United States
Boyne Falls, MI
GTP_Joey
GTP Joey
Offical Camaro Picture
Source: www.roadandtrack.com

162006144750.jpg

From www.roadandtrack.com

Muscle: That's the first word that comes to mind upon seeing Chevy's concept Camaro. Big-time muscle. Enough to possibly make Arnold think about switching allegiances within the GM family. Build it and they will come; drop the 500-plus-bhp Corvette Z06 engine into a Z28 version and name your price.

Andrew Bornhop, Editor, R&T Specials, provides the insightful commentary to the accompanying video. Among the numerous bits of info, Bornhop reports that the new Camaro could launch as a 2009 model. AARRGGHH! We can't wait that long! Mr. Lutz: Commit to a 2008 model launch and watch the buyers line up.

Look for a full report from Detroit Editor Matt DeLorenzo in the March 2006 issue of Road & Track.

VIDEO! http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=15&article_id=3124

Fuggin sweet! Ive been waiting four long years to see this car come back!

They nailed this one, easily. My father owns a '68 Chevrolet Camaro 327 Coupe, and I can definatley see a few pieces of all the cars on the concept.

Most noteably are the "gills" behind the door that came right off the 1969 Camaros. The grille is reminisent of the earlier '67 and '68 models, and the fog lights look like they came right off of the '69.

My only complaints:
1) Needs a pronounced B-pillar between the door and rear window... Just for classic looks...
2) Put an engine size badge on the cowl hood! Assuming they use the Vortec 5300 as the base engine, they could slap 327 badges there... Or of course, on the LS7, 427 badges just as easily as well...

Build it GM, build it! If you build it, I dont care how much it costs, I will buy one!

Base engine will be the LS2, 400hp. But I'm going to go out on a limb and say they will make a V6 verison with the 2.8L Northstar V6 and a SS version with a 427 in it.

The little video explains a little bit about the car, but not much.

I'll get a ton of pictures at the NAIAS.

Is this any different than the "leaked" photos posted a few weeks back? If not, silver does not do this car any justice! This looks awesome!

Ya there are a few differences, the mirrors, bumper, rear valance, there are some differences, not many but a few.

I just watched the video...

I thought the Zeta platform was all but canceled for US-spec cars (with the exception of the GTO)?

Either way, I love it... Ive been waiting too long for this damn thing!

If I were to line up engines:
1) 3.9L V6 240HP (from the Malibu SS, Impala LT, etc...)
2) Vortec 5300 V8 325HP (from the 2007 Tahoe LTZ)
3) 400HP LS2 (from the Corvette, GTO, CTS-V, SSR)
4) 505HP LS7 (from the Z06)

Cant time go any faster to get this car into production as a 2008 model?

The 3.9 is used for FWD appilcations, and while it could be switched over I don't think it would be logical to do so.

And actually I take that back about the 2.8L, the 3.6L with 255 hp @ 6,200 rpm/252 lb.-ft. at 3,100 rpm would be a better choice for the V6.

BlazinXtreme
And actually I take that back about the 2.8L, the 3.6L with 255 hp @ 6,200 rpm/252 lb.-ft. at 3,100 rpm would be a better choice for the V6.

If youre talking about the "High Feature" V6 available in the Buick LaCrosse and Cadillac CTS, I'm really not in favor of it... Not to say that it is a bad engine... But it is expensive, and realy doesnt offer the torque that would normally be attributed with a Camaro...

I suppose it would be an OK engine choise since I believe the Aussies are using what they call the "Alloytec" 3.6 V6 in the Commodore and Monaro, which I assume is the same engine... Maybe that means the 2008 or 2009 Camaro could chase down BMW 3-series coupes? How funny would THAT be?

YSSMAN
If youre talking about the "High Feature" V6 available in the Buick LaCrosse and Cadillac CTS, I'm really not in favor of it... Not to say that it is a bad engine... But it is expensive, and realy doesnt offer the torque that would normally be attributed with a Camaro...

I suppose it would be an OK engine choise since I believe the Aussies are using what they call the "Alloytec" 3.6 V6 in the Commodore and Monaro, which I assume is the same engine... Maybe that means the 2008 or 2009 Camaro could chase down BMW 3-series coupes? How funny would THAT be?

Well I'm guessing since the Zeta platform is sorta kinda-ish defuct that they might switch the Camaro production on to the Sigma platform which is close in size and everything. But you are right it is expensive. Possibly GM might revive the Zeta platfrom, not sure though.

And I can see what you are saying about the 3.6L, maybe GM will have a new V6 out by then and hopefully be putting it into a Soltice for kicks an giggles.

YSSMAN

The 200hp engine they had in before wasn't that powerful either.

Overall, it looks nice, the only thing they could change would be the grille.

Screw the OHC V6's as a base. I want the 3800seriesII supercharged as a base engine coupled to a close ratio 5speed.

Seriously, between the now-year-old Mustang, the new Challenger and this new Camaro, we have the makings of one helluva war. LS2, Hemi, 3valve Modular.

Seems like 1970 just hit us again.

Looks MILES better than that challenger POS.

WOW! Those tail lights are pure sex. I think they should change how far the headlights stick out from a side-view of the car, but otherwise, it's my favorite GM concept ever.

Go Tom Peters!

Tomgoestothemayor.jpg

ND4SPD
So, could this signal a return of the Firebird too?

Lets hope shall we, but I'm guessing it will just look like a big Soltice somehow, which may or may not be good. But I always loved the Firebird/Trans Am so a return would be awesome. I would even consider buying one if they went into production.

I like that, for a modern US muscle car thats spot on imo.

GM is finally making decent concepts, this should be a must build for them.

I think it really evokes memories of the legendary Camaros gone by, and that is exactly what should be done. Pontiac GTO looks nothing like the GTOs of old and nor does the Charger or Challenger.

Revheadnz
GM is finally making decent concepts, this should be a must build for them.

I think it really evokes memories of the legendary Camaros gone by, and that is exactly what should be done. Pontiac GTO looks nothing like the GTOs of old and nor does the Charger or Challenger.
Well, I don't know about that. The Challenger is about as original as the new Mustang is, in that it takes the old design and adds wider tires and plastic bumpers.

BlazinXtreme
Ya it looks like a Vette, but slightly better I must say.
I personally think it look a hell of a lot better, not that I think the C6 Vette looks bad, just this has hit the nail on the head styling wise for a US muscle car of the modern day.

I could see myself in one of them, looking cool cruising the streets of South Manchester, making a noise. But what are the chances of it ever being built rhd, probably none, be nice to see though. I'll have to pop into Bauer and Millet when they go on sale, they're among the first people to import new American muscle cars and sportscars ect.

I can't find the video. The link that Blazin gave just takes me to the R&T homepage. Is it (the video) still there?

Slicks
I can't find the video. The link that Blazin gave just takes me to the R&T homepage. Is it (the video) still there?

It's on the bottom-ish of the page.

Back