"Car of the Month November" - Maserati Gran Turismo S

Review, @shaunm80 550pp Non full aero version:

I built this tune and went to Nurb GP/D, was expected a fun and welll planted tune and what I got was surprising. The car felt off for a tune by Shaun, rear end liked to jump sideways on exit and spin the wheels. Entry was ok but could slide the rear, catching it seemed to bring out some understeer and the brakes were....well, not so great either. Hmmm....., something is not right. One thing I have learned about Shaun's tunes is that they are always easy to drive and feel well planted. Normally like them as much or more than my own if I am totally honest, so I had to find out if he finally laid an egg or did I mess up the settings?
So I exited and changed tracks as well since turn 1 at GP/D and I rarely see eye to eye. So I headed for Apricot Hill, a track that brings out the worst in even a good tune as it will show understeer other tracks will not. Double checked the settings and found the problem, ballast position:dunce:. Must have had a slight brain cramp as I set it to +50 instead of the listed -50. Well that will change things quite a bit I would think, and it made a ton of difference. May not seem like much weight, but this car already has enough to the rear. Gone is the exit rear swing and wheel spin, better planted thru mid corner and no longer fighting the rear weight on entry. Much more like what I would expect out of Shaun, much more enjoyable. Two things I did notice however, 1 - the brakes did not like late heavy braking. Normally, my style is more finesse, half braking power just to slow the car down and keep it pointed where I want. As long as I drove it that way, there was no problem. If I tried push too hard and brake later, the nose would push and refuse to turn. Again, easily manageable and avoided.
2 - the car felt just a bit underpowered, slower than I would expect, not bad but perhaps it was just me or the exhaust note. Loaded up my 550pp tune and compared, different exhaust note and did feel a bit faster. Best lap of 5 with shaun's - 1:25.230, best lap of only 2 in mine - 1:24.346. I am sure Shaun would prefer his, I would mine, either way you should find a surprisingly enjoyable ride. Try them both and you decide. :D
Thats a fair review of the non-aero version. It is a little underpowered but I went for a insane setup on this car to try out new techniques for FITT tunes. I have learnt that being too safe doesn't win FITT categories and I had so many variations of the Maserati tune, I thought "why the hell not make a lunatic version of it".

This was my first foray into the world of not as stable as my normal tunes. Your time is still very good in it though! On the late braking.. erm, yes... Well this car again, experimental brakes where you go on them a little earlier and lift off when you get the corner, when you hit the throttle, the balance of the speed carried along with the slightly loose rear end was meant to be a turning aid.. Im not sure it worked as it should but it was my attempt at improving FITT entries. Hence why my Tuscan felt like it was skating a lot of time.. I tried the same technique on that which seemed to work out quite well.

Thats a fair review of the non-aero version. It is a little underpowered but I went for a insane setup on this car to try out new techniques for FITT tunes. I have learnt that being too safe doesn't win FITT categories and I had so many variations of the Maserati tune, I thought "why the hell not make a lunatic version of it".

This was my first foray into the world of not as stable as my normal tunes. Your time is still very good in it though! On the late braking.. erm, yes... Well this car again, experimental brakes where you go on them a little earlier and lift off when you get the corner, when you hit the throttle, the balance of the speed carried along with the slightly loose rear end was meant to be a turning aid.. Im not sure it worked as it should but it was my attempt at improving FITT entries. Hence why my Tuscan felt like it was skating a lot of time.. I tried the same technique on that which seemed to work out quite well.
A little different than what I normally get from you, but really good tune and fun to drive. To be honest, I believe mine had 17 more horse power, enough to feel down the long front straight. Handling wise, yours was better on exit:dunce: and the first turn.:D

A little different than what I normally get from you, but really good tune and fun to drive. To be honest, I believe mine had 17 more horse power, enough to feel down the long front straight. Handling wise, yours was better on exit:dunce: and the first turn.:D
For the next car of the month, I shall revert back to my normal way of tuning. Or maybe a bit of a hybrid of both perhaps.. Could be an interesting concept :)

@brian wolf

Maserati Gran Turismo S - SH - 518PP

A first for me trying one of your tunings, take what you need and throw the rest out.

Tsukuba:
The hardest thing I found was that it was hard to find the right throttle level in the mid and exit of curves, either I was to fast or to slow, just couldn’t get the DS3 to go at the level I wanted, so I generally let it coast out to have a safe exit. Maybe it’s getting time for me to learn how to drive manually. The car has a good balance but their is some body roll out of curves, apart from that nice job.

Deep Forest:
Now I read your intro to your garage opening ( congratulations and welcome to the crazy :crazy: club of tuners), and you state that you made these tunings to have a less over the edge drive (relax? :confused::confused::confused:), well compared to most of the tunings here your still way over the edge, but hey, that’s not a bad thing at all. It resembles a little the tune I posted, you can’t daydream (at least not on this track) while driving here. Since there are no real slow curves I had no trouble with out off curves acceleration, yes there are some flaws, hit a bump the wrong way and your mowing the lawn, give full gas out of the forest and you’ll be giving one more kiss to the rock wall (it’s kissed so many cars I think it wouldn’t be hygienic to go there), you do lose contact with the road at a few points on the track, but, you do feel free with it. I love cars with good traction, they give you the feel of invincibility but they do have a price; Freedom and Speed. I also love cars that give you this freedom but they also come with a price; uneven lap times and wipeouts (unless your an alien of course, are you?:nervous:), I had a blast with it here, just lost my concentration after doing my best time on lap 7 and more or less (more) screwed up my last 5 laps. So I’m calling quits for tonight and will do SSR5 tomorrow.

Special Stage Route 5
Dr.Jekyll and Mr.Hyde, of course you’ve heard of them, last night on Deep Forest I was with Dr.Jekyll and tonight I put the keys, start driving and suddenly I find out I’m with Mr.Hyde. I think it was more that it didn’t react as I expected it to on this track, I thought I would just peel down the track burn a little rubber while control skidding through some of the curves and leave the track after 12 laps fully “relaxed” after a hard days work. It wasn’t like that, you have to stay awake, prepare for sharp curves, accelerate linearly out of curves, you have to pilot the car and not drive it. It took me 7 laps before I finally did a decent lap, dropped .500 sec. from laps 8 to 12, enjoyed those last 5 laps 👍. I found it had a very floaty feeling and wished the brakes would have been a little more powerful, for me that is.

Summary
It wasn’t what I expected, but cool :cool: surprise it was. I hope you will keep building tunings in the future and that people will discover the joy of driving your cars 👍. Maybe you could once in a while plug back your old PS3 Controller and try it just to see how those users perceive it.

I’ve done this with all the tuners before on this thread, some have answered the call others not, so feel free and do what makes you happy.

CRITIC’S CHALLENGE

Rules:
1- I choose the track, conditions, and time trial regulations.
2- Tuner and reviewer use the reviewed car for the time trial.
3- Times are posted by each of the drivers, there is a gentleman’s agreement that each person will put down the true time.
4- You must have fun doing this, this is not an option.

CHALLENGE #6 Luxury Karting (brian wolf vs TurnLeft)

1- Track: Gran Turismo Arena Layout A
2- Car tuned as is with Sport Hard Tires.
3- Course Settings: No change.
4- ABS1., all else off. (But you can use ABS0 if you want :rolleyes:, really you can :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:.)
5- 5 laps, best time wins. Laps invalid don’t count. Good Luck.

TurnLeft’s super lap time is 0:31.391 ( I screwed up on my best lap, got over zealous and skidded on the last straightaway :dunce:. I'm sure i could have had 0:31.100)

Advice: Fast in, slow out,
You know you don’t have to try hard of course, @shaunm80 and @Bowtie-muscle were perfect gentleman, they let me win, as for @Ridox2JZGTE, :mad::banghead: :mad::ouch::mad::embarrassed::mad::yuck::mad::scared::mad::grumpy::mad:, just you wait, one day...:drool:....:lol:

@brian wolf

Maserati Gran Turismo S - SH - 518PP

A first for me trying one of your tunings, take what you need and throw the rest out.

Tsukuba:
The hardest thing I found was that it was hard to find the right throttle level in the mid and exit of curves, either I was to fast or to slow, just couldn’t get the DS3 to go at the level I wanted, so I generally let it coast out to have a safe exit. Maybe it’s getting time for me to learn how to drive manually. The car has a good balance but their is some body roll out of curves, apart from that nice job.

Deep Forest:
Now I read your intro to your garage opening ( congratulations and welcome to the crazy :crazy: club of tuners), and you state that you made these tunings to have a less over the edge drive (relax? :confused::confused::confused:), well compared to most of the tunings here your still way over the edge, but hey, that’s not a bad thing at all. It resembles a little the tune I posted, you can’t daydream (at least not on this track) while driving here. Since there are no real slow curves I had no trouble with out off curves acceleration, yes there are some flaws, hit a bump the wrong way and your mowing the lawn, give full gas out of the forest and you’ll be giving one more kiss to the rock wall (it’s kissed so many cars I think it wouldn’t be hygienic to go there), you do lose contact with the road at a few points on the track, but, you do feel free with it. I love cars with good traction, they give you the feel of invincibility but they do have a price; Freedom and Speed. I also love cars that give you this freedom but they also come with a price; uneven lap times and wipeouts (unless your an alien of course, are you?:nervous:), I had a blast with it here, just lost my concentration after doing my best time on lap 7 and more or less (more) screwed up my last 5 laps. So I’m calling quits for tonight and will do SSR5 tomorrow.

Special Stage Route 5
Dr.Jekyll and Mr.Hyde, of course you’ve heard of them, last night on Deep Forest I was with Dr.Jekyll and tonight I put the keys, start driving and suddenly I find out I’m with Mr.Hyde. I think it was more that it didn’t react as I expected it to on this track, I thought I would just peel down the track burn a little rubber while control skidding through some of the curves and leave the track after 12 laps fully “relaxed” after a hard days work. It wasn’t like that, you have to stay awake, prepare for sharp curves, accelerate linearly out of curves, you have to pilot the car and not drive it. It took me 7 laps before I finally did a decent lap, dropped .500 sec. from laps 8 to 12, enjoyed those last 5 laps 👍. I found it had a very floaty feeling and wished the brakes would have been a little more powerful, for me that is.

Summary
It wasn’t what I expected, but cool :cool: surprise it was. I hope you will keep building tunings in the future and that people will discover the joy of driving your cars 👍. Maybe you could once in a while plug back your old PS3 Controller and try it just to see how those users perceive it.

I’ve done this with all the tuners before on this thread, some have answered the call others not, so feel free and do what makes you happy.

CRITIC’S CHALLENGE

Rules:
1- I choose the track, conditions, and time trial regulations.
2- Tuner and reviewer use the reviewed car for the time trial.
3- Times are posted by each of the drivers, there is a gentleman’s agreement that each person will put down the true time.
4- You must have fun doing this, this is not an option.

CHALLENGE #6 Luxury Karting (brian wolf vs TurnLeft)

1- Track: Gran Turismo Arena Layout A
2- Car tuned as is with Sport Hard Tires.
3- Course Settings: No change.
4- ABS1., all else off. (But you can use ABS0 if you want :rolleyes:, really you can :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:.)
5- 5 laps, best time wins. Laps invalid don’t count. Good Luck.

TurnLeft’s super lap time is 0:31.391 ( I screwed up on my best lap, got over zealous and skidded on the last straightaway :dunce:. I'm sure i could have had 0:31.100)

Advice: Fast in, slow out,
You know you don’t have to try hard of course, @shaunm80 and @Bowtie-muscle were perfect gentleman, they let me win, as for @Ridox2JZGTE, :mad::banghead: :mad::ouch::mad::embarrassed::mad::yuck::mad::scared::mad::grumpy::mad:, just you wait, one day...:drool:....:lol:
Thank you for putting in the time to review my tune. 👍 I`m certainly no alien and use both DS3 and DFGT. My tunes are to make grinding the seasonal races more fun and as such are not the fastest or well behaved, but they always make me smile! I will certainly take you up on your challenge! :cheers:

@TurnLeft

You win! I only managed a 31.605 in 5 laps. Lap 6 was a 31.378 and lap 7 was a 30.772! :banghead: I should have done a longer warm up. I thought a 4 lap race at Brands Hatch was long enough! :dunce:

:cheers:

edit : sorry for double post
phew :rolleyes:, good thing I mentioned 5 laps, I don't think I could have done 30.775 , now that was a good lap, nice of you participating and letting me win :bowdown:. I could just imagine having a 12 car race there, that would be a blast, and probably end up being a roller derby :lol:. :cheers:

oops, forgot to put this in the review.
Picture 1.png

Last edited:
Back