C/S tyres on Supercars PART 3, ????? at ASCARI! Thursday 12th June, 8.30pm BSTOpen 

• Thread starter Zolon32
  • 99 comments
Ha ha, I guess I just made an assumption about bikers and speed. Feel a bit stupid now, which is good, because it's only a bit. Often I feel very stupid.

Anyway, on the original point, I was thinking of setting up a group such as R.o.C.A.S. Racing on Comfort Appreciation Society (Incorporating R.o.S.A.S Racing on sports Appreciation Society), which I believe is a facility available here at GTP. You'd be very welcome to join us (Me at the moment actually).

Cheers, Zo.

Ha ha, I guess I just made an assumption about bikers and speed. Feel a bit stupid now, which is good, because it's only a bit. Often I feel very stupid.

Anyway, on the original point, I was thinking of setting up a group such as R.o.C.A.S. Racing on Comfort Appreciation Society (Incorporating R.o.S.A.S Racing on sports Appreciation Society), which I believe is a facility available here at GTP. You'd be very welcome to join us (Me at the moment actually).

Cheers, Zo.

My plums are nowhere near big enough to even think about trying to get that sort of speed on a bike!

Yeah I'll join in on that, I'll keep a look out for it. I'll add you over the weekend if that's ok with you.

Hi Zolon, do not know if I'll make it in time for the beginning of the race, one of the colleagues at work had some accident in the home, and unfortunately I have to stay until the end of work so if I can not get to home before the start I wants to apologize for the confusion with the change of hour race.

No problem Ares, thanks for letting me know. I'll crack on with the first race as soon as I've got all the signups in, and hopefully you'll be able to make it for the second without having to hang around.

Cheers, Zo.

Well, it's happened fellas, ten competitors and good fun was had by all. I'm sorry that work kept you away Ares, because they were quite epic races with battles throughout the field and some of the cleanest close-up racing I've seen in a while.

I'll get working on another event using realistic grip levels and keep all who are interested informed.

Cheers, Zo.

T'was great fun Z, nice to meet and race with some non GBRC'ers.
Kudos to Lukas and Dusty for using the Aston, I found it fun to drive but I was almost 5 seconds slower than with the Enzo by the time I had got used to it, although any testing time was very limited.

Looking forward to the next one Zo.
All the best,
Jim.

Sorry again Zolon for the bump in the second race, you would have had at least another 2 laps to try overtake the pair in front of you had I not made that mistake.

My plan for the first race (with the Aston) was all wrong, I was hoping by dropping to the back that I'd save the tyres and could make a late charge but I just ended up falling too far behind, I was gaining on the leader but when your ~30 seconds back that doesn't mean much at all. It was great fun and I'd be happy to join you guys again at some stage.

Sorry again Zolon for the bump in the second race, you would have had at least another 2 laps to try overtake the pair in front of you had I not made that mistake.

My plan for the first race (with the Aston) was all wrong, I was hoping by dropping to the back that I'd save the tyres and could make a late charge but I just ended up falling too far behind, I was gaining on the leader but when your ~30 seconds back that doesn't mean much at all. It was great fun and I'd be happy to join you guys again at some stage.

No problem Lukas, it's me who should apologise, I'm a very early braker. People who race with me frequently do me under braking quite often. I'm on zero ABS and I just can't go back to using it, I love the additional feeling of connection with the road I get by being able to get the wheels to lock occasionally.

I know that waiting for me to get back on line ruined your race (Didn't Coke sneak through, the cheeky blighter?!), sorry. If, by some miracle, find myself in front of you in future, just hang on my shoulder approaching the braking zone and you'll slip past no problem.

Cheers, Zo.

It wasn't your fault, I just completely misjudged the distance I needed to slow down and by the time I realised I couldn't get far enough either side to avoid it. I finished exactly where I would have ended up, I believe I got by Coke again after a later mistake but I can't quite remember, either way the guys in front of me were pulling away and the guys behind were either doing similar or slightly slower laps.

Hey, unfortunately I just discovered your thread, but I also love driving/racing supercars on comfort soft tyres as they equal realistic high quality road tyres in my opinion. You seem like a sound guy, if you're going to host such an event again, I'd love to join! 👍

Hey, unfortunately I just discovered your thread, but I also love driving/racing supercars on comfort soft tyres as they equal realistic high quality road tyres in my opinion. You seem like a sound guy, if you're going to host such an event again, I'd love to join! 👍

Thanks for your kind words Kiro. I certainly will be hosting another event of a similar nature, I had some excellent racing during this one and, judging by the replays, so did most of the other people who attended. Speaking of replays, I think these do show how realistic the grip levels of comfort soft tyres are, the cars are moving in a completely natural way, whereas with grippier tyres the replays look like they are speeded up to me.

Cheers, Zo.

Sorry i missed out guys.. my work can be pretty ramdon with lates thrown to keep you on your toes! I will get that FR sent over Z, hope to make it to the next race.... I suppose we have the academy for a while.

I'll keep an eye out for it Bj.

In the next event drivers will have the choice of either the Ferrari 365GTB4 or the Lamborghini Countach LP400, at Spa, again on C/S tyres.

The Lambo has a higher PP and a bit more straight line speed, but the Ferrari has fantastic front end grip, whilst still allowing traction that rivals that of the LP. With me at the helm they post identical lap times, and in testing against a chap with similar abilities to me we lapped time and time again in very close synchronisation. They should make for a brilliant race.

I will have two pit-free races again, with water down to spice up the second race, or perhaps a dry start with a bit of rain............. who knows.

My dilemma is whether to host it on a Monday or a Thursday. If it is to be a Thursday the earliest I can make it is 29th May. If that is acceptable to the guys who are interested in taking part can you please endorse your interest on this thread, and I'll set the date. It'll be a 9:00pm BST start again.

Cheers fellas, thanks for your interest, Zo.

I'm interested, never drove either car but it sounds fun. I should be able to make either day but will have to pull out if I have an exam the next day.

I'll see if I can make the next race :) The last one was real fun, despite me running at the back pretty much both whole races.

I feel kinda silly asking this and all, but, can you guys give me some feedback on my driving? I don't know if I'm too much of a leadfoot or if I'm holding too much back due to me thinking I'll drive myself off the track. I really admired how the rest of you handled the supercars around the track, all just inches from eachother. That's something I'm shooting for, ever since I got my DFGT.

I'm far from being the fastest out there myself Uhraknid, but I'll have a look at the replay from inside your motor and see if there's anything obvious I can point out.

Don't be too hard on yourself though, all the drivers there were extremely competent and finishing on the same lap as some of them on comfort tyres and with no assists is a feat a surprisingly large number of racers who fancy themselves wouldn't manage.

Cheers, Zo.

@rubbertoe34 From my experiences people racing in events like these (as opposed to public lobbies) will be much more aware of what is going on around them so you can race closer without touching, the drivers usually know whether or not it is safe to make an attempt at passing so you will often see a car go to overtake but then abandon the move just before the apex to avoid a collision. The best way to practice racing up close with others is to perhaps gather a few friends and just run some casual races where winning doesn't matter much, if you make a mistake and take each other out wait for them to rejoin the track and continue, you'll soon learn how to handle your car around others.

Personally I feel that I am fast enough when running laps alone but as soon as I'm around other cars I am too hesitant to overtake and often make mistakes because I'm too slow at deciding whether or not to go for the pass.

I would also have a look at your driving in the replay but unfortunately I forgot to save the replays for both races.

Thanks for the kind words, guys, really :) I'll definitely keep practicing!! And I'll for sure practice on online lobbies!

Uhraknid, I've had a look at a replay and man there's nothing much to do to polish your driving to a pretty good standard in my opinion. I expect you'll be quicker than me quite soon.

First thing is more personal choice than anything else really. You seem to hold on to gears just a fraction longer than is ideal. Especially with something like the GTR, it's got a tidal wave of torque, so there's no need to drive it over the red line. In fact, shifting a bit before the red line is probably quicker with that particular motor.

Next is that you just seem to carry a little too much speed into corners too often. Everybody does this once in a while, but getting your speed off early costs you much less time than having to dump it as you go through the bend. You don't do it all the time by any means, but a couple of corners each lap. Just concentrate on really nailing braking points and only adjusting them to account for tyre wear, or extra speed gained by drafting.

Finally, and I think this is the one where you'll pick up most pace most consistently, you do have a curious habit of moving towards the centre of the track on your approach to a corner instead of staying out as wide as possible. I'm not going to lecture you about what this does to your racing line because I'm sure you know, and you probably don't realise you're doing it.

So, that's it. I'll expect to see you giving me a good scrap in the Classics.

Cheers, Zo.

Hi Guys!

100% in for the next race... ive sent you a FR Zolon (if i spelt it correctly!)

Just brought the Lambo for a few test laps... If its late May then we will have plenty of pratice!
Will anyone else be posting any lap times? As soon as i get 3 clean laps (only managed 2 laps total before SWMBO called time) i will put up my time.

IM not fast but gives everyone a target or lets them know how far ahead they are :bowdown:

Uhraknid, I've had a look at a replay and man there's nothing much to do to polish your driving to a pretty good standard in my opinion. I expect you'll be quicker than me quite soon.

First thing is more personal choice than anything else really. You seem to hold on to gears just a fraction longer than is ideal. Especially with something like the GTR, it's got a tidal wave of torque, so there's no need to drive it over the red line. In fact, shifting a bit before the red line is probably quicker with that particular motor.

Next is that you just seem to carry a little too much speed into corners too often. Everybody does this once in a while, but getting your speed off early costs you much less time than having to dump it as you go through the bend. You don't do it all the time by any means, but a couple of corners each lap. Just concentrate on really nailing braking points and only adjusting them to account for tyre wear, or extra speed gained by drafting.

Finally, and I think this is the one where you'll pick up most pace most consistently, you do have a curious habit of moving towards the centre of the track on your approach to a corner instead of staying out as wide as possible. I'm not going to lecture you about what this does to your racing line because I'm sure you know, and you probably don't realise you're doing it.

Thank you very much for the tips! I greatly appreciate them :) I never really noticed the transmission part, I had always thought it was best to change at the redline. I'll definitely keep that in mind with cars with higher torques.

I'll definitely work on the braking, and for-sure your last point XD I've always known I've had that habit, it's a weird one I've noticed even when it's happening at the moment, but it's almost like a force of habit! From now on though, I'll break that habit for sure before this nexxt race :) And thank you again, it really means a lot!

Yeah Bj, oil change no problem, and I understand that chassis reinforcement can be used in 'tuning prohibited' rooms so, since I've no way of Policing it, that is allowed too, although I've not done it myself.

Those lap times seem competitive from my memory of where I was at last time I had a go.

Cheers, Zo.

Thanks for the confirmation. Haddnt done the oil or chassis so im OK either way..

Good to know im not too far off the pace!

Hi, was wondering if I might be able to join you for the next race? Is it still the Lambo or the Fezza?

Hi, was wondering if I might be able to join you for the next race? Is it still the Lambo or the Fezza?

You certainly can Ant.

Yep, you can choose to use either car or both, as we'll be having two races, with a reverse grid and a splash of water in the second to add spice. I know that reverse grids can be a nightmare, with racers bullying their way to the front, but I had hoped that hot cars on slippy tyres would attract drivers with a little more self respect than the idiots who do that. And I was right! The second race at Silverstone was a blinder, with fantastic behaviour throughout.

THE DATE IS NOW SET AT THURSDAY 29th MAY 2014, 8.30pm BST, by the way.

Cheers, Zo.

Excellent choice of event once again Zo, not driven the Lambo yet so I'll go for that one, the fezza is a nice drive but I've done a fair few casual races in it before now.

Thats providing I can make it!!

Yours under the thumbingly,
Jim.

Latest Posts

Back