Britain - The Official Thread

• Thread starter Ross
  • 12,479 comments

How will you vote in the 2019 UK General Election?

• The Brexit Party

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Change UK/The Independent Group

• Conservative Party

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Green Party

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Labour Party

Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Liberal Democrats

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • Other (Wales/Scotland/Northern Ireland)

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Other Independents

• Other Parties

• Spoiled Ballot

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Will Not/Cannot Vote

Votes: 11 27.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I reckon after a 12-pack of Tennent's on a bus to London with no onboard toilet, anything is possible...
I understand why a potential protester would want to aim high.

However, if he's intercepted en route this could go horribly wrong...

Last edited:
In a vote of confidence for our governments plans for Christmas restrictions, Rishi's announced furlough's being extended to April..,

Unless we run out of vaccines next week I can't see how the lockdown would go on long enough to still need to furlough till then.

In grim non-covid news, Greater Manchester Police is being put into special measures after the Constabulary Inspectorate found that in one year 88,000 crimes went unreported or otherwise uninvestigated; that's around 230 a day. One in four violent crimes were not looked into.

It's a resource issue as well as a competence issue. The second largest police force in England has not had a good time. The Chief Constable was already suspiciously off work due to "illness".

Does anyone else think that the government are caught between a rock and a hard place for the Christmas period? Keep things in place and say people can't mix, then the reaction will be they are bing harsh and don't understand people need to see loved ones. Do what they have done and people say it going to risk a further lockdown and big rise in cases.

Does anyone else think that the government are caught between a rock and a hard place for the Christmas period? Keep things in place and say people can't mix, then the reaction will be they are bing harsh and don't understand people need to see loved ones. Do what they have done and people say it going to risk a further lockdown and big rise in cases.
They built both the rock and the hard place.

Kier Starmer wastes no time in earning even more of my disdain with his reponse to seeing what he called for, just a few short days ago, actually happen:

Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer said "millions of families will be heartbroken by having Christmas plans ripped up".

This week he called for the government to "review" and "toughen up" the planned relaxation of Covid restrictions over Christmas.

"Today's announcement will only lead to confusion when people need certainty," he said.

:banghead:

"Argument’s an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says."

Anyway, in context, I agree with his comments about Boris's attitude.

The context to "Merry Little Xmas" was at about the same time as, or a response to, Kier demanding more restrictions. The context now is as noted in my post.

Honestly, I'd love to see a strong opposition. I had hopes when Kier was elected Labour leader that we'd see something rather more analytical, but he very quickly succumbed to the comfort of opposition being easy.

I'm not prepared to defend either of them.

So, 24 x 11 = 264 hour Console playing marathon session starts Thursday night then... as not allowed to do anything else.

Need to stock up on essential snacks beforehand.

I'm not prepared to defend either of them.

Me neither, but again, for context, if Boris gets to wax lyrical about defending peoples Christmas plans, and criticise Starmer for the opposite, then Starmer has to be able to call him out on it...

I'm neither Labour nor Tory, but Boris is full of ****. And to think, he got the PM's job thanks to the vote of a lot of people that thought it was the 'muslamics' that would destroy Christmas!

Turns out it was the Chinese!!!

upload_2020-12-19_23-21-13.png

.. but it was over privileged, white, Etonian millionaires....

He is the leader of the opposition though, and as such he must take up a contrary position.

It would help if that position was consistent......

B: No it isn't (necessary to cancel xmas)
K: Yes it is
B: No it isn't
K: Yes it is
B: Yes it is
K: Y... errr... No... it's confusing, this opposition lark!

Me neither, but again, for context, if Boris gets to wax lyrical about defending peoples Christmas plans, and criticise Starmer for the opposite, then Starmer has to be able to call him out on it...

So why did Kier not make the point that Boris has - finally - done what he was calling for, emphasing the flip-flop? Still a points win... although then he's the grinch as well.

To clarify, it's not the "plans ripped up" part of what Kier said that riled me the most, even though ripping up those plans was what he was calling for, it was this bit: "Today's announcement will only lead to confusion when people need certainty".

(Some of my thoughts on the flip-flop and the new tier 4 are in the COVID thread, not gonna rehash here save to say - not complimentary of Boris!)

Last edited:
It should be fine if people understand it's a warning against deepfake messages, thought he haven't made that fully clear. Channel 4 have done much worse to the royals with The Windsors, although the Queen is the only one who isn't satirised on the show, perhaps wisely.

Scarborough?

Both are el-****-holio? No, whatev's, IDK.

The point is, being a Sir these days means you may well as be a kiddy fiddler, and have probably sold out the UK whilst campaigning for Brexit.

The exception being, of course, Sir Michael Palin. The most Siriest of all the Sirs ever to Sir.

Yes, you are no longer a knight when you die as it is automatically defunct upon death and to take a knighthood away from a dead person, you'd have to give it back to them first.

However

The older I get, even putting Welsh republicanism to one side, the more I just do not get the fascination or obsession with this honours system.

Back