British Phrases That Baffle The Rest Of The World

Brits don't say this. Only Ray Wilkinson does, a lot.

Also apparent "gone walk abouts" has Now Rogan baffled.

Both of those sayings are perfectly common.

Here's one for the Brits, what do you call a narrow passage between two streets? Ginnel? Sneck? Snicket?

Round 'ere it's a "snicket", not to be confused with a ten-foot.

Both of those sayings are perfectly common.

Here's one for the Brits, what do you call a narrow passage between two streets? Ginnel? Sneck? Snicket?

Round 'ere it's a "snicket", not to be confused with a ten-foot.

As far as I'm aware there are subtle differences which determines what is used. We call them Ginnel's though. My Dad uses Snicket and uses Sneck to mean nose! :D

One of these?

An alley or maybe a lane. I don't think we have a special word for it.

22180095_2386374221588142_1577507551180840994_o.jpg

As far as I'm aware there are subtle differences which determines what is used.

Indeed, that's why I'm interested :)

My Dad ... uses Sneck to mean nose! :D

Round here a sneck is something you slide across to lock a door, oddly to "put t'door on t'sneck" is to leave a Yale-style lock unlocked :D

That would be a tenfoot here, too wide to be a snicket ;)

One of these?

wouldn't that be a... Please pardon this... a Back Passage?? for Back to Back Terrace Houses.

I've just seen this meme
wTu6hnp.jpg

This person seems to think the Bonfire Night celebrations are about celebrating Guy Fawkes :lol:
The whole point is celebrating the foiling of the plan and Fawkes' capture and execution, not saying he did great things.

Why else do we make effigies to stick on the fire to burn?

Here are a few more, most of them seem local to that peculiar peninsular city that is Hull, some of them are wider Yorkshire, some are no doubt nationally recognised. I've added little in the way of descriptions, just to make it more interesting :D

Say what you like about 'er but she's gorra clean step.
Bent as a dog's (or donkey's) hind leg.
Cock-eyed.
I could ride bare-arsed to Brid on that.
Three sheets to the wind.
Neither use n'r'ornament.
He's seen his arse (sometimes followed by 'and he didn't like the colour').
He could fall in dry dock and come out with a fish supper.
I'll give yer summat to cry for!
Who d'ya think y'are, the Queen of Sheba?
Whear thear's muck thear's brass.
I'll tan yer arse.
Chocolate fireguard.
Big talk dun't butter parsnips.
Windmill pie (or 'iffits').
Twagging.
Who's "she"? The cat's mother? (or "the dog's dinner?")
A brick short.
**** with sugar.

I've just seen this meme
wTu6hnp.jpg

This person seems to think the Bonfire Night celebrations are about celebrating Guy Fawkes :lol:
The whole point is celebrating the foiling of the plan and Fawkes' capture and execution, not saying he did great things.

Why else do we make effigies to stick on the fire to burn?

Could be because there was a whole (famous) movie celebrating him...

1511.png

In the US, there are people who celebrate the movie V for Vendetta on November the 5th, when we don't forget that is. And then there's these guys:

usa-protest.jpg

Could be because there was a whole (famous) movie celebrating him...

And because he was a religious extremist of course...that's why his capture is still celebrated and an effigy of him burned at the stake every year, :)

In the US, there are people who celebrate the movie V for Vendetta on November the 5th, when we don't forget that is.

How could anyone forget when the first line is "Remember remember"? :D

And because he was a religious extremist of course...that's why his capture is still celebrated and an effigy of him burned at the stake every year, :)

I realized just now that my post wasn't super clear. I don't think that folks burn effigies because of the movie, but people do misunderstand the original 5th of November celebration because V was their first taste of it. After the movie, it's really legit to consider it two separate guy fawkes celebrations occurring on the same day... ironically at odds with one another. One of them celebrating the squashing of the rebel, and the other celebrating the rebel.

I think the 5th of november just became even cooler in my mind. The same day, same dude, similar symbolism, totally opposing celebrations.

How could anyone forget when the first line is "Remember remember"? :D

Oh yea! I forgot about that.

(This is a joke stolen from a Sandra Bullock movie called Miss Congeniality in which someone brings up the Alamo and and someone else delivers the throwaway line "I forgot about the Alamo" which I'm pretty sure I'm the only person in the world to have gotten. I just re-applied it to the 5th of November.)

I realized just now that my post wasn't super clear. I don't think that folks burn effigies because of the movie, but people do misunderstand the original 5th of November celebration because V was their first taste of it. After the movie, it's really legit to consider it two separate guy fawkes celebrations occurring on the same day... ironically at odds with one another. One of them celebrating the squashing of the rebel, and the other celebrating the rebel.

I think the 5th of november just became even cooler in my mind. The same day, same dude, similar symbolism, totally opposing celebrations.

Perhaps in time America will celebrate April 19th in the same way? ;)

Back