Can't go back to GT6 after playing AC

• Thread starter digitalic
  • 316 comments
I just had a bash on GT6 again today after not playing it for a while (mostly playing AC over christmas). Have to say that it takes some getting used to, I was instantly disapointed by GT6. I drove a Celica GT-Four rally car at a road track. Much like other racing cars there was just no feel in the wheel whatsoever, it was completely sterile feeling as if even with not much FFB strength it was clipping 90% of the time. I couldn't place the car very well and the braking was a bit unpredictable... Altogether it felt like garbage to me.

So then I jumped into the Ferrari F40, stock on sports soft tyres. The road cars as always have a lot more detail in their FFB and you can feel everything.. An opposite to AC as in AC the road cars generally feel more lifeless and the racing cars give a lot of feedback. The F40 in GT6 was not in any way like the AC car. In GT6 the car has massive turn in grip at the front so much that the rear wheels can't handle it and almost instantly start sliding so the balance of the car is very oversteer biased. Along with that the car is extremely sensitive to small wheel movements, as if the steering rack on the car is set up to be super sensitive with small movements, completely different to how the car is in AC (the real car I believe has a 1080degrees lock to lock, so being so sensitive doesn't fit the profile).

Taking the car at Bathurst it was difficult to get it down the backstraight near the end of the lap and not spin off, as only tiny movements make the car move and the rear soon wants to slide when the fronts bite so aggressively, following that I sometimes overcorrected with only a tiny movement and it span off. I'm pretty sure I could adjust my driving to the car and improve it with setup but it felt completely wrong to me, with the front end having so much initial grip when you turn in it's almost like the rear tyres never get a chance.

I then thought... I don't remember GT6 being this bad/funky. Jumped into the 91 Acura NSX that I'd driven a lot (won over 30 races using it) and then took that to Bathurst. This car was just as awesome as I remember it, well balanced and agile with no unpredictable behaviour, I was able to really attack the course and could feel everything through the wheel.

Safe to say that GT6 can be a bit "funky" with certain cars and situations. For me it does well at a certain few select road cars and pretty much everything else "meh" take it as it comes. When I've been playing so much AC lately it really is hard to adjust and find enjoyment in GT6 at the moment, I probably need to take a break from sim racing for a week or so that my senses/expectations have a bit of a reset before I have a serious bash at playing GT6 again.

I haven't played AC, but definitely hearing really good things about it.

As far as the real-life F40 is concerned (friend of a friend used to own one), it has a very nice balance of over/understeer, and it definitely does not have massive turn in grip, or the tail giving out as a result. In fact, it takes a little bit of fooling around to get the tail out with that massive rear wing and ultra wide and grippy rear tyres.

Yep, GT6 seems to have some serious issues with weight transfer effects on many cars. Often ones that have about 50% or more weight in the back. Feels a bit like the effects on weight transfer are happening in 1.5x or 2x speed, causing odd stuff to happen.

Add to that some weird tyre behaviour over the limit and the horriffic tyre sounds.

Without those issues I'd happily drive it now and then.

This is so true... I've been playing Assetto Corsa for about 5 months now, and when I get a chance to play GT6, it just feels much too incomplete and arcady at times. Of course, it's still got enough to keep me interested, but not to use as a tool to help me be a better driver. Now... if Assetto Corsa added the Caterham R500... :D

Me too I'm planning on moving over to PC gaming, so much more choice when it comes to racing simulators, xbox one and ps4 have 1 game each. PS3 will be my last sony console.
Probably last console ever after you experience what pc gaming has to offer. The only thing i do miss is madden and nhl.

Gotta say, I am truly the laziest of all lazy asses on the planet. I'm the owner of a G27 and haven't used it in nearly 3 whole years, instead when I play on either the PS3 or PC, I sit back, relax, get intoxicated and play everything with a controller.

Even playing AC with a controller feels so good, and the game gives you a fantastic sense of how much grip the tires have, when they're at their limit and what the car is doing, and everything else that's going on just by visual, audiable and rumble motion inputs. The game's managed to interest my lazy ass enough to finally look into buying something sturdy to mount my G27 on to, move my whole room around to accomodate it and really get into this sim.

A big thumbs up to the developers from me, they have made a fantastic achievement with such a small team and budget, it really makes me wonder what went wrong with PD.

Last edited:
Gotta say, I am truly the laziest of all lazy asses on the planet. I'm the owner of a G27 and haven't used it in nearly 3 whole years, instead when I play on either the PS3 or PC, I sit back, relax, get intoxicated and play everything with a controller.

Even playing AC with a controller feels so good, and the game gives you a fantastic sense of how much grip the tires have, when they're at their limit and what the car is doing, and everything else that's going on just by visual, audiable and rumble motion inputs. The game's managed to interest my lazy ass enough to finally look into buying something sturdy to mount my G27 on to, move my whole room around to accomodate it and really get into this sim.

A big thumbs up to the developers from me, they have made a fantastic achievement with such a small team and budget, it really makes me wonder what went wrong with PD.

I hope AC is not like console racers were the controller gets better times than with a wheel.

Can you make a long answer? ;)
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees, it's reeeeeeeeeeeeeeally that gooooooooooooooooood! :D If you're into incredible physics and force feedback, that is. ;)

GT6 still has it's use. Hot-lapping Nordschleife in a V12 Vantage or Nissan GT-R 07 is still a blast.
Or hot-lapping Bathurst in the Audi R8 LMS ultra. Even though it's tail happy I found it highly entertaining. :)

Man I look forward to Nordschleife in AC. Imagine taking one of the new Nissans or the Z4 GT3 around that track. :drool:

Does it matter what kind of controller you use? I say this because I also use my TV remote to play AC and if I want to get to the top of any leaderboard, I just input the lap time I want using the number pad. I sure as hell wouldn't be able to get any of those times using my wheel. So yes, in my case AC is faster with a [remote]controller.

I can't go back to playing GT6, haven't touched it since New Years, the only thing that could get me to fire it up again would be the community and course make updates, and that would be just to check them out. The game is 100.768% garbage. I'll pick up a PS4 for pCars, but I really don't care for anything PD related. Only thing missing from AC right now is MP, once that gets added I'll be sinking some serious time into it.

A good pad player can destroy equally competent wheel users with equipment costs that go well into the 4 figure sum. With the appropriate stick calibration and optimized car setup, a controller will allow the player to completely negate oversteer in mere fractions of a second.

A good pad player can destroy equally competent wheel users with equipment costs that go well into the 4 figure sum. With the appropriate stick calibration and optimized car setup, a controller will allow the player to completely negate oversteer in mere fractions of a second.
When the game is designed for pad users, yes.

AC was built with wheel users at the forefront. There are very very few pad users who can outrace me or any good wheel racer. If you look at the RSR live timing boards, there is only one pad user who puts up respectable times. The rest are significantly off the pace.

Back