Bored of GT5? I got the solution..

  • Thread starter Thread starter GTOne2Three
  • 78 comments
  • 6,826 views
Bored of GT5? I got the solution..
I'm surprised anyone can be bored with GT5, save for a slow internet connection or no internet at all.

Anyone expecting an engrossing, lifelike racing experience against real-life crappy computer AI in a racing game, without obvious rubber-banding, and ignoring the amazing online racing community GT5 is developing...well, I really feel sad for them.

I think if you're the type of console racer who values competition and has the connection speed, you've already moved on to organized online racing with GT5. If not, you should check it out, or if you are unwilling to, then you're just depriving yourself of anything resembling fun.

GT5 is the console simracing fan's closest answer to Papyrus' GPL or NASCAR 2003's online lobby. The level of online competition in GT5 is finally at a PC level, if you're willing to get outside of your comfort zone and find a good racing series.
 
I'm surprised anyone can be bored with GT5, save for a slow internet connection or no internet at all.

Anyone expecting an engrossing, lifelike racing experience against real-life crappy computer AI in a racing game, without obvious rubber-banding, and ignoring the amazing online racing community GT5 is developing...well, I really feel sad for them.

I think if you're the type of console racer who values competition and has the connection speed, you've already moved on to organized online racing with GT5. If not, you should check it out, or if you are unwilling to, then you're just depriving yourself of anything resembling fun.
Yeah I agree, thats where its at for sure...
 
HTML:
I'm surprised anyone can be bored with GT5, save for a slow internet connection or no internet at all.

Anyone expecting an engrossing, lifelike racing experience against real-life crappy computer AI in a racing game, without obvious rubber-banding, and ignoring the amazing online racing community GT5 is developing...well, I really feel sad for them.

I think if you're the type of console racer who values competition and has the connection speed, you've already moved on to organized online racing with GT5. If not, you should check it out, or if you are unwilling to, then you're just depriving yourself of anything resembling fun.

GT5 is the console simracing fan's closest answer to Papyrus' GPL or NASCAR 2003's online lobby. The level of online competition in GT5 is finally at a PC level, if you're willing to get outside of your comfort zone and find a good racing series.

It's good to hear you enjoy GT5's online.

I want to enjoy it too, but they have to improve online a lot for me to play it on a regular basis. Still no matchmaking to be found. If we had matchmaking at the very least, I would be playing GT5 almost everyday. Online for me is a big put off because it's a nuisance to have to search for a room, especially since a lot of people are doing the SSR7 glitch. And I'm sure racing leagues are fun, but I don't want to organize a match in advance everytime I want to race.

Or...Go play another game and then just come back later, Do it all the time.

👍
 
HTML:

It's good to hear you enjoy GT5's online.

I want to enjoy it too, but they have to improve online a lot for me to play it on a regular basis. Still no matchmaking to be found. If we had matchmaking at the very least, I would be playing GT5 almost everyday. Online for me is a big put off because it's a nuisance to have to search for a room, especially since a lot of people are doing the SSR7 glitch. And I'm sure racing leagues are fun, but I don't want to organize a match in advance everytime I want to race.
I agree with you here, and I think the lack of a matchmaking system is definitely a symptom of GT5 being the first in the series (besides Prologue) to be truly capable of supporting online racing.

I would probably say there are 3 levels of GT5 online racing out there:
  • Racers who enjoy races organized separate from GT5 (like on GTPlanet)
  • Racers who can take enough time to find a lobby that they want to race in
  • Racers who (understandably) do not have a block of two or three hours once or twice a week they want to dedicate to a race series. They want to jump onto GT5, hop in a car, and be matched up online against pretty equal opponents as far as car specs
For the last of those bullet points, GT5 has nothing for you and that is indeed irritating.
 
Last edited:
Another non-related GT5 thread. Awesome.
 
So you inspire us by posting a video of a car (company) that we can never have? I sure don't feel inspired, it just reiterates the problems with GT5.
 
So you inspire us by posting a video of a car (company) that we can never have? I sure don't feel inspired, it just reiterates the problems with GT5.

The driving, the racing, going fast and maneuvering. Damn, so many pessimists. Just trying to get a good discussion going about how you can use real racing vids to make you think "damn, that makes me wanna get on Lemans and either beat my time, or go online and have a serious race like the video!"

Kindof recreate what you saw. Epic passes, close finishes, crazy battles, you see those on vids and remember how exciting racing is, and you just wanna go back and do the same online or off.

THis has nothing to do with the car in the vid.
 
To the specific point of the OP; I'm a racing junkie and I watch almost any form of racing or racing/driving related program I can find (as long as it doesn't go in circles or short, straight lines). When I watch an FIA Touring Car race from Monza or a Grand Am race from Laguna Seca I think to myself "Man, I WISH I could have the chance to do that!". Well, I don't live very close to either of those places and can't afford a race car.

The difference between people like me and the people who complain is that we get just as much fun from driving/racing in GT5 whether we get credits/xp or not.

I feel the same every **** time i watch some races in tv.
I would love to be able to drive fast all day long and on top of it you would even earn your money this way... :D

To OP.. i know that very well.. you see some great racing vid and then i just have to start up my ps3 and play gt5 :D
I feel the same when watching wrc. Then i just hope Dirt3 will be a AWESOME rally game... :dopey:
 
it is related

To what? What nice sounds racing cars have in real life or how many different race cars and tracks are not in GT5?

Use the search-function. There are minimum 2 other threads complaining about the same problem.
 
I don't really understand why everybody feels matchmaking is needed. The real issue I see is that people are looking in the public rooms to find "good racing". Well, that's just not likely to happen, with or without matchmaking or any other system. Just like in real life, there are too many immature and juvenile people out there, and if you're going to wade into a public pool you should be prepared to encounter warm yellow spots.

You guys are obviously on GTPlanet so you're half way to finding good racers. You don't necessarily have to join an organized league, there are things on this site called "social groups" where like-minded people can congregate and organize good races. It doesn't have to be anything fancy or involved. I belong to a few social groups on here and each one has a "free run" thread where people will post when they're going to be online for some racing, get 5 or 6 people together and you have yourselves some great online racing! You all can discuss ahead of time what cars/tracks you want to race, so there's your "matchmaking".

I realize this method requires a small bit of effort on the users part and for a lot of people that's too much to ask. It has to be handed to them. This board is full of great drivers that want to do racing that isn't all X2010's or glitching, so anybody that says online racing sucks just isn't looking in the right places. It's like saying "Man, I'm on this message board with 10's of thousands of great GT5 players but I won't race with them." Huh? Then why are you on this message board??

My main theory is that the majority of the people who don't enjoy the game are playing with a controller and not a wheel. If I didn't have my G27 I would only enjoy this game about 20% as much as I do and would have gotten bored with it a while ago. But then, if I didn't have some sort of wheel I doubt I would have bought a racing game in the first place. :)
 
I don't really understand why everybody feels matchmaking is needed.

It's mentioned as a feature on the packaging of the game that I bought, so it's needed for me to feel that I've received the product that I paid for. Isn't that enough?
 
To what? What nice sounds racing cars have in real life or how many different race cars and tracks are not in GT5?

Use the search-function. There are minimum 2 other threads complaining about the same problem.

Did you even READ the OP?

He poses the question of what you do to inspire yourself to play GT5 if you get bored. He watches race videos. I watch Top Gear. Others visit GTPlanet.

Yes, this is related to GT5...
 
cool vids.

when i get bored or something pi$$es me off about the game, i take out a stock 427 cobra on sport hards for a rip on Nurburgring at dawn. Brings a smile to my face.

👍 That's exactly what i do too. It's so fun that ill be laughing hard the whole lap! 8D

Btw i suggest you to try Eifel (Kart) 103A also. That's a fantastic track to fool around with Cobra. ;)
 
The difference between people like me and the people who complain is that we get just as much fun from driving/racing in GT5 whether we get credits/xp or not. For us it's not about getting paid or moving up to the next experience level, it's about sitting down behind our wheels and forgetting that we're sitting in our living rooms, it's about driving the cars and learning the tracks. And as far as I'm concerned it will take me YEARS before I feel like I've experienced everything this game has to offer. Throw in online play with GTP members or leagues and the Course Maker, well I've played GT5 every day since release except for 3 and I feel like I'm just scratching the surface.

GT5 can be as incredible or as lame as you allow it to be. It's about you, not the game. 👍
Most definitely. I don't have a chance to get bored with GT5, even though I've raced the snot out of it. I have too many things to do with my skimpy spare time like composing music, writing, or just getting out of the house once in a while. And for all those constantly moaning "This or that game is so much better blah blah blah..." I find it amusing that if this is true, why are you hanging around here moping, instead of playing those other games? ;)

Going with the food analogy, it's like if you got tired of Olive Gardens and went there all the time to bellyache to everyone about how Red Lobster is so much better and healthier. :D
 
Well that was years ago and I still love pizza. Eventually (and fortunately for my digestive system) the pizza ran out, we just had a lot of it at the time, plus leftovers. lol

Yes, I've taken breaks here and there from GT5 to play all the new games with my friends. I do come back to it every now and then, usually to play some online or splitscreen with my brother.

Other games grab my attention and I will say that GT5 isn't the game I'm most devoted to. I'm rather casual on it. It's gonna need something new if it wants to become a game for people to play until GT6. DLC, some updates, any of that sort of thing. I think a lot of people have burned themselves out on the game. If you play it 24/7 you'll undoubtedly run out of new things to do in short order.

Absolutely. I've become a bit bored of it now. I haven't played the last couple of seasonal events (apart from the F1 one) because they are too easy. I still play split screen when my friends come round, but even that is becomming a bit frustrating because I have 600 cars and can only use my favourite 100. Going back into GT Life to change my favourites is too much hassle. I'll probably stop playing split screen until they fix that. Personally, the main other thing that needs to be added, is a PP based reward system. So if you pick a car that is evenly matched to your opponents then you win loads of XP and credits. If you pick a really fast car so its not an even race, then you win hardly anything. This method could also be used to create some kind of gamer rating which gives you a skill level that can go up and down. This would give winning the races some meaning.
 
Post vids of real races to get inspired and make you wanna play again.

Screw duping, screw XP grinding. Just remember how much fun the racing, or simply the driving is. Weather you prefer online or off.

I use to do that!!!!👍

edit: not post but download, ex. i have all entire races of f1 '89 season
 
I play some other game, like Killzone 3 to get my fps fix for a little bit, then I jump right back into GT5 now that it feels fresh again.
 
So how are videos of real world racing, something GT5 doesn't replicate well at all, supposed to inspire me to play GT5?

"Wow those races were awesome, I'm totally pumped to do that in GT5. Some close fought, real racing that looks and sounds great."

*puts on GT5*.

Awwww.
 
LazyYouth
Don't blame the game, blame the player. 👍 It's like throwing off Space Invaders just because its graphics are just a bunch of pixels :dunce:

Brilliant analogy!

You get out what you put in. Some are doomed to complain. GT5 provides some of the best experiences ever in a game. Too many on these boards like to see a glass half empty.
For me: I read car magazines and try to create a similar vehicle to what I read, musclecar, import or whatever and lap grand valley a lot of times with it using interior view and my DFGT for immersion. If I crash I restart the game! Keeps me on my toes!
Works for me.
The Ken Block drifting video is pretty cool inspiration. Top Gear season 13 had him featured by the way. Cool episode.
 
cool vids.

when i get bored or something pi$$es me off about the game, i take out a stock 427 cobra on sport hards for a rip on Nurburgring at dawn. Brings a smile to my face.

Yep, I really enjoyed the first time I went out for a few laps at Dawn on the 'ring until the sun was high in the sky.

For those first 8 minutes with the sun slowly brightening up the track, All the shortcoming of the game were forgiven.

Really made me feel like booking a ferry and driving over there myself there and then :D
 
good battle but absolutely appalling behaviour at the chequered flag

 
In all honesty, I don't find GT5 boring.

There's always something new to do.
 
Another thing. Real seasons of racing are very long and the highlights are cool. Every single moment isn't knuckle biting awesome. If you race long and hard enough in GT with a fair, competitive car you will earn your own cool moments.

You complainers never had a *wow* moment in GT? I can't believe it.
And since I'm sure you did, did you have enough to make the $60 money well spent?
I've gotten hundreds of hours of awesome gameplay for my cash and I refuse to dwell on a few issues which are constantly being patched up anyway. My 2c.

Sorry for the rant I'm new here and I really don't get the negativity. This is a GT forum! I came because I love this series for many years and there are so many ways to enjoy it. Ultimately I will create my gtp name and see some of you online!
Look out!
 
Absolutely. I've become a bit bored of it now. I haven't played the last couple of seasonal events (apart from the F1 one) because they are too easy. I still play split screen when my friends come round, but even that is becomming a bit frustrating because I have 600 cars and can only use my favourite 100. Going back into GT Life to change my favourites is too much hassle. I'll probably stop playing split screen until they fix that. Personally, the main other thing that needs to be added, is a PP based reward system. So if you pick a car that is evenly matched to your opponents then you win loads of XP and credits. If you pick a really fast car so its not an even race, then you win hardly anything. This method could also be used to create some kind of gamer rating which gives you a skill level that can go up and down. This would give winning the races some meaning.

and surely it would just be a simple divider and multiplier, for instance for the sake of round numbers the defualt XP for a race is 10000 and if P1 has a car with 400PP and P2 has a car with 600PP.

If P1 wins then he as 1.5x less PP so recieves 1.5x more XP - 10000x1.5 = 15000

If P2 wins then he has 1.5x more PP so rcieves 1.5x less XP - 10000÷1.5 = 6667 (rounded to the nearest whole number)
 
I think his main point was trying to give people a different perspective of the game. It seems like a lot of peoples complaints about the game is that there aren't enough "forced" events like A-Spec races. I played GT4 over about a 3 year span, probably only 4-5 months combined of that were doing A-Spec events or manufacturer races or license tests. The rest of the time was spent driving and racing! I didn't buy GT5 because I hoped there would be lots of events that would pay me XP and Credits. I bought GT5 with the hopes that it would allow me to have a very realistic driving experience right in my living room. And it does that incredibly well!

To the specific point of the OP; I'm a racing junkie and I watch almost any form of racing or racing/driving related program I can find (as long as it doesn't go in circles or short, straight lines). When I watch an FIA Touring Car race from Monza or a Grand Am race from Laguna Seca I think to myself "Man, I WISH I could have the chance to do that!". Well, I don't live very close to either of those places and can't afford a race car, but I can get a fairly similar experience by hoping on GT5 and hooking up my G27!

The difference between people like me and the people who complain is that we get just as much fun from driving/racing in GT5 whether we get credits/xp or not. For us it's not about getting paid or moving up to the next experience level, it's about sitting down behind our wheels and forgetting that we're sitting in our living rooms, it's about driving the cars and learning the tracks. And as far as I'm concerned it will take me YEARS before I feel like I've experienced everything this game has to offer. Throw in online play with GTP members or leagues and the Course Maker, well I've played GT5 every day since release except for 3 and I feel like I'm just scratching the surface.

GT5 can be as incredible or as lame as you allow it to be. It's about you, not the game.

👍
I'm surprised anyone can be bored with GT5, save for a slow internet connection or no internet at all.

Anyone expecting an engrossing, lifelike racing experience against real-life crappy computer AI in a racing game, without obvious rubber-banding, and ignoring the amazing online racing community GT5 is developing...well, I really feel sad for them.

I think if you're the type of console racer who values competition and has the connection speed, you've already moved on to organized online racing with GT5. If not, you should check it out, or if you are unwilling to, then you're just depriving yourself of anything resembling fun.

GT5 is the console simracing fan's closest answer to Papyrus' GPL or NASCAR 2003's online lobby. The level of online competition in GT5 is finally at a PC level, if you're willing to get outside of your comfort zone and find a good racing series.
That resumes all. 👍 👍

A sim player rarely would become bored with GT5. So much different players posting in GTP.
 
To what? What nice sounds racing cars have in real life or how many different race cars and tracks are not in GT5?

Use the search-function. There are minimum 2 other threads complaining about the same problem.

The driving, the racing, going fast and maneuvering. Damn, so many pessimists. Just trying to get a good discussion going about how you can use real racing vids to make you think "damn, that makes me wanna get on Lemans and either beat my time, or go online and have a serious race like the video!"

Kindof recreate what you saw. Epic passes, close finishes, crazy battles, you see those on vids and remember how exciting racing is, and you just wanna go back and do the same online or off.

THis has nothing to do with the car in the vid.
 
Back