BMW Concept 4 is a Toothy Tease of Next Bavarian Coupe

BMW-Concept-4-08.jpg

That front end looks so ridiculous. The grille reminds me of a snake-like alien creature with a round hole as a mouth with big teeth and seems to be put on the car very quickly. It doesn't fit.

Look at the intakes of the front bumper. Luckily this is only a concept.

Is it just me, or do I see a hint of Alfa Romeo in there? Might just be the color throwing me off.

The front looks like a facelifted Jaguar.
Functionally, this is a result of their push to be more prominent in Asian nations (specifically, China and the Middle East).

The kind of design trends you'd typically see for Europe are drastically more understated and modest (those are the closest words I can think of) compared to these newer regions. There, the name of the game is to be as bold and impactful (again, best words I can think of) as possible, which to Westerners comes off as gross or ostentatious. But, it's done so that owners in (eg) China can show off their status symbol as much as possible. Big differences in how things like wealth and status (and vanity, lol) are treated between cultures.

The BIG TOOTH design, I think everyone saw coming a mile off, but the assumption was that it would be just replaced by what we'd say is more reserved, elegant bodywork for the Euro, US markets. A reasonable thing to expect; different bumper panels for different markets is already a thing, no big deal.

It's going to be interesting to see how Audi and Merc respond to this. Merc's always impressed me with the fact that it can be both bold and yet still very elegant, especially with the E-Class and the AMG cars. Audi's solution of making the big Audi Grill surround silver/chrome seems to be an OK fit, and they've certainly been more comfortable doing things like that since the original R8 release. But in the future, who knows?

Great if they want to chase big sales in China, but this kind of design should be for that region only if that is their taste. Pulling their design in line with KIA is bad enough to pander to their tastes, but this is just grotesque by Western sensibilities.

They could have made the concept simply look like a shrunken 8 Series but then they had to put that gopping kidney grille on it.

I reckon that concept looks just like the new RS7 liftback. With a little bit of Kia Stinger in the nose.

Well, anyway, still wish BMW kept the 3 as the M3(2-door). The 4 feels like it's lost its lineage from the original 3. Only M4 I like, is the M4 GT4. Guess there's no turning back.

And how's BMW design after the last years? Just bring Mr. Chris Bangle back.

(see how his era cars aged well...)

Its a somewhat unpopular opinion but I totally agree with this. The Bangle-era cars that were panned for being hideous when they were new have aged incredibly well. Especially the 6-series.

Except for the E9x 3-series.

BMW's design team since the 2010s mantra has just been: 'you see everything that made BMWs pretty in the past and built the brand? Yeah let's not do that'.

Its a somewhat unpopular opinion but I totally agree with this. The Bangle-era cars that were panned for being hideous when they were new have aged incredibly well. Especially the 6-series.

And now we have gotten fully back to threads like this, where people are panning the cars as hideous... it's just like the Bangle days. You'd have thought people would have been more open minded, but it seems not.

Except for the E9x 3-series.

And now we have gotten fully back to threads like this, where people are panning the cars as hideous... it's just like the Bangle days. You'd have thought people would have been more open minded, but it seems not.

I still don't like the bangle butt.

Back