Calling all Musicians, show off your compositions and covers here.Music 

• Thread starter Skython
  • 453 comments
Finally can get around to upload a few songs through soundcloud but i'm wondering since none of the bandmates have the time to record the drums, would it sound really, really bad if we just use the drum sounds from Guitar Pro's RSE ?

You can get away with quite a bit when it comes to drums. As long as it isn't Guitar Pro's standard sounds, you should be okay. (I'm assuming GP5?) :P

You can get away with quite a bit when it comes to drums. As long as it isn't Guitar Pro's standard sounds, you should be okay. (I'm assuming GP5?) :P
Yeah the one i have is GP5 lol, but one of my mates uses GP6 so i think it would be good.

Thanks !

I recorded another vocal cover, this time of Lucifer from Avantasia's new album Ghostlights. I mean come on, if Tobi is going to offer entire karaoke versions of his songs, I'm going to use them, dammit!

I also learned that harmonizing reasonably well is hard. Especially once vibrato comes into the mix, and when you also don't know how to mix. :P From now on when I hear a singer perfectly harmonize a vibrato, I'm going to take a moment and bow down.

I hope this is not considered as advertisement, please let me know if I break any rules.
There's a certain prideness in me right now, because the music project from my dad, 'HAL's Voice' has finally released its second album and I was heavily involved this time. Not only have I designed the cover/booklet, including pictures of a fantastic local based artist, I also programmed almost all of the synths and even had my hands in some of the songwriting.

The CD is available on Amazon.de and also a local record store. Seeing your own work presented like this is kinda weird, but really cool at the same time. :embarrassed:

img0770kopiea1jcf.jpg

img0771kopieh0kw4.jpg

img0772kopie1ejfs.jpg

You can listen to the title track and an album preview here: https://soundcloud.com/hals-voice

I hope this is not considered as advertisement, please let me know if I break any rules.
There's a certain prideness in me right now, because the music project from my dad, 'HAL's Voice' has finally released its second album and I was heavily involved this time. Not only have I designed the cover/booklet, including pictures of a fantastic local based artist, I also programmed almost all of the synths and even had my hands in some of the songwriting.

The CD is available on Amazon.de and also a local record store. Seeing your own work presented like this is kinda weird, but really cool at the same time. :embarrassed:

You can listen to the title track and an album preview here: https://soundcloud.com/hals-voice

They sound awesome! True prog rock, not the overly complex kind that prog has become nowadays.

Finally, our band has just published it's first song. Note that we used bits of instruments sound from GP5 (we live separately from different towns and time wasn't in our luck so we can't record together, yet) so it doesn't sound as good as songs from you guys.

Anyways, i hope you all enjoy this song.

Appreciate any feedbacks and comments, thanks guys !

Last edited:
Work in progress:

Nice :) I think you should add some vocals though, that would take it to the next level!

yeah, although we're planning on making it instrumental, we have no idea for the vocal (at least not yet). Thanks for the feedback man !

and damn, you composed that ? that sounds amazing !

I maked diz:

Well, at least the video. For the song itself, I only contributed the intro synths.
We plan to make some more videos like this, or similar, to get some more exposure in social networks.
Every click, like and share is appreciated of course.

@eran0004, that's really impressive 👍 For some weird reason though, when I click on either one of these links it leads to your SoundCloud page but it is completely blank - can you post a link to your main page?

--

I wrote and recorded a new song over the last couple of nights, and posted it on SoundCloud yesterday. It's a song about having a 'phantom' relationship (which is a bit of a strange topic, but there you go...) and so it is called 'Phantom'. Once I'd recorded the basic guitar and bass tracks, I decided to add a couple of synth tracks to make it sound a bit more 'airy', and I found one pad synth sound that sounded a bit like air with ghostly voices whispering through it, which fit the bill nicely. Anyway, right at the end of the track, I can hear what sounds a lot like a female voice saying 'Christopher' (my name!), which is freaky as anything, but given the subject matter of the song it is doubly weird. Anyway, feel free to check it out for yourself!

Finally, our band has just published it's first song. Note that we used bits of instruments sound from GP5 (we live separately from different towns and time wasn't in our luck so we can't record together, yet) so it doesn't sound as good as songs from you guys.

Anyways, i hope you all enjoy this song.

Appreciate any feedbacks and comments, thanks guys !

It's a good start. Though I agree with Eran0004. Could do with some vocals. I like the build-up, very natural. Though I can definitely hear the elements of Guitar Pro. :P If you wanted me to, I could muck about and see what I could do with a vocal. :D

----

Anyway, this morning I recorded an acoustic vocal/guitar cover of A Farewell to Kings by Rush. Unfortunately, I can't play the acoustic bit, which is a bit ironic, but what can I do? I'm an nearly average at best guitarist, hence why I consider myself a singer who also does a bit of guitar, not the other way around. :P I recorded both guitar and vocals at the same time to try and keep that natural feel, but the result was more just a far too loud vocal. :lol: So turn your speakers down when the vocals come up.

I would have uploaded to Soundcloud, but from what I'm reading in their rules and all that, they don't want people uploading covers.

Last edited:
@Skython I forgot my headphones today so I won't be able to listen until later... but I'll definitely give it a play when I get home!

I didn't know that SoundCloud was taking down cover versions - I know several people who post cover versions and haven't ever had them taken down. I think you should be OK with it provided it is not a current track and/or you are not a user that gets thousands of plays, but then again I wouldn't be surprised if you got some jerk reporting your cover version and SC removing it/banning you.

I'm getting a bit tired of SC for various reasons, and I'm planning to use Bandcamp and Youtube instead...

@Skython I forgot my headphones today so I won't be able to listen until later... but I'll definitely give it a play when I get home!

I didn't know that SoundCloud was taking down cover versions - I know several people who post cover versions and haven't ever had them taken down. I think you should be OK with it provided it is not a current track and/or you are not a user that gets thousands of plays, but then again I wouldn't be surprised if you got some jerk reporting your cover version and SC removing it/banning you.

I'm getting a bit tired of SC for various reasons, and I'm planning to use Bandcamp and Youtube instead...

I never actually tried uploading it. :dopey: I just read the terms and conditions on the matter, I'll upload it and see if it gets taken down, or reported.

It's a good start. Though I agree with Eran0004. Could do with some vocals. I like the build-up, very natural. Though I can definitely hear the elements of Guitar Pro. :P If you wanted me to, I could muck about and see what I could do with a vocal. :D
it's alright man, my mates wanted it to be instrumental so i can't argue with them lol. We did use a lil bit of guitar pro since we can't get around to actually record it ourself. Maybe in the near future :D

I never actually tried uploading it. :dopey: I just read the terms and conditions on the matter, I'll upload it and see if it gets taken down, or reported.
Superb vocals!, and not a bad attempt at the acoustic guitar either, but you should have a dig through SoundCloud for a collaborator who might be looking for a proper rock vocalist like yourself to do a Rush track or two... I've seen at least one guy who has covered entire Genesis albums with a vocalist collaborator and the results are very impressive, though arguably I reckon you could do an even better job with your vocals - you've nailed the essence of this track, and it would be great to hear a non-acoustic version, though that would be a massive task for anyone!

Superb vocals!, and not a bad attempt at the acoustic guitar either, but you should have a dig through SoundCloud for a collaborator who might be looking for a proper rock vocalist like yourself to do a Rush track or two... I've seen at least one guy who has covered entire Genesis albums with a vocalist collaborator and the results are very impressive, though arguably I reckon you could do an even better job with your vocals - you've nailed the essence of this track, and it would be great to hear a non-acoustic version, though that would be a massive task for anyone!

Wow, thanks! :D That's actually a good suggestion.

I...actually want to try making music. I have absolutely no clue how to write or read music, though. If anything, I have a good ironically deaf ear for hearing different layers in the same song (if that makes sense).

Would you guys be willing to help me learn?

Sure 👍

What kind of music do you see yourself making?
Well, I'm kinda flexible. Mostly electronic, if my tastes are anything to go off of.

Edit: the problem is I have zero music understanding outside of super basic stuff like drums.

Last edited:
Well, I'm kinda flexible. Mostly electronic, if my tastes are anything to go off of.

Edit: the problem is I have zero music understanding outside of super basic stuff like drums.
The good news is that you don't need any formal training to get into creating music - you don't need to read or write music unless you are interested in mastering an instrument or becoming a professional musician or composer... you can get lessons and/or online training courses on just about anything these days, but you can always start off by doing your own thing and seeing how you get on.

Like anything else, you will probably find yourself having to buy some basic equipment (like a keyboard or a microphone) and then finding an appropriate software package to use it with. I have this: https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/bundles/komplete-11/ and this: https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/maschine/production-systems/maschine/ - all told it was a lot of money, and I can barely use it through a lack of patience learning how to use the bloody things, but I bought a cheap (£100) keyboard and in theory I could create just about anything I wanted - in practice, however, it's mainly to create drum loops and add backing tracks to guitar and vocal songs. All up, those two things cost about £900, so they are pricey - but Komplete (about £500) is utterly brilliant and is more than enough for someone like me; Maschine, on the other hand, was a bit of a waste of money for me, but I still enjoy using it and will maybe even learn how to use it eventually... :P

You can start off with a much cheaper thing like this: https://www.image-line.com/flstudio/ You may even still be able to get a free demo of a similar package - buy a cheap keyboard that plugs into your PC/laptop via USB and you are good to go. Get a decent pair of headphones (really important!) and a cheap/free DAW software package (digital audio workstation) like Cubase LE (https://www.steinberg.net/en/landing_pages/cubase_le_8/download.html) and you can start recording stuff. I didn't realise I needed a DAW at first, thinking that something like Komplete (which is a package of various digital instrument simulators) would have a package that let you actually play and record stuff, but it doesn't. Cubase LE, however, allows you to use your music software (like Komplete) and create a multi-layered track using as many instruments as you like. Cubase LE is more than enough for a beginner like me, but the fact it is free is pretty amazing. There are loads of DAW packages out there, but again it depends on how much money you are planning to spend and how much time and effort you are willing to put into learning how to use it...

On a more general note, in my experience recording is the key to getting into creating music - if you want to learn to play guitar and/or sing, buy a good microphone and record everything you do. If you want to learn to create electronic tracks, buy a keyboard, get some software like that described above, and just start playing and recording. You can then mess about with editing using something like Audacity to learn the basics (http://www.audacityteam.org/ - free). Before long you will be able to create more complex tracks in something like Cubase, but the real fun for me comes in playing, overdubbing and hearing new combinations of instruments 'live'... and so long as you are recording, you can 'remember' any ideas or interesting sounds/combinations forever and then use them later. In some cases, I have keyboard tracks I saved to floppy disk over 25 years ago that I have used to form the basis of guitar/vocal songs today...

Last edited:
The good news is that you don't need any formal training to get into creating music - you don't need to read or write music unless you are interested in mastering an instrument or becoming a professional musician or composer... you can get lessons and/or online training courses on just about anything these days, but you can always start off by doing your own thing and seeing how you get on.

Like anything else, you will probably find yourself having to buy some basic equipment (like a keyboard or a microphone) and then finding an appropriate software package to use it with. I have this: https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/bundles/komplete-11/ and this: https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/maschine/production-systems/maschine/ - all told it was a lot of money, and I can barely use it through a lack of patience learning how to use the bloody things, but I bought a cheap (£100) keyboard and in theory I could create just about anything I wanted - in practice, however, it's mainly to create drum loops and add backing tracks to guitar and vocal songs. All up, those two things cost about £900, so they are pricey - but Komplete (about £500) is utterly brilliant and is more than enough for someone like me; Maschine, on the other hand, was a bit of a waste of money for me, but I still enjoy using it and will maybe even learn how to use it eventually... :P

You can start off with a much cheaper thing like this: https://www.image-line.com/flstudio/ You may even still be able to get a free demo of a similar package - buy a cheap keyboard that plugs into your PC/laptop via USB and you are good to go. Get a decent pair of headphones (really important!) and a cheap/free DAW software package (digital audio workstation) like Cubase LE (https://www.steinberg.net/en/landing_pages/cubase_le_8/download.html) and you can start recording stuff. I didn't realise I needed a DAW at first, thinking that something like Komplete (which is a package of various digital instrument simulators) would have a package that let you actually play and record stuff, but it doesn't. Cubase LE, however, allows you to use your music software (like Komplete) and create a multi-layered track using as many instruments as you like. Cubase LE is more than enough for a beginner like me, but the fact it is free is pretty amazing. There are loads of DAW packages out there, but again it depends on how much money you are planning to spend and how much time and effort you are willing to put into learning how to use it...
I appreciate this.

I do have a question for you guys. One of the reasons I want to learn about music is so I can learn a specific chord I heard in a Fandroid song (1:46):

What is going on with that bit of the music?

I appreciate this.

I do have a question for you guys. One of the reasons I want to learn about music is so I can learn a specific chord I heard in a Fandroid song (1:46):

What is going on with that bit of the music?

Figured it out. It's an arpeggio. I asked because I want to make my own arpeggio as a channel intro tune.

Just discovered this thread. I've made lots of songs in ACID Music Studio, ever since I was in year 3. Those songs are long gone, but I still remember some pieces I created. I remastered a few of them, based purely on my memory. I use loop-based material because I don't have any musical instruments at my place. Many of these loops came from my primary and secondary school (downloaded via USB). My compositions are quite varied, consisting of jazz, rock, dance, rap (beats) and some more alternative stuff in between. I must say my work is very original and pretty good for the equipment I have (or don't have). I'll upload some songs on my YT channel so you can take a listen.

Want to show a rap beat I did a long time ago (2014) with an old song's intro, but the webpage doesn't have an extension... And I didn't upload it on my soundcloud... yet... Let's see who gets inspired with it, since a friend who is a rapper didn't use it AFAIK... At least he kept it, and gave it a rap drum bass :)

Had to use stock material unfortunately but whatever.
I think the cut itself came out well.
That's the title track of my dad's album I posted before.

I started to write my own songs with Guitar Pro 6 and Cubase by the way.
I'm curious what people will say about my own stuff, once it's in a proper state.

I always get lyric ideas in my head and can never get them to completion. I'd like some help with that.

The verse I came up with today is about Battlefield 1:

We've lost our sons, lost our fathers
Too many gone to the slaughter
How can we end this industrialized horror,
And ease the suffering and sorrow?

(...)

The end is nigh, but we will fight
Even if we never get to see the night

I pretty much drew a blank after that.

Latest Posts

Back