Bugatti VGT? #imaginEBugatti (Update 15/9: So many screenshots!)

• Thread starter FoRiZon
  • 1,061 comments
It's hardly "uninspiring" to name a car after your range of 1960s sports cars or your Le Mans-winning racer.

It's inspiring in a historical way, but IMO hearing Aston Martin Vulcan is a lot more awesome than Dee Pee One Hundred.

Same case with McLaren and their road car division. The MP4 nameplate is legendary, but MP4-12C just sounds like a fax machine (excuse the stereotype).

Anyway, each to their own :)👍 I was just making an observation that the VGT cars rarely have word names (also including the Citroen GTbC and Red Bull X cars, if you count those as VGT forerunners).

I know how much Famine hates Clarkson
Then you know more than I do. I don't hate Clarkson at all.
It's inspiring in a historical way, but IMO hearing Aston Martin Vulcan is a lot more awesome than Dee Pee One Hundred.
Except for people who know what the Aston Martin DP line was.
Same case with McLaren and their road car division. The MP4 nameplate is legendary, but MP4-12C just sounds like a fax machine (excuse the stereotype).
That's because it's a name for F1 geeks only. Normal people don't know what the McLaren F1 cars are called.

By contrast, the Aston Martin DP212 was actually called that... And, after it stopped being a prototype racer, it became a road car, still called that... Lest we forget, the road car range for Aston Martin has also been called DB or V8 for forty years too - the use of names has only been more recent and even then we still have the DBX & One-77.

The use of names inspired by famous cars of old is the actual definition of "inspiring".

In the meantime, your exception the Tomahawk actually comes in three flavours called S, X and GTS-R - uninspiring letters, I think you'll agree - and the full name of any version is "SRT Tomahawk _ Vision Gran Turismo".

Oddly, the last vehicle from FCA called "Tomahawk" was also a concept vehicle - a Viper V10-engined, four wheel motorbike, with a top speed claimed as 420mph. Sounds awfully familiar - and if you're busy ditching named cars because there's other concept cars with the same name...

Then you know more than I do. I don't hate Clarkson at all.
Except for people who know what the Aston Martin DP line was.That's because it's a name for F1 geeks only. Normal people don't know what the McLaren F1 cars are called.

By contrast, the Aston Martin DP212 was actually called that... And, after it stopped being a prototype racer, it became a road car, still called that... Lest we forget, the road car range for Aston Martin has also been called DB or V8 for forty years too - the use of names has only been more recent and even then we still have the DBX & One-77.

The use of names inspired by famous cars of old is the actual definition of "inspiring".

In the meantime, your exception the Tomahawk actually comes in three flavours called S, X and GTS-R - uninspiring letters, I think you'll agree - and the full name of any version is "SRT Tomahawk _ Vision Gran Turismo".

Oddly, the last vehicle from FCA called "Tomahawk" was also a concept vehicle - a Viper V10-engined, four wheel motorbike, with a top speed claimed as 420mph. Sounds awfully familiar - and if you're busy ditching named cars because there's other concept cars with the same name...
Regardless of the letters, the name "tomahawk" comes before them. That's his point.

Regardless of the letters, the name "tomahawk" comes before them. That's his point.
So do "VIZIV" and "Clubman", but they were discounted on the grounds of being names on existing concept cars. So is "Tomahawk", but that wasn't discounted.

And GTI Roadster and GTI Supersport were discounted on the grounds of being "labels" and "not proper names"!

Like it or not, some letter/number combinations are evocative of successful, famous or pretty cars from motoring history - more so than some name plucked from the ether for no particular reason. I find DP100, LM55 and 2X more interesting than "Tomahawk" because they are inspired by famous cars - so to call those names "uninspiring" simply because they're letters and numbers is so far wide of the mark it may as well be a 2,500hp car with pneumatic ERS...

Last edited:
Yes, but he claimed "Tomahawk" was a new name.
Well that's not correct, nor am I saying it is

Edit: Yes I would also argue that Supersport and Roadster can be proper names.

@Famine I actually like letters and numbers as names. My point was purely that the SRT has the name "Tomahawk" despite the inclusion of additional letters.

Last edited:
Aaaaand another thread that's being derailed off topic because someone can't let anyone have their own opinion. If that's not related to the Bugatti VGT keep it to PM. I came here thinking there was something new but there's nothing new about the Bugatti VGT.

So do "VIZIV" and "Clubman", but they were discounted on the grounds of being names on existing concept cars. So is "Tomahawk", but that wasn't discounted.

And GTI Roadster and GTI Supersport were discounted on the grounds of being "labels" and "not proper names"!

Like it or not, some letter/number combinations are evocative of successful, famous or pretty cars from motoring history - more so than some name plucked from the ether for no particular reason. I find DP100, LM55 and 2X more interesting than "Tomahawk" because they are inspired by famous cars - so to call those names "uninspiring" simply because they're letters and numbers is so far wide of the mark it may as well be a 2,500hp car with pneumatic ERS...

Ok, we get it! You know stuff about cars. Get over yourself!

All the guy was trying to say was that the usage of the word "Tomahawk" made the car sound like a weapon. DP100, 2X or LM55 will never make anything sound like a weapon. The history behind the name DP100 may be inspiring but the name itself isn't (it goes for any car that uses letters and/or numbers as a name) so i get why he used the term "uninspiring".

DP100, 2X and LM55 are more inspiring to you than Tomahawk but it doesn't mean that they really are (and it doesn't mean that they're not). It's just YOUR OPINION and I respect it even though i disagree.
Opinions are opinions, they're personal. There's no need to go to war and try to prove others that they're wrong because they don't agree with you.

Now, about the Bugatti VGT, it looks strange. I'm not sure how i feel about it.

All the guy was trying to say was that the usage of the word "Tomahawk" made the car sound like a weapon. DP100, 2X or LM55 will never make anything sound like a weapon. The history behind the name DP100 may be inspiring but the name itself isn't (it goes for any car that uses letters and/or numbers as a name) so i get why he used the term "uninspiring".

DP100, 2X and LM55 are more inspiring to you than Tomahawk but it doesn't mean that they really are (and it doesn't mean that they're not). It's just YOUR OPINION and I respect it even though i disagree.
Opinions are opinions, they're personal. There's no need to go to war and try to prove others that they're wrong because they don't agree with you.

Now, about the Bugatti VGT, it looks strange. I'm not sure how i feel about it.
You are sounded like he was blaming somebody.

He just also stating his opinion. Everyone has opinions. Atleast he didnt force people to buy his opinion.

All the guy was trying to say was that the usage of the word "Tomahawk" made the car sound like a weapon. DP100, 2X or LM55 will never make anything sound like a weapon.
I know what you mean, I mean a MiG-29B which can carry R-73 missiles as well as a GSh-30-1 30mm cannon sounds so much better...

Anyway, about the Bugatti.

Can you try to express yourself without being so boorish in future?
All the guy was trying to say was that the usage of the word "Tomahawk" made the car sound like a weapon.
That's odd, as that's not what he said...
You know what I'm expecting? I hope the Bugatti have a proper name. Believe it or not all VGTs released so far have been named "Manufacturer Vision GT" or some combination of uninspiring letters and numbers. The only exception is the Tomahawk, which makes it all that more badass in my opinion.
What he said was that all of the VGTs released so far have been named "Manufacturer Vision GT or some combination of uninspiring letters and numbers, with the exception of the Tomahawk.

The combinations of letters and numbers in the DP100, 2X and LM55 are literally the opposite of "uninspiring", because they have historical reference to famous cars of the past. The Tomahawk is also not the only one to have a "proper name", but he discounts those that do as being named for other concept cars - which Tomahawk also is - or because he doesn't like the name...

Nothing about weapons.

Can you try to express yourself without being so boorish in future?
I don't know, can you let people have their opinion without saying that they're wrong?

What he said was that all of the VGTs released so far have been named "Manufacturer Vision GT or some combination of uninspiring letters and numbers, with the exception of the Tomahawk.
Which is the case.

The combinations of letters and numbers in the DP100, 2X and LM55 are literally the opposite of "uninspiring", because they have historical reference to famous cars of the past.

Again that's your opinion, it doesn't mean that it has to be inspiring to him.

I don't know, can you let people have their opinion without saying that they're wrong?
Not if my opinion is that theirs is wrong, no.

The difference is that exchanging opinions is not something discouraged here. Being exceptionally rude is. Be civil.
Which is the case.
Which isn't the case. I just wrote it for a second time, but for a third go, the VIVIZ and Clubman VGTs both have names, as do the GTI Roadster and GTI Supersport.

Two of these were discounted because they're apparently not the right kind of name and two because other concept cars from the same maker have that name. As does the Tomahawk, which wasn't discounted.
Again that's your opinion
Not really, no.

I'm not really bothered if anyone's not excited by the names, but DP100 is inspired by the DP212, DP214, DP215 and DP216, 2X is inspired by the rest of the Chaparral 2[letter] names and LM55 is inspired by Mazda's Le Mans winning #55 787B.

More confirmation of race car styling! The wheel hubs are red, and most likely blue on the other side to help the pit crew differentiate between left side and right side wheels. 👍

Finally, something which is on-topic for a change, thank you Carffeine. As for wheel, nothing entirely new, it is a classic multi-spoke wheel design that looks oddly similar to that found in the SRT Tomahawk GTS-R. Nothing wrong with that, mind you, it looks nice enough in my eyes. And as GTRacer said, the detailing seems to match the description of a racing car.

Latest Posts

Back