Daihatsu/Toyota safety test falsification

• Thread starter tankuroded
  • 6 comments
Here’s the summarised report by the independent third-party committee commissioned by Daihatsu.

TLDR: Daihatsu executives are to blame for implementing a shortened development cycle without considering the possible consequences and risks of a such a policy. This results in section heads of the crash test sites (under pressure from the tight deadlines) resorting to improperly modifying/adjusting test vehicles (to ensure they pass), making false statements in test reports and manipulating data in test reports to avoid missing deadlines.

While upper management was not involved in the falsification/manipulation, their policy has created a organisational culture of ‘Of course you can do it’ from superiors and a self-centered ‘As long as I get my work done, I don’t care about my coworkers’ work’ attitude.

Management’s lack of oversight over testing and the relative organisational isolation of testing work also contributed to the scandal.

Last edited:
Management’s lack of oversight over testing and the relative organisational isolation of testing work also contributed to the scandal.

Seems fair given your summary. But also fair is that workers should not compromise safety to meet a deadline. If your boss is asking you to put people at risk, it's time to leave.

Seems fair given your summary. But also fair is that workers should not compromise safety to meet a deadline. If your boss is asking you to put people at risk, it's time to leave.
Unfortunately that's usually nothing more than a protest move. It doesn't actually solve the problem. Most industries don't seem to have any legal protections for employees refusing tasks on safety or legal grounds.

Last edited:
It's a protest and it preserves your integrity, which is perhaps more important.
It should be more important. But without organized unions, how many people out there will risk their careers for integrity, especially en masse? How many would see one person quitting on principle and not think, "this is my chance for a promotion"? I'm not familiar with Japan's union culture but I do know people don't switch employment that often and their cultural integrity can drive them to fall into this trap as strongly as it can to leave it. In this case it seems like "honor and integrity" drove the whole group further into the trap. Speaking truth to power is terrifying and potentially self-destructive unless you've got legal protection.

Edit: Apparently Japan actually has a higher percentage of unionized workforce than the USA. I imagine that has shifted quite a lot over the past couple decades with the death of unions in America. But like in America, I imagine Japanese autoworkers at the engineering/management level are not unionized.

Last edited:
It should be more important. But without organized unions, how many people out there will risk their careers for integrity, especially en masse? How many would see one person quitting on principle and not think, "this is my chance for a promotion"? I'm not familiar with Japan's union culture but I do know people don't switch employment that often and their cultural integrity can drive them to fall into this trap as strongly as it can to leave it. In this case it seems like "honor and integrity" drove the whole group further into the trap. Speaking truth to power is terrifying and potentially self-destructive unless you've got legal protection.

Edit: Apparently Japan actually has a higher percentage of unionized workforce than the USA. I imagine that has shifted quite a lot over the past couple decades with the death of unions in America. But like in America, I imagine Japanese autoworkers at the engineering/management level are not unionized.

I do understand the conflict that arises when your employer does something stupid or immoral - especially if you're living on the edge financially. I'm not suggesting that one person quitting or finding another job and leaving the company would get noticed or would stop the behavior. I've seen people do it, and I think it had little effect. But the personal benefits are immense.

We call it "falling on your sword" like you're harming yourself by leaving that situation. But you're really demonstrating self-respect and setting yourself up better in the future. It can be a great personal benefit to leave that situation.

Back