I brightened up the picture a bit; doesn't show any details, but gives an okay look at the overall design.
M8.jpg

I like that in silhouette it appears to be a proper DB9esq coupe rather than a booted 2-door saloon 'notchback' style coupe. 👍

I haven't really been following this...but is this a 7-series based S-Class Coupe/LC500 fighter?

It's 7 series based by way of sharing BMW's scalable Cluster Architecture that's used on everything from the 3 series up... beyond that they seem to be talking about it having a transaxle and the AWD system from the new M5 (i.e. not the xDrive system from the M760Li)... at least in context of the M8 anyway. Looks like they're taking the interior design in a different direction than the 7-er too.

As for whether it's targeted to go up against the S Coupe, it's kind of between that and the SL in my humble opinion, though inevitably they will be compared and cross-shopped anyway.

Does anyone else feel like big luxury coupes tend to appear towards the end of periods of peak excess? :lol: Between this and the abundance of hypercars, I'm prophesying economic doom soon.

Good thing they uncovered more of it. That profile camouflage pic, was making it look like a Monte Carlo.

It's cool they're taking it racing. Something new to see.

So the 6 series wasn't selling well so for the new model they just changed the name from 6 to 8. Would have been nice if they made the 6 into a sports car (like an AMG GT competitor) and kept the 8 as what the old 6 was, as a larger GT.

Apart from the vents in the rear bumper which look a bit too fussy I love it. I like the current 6 but this is even better.

Minus the rear vents at the rear, it's a very elegant looking thing, I like it, fair better looking then the majority if not all of the current BMW range so far.

In short, it's ugly.

Bulkiness on the hood and around the lower rear ruin what could have been a rather sleek design. It looks particularly horrendous how the lower edge of the windscreen doesn't line up with the side windows. I had hoped the not so promising looks of the M8 GTE were a result of bodywork regulations, but sadly it wasn't. Size-wise it's almost like a SUV that has been stripped down to the point where it could pass as a coupe.

I'm also a fan of how it looks, the M850i appears to be more aggressively styled than past M Performance models.

I mean, it is beautiful, but BMW has lost its taste. Every new car they release is just a slightly different version of the previous. How is this different and unique? I guess it's just a two-door 7-series? And I called it; a TT V8... No surprise. BMW has been putting that engine in every car they spit out lately. They should just call this the "X5-5-6-7-X6 Super-Touring Coupe M X-Drive."

Wouldn't be surprised if they released a 4-door version in the future, just to add more to the repetitive and confusing lineup.

I'd take the 90's 8-Series anytime. Even if its slower, and more basic.

... Oh man, I'm definitely old now...

I'm afraid to say this new 8 series is nothing in the looks department of the previous generation. Also no BMW V12 does not even make this qualify as a 8 series to me. To me the phrase" Old is best" comes to mind. The older model was quite innovative in its design & uniqueness. This one is pretty much a copy & paste of another model in the range with slightly different bodywork passed of as an 8 series.

I'm afraid to say this new 8 series is nothing in the looks department of the previous generation. Also no BMW V12 does not even make this qualify as a 8 series to me. To me the phrase" Old is best" comes to mind. The older model was quite innovative in its design & uniqueness. This one is pretty much a copy & paste of another model in the range with slightly different bodywork passed of as an 8 series.
Anyone expecting a V12 set themselves up for disappointment from the get-go; the only other BMW to get a V12 since the 8 Series has been the top of the line 7-Series & that's been shared with Rolls-Royce meaning it's likely built a specific way for those luxury cars. Adding a V12 would more than likely push this car out of its intended market & performance as well.

Not like the old 8 Series didn't offer a V8 as well to begin with....

Anyone expecting a V12 set themselves up for disappointment from the get-go; the only other BMW to get a V12 since the 8 Series has been the top of the line 7-Series & that's been shared with Rolls-Royce meaning it's likely built a specific way for those luxury cars. Adding a V12 would more than likely push this car out of its intended market & performance as well.

Not like the old 8 Series didn't offer a V8 as well to begin with....

Of course. Thing is for originalitys sake they still could have offered a BMW V12 for this car & not use a Rolls Royce V12 like in the 7 Series if it was offered.

Back