Calling all track designers, show off your work!

• Thread starter glassjaw
  • 1,273 comments
That first track around the Astrodome is good.

I think we've been through this, but Austin isn't far away. đź‘Ť

I get excited every time I think about it.

I see no reason why series like Indycar couldn't run at Austin. Hell, if NASCAR wanted another road circuit race, they could go there, too. They already manage it at Sonoma. I don't think Bernie would mind; he seems to like Formula 1 to race at circuits purpose-built for the championship, but he doesn't object to other series racing there once it's done. It's the idea of Formula 1 visiting circuits that were built for other series that doesn't seem to sit well with him.

And speaking of Austin, here's a street circuit for them, too.

Downtown Austin is quite hilly for a sports car race. The part along N. Lamar and Pease Park is a good idea though.

Pease Park has the hardest disc golf course. /OT

I know it wasn't your idea. I went to the last ALMS and Champ Car race there.

Yeah, I read it wrong. I ended up going to the IndyCar race up at TMS a few times, for me it was fairly intense stuff.

I see no reason why series like Indycar couldn't run at Austin. Hell, if NASCAR wanted another road circuit race, they could go there, too. They already manage it at Sonoma.

IndyCar would be fun to watch on that. NASCAR would probably have a shorter way around it, and I think they had a little cutoff area that shortened it. Plus, NASCAR could get a little sketchy with those two long straights and hairpin corner dividing them.

Sadly, this is the best I could think of for Reliant Park. It's tough to think with a headache.

yllol.gif

Made another Honolulu one. I's a bit long, but I just love it! This part of Waikiki Beach has some really awesome curvy roads. And they're all pretty wide. I also followed it on Google Street view, and with the scenery it would be one of the prettiest races on the calender. Call it the F1 Pacific Grand Prix, and you've got yourself a deal!
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=4376376

lookay haeea, i gots me a sketchupsist

Translated version: hello kind sir, I will answer your question, as I design tracks with google sketchup

Ah. I did like your tracks upon looking back at them a few minutes ago.

Any updates/new ones?

...and while I'm at it, I had a boring saturday, so I ended up messing around with Texas Motor Speedway's road course, just imagining how I'd repave or redo it. It came out to about 2 miles. Here it is.

I'm working on tracks in Honolulu and Anchorage. The thing is, I have to take screenshots of pieces of the map, line them up, and draw in the route with an image editing program. I do this because Yahoo Maps has always been more accurate for me than Google (look in Google Maps satillite view and you can see just how badly the map matches up with the actual roads... sometimes. UPDATE: They seem to have made good progress on fixing some of the issues, but if you zoom in you can see that many roads still don't quite match up. Also, they turn many smooth curves into sets of abrupt angles, if you can guess what I mean here).

And I just realized, your Anchorage tracks use a lot of the industrial area. Mine would use only a very small part of that part, most of it would be downtown.

If I ever finish mine, though, we could perhaps figure out some way to connect them...

As for Honolulu, most of mine runs on Ala Moana Blvd/Nimitz Hwy between Waikiki and the harbor, running off into the city on the northbound side because part of Ala Moana Blvd doesn't seem wide enough to support a dual carriageway. The track splits (and the southbound side changes lanes) at the Atkinson Dr intersection, and the S/F line is located in Waikiki on Ala Moana Blvd. The track turns left on Kalakaua Ave, then left again on Kapiolani Blvd, then left yet again on Atkinson drive. From there it rejoins the Ala Moana Blvd dual carriageway.

Sorry if this is hard to understand, I may try explaining it better later.

UPDATE: The good news is, I decided to make a "quick" map of my Anchorage course with the Gmaps pedometer. The bad news is, it's longer than the Nurburgring North Loop, and probably the 24h circuit too.

UPDATE AGAIN: I also designed an 8.15 mile course around Wasilla. Originally it was going to be the master variant, and thus the longest, but you know how those things are. Considering my propensity for designing long tracks, I wouldn't be surprised to make one longer than the Targa Florio. Probably around Wasilla.

Here's the track I thought would be longer than Targa Florio. It ended up a bit short at 38.52 miles, but it's still huge. With some edits I could probably get it over 45 miles, but that would be pointless.

Here's the North Fairview Course, which comes in at about 12.25 miles.

Here's the 8.98 mile South Fairview Circuit.

Here's the original master variant. It comes in at 8.15 miles and includes both twisty roads and long straight sections.

Here's the 7.19 mile South Course.

Here's the South Abbreviated Course, which is juuuuuuust over 6 miles.

Here's the West course. 5.45 miles.

Here's the Southwest Course. 4.49 miles.

Here's a Wasilla track of a more manageable size. It's the West Abbreviated Course and runs 4.09 miles through downtown Wasilla and the Palmer-Wasilla Hwy.

Here's the Southwest Residential Course, which is about 3.3 miles.

Here's the 3.13 mile Southwest Highway Circuit, which has a very fast, simple design.

Here's the 2.75 mile East Course.

Here's a Wasilla track of a much more manageable size. It's the North Course and runs 1.74 miles through downtown Wasilla.

Here's my original Anchorage course. It's about 15.08 miles, almost as long as the Nurburgring 24h Circuit. I'm thinking of removing that excessively long north section and tacking on Taggles's course, since that would still contain specific roads I'm after (too lazy to explain) and would probably shorten it up quite a bit.

I can't wait for someone else to post so I can stop editing this post and make a new one.

Last edited:
Back