Bugatti VGT? #imaginEBugatti (Update 15/9: So many screenshots!)

• Thread starter FoRiZon
  • 1,061 comments
The Veyron already weighs in at almost 1900kg, with 987HP, and totals out into 639pp. If this car has the 16.4 engine from the Veyron, it's probably more powerful (About Veyron SS power, if not more), and since it's made of racecar stuff it's automatically much lighter than a Veyron. Much more aerodynamic too, so mid 670s or a bit more?

No great issue with that ... except.

You're figuring on a power plant output of around 2/3rds of the existing power plant.
Assuming we're talking maybe 600 - 700, with less weight.

Any reasoning behind the de-tuned engine?

It's not that I'm against losing power for PP sake.
But I'm struggling to see reason why the same engine in a race-car will suddenly drop HP.

Tend to agree @sparkytooth

Surely it's lighter.
Surely it has better aero.

Therefore you see my issue?

Or on the other hand ... is this an issue at all?
Would we be happy with a 720PP monster?
Or maybe it's weight won't drop that much, hold a similar BHP output, and therefore it's PP is more like 660?
I'ld be happy with that.

*EDIT*
At any rate, I guess we have just a whisker over 1 week before all is revealed.
I just hope people take an interest and use the car ... regardless of PP.
It is, after all, a Bugatti race-car.

Try looking for one of those in a competitors game. :cheers:

Last edited:
Honestly, I'm rather shocked to see any conversation about the Bugatti VGT having less HP than the Veyron. We know it's using a 16.4 engine and just based on 99% of the VGT cars that have come before it - subtle, conservative, understated, practical... NONE of these words have applied to the vast majority of VGT cars and I don't see why the Bugatti would be any different. After all, they make one of the most insane road cars ever built! Here we have, with this VGT program, car manufacturers who produce all sorts of "normal" cars in real life. But, when it was time to build their VGT most of them went with massive amounts of power, aerodynamics and grip. Again, Bugatti already builds a car in real life that is borderline insane -- I can't believe that for the VGT program all of a sudden they're going to give us a mundane, ho-hum race car. When you put 1000+ HP in your road cars via the 16.4 engine, I have a hard time believing that a race car with a 16.4 engine is all of a sudden going to top out at 750 HP.

Just my opinion...

Almost worthy of a GTPlanet competition. :)

Not sure how you got 1.5 tonnes with 1500BHP as 1:1, but I know where you're coming from.
*EDIT*
Oops , of course I get that.
My whoopsie .... soz.
I read it as 1:1.1 somehow.
Yes, I'm a fool. :lol:

I'm guessing 1100BHP - 1500kgs - around 1:135 - 685PP

Well not all of them go for silly power, the most powerful ones are SRT's three machines, the Peugeot, the Aston Martin and the Chapparral. The rest of them barely crack 600hp, with the lowest powereful two not even exceeding 450hp.

It's normal for racecars to be detuned for competition purposes. I'm making my guess based on that. None of you have to believe my guess. Most GTE/GT3 cars have detuned engines.

Fair call.

But the base-line of the Veyron with a 16:4 engine, which is clear to see on the concept, is almost 1000
BHP.

I've asked this question many times ... but I struggle to see why it would be less than this.
Would Bugatti be willing to de-tune their road cars BHP engine and put it into a race-car?

Fair?

On what grounds?

No-one would run that engine in endurance ... so other options??
I'm not disagreeing, just probing.

If they were potentially looking at a realistic racing machine that would fit within some kind of real-world regulations at some point in the future and were interested in getting back into racing, then yes.

Interesting.

Therefore a de-tuned 16:4 seems reasonable to you.
Can't picture it myself, but hey, I'm often wrong. :P

Hope you're right, 'cause that puts the PP into a much more competitive zone.

*EDIT*
Anyway guys, got to go.
It's very late here.
Good chatting about GT instead of arguing about it.

Leave you with it. :cheers:

My money is on the hybrid W16 from the upcoming Chiron but not in a de-tuned guise. In fact Bugatti may drop the engine straight in as they would probably not wish for it's €2m+ hypercar to be seen as less powerful than the lighter VGT in sheer BHP terms. People remember the headline grabbing BHP figure not a power-to-weight ratio.

Current LMP1 hybrids are over 1200bhp with full hybrid power and weigh under 900kg
I think this will have similar specs just with a 1000bhp or a bit over coming from the engine with kers making up the rest.

4wd and 730pp

My guess is that the car will have the Veyron SS variant of the 16.4 and weigh between 1200-1300 kilograms. If this is the case, PP will be about 710. I say this because the Toyota 88C-V has around 750 and has a weight ratio greater than 1:1.

I wouldn't worry too much about power and what it might mean for PP. At the high end of the PP scale power is not worth a lot. Downforce has a much bigger impact on the PP rating.

Yeah, makes me want the Daihatsu VGT even more...

I'm kinda looking forward to the Daihatsu VGT as well! I don't think it'll be slow though, they once made a race car.
attachment.php

Your eyes do not decieve you. This IS a Daihatsu race car. And it's not the only one....

EB44368-daihatsu-P3-5-web-side.jpg

The problem with using the 16.4 powerplant is the weight. It requires 10 coolers, and as such, a lot of coolant. My bet is they will use something else engine wise.

Someone's gone and predicted how the Chiron will look based on the VGT:

http://www.topgear.com/car-news/concept/could-bugattis-veyron-successor-look
That looks great but it also appears to front-engined. That is quite an oversight but the design looks pretty cool though. Why the spy-shots seem to have been ignored is a mystery.

The problem with using the 16.4 powerplant is the weight. It requires 10 coolers, and as such, a lot of coolant. My bet is they will use something else engine wise.
I assume you are referring to the VGT not the Chiron. Look at the aerial photo as it shows the engine is the W16.

phpRu6vv2.jpg

Last edited:
21003376508_e50d9abb7f_c.jpg
Close enough? :lol:
That could be a closed cockpit kart of a Super Truck from 2025. Looks pretty cool. The Daihatsu VGT will probably play homage to those early race cars but with power around the Alpine VGT level. Daihatsu is not known for high power so 450bhp for it is positively insane.

Back