BMW Concept 4 is a Toothy Tease of Next Bavarian Coupe

Discussion in 'Auto News' started by GTPNewsWire, Sep 11, 2019.

1. GTPNewsWire

GTPNewsWire Contributing Writer

2. kikie

kikie Premium

[​IMG]

That front end looks so ridiculous. The grille reminds me of a snake-like alien creature with a round hole as a mouth with big teeth and seems to be put on the car very quickly. It doesn't fit.

Look at the intakes of the front bumper. Luckily this is only a concept.

bremics and PSN:And-War like this.
  3. Schmou

Schmou

The front looks like a facelifted Jaguar.

4. Castrol96

Castrol96

Kidneys are a little too big.

GTboyz and bremics like this.
  5. Danoff

Danoff Premium

[​IMG]

6. Dobermann92

Dobermann92

What an ugly front end.

hrusa2, mef and VXR like this.
  7. TeamCZRRacing

TeamCZRRacing

Is it just me, or do I see a hint of Alfa Romeo in there? Might just be the color throwing me off.

8. Gregfranklin

Gregfranklin

rear quarter is almost identical to an Infiniti Q60

9. TBR 427

TBR 427

Functionally, this is a result of their push to be more prominent in Asian nations (specifically, China and the Middle East).

The kind of design trends you'd typically see for Europe are drastically more understated and modest (those are the closest words I can think of) compared to these newer regions. There, the name of the game is to be as bold and impactful (again, best words I can think of) as possible, which to Westerners comes off as gross or ostentatious. But, it's done so that owners in (eg) China can show off their status symbol as much as possible. Big differences in how things like wealth and status (and vanity, lol) are treated between cultures.

The BIG TOOTH design, I think everyone saw coming a mile off, but the assumption was that it would be just replaced by what we'd say is more reserved, elegant bodywork for the Euro, US markets. A reasonable thing to expect; different bumper panels for different markets is already a thing, no big deal.

It's going to be interesting to see how Audi and Merc respond to this. Merc's always impressed me with the fact that it can be both bold and yet still very elegant, especially with the E-Class and the AMG cars. Audi's solution of making the big Audi Grill surround silver/chrome seems to be an OK fit, and they've certainly been more comfortable doing things like that since the original R8 release. But in the future, who knows?

10. ralph89

ralph89

11. Chikane

Chikane

That front end :sick::eek:

12. Dsavage27

Dsavage27

Absolutely ugly just like 90 percent of cars today

Kovu likes this.
  13. daan

daan Moderator

It is said that this is 85% representative of what the new 4 will look like. Guess what 15% I'd change?

GranTurNismo likes this.
  14. VXR

VXR

Great if they want to chase big sales in China, but this kind of design should be for that region only if that is their taste. Pulling their design in line with KIA is bad enough to pander to their tastes, but this is just grotesque by Western sensibilities.

15. SlipZtrEm

SlipZtrEm Administrator

Going by sheer real estate, I imagine you’d only be able to change about half that grille.

16. AudiMan2011

AudiMan2011 Contributing Writer

They could have made the concept simply look like a shrunken 8 Series but then they had to put that gopping kidney grille on it.

17. kikie

kikie Premium

If it is a functional grille, where do you put the license plate?

18. RichiPuppy

RichiPuppy

Is this the new Kia?

19. LivingWithGames

LivingWithGames

Good ****ing Lord, that grille is just hideous. That ruins a good chunk of the car to be fair. And knowing this is only a concept, there's still chance the finished car will be just as bad.

VXR and Kovu like this.
  20. FT-1

FT-1 Premium

Designer: How big do you want the grille?

BMW: Yes.

21. 05XR8

05XR8

:eek:Yooooo, didn't someone post a meme with the kidneys growing bigger, with each evolution?:lol:

Darla Starch likes this.
  22. Bloodytears

Bloodytears

So it wasn't a meme, but future plans. What a mess the bmw today, apart from so much of technical issues I hear from owners here.

ThePotatoKing and 05XR8 like this.
  23. diegorborges

diegorborges

It's disgusting. This hideous gigantic grill and the lack of the Hoffmeister kink on a closed roof BMW.

And how's BMW design after the last years? Just bring Mr. Chris Bangle back.

(see how his era cars aged well...)

24. 05XR8

05XR8

I reckon that concept looks just like the new RS7 liftback. With a little bit of Kia Stinger in the nose.

Well, anyway, still wish BMW kept the 3 as the M3(2-door). The 4 feels like it's lost its lineage from the original 3. Only M4 I like, is the M4 GT4. Guess there's no turning back.

25. Korza

Korza Premium

Its a somewhat unpopular opinion but I totally agree with this. The Bangle-era cars that were panned for being hideous when they were new have aged incredibly well. Especially the 6-series.

Except for the E9x 3-series.

26. pennanton

pennanton

BMW's design team since the 2010s mantra has just been: 'you see everything that made BMWs pretty in the past and built the brand? Yeah let's not do that'.

27. hardvibes

hardvibes

It's happening

[​IMG]

28. 05XR8

05XR8

This is the second BMW I noticed with the Jonah Hex front bumper
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Nooowww I see...
    [​IMG]

29. MatskiMonk

MatskiMonk Premium

And now we have gotten fully back to threads like this, where people are panning the cars as hideous... it's just like the Bangle days. You'd have thought people would have been more open minded, but it seems not.

30. Danoff

Danoff Premium

I still don't like the bangle butt.