Calling gran turismo 7 a Simcade is a joke.

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Honestly. Some people calling it a simcade just because they play pc simulators, is a joke.

It’s a simulation. Yes it could be even more greater than it is already, if PD had the power, but it’s a simulated racing driving game. It’s also a very good driving simulation at that.

A simulation is a mathematical interpretation of a real world. Driving, art, cars and real world details implemented into a game.

Gran turismo 7 is a simulation, not a Simcade.

Honestly who cares what other people call it?

It’s how you enjoy it that matters bud.

I get called a power ranger when I’m in my leathers by friends that drive Tiguans…while I sling my leg over a 190hp motorbike…

It’s a game, all of them are games.

I do not drive or ride the same as I do on any game. So even sim is a bit of an overstatement for anything from racing games to really multi million pound aircraft simulators.

Okay...but if you've never played Assetto Corsa or something similar with a FFB wheel, you probably can't comment. The driving experience just has another level of immersion on those games. GT7 has great handling for what it is, but I think the tyre physics in particular are holding it back from giving it that top-level immersive driving feel.

Simcade is the dumbest term ever coined by the sim racing community groupthink. I prefer "sim-lite" because what is known as a "simcade" is still simulating, and equating it in some way with arcade by tagging the "cade" on the end is just a less aggressive way of an elitist attack on a title that may not be of their liking. Only true "arcade" racers are not trying to simulate anything in reality.

My examples would be:

Arcade: Ridge Racer, Burnout Paradise, Outrun
Sim-lite: GT7, WRC 10, DiRT Rally 2.0, Forza
Full sim: Assetto Corsa Competizione, rFactor 2, Automobilista 2

I look at it more as being what kind of simulation value a title brings to the table. High simulation value means everything is being modeled (as correctly as possible): air pressure, elevation, tire temps, tire pressures, aero, green/rubbered track, etc... ACC for example has all that and I consider it a full sim. GT7 does not have all of the elements required to be a full sim, but that doesn't mean GT7 ceases to be a sim. It's still a simulation of driving automobiles, albeit with less overall simulation value.

The #1 criteria for me is if the physics are intuitive, no matter how basic the rest of the game is. This is a problem I had with Project CARS 2 which has very high simulation value but handling that did not feel intuitive to me. ACC on the other hand is a game with very high simulation value but does feel intuitive. That's why I put 200 hours into ACC and around 10 hours into PC2. GT7 feels intuitive to me. So I enjoy it even though it is lacking in simulation value.

And if you think things are bad around here, try Race Department or worse, a lot of the streamers from Spain who slap "arcade" on anything that isn't iRacing or DiRT Rally (which is an oxymoron in itself).

Last edited:
I posted this on Reddit a few days ago:

I've never been a fan of the sim/cade/arcade labels, as I feel they're often used in an elitist or deragotary sense.

The way I see it, if a game attempts to recreate real-world motorsport in a somewhat relaistic manner, it's a racing sim. How casual/serious it is depends on the game in question, its physics/features/goals etc.

There's obviously a massive difference in fidelity and depth between something like a Gran Turismo and an iRacing, but their primary goal is stil, the same: to represent motorsport.

I'm sure there are many real-world racers out there who first started with more mid-range games like Gran Turismo in the 90s and eventually moved up and transitioned into real-world motorsport. Heck, the Junior WRC rally driver I work with started his career playing Colin McRae Rally.

GT Sport's opening movie had a message I take with me wherever I go now: Driving is for Everyone 🙂

Simcade is the dumbest term ever coined by the sim racing community groupthink. I prefer "sim-lite" because what is known as a "simcade" is still simulating, and equating it in some way with arcade by tagging the "cade" on the end is just a less aggressive way of an elitist attack on a title that may not be of their liking. Only true "arcade" racers are not trying to simulate anything in reality.

My examples would be:

Arcade: Ridge Racer, Burnout Paradise, Outrun
Sim-lite: GT7, WRC 10, DiRT Rally 2.0, Forza
Full sim: Assetto Corsa Competizione, rFactor 2, Automobilista 2

I look at it more as being what kind of simulation value a title brings to the table. High simulation value means everything is being modeled (as correctly as possible): air pressure, elevation, tire temps, tire pressures, aero, green/rubbered track, etc... ACC for example has all that and I consider it a full sim. GT7 does not have all of the elements required to be a full sim, but that doesn't mean GT7 ceases to be a sim. It's still a simulation of driving automobiles, albeit with less overall simulation value.

The #1 criteria for me is if the physics are intuitive, no matter how basic the rest of the game is. This is a problem I had with Project CARS 2 which has very high simulation value but handling that did not feel intuitive to me. ACC on the other hand is a game with very high simulation value but does feel intuitive. That's why I put 200 hours into ACC and around 10 hours into PC2. GT7 feels intuitive to me. So I enjoy it even though it is lacking in simulation value.

And if you think things are bad around here, try Race Department or worse, a lot of the streamers from Spain who slap "arcade" on anything that isn't iRacing or DiRT Rally (which is an oxymoron in itself).
If you crank all the assists on/up as far as they go, the cars practically drive themselves, just like an arcade game. You don't have that with rFactor, AC, etc. So if one can turn the experience into one not dissimilar from a Need For Speed game whilst also getting a pretty good simulation experience by turning all the assists off and using a FFB wheel, then the term "sim-cade" seems like an apt description that fits GT better than any other franchise out there. PCars 1/2 feel more like a sim-lite, at least in the way I'm envisioning the term being used.

Either way, it's really just semantics at the end of the day.

Honestly. Some people calling it a simcade just because they play pc simulators, is a joke.

It’s a simulation. Yes it could be even more greater than it is already, if PD had the power, but it’s a simulated racing driving game. It’s also a very good driving simulation at that.

A simulation is a mathematical interpretation of a real world. Driving, art, cars and real world details implemented into a game.

Gran turismo 7 is a simulation, not a Simcade.
I agree wholeheartedly. and unlike some games that only focus on group GT3 and GT4 classes, Gran Turismo does a lot more and for many more types of classes.

I could probably run out space of if I wrote the many things that I've experienced playing Asetto Corsa and Project Cars that prove how arcade-y those are with certain aspects of their games too. (like long ago in PC 1 where cars in my race were driving like the roads weren't wet and their times reflected that!), so the term sim-cade is daft.

Last edited:
I've always been of the opinion that "simcade" doesn't exist, what exists are depths of simulation.

GT clearly isn't as deep as AC. But it aims to simulate and does so with reasonable accuracy. Thus, it is a sim.

"Simcade" is merely a derogatory term, not even a genre, and whoever first coined it should apologize to the world.

Speaking of which, I should've read Tierney's comment since my opinion is basically his.

Last edited:
I don't care what someone else calls it; it won't stop me from playing it. Heck, I've been called everything but a human being, before. It hasn't stopped me from being a human being, though. And I don't care what someone calls me. All they are, are words from someone who doesn't matter.

Any of that "games" are simulation. ANYONE. All are games, some more complex otherones more simple. But all are games.
People confuse difficult with simulation

The Gran Turismo is much more similar to a IRacing or Assetto Corsa

Than Assetto Corsa and IRacing are to a real car life.

No one cares about the arcade/simulation debate except for annoying and pretentious iRacing/AC snobs, and people on the other end of the spectrum who get frustrated when a game asks for more than the bare minimum amount of attention. Please stop wasting your time worrying about these people for their minds were made up at the start of the conversation and nothing will change that.

Last edited:
Look at the format of daily race c and the fia races over the past 4 years, sure there are multipliers for fuel and tire wear but I don’t know how anyone could call that anything but sim racing.

Last edited:
I agree not sure when simcade word came into existence. It is probably true that the game is not good in a wheel compared to some PC sims but most players are on controller anyways so I am not sure you can discard it. Moreover a proper sim is something like RBR F1 sim not a PC sims anyways.

Even though it doesn't simulate plenty of variables which are considered necessary for it to be a "proper" sim, Gran Turismo franchise has much bigger boots to fill than rFactor, iRacing, ACC etc.

Main reason is the fact it's a console game which has to be fun and playable to a wide array of audiences ranging from casual living room gamers to serious sim racing fanatics. In that regard GT does it better than all the other sims, since apart from the game being an OK simulator - it also succeeds in being a fun game, which is the thing that sells copies, provides PD with employment and gets us new iterations and free updates to current game(s).

Therefore - it has to be a "simcade"/semi-sim/living room sim.

People confuse difficult with simulation
ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif

Back