Bye bye people

SkylineObsession

Expert daydreamer
Premium
New Zealand
New Zealand
SkylineObsession
Mangosaurus
No-one will miss me if i don't come on the internet for a few months, will they?

I'm getting too sad/depressed or whatever, that my forums are hardly active. And other stuff unrelated to internet is making me depressed too. :(

Oh dear, but I'm afrade that's life, Up's & Down's!!!
You either learn to swim or you sink. Nobody said it would be easy starting a new site, It takes time, you seem to want over-night miracle's.
Your probably right, saying you won't be missed, but you will gain a lot more credit by showing us all that you will stay and fight, It's no good vanishing away somewhere, for a few months.
Make it work.
cya

Mussie Man take it from a fellow Kiwi that you need to stick in there and hold your head up high and say"**** I hate those Aussie bast***s" It suxs when the All Blacks lose to Aussie road kill, but life goes on and we'll stuff it to em next time. Just stick with it and things can only get better......!!! :)

There are alot of sites out there right now. Its hard to get people to come over when your site is hiding (ie. gt3.com)

You just have to keep plugging away to get your community started. If it makes you feel better I don't have a site and you do! :smilewink I went to your site and it looks good. Keep it up or people won't come back.

Good luck, ghost:smilewink

Don't worry, Mustang Man, you'll find that everything works out OK in the end. How long have you been running your site now?

Be patient man. Go and have your site registered and put on all of the search engines. Jordan has helped me tremendously with my site as far as getting me the tools to improve the traffic flow and confidence. Thanks Jordan.
Just keep your head high and keep on working on it. They will come, but if you dont keep trying, then it wont work.
Good luck.

If you're going to get that serious about your site (not coming online for x amount of time), then get serious about promoting your site. Here are a few pointers that I can give you right off the bat:

1) Buy a Domain name. If you don't have a domain name, people won't take you seriously. You can get one for $10-15. If you can't afford that, then what makes you think users are going to afford time going to your site. If you don't give anything, you won't get anything in return.

2) Drop Geocities hosting. Those banners also make your site look cheap. Again, the more you put in to a site, the more you get out of it.

3) Get some graphics. Your site looks like it has a lot of great content. However, without graphics, a user will get bored--and quick. No graphics = no stimulation = no members.

4) Update your forums. Nobody is going to use your forums if they look nothing like your main site. It is bland. It has the cliche colors and layout--making it look like you just pulled it out of the box and plugged it in--without putting forth any effort to make it apart of your website. Again (How many times can I say this?) The more you put into your website, the more you will get out.

Once you have finished these four steps, then you can start promoting your site. However, if you start promoting it before you finish these steps, your time will be wasted. You may get a jump in users at first, but that will fade fast once they find out your site is as shallow as it is. You have some work to do--but you have good idea. Keep working--it will pay off.

And, if you need some help, you can contact me through xpiso.com. We can get something worked out.

Great post, Corey! That's a definite read for anyone building a community. :)

I don't want to do anything to my forums, incase i screw it up. :(

As for the domain name, there is no way on earth i can afford it, as i have just applied for the unemployment benefit. :(

If, one day, i get a job or win lotto or something, then i will get my own domain name, as i have always wanted one.

If someone can reccomend a better FREE host than f2s.com, then i will.

The only graphics programme we have on this computer is MS Paint. :(

And you said a while ago, that there is no need updateing the forums now, because when IB Gold comes out, it will overwite all the modifications or something.

Bear in mind that i have only started doing webdesign, and got used to the internet, in the last few months. Before that, i was using Geocrappys PageBuilder.

Yeah i know. :)

I advertise it in my signature everywhere i go, and i put it in a search engine the other day too. :)

Originally posted by Mustang man
Eek, thats an ugly face! :D :lol: :lol:
LOL, that's a pretty hefty sweater you've got on, too. Is it really that cold in New Zealand?

Originally posted by Mustang man
I advertise it in my signature everywhere i go, and i put it in a search engine the other day too. :)
Advertising will do no good if the site isn't set up good to begin with (I stated this in my last post).

I'm sorry to hear about the unemployment thing. However, as for updating your forums: I'm not talking about hacking it: There isn't really a need to hack it at this point. Just change the colors. Use the template feature to make the board look like it's part of your site.

Things don't happen over night, but if your serious about things--good things will come your way a lot quicker.

Originally posted by Jordan
LOL, that's a pretty hefty sweater you've got on, too. Is it really that cold in New Zealand?

Sometimes. :)

I'll take a look at that template thing corey. :)

Look at me. Im poor and I have a domain name.
It really doesnt cost for the domain name, just an initial cost, and my cost was 20 dollars.
That was the greatest milestone in my sites career.
Next is continue to promote your site like youve done. Ive done the same and have had a lot of visitors considering the target visitor.
Im also paying a small fee to have the ads removed from my site (unlike other sites I see) so that the visitor isnt bothered by annoying advertisement. Plus it lends a look of professionalism to it.
Im not one on resources, but have had good responsed for the little bit of effort it takes to keep up a good site.
Its not hard and you can still keep it up with little investment that you may make while unemployed.
Good luck to ya man, take it from someone on a time and monetary budget.
Later.

Yep, Misnblu's right. I registered GTPlanet.net at Verio for $20, but this was before I found out about GoDaddy. They've got a weird name, and their site needs a makeover by Xpiso, but you can register a domain name for $7.99!

How much is that in New Zealand dollars?

Corey, is there anywhere/way i can find out the colour codes?
And if i bugger it up, you may have to help me to fix it. :embarrassed:

Oh, I have no idea how much that would be in New Zealand. :confused:

There are literally thousands of HTML resources on the net, I just did a quick search on Google for HTML Color Chart and I think you'll find some of those sites useful. :)

Back