• Thread starter rronak95
  • 193 comments

Fan Boycott

• Yes

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • No

Votes: 247 87.0%

• Total voters
I seem to remember that extensive engine damage would cause coughing and sputtering. Could be wrong though

I don't remember ever seeing that happen. Who knows. What I do know is the damage in GT6 was PS1 quality at best. It was a joke.
I've definitely experienced massive power loss and gear issues after a big enough shunt in online racing, steering/suspension damage to the extent it was a real fight to get back to the pits to repair it. Obviously no loss of wheels or anything but I thought it was pretty awesome how GT6 did damage like that, if they improve on that for GTS I'm keen to see what it holds.

Yeah, you're going to have to post some videos because from what I remember It was mediocre at best. I don't remember cars crabbing or veering, missing gears nor any brake fade.

I don't remember ever seeing that happen. Who knows. What I do know is the damage in GT6 was PS1 quality at best. It was a joke.

There was no missing gears or brake fade. But if damaged, cars would crab or veer. Heavy damage made it very difficult to get back to pits. Heavy engine damage limited the top speed of the cars along with slower acceleration. Damage to the wheels/suspension made the car difficult to drive and also made tire wear more severe. There was never terminal damage.

This was no damage in single player career. You had the option of damage either light or heavy (or none) in multiplayer and arcade races.

Light was less severe damage, and took harder bangs to actually damage the car. The damage also disappeared after approx 10 seconds. Heavy damage didn't take much to have it affect the driving and you could only pit to repair the damage.

In single player career, as long as there is a restart race option, there is no consequence to having damage. In a game with damage, if you crash the car, hit reset, doesn't matter, it just cost you 5 minutes of your time. Until there is proper consequences of damage, either monetary, no restarts etc, then I think having damage in career mode matters little.

Im boycotting GTs just so the OP feels less of a tit

and since theres already a big crowd here ,im asking YOU to donate money so you can send us to Japan and protest outside the PD studio`s

In single player career, as long as there is a restart race option, there is no consequence to having damage. In a game with damage, if you crash the car, hit reset, doesn't matter, it just cost you 5 minutes of your time. Until there is proper consequences of damage, either monetary, no restarts etc, then I think having damage in career mode matters little.

Costing 5 minutes of your time is fine too. Time is not infinite for most of us. If you've only got an hour to play, it can be the difference between finishing 10 races and finishing 3.

But the most important aspect of damage is that a bunch of unrealistic tactics like wall-riding and the classic Gran Turismo divebomb pass aren't actually viable techniques. That's a pretty big thing in a game that purports to be realistic. That it provides appropriate penalties when a player makes an error is a bonus.

Costing 5 minutes of your time is fine too. Time is not infinite for most of us. If you've only got an hour to play, it can be the difference between finishing 10 races and finishing 3.

But the most important aspect of damage is that a bunch of unrealistic tactics like wall-riding and the classic Gran Turismo divebomb pass aren't actually viable techniques. That's a pretty big thing in a game that purports to be realistic. That it provides appropriate penalties when a player makes an error is a bonus.

Sure if you only have an hour to play. But eventually, you will beat those 10 races, whether it takes an hour or 3. Ultimately, with or without damage, you will beat the AI, win the career mode. More skilled drivers will do it faster than lesser skilled drivers. Having damage in the game would just make the gap between the time completed greater, but the result would be the same.

If you then have options to turn damage on or off. Then the drivers that want to dive bomb will turn the damage off. The drivers that want damage on are most likely better drivers and welcome the challenge. But those same drivers aren't likely to dive bomb the AI anyway and treat the AI with the respect damage on or off.

With GT Sport single player having a Racing Etiquette mode, I would say that will more likely have more of a influence on driver behavior than damage. Damage just means reset, try again. Teaching someone on track respect, racing etiquette, may better communicate how and when to leave space, racing with other cars etc, is much more welcoming than an easily reset damage model.

Sure if you only have an hour to play. But eventually, you will beat those 10 races, whether it takes an hour or 3. Ultimately, with or without damage, you will beat the AI, win the career mode. More skilled drivers will do it faster than lesser skilled drivers. Having damage in the game would just make the gap between the time completed greater, but the result would be the same.

If you then have options to turn damage on or off. Then the drivers that want to dive bomb will turn the damage off. The drivers that want damage on are most likely better drivers and welcome the challenge. But those same drivers aren't likely to dive bomb the AI anyway and treat the AI with the respect damage on or off.

And how does making damage have a monetary aspect change that? Money is just time in another form, you had to spend time to get that money. If damage costs money, then that's just deferring the time penalty until you next needed that money and you have to grind for cash. If the damage costs so little money that it never impacts your purchases, then that's basically like no penalty at all.

With GT Sport single player having a Racing Etiquette mode, I would say that will more likely have more of a influence on driver behavior than damage. Damage just means reset, try again. Teaching someone on track respect, racing etiquette, may better communicate how and when to leave space, racing with other cars etc, is much more welcoming than an easily reset damage model.

Why do things like track respect and racing etiquette exist?

There are certain aspects that are part of the rules, but the way real racers drive is far more involved than that. Why is it that those particular behaviours are considered optimal?

Would be cool if GT would have a workshop aside from a carwash. Damage your car and it will show visual damage aside from the mechanical it has until you take it there and have it fixed with credits.

Yeah, you're going to have to post some videos because from what I remember It was mediocre at best. I don't remember cars crabbing or veering, missing gears nor any brake fade.
GT5 definitely has damage that has the car veering. Prevents gear selection as well. Takes a pretty bit hit to do that though and none of it is visual. No brake fade though and not in GT-mode either.

Quoting just in case someone entered the thread genuinely interested.

Just now that things were getting easier with GT, with new infos released week by week and videos discussed in depth you can't ask fans to go back as things once were in mid 2015's with overall bitterness and salty comments everywhere.

Would be cool if GT would have a workshop aside from a carwash. Damage your car and it will show visual damage aside from the mechanical it has until you take it there and have it fixed with credits.

Looks like they had something like that in mind for GT6, because on one of the pre-release pictures showcasing the GT Auto workshop there was a car with visual damage to the bodywork. It never made it to the final game though, and now any visual damage is reset when you leave the track.

Looks like they had something like that in mind for GT6, because on one of the pre-release pictures showcasing the GT Auto workshop there was a car with visual damage to the bodywork. It never made it to the final game though, and now any visual damage is reset when you leave the track.
Yeah shame. Something like that could have been the next step for GT5 already, improving and expanding on the car collecting theme that was in 4.

I've driven top speed head on into walls to test the damage in GT6 and I can honestly say I think people are remembering the damage a little different to how I remember it. I have never seen gearbox issues in a GT game, I've never seen suspension damage that bad the car displayed erratic behaviour, or crabbed. I literally tried to see if you could terminally damage the cars online, with heavy damage on, by repeatedly ramming walls as fast as I could. All that happened was the engine would end up with the power of a Vespa, I'd have my steering wheel at an angle to go straight, and tyre wear was accelerated.

Also this:

Is the typical Gran Turismo defense. "well good drivers don't crash anyway so you don't need damage", "It's not about crashing it's about racing", etc. Stop trying to excuse the weak damage system GT had by claiming it's not necessary to have damage. Fact of the matter is every sim with a good damage model is in a different league to GT because of it. End of story.

Here is a Viper crab walking after damage to the rear left suspension in GT6. Notice the toe-in of the right left wheel and how the wheel wobbles. On a DS3 it's fairly easy to control, although it dramatically reduces your speed, since the car tends to veer heavily from side to side when you increase speed. With a wheel you get a lot of vibration and shaking, and it gets worse the faster you go.

Back