British Phrases That Baffle The Rest Of The World

One of my favourite words is "peng". Also love "reem", "bang tidy", and "you're the dog's bollocks"

Yeah... I'm going to stick to the Australian slangs thank you very much. I don't want to hurt my head anymore trying to learn more English :lol:.

Yeah... I'm going to stick to the Australian slangs thank you very much. I don't want to hurt my head anymore trying to learn more English :lol:.
I use a combination of Austalian, American and British in every day.
I use jail instead of gaol which is what i used in austalia
I use color instead of colour which is what i used in austalia

A friend of mine, who is an Australian (born) and American citizen (spent half her life in both countries) and now lives in London, has the most confusing accent. Her slang is all over the place and it's almost impossible to know where she is from. People think she's Canadian, which is pretty funny actually. She tells me all the time though that British slang is the hardest to get used to and is quite weird. :lol:

Scottish slang is horrid. My brother lives in Glasgow and oh dear oh dear.

Going to get the messages is one that will stick with me, meaning going to do the shopping.

Last edited:
One thing I couldn't get after moving up to Birmingham was the word outdoor; it's another word for an off-license.

Some Welsh ones??

Big one from where I'm from is 'Mun' which is basically 'Man' at the end of nearly every sentence we say!
'Presh' is short for Precious and is a sign of endearment like 'dear' or 'Honey'
'Boyo' is like 'Son' or 'Lad'

That's all I've got for now, ill think of some more..

You have an entirely separate language, and that's cheating.
I will never forget standing on Cardiff station with the announcements in Welsh before English and thinking where the hell is my train?

Why do you guys call cigarettes fags? What did they ever do to you?

I didn't know this before hand but looking it up out of curiosity I read that middle English fagge means flap or remnant. Fag end is the end or butt of a cigarette so it must come from that.

Back