C/S tyres on Supercars PART 3, ????? at ASCARI! Thursday 12th June, 8.30pm BSTOpen 

• Thread starter Zolon32
  • 99 comments
United Kingdom
England
Zolon32
Hello gentlemen and, where appropriate, ladies.

Sorry about the poor quality of the aesthetics of this thread, computers are not my thing!

I am Zolon32 and I have been taking part in good quality, well organised league and competition racing since the release of GT5. Unfortunately, despite the fact that many of the people I race against (most much quicker than me I might add) are very talented when it comes to virtual racing, few of them delight as I do in the feel of a powerful car fighting like hell to deploy its torque through skinny, slippery tyres.

However, the fun and satisfaction to be had by engaging in such a battle and emerging unscathed is the best GT can offer as far as I am concerned; and I am hoping, since you have taken a look at my thread, some of you feel the same way.

THE COMFORT SOFT STOCK SUPERCAR CHALLENGE!

If you're up for a real challenge come and join the fellas who've been having close, clean, serious racing with cars on tyres which demand control in throttle, brakes and steering in equal measure.

The next event will be THE LAMBORGHINI AVENTADOR at ASCARI.

Surprisingly user-friendly, and fantastically quick, the Lambo will, I'm sure, continue on in the spirit that the Comfort Soft Challenge has so far brought out in the racers taking part, hard racing backed by respect for the task at hand.

The race will be around 70 minutes long, with depletion set to very fast to introduce pitstop strategy. The track will be dry to start, but weather will be at 80%, changing at 2X.

Quali will be 7 minutes solo.​

Summary:

Tuning prohibited, all assists prohibited except ABS at 1. Oil change is allowed.

Maximum tyres allowed, Comfort Soft.

Penalties nil, damage light, degradation very fast, boost off, slipstream real, track edge real.

Weather will be set at 80% with zero surface water at the start, changing at 2X.

There will be no mikes in the race room, and no messing getting started; six minutes solo qualifying and away we go. Whether to pit or not will be at your own discretion.

Of course, Online Racing Rules apply, drivers who show little respect for their competition find they meet with the boot in double quick time in my rooms.

SIGNUPS:

Zolon32

Cheers, Zo.

Last edited:
Sign me up, dude! :) I may go with the GTR, I love that thing!

Also, Comfort Meds and Hards are allowed too, right? Also, can we post our Fastest Times so we have an idea what to aim for?

I'm also really bad at this timezone thing lol, but is 8pm BST 12pm PST here in LA?

Last edited:
Hi fellas, thanks for your interest. It looks like we have the makings of a decent grid, as there are few guys from GTA entering too.

Uhraknid, you are correct regarding the time difference, and I hadn't considered other tyres, but if you fancy C/M or C/H be my guest, they could prove to be a wise choice.

Don't worry about announcing which car fellas, you just have to turn up with one from the list on the day, so whatever you've put down here you can change your mind if you wish.

And, ares, by a promising coincidence my fastest time in the Gallardo is 2:18.578. We could be in for a pretty close scrap, although I think I'll be using either the 458 or Aston to be honest, they're all pretty close in overall performance.

Cheers, Zo.

Awesome, thanks for the help, Zolon!

I wanted to post my best time after a few laps with the Viper on CS's and I got 2:21.855! I did a lot better than I expected and I'm honestly pretty happy with it :D I'm gonna keep practicing with a few other of the listed cars so I can see which car suits me best.

Another quick question: When you mean 'tuning prohibited,' do you mean the upgrades on a car, or tampering with the suspension, transmission, and all that?

Last edited:
Awesome, thanks for the help, Zolon!

I wanted to post my best time after a few laps with the Viper on CS's and I got 2:21.855! I did a lot better than I expected and I'm honestly pretty happy with it :D I'm gonna keep practicing with a few other of the listed cars so I can see which car suits me best.

Another quick question: When you mean 'tuning prohibited,' do you mean the upgrades on a car, or tampering with the suspension, transmission, and all that?

Hi Uhraknid, Tuning Prohibited means that the cars must be run just as they come from the dealer, no upgrades are permitted. You can, however, change the oil in the Pit Services section of your home page. Even with a brand new car this will give a useful BHP increase.

You can also install fancy wheels to pimp your motor a bit (Although on the whole this lot look pretty fantastic anyway). But that is it, no chassis stiffening, no trick suspension or power boosting add-ons. With the room set to Tuning Prohibited it won't let you onto the track with any changes to the car.

Keep up the practice fella, and quite soon you'll be finding that a time you just managed to scrape together in the first place becomes routine, then you'll start picking up tenths here, there and everywhere.

If you're going to try the Gallardo, by the way, don't be put off by it's tendency to get seriously sideways under brakes; just make sure you're braking in a straight line and are ready to apply a little throttle as you turn in. You lose a tiny bit of time getting to the corner, but you can really gun it coming out and, in some cases, mid-bend. Once the tyres start going that could make all the difference. (But keep that to yourself, don't want everyone knowing).

Cheers, Zo.

Gents, following another episode of pit stops messing right royally with an endurance race I have decided to make this a race of two halves. Degradation will still be set to normal, but to do away with the need for pits there will be an 18 lap race and a relative sprint at 12 laps.

Cheers, Zo.

Hi, zolon, i have a question, if there is possibility to shift the race for one hour forward ???, from 8pm to 9pm ???, on Thursday 17th April at 90% will go to work on the second shift, I'll be home before 9pm,

Hi, zolon, i have a question, if there is possibility to shift the race for one hour forward ???, from 8pm to 9pm ???, on Thursday 17th April at 90% will go to work on the second shift, I'll be home before 9pm,

Ares, that would mean a late finish here, but I'll ask the other sign-ups and see what their situations are.

Cheers, Zo.

Thanks, I understand the shift starting means the subsequent termination, in Poland will be even later finish due to differences in time, thanks a lot and waiting for a response.

Ares, I've put messages out via PSN and am still waiting for most to reply. One chap has and says he's okay with it, so that's a good start.

Cheers, Zo.

Hey Guys!

This sounds right up my street! If the 9pm start time is OK then i am 100% in... 8pm i will have to see on thie night! Shall i send an FR Zolan, just incase?

Hey Guys!

This sounds right up my street! If the 9pm start time is OK then i am 100% in... 8pm i will have to see on thie night! Shall i send an FR Zolan, just incase?

If this sounds like your kind of racing BJ, then I'd be pleased to receive a FR from you. I think I've got to do a bit of clearing out of my list because I've added a few people myself as a result of my campaign to find fellow fans of the slippier tyres, but if it says I'm full don't worry, I'll get onto it ASAP.

Cheers, Zo.

The Ford GT is incredible, it's fast, easy to drive and very light on it's tyres. I hadn't noticed we'd changed the race format so I went ahead and ran 30 laps practice but the car is still easy to drive at the end of that.

My fastest lap so far with the Ford GT is 2:16.590 on lap 14 so there's some room for improvement, but I'm running consistent 2:17.5s at the moment.

Last edited:
That's very impressive pace Lukas. I think that the GT is perhaps the pick of the bunch, but any edge it has is very small and those lap times would be out of reach for me with it.

I initially set the laps at 31 to set up the dilemma as to whether to go with a car/driving style which is relatively frugal and try to make it without a pit stop, or to go all out and fit a pit stop in. Unfortunately it's a lottery as to what quality of tyre you leave the pits with and I didn't want people's race being ruined by a glitch.

Would you have made 31 laps on one tank?

Cheers, Zo.

I initially set the laps at 31 to set up the dilemma as to whether to go with a car/driving style which is relatively frugal and try to make it without a pit stop, or to go all out and fit a pit stop in. Unfortunately it's a lottery as to what quality of tyre you leave the pits with and I didn't want people's race being ruined by a glitch.

Would you have made 31 laps on one tank?

I picked the Ford GT because IMO it is the best looking car there. I think it is best to leave the race split as from past experiences the 4WD cars will get a lot of tyre wear and it wouldn't be fair for them to require a pit stop especially with the current glitch.

I most likely would have made 31 laps but I usually coast a lot (this is taken into consideration with the games fuel flow?) and it would be really on the limit so I could see someone with a heavier foot running out of fuel halfway around lap 31 which wouldn't be ideal.

Spot on, thanks for that. Once (if ever) the glitch is fixed I'll run a race at 31 laps and it will be interesting to see which way people go. The game definitely does take throttle use into account regarding fuel flow, I often find that I use several litres fewer than other racers; because I drive so slowly :(

Cheers, Zo.

I've used the GTR, Viper, FT-1, and the 458, and I'm constantly running 2:25's and 2:27's with Mediums. I think I have my racing line all wrong o.O lol

Three points here chaps:

Ares, I've had no negative response to the 9pm start, so 9pm it is, but please try to make it at that time if possible.

BJ, I haven't got a F/R from you as far as I can see. You did quote my ID as Zolan, and that might be the problem. But you're welcome to join us and bring whichever of the cars you like.

Uhraknid, I honestly think you would be better using C/S rather than meds. Kudos to you for trying, but they will slow you considerably and give no usable benefit in wear. I notice you were doing 2:21s with the Viper on C/S. That car was marginally the slowest in my testing, so with one from further up the list and on C/S you will be in with a fighting chance.

See you on Thursday fellas, Silverstone awaits!

Zo.

Hi there, my first GTP post :-) Although I won't be able to join you guys tomorrow:grumpy: I'll be keeping a lookout for these sort of races in the future as this is the way forward.

We'll be glad to have you on board MrOversteer, but you just keep your eyes peeled when you're on that bike! Fortunately my paws can't operate a twistgrip or I'd be fancying some of that sort of action. I'm only seven years old too (the photo was taken a while ago) which might prove to be problematic when applying for a licence.

Cheers, Zo.

We'll be glad to have you on board MrOversteer, but you just keep your eyes peeled when you're on that bike! Fortunately my paws can't operate a twistgrip or I'd be fancying some of that sort of action. I'm only seven years old too (the photo was taken a while ago) which might prove to be problematic when applying for a licence.

Cheers, Zo.

Bike??
Paws??
Am I missing something?

Bike??
Paws??
Am I missing something?

Yeah, on the display I'm using there's a little picture at the side of each entry. Yours is of a set of clocks on a motorbike which is getting on down the road a bit, and mine is of........... me, I'm an Alsatian/Collie cross..................... oh, what the hell, who am I kidding? I just pretend to be the dog because he's cute and I'm an ugly S.O.B.

That's it, my subterfuge is exposed, how can I ever show my face in public again?

Cheers, Zo.

Yeah, on the display I'm using there's a little picture at the side of each entry. Yours is of a set of clocks on a motorbike which is getting on down the road a bit, and mine is of........... me, I'm an Alsatian/Collie cross..................... oh, what the hell, who am I kidding? I just pretend to be the dog because he's cute and I'm an ugly S.O.B.

That's it, my subterfuge is exposed, how can I ever show my face in public again?

Cheers, Zo.

Oh I see, I guess i was confused since they're clocks from an Audi R8 that was my company had on test for a week.

I put that up since I too am not a sight for sore eyes :-)

Back