BMW Returns to Endurance Racing in 2018 With New M8 GTE

I think why this idea is so popular among enthusiast is because it's more equivalent to automotive fanfiction than anything actualy based in reality. Also a lot of these track day specials are spiritual or actual successors to previous GT1 era machines, so that may play into it too.

Only one really is the Project One and P1 GTR

I thought the Project One was supposed to be based closely on the team's F1 program? Although, I thought I heard presenter mention the CLK GTR, but that may be in reference to company and AMG's past.

The XX Programme started way after the either of those cars that were built with specific series in mind. The XX Programme is just a test bed you can buy your way into.

Many people say the FXX program started with the F40 LM and F50 GT, the Vulcan reminds me quite a lot of a futuristic Panoz too.

I've never seen that before in regards to the Ferrari, and even so that isn't the same as being a spiritual or true successor of a GT1 like the Project One is. That's the point, further more, if they were that doesn't change what me and @McLaren said prior.

Modern GT1 could still exist if all the modern track day specials we keep seeing came together and formed a new racing series.

Ferrari with the FXXK, McLaren with the P1 GTR, Aston Martin with the Vulcan, Mercedes with the Project One, Porsche with the 918 RSR, Pagani with a potential Huayra R. It would be a good replacement for LMP1. In a perfect world...
#BringGT1Back

I love it.

2018-bmw-m8-gte-race-car_100636412_h.jpg

2018-bmw-m8-gte-race-car_100636411_h.jpg

2018-bmw-m8-gte-race-car_100636407_h.jpg

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1112430_bmw-m8-gte-seen-testing-at-daytona

Power in both the M8 GTLM and M8 GTE race cars comes from a new 4.0-liter twin-turbocharged V-8. BMW says the engine has been derived from the 4.4-liter mill found in road cars like the latest M5. It develops a nominal base output of more than 500 horsepower, depending on the classification, and drive is to the rear wheels via 6-speed sequential transmission.

The weight of the cars, meanwhile, is down to just 2,690 pounds thanks to the extensive use of carbon fiber in the construction.

Back