Brilliant Racing Videos

Can't see this posted previously (apologies if I have missed it) but, even if you have seen it before, I think it is worth another listen...

...I think there are a lot of fantastic cars in the GT3 class, but this is definitely one of my favourites.

HD footage with no commentary of the 1997 San Remo Rally. Every single car in there is just.... hnnng. :drool:

How enjoyable to watch old style WRC.
I counted five WRC title holders in that 1997 field. In some rounds, it would have measured six with the late Richard Burns included in non-tarmac events as well as participating in the Asia-Pacific championship.

I also have to mention how enjoyable the audio was without the obtrusive anti-lag & electronic gear cuts so predominant of modern Rally audio.
More for the trained ear was the difference in exhaust notes, to the point where you could identify the brand of car just by sound alone.

HD footage with no commentary of the 1997 San Remo Rally. Every single car in there is just.... hnnng. :drool:

Not to say that I don't enjoy it now (and nostalgia is potentially influencing my opinion), but this was the golden age of WRC for me.

Fantastic video (one of many from that channel).

Just a 600cc bike.

And if doing it in a time trial is boring, how about hitting 200mph in an actual race?

Last edited:
Just a 600cc bike.

And if doing it in a time trial is boring, how about hitting 200mph in an actual race?

I suppose the benefit in the Bruce Anstey video as opposed to the Cameron Donald 600 video, is with others to race alongside, you can kind of trick yourself that you're not totally insane cause others are doing it too.

The guys that race in the Isle of Man TT and the Irish Road Racing Series, have my total admiration as the bravest men in all of motorsport.

Regarding the San Remo 1997 great video, I'll say this: being an old man I still regard the eighties as the absolute peak of Rallying. And I don't even mean the Group B era, epic as it was in its own right. I mean the latest years of the Group 4, 2WD cars (except the first Audi quattro, still a Group 4 but already 4WD). It was an amazing era to be a rally fan and I was lucky enough to watch them all being raced to their limit.

So, without further ado, I ask you all to watch this other San Remo video. This time 1981. Vid quality is sketchy but remember ... this was filmed by a rally fan from 42 years ago ...

Couple of things worthy of notice ...

it's only when you reach the 7th car that you get a repeat, it's the 2nd Fiat 131 Abarth, driven by the late great Attilio Bettega
(that's 1980's diversity for you, lol)

The Merc!

The Detomaso!!!!

Last edited:

POV of a very slippery Spa.

It's incredible how with just a mini GoPro camera one can have more breathtaking footage than an entire television broadcast. Found myself holding my breath for the most part.

POV of a very slippery Spa.

It's incredible how with just a mini GoPro camera one can have more breathtaking footage than an entire television broadcast. Found myself holding my breath for the most part.

The power of an uncluttered screen.

The power of an uncluttered screen.
That too.

However, I have just discovered what has drawn me into watching the whole of it in the first place: horizon lock. The camera seems to be locked into the horizon, which makes it really smooth and pleasing to watch.

Not only one is not distracted by all the shaking (making all the action very clear), but also it helps with the perception of the movement of the car.

Really cool stuff and it makes all the difference (to me anyway).

That too.

However, I have just discovered what has drawn me into watching the whole of it in the first place: horizon lock. The camera seems to be locked into the horizon, which makes it really smooth and pleasing to watch.

Not only one is not distracted by all the shaking (making all the action very clear), but also it helps with the perception of the movement of the car.

Really cool stuff and it makes all the difference (to me anyway).
This makes all the difference.

IRL, our eyeballs adjust our vision just like a steadycam.

They can't help when it's someone else's head.

More greatness from Robbert Alblas You Tube, this time a Porsche 962 at Spa. Highlight video here...

...and the full race onboard if you have 45 minutes to spare!

Back