**CAR OF THE WEEK! Friday 2/08/12**

McClarenDesign

Insightful, but bollocks.
Premium
United States
Norman, OK
McClarenDesign
Announcing the 26th installment of the Car of the Week series.

A chance for everyone on GTPlanet to get behind the wheel of the same car and give it a thorough going over. The aim is to get people driving what they wouldn't usually drive, or cars that may have been overlooked. They may be great, they may be terrible, but as part of GT5 they deserve discussion right here.

People can show off their amazing photos, trade tuning tips, race one another and review that weeks nominated car. Lap times can be posted, top speeds and acceleration times compared and tips on handling discussed.

We are starting to develop a brilliant bunch of regular contributors but I very much encourage everyone to get involved and have their say. Every week (almost!) a poster will be picked for their contribution in that weeks thread to pick the star car for the following week. Ask anyone that has so far been chosen to pick and I am sure they will tell you what an honor it is! So get involved and it could be you!

Car of the Week - What do YOU think of the car?

So, without further ado, this weeks star car of the week.

This week marks our 6 month anniversary for Car of the Week. As such, we've got a treat in store for you. This week's car isn't a car, but a person. Although I'm sure we're all sick of eulogies, we do need to pay homage to those that created the cars we love so much.

This week, it's just an excuse to party with a bunch of celebrities.

The Pininfarina Cars

127.445.1341334072.02-recitymagazine_Ferrari612P45_1.jpg

Image Source

Sergio Pininfarina (9/8/26 - 7/2/12)

The List
1992 Ferrari F40
1998 Peugeot coupé 406 3.0 V6
2002 Ferrari Enzo Ferrari
2006 Alfa Romeo Brera Sky Window 3.2 JTS Q4
2006 Ferrari F430
2006 Ferrari 599 '06
2008 Ferrari California
2008 Maserati GranTurismo S
2009 Ferrari 458 Italia

Previously:
Week 1: 2001 Alfa Romeo Spider 3.0i V6 24V
Week 2: 1966 Alfa Romeo Spider 1600 Duetto

Let me know if I've missed anything, and I'll update the OP. Please also visit the Sergio Pininfarina Tribute thread in the Photomode Section.

Last edited:
👍👍 McClaren, I don't mind paying my respects. This man gave the world lots to look at, so why not remember?

Have a good one

Baron Blitz Red
👍👍 McClaren, I don't mind paying my respects. This man gave the world lots to look at, so why not remember?

Have a good one

I know this thread is for cars we don't normally drive, but I figured that this would be a nice break.

GranTurismo916
They did the roof structure of the MG TF and MG F :P

But that doesn't count, does it?

I don't do McClarenDesign's Very Serious SLS AMG Review of the Roof of the Week N Stuff.

-McClarenDesign's-

Very Serious SLS AMG Review of the Car of the Week N Stuff

"The client is not always right." -Enzo Ferrari

Week 26: The Pininfarina Cars

Work In Progress!​

Performance as Purchased: November 28, 2010, Rosso Corsa (Red)
Displacement: 2,936 cc
Max. Power: 457 hp @ 7,000 rpm
Max. Torque: 412 ft-lbs. @ 4,000 rpm
Drivetrain: MR
Length: 4,430 mm Height: 1,130 mm Weight: 1352 kg
Tires: Sports (Hard)
Performance Points: 522
Mileage: 0.0 mi.

AutodromoNazionaleMonza-3.jpg

Performance as Purchased: June 8, 2011, Beige Solstice (Brown)
Displacement: 2,946 cc
Max. Power: 191 hp @ 6,000 rpm
Max. Torque: 197 ft-lbs. @ 3,500 rpm
Drivetrain: FF
Length: 4,620 mm Height: 1,360 mm Weight: 1560 kg
Tires: Comfort (Soft)
Performance Points: 381
Mileage: 35,526.8 mi.

SanGalganoAbbey.jpg

Performance as Purchased: November 24, 2011, Blu Montecarlo (Blue)
Displacement: 3,195 cc
Max. Power: 248 hp @ 6,000 rpm
Max. Torque: 230 ft-lbs. @ 4,500 rpm
Drivetrain: 4WD
Length: 4,415 mm Height: 1,380 mm Weight: 1750 kg
Tires: Comfort (Soft)
Performance Points: 404

Kyoto-Shoren-in-5.jpg

Performance as Purchased: April 7, 2011, Rosso Monza (Red)
Displacement: 4,308 cc
Max. Power: 480 hp @ 9,000 rpm
Max. Torque: 332 ft-lbs. @ 5,500 rpm
Length: 4,512 mm Height: 1,214 mm Weight: 1450 kg
Performance Points: 535

599Siena-PiazzadelCampo.jpg

Performance as Purchased: February 15, 2011, Rosso Scuderia (Red)
Displacement: 5,999 cc
Max. Power: 595 hp @ 7,500 rpm
Max. Torque: 434 ft-lbs. @ 5,500 rpm
Drivetrain: FR
Length: 4,665 mm Height: 1,336 mm Weight: 1580 kg
Performance Points: 541
Mileage: 2.3 mi.

SpecialStageRouteX-17.jpg

Performance as Purchased: November 28, 2010, Giallo Modena (Yellow)
Displacement: 4,279 cc
Max. Power: 442 hp @ 7,500 rpm
Max. Torque: 345 ft-lbs. @ 5,500 rpm
Length: 4,563 mm Height: 1,308 mm Weight: 1630 kg
Performance Points: 518
Mileage: 25.8 mi.

Maserati.jpg

Performance as Purchased: November 27, 2010, Bianco Eldorado (White)
Displacement: 4,691 cc
Max. Power: 426 hp @ 7,000 rpm
Max. Torque: 350 ft-lbs. @ 5,000 rpm
Length: 4,881 mm Height: 1,353 mm Weight: 1780 kg
Performance Points: 485

AutodromoNazionaleMonza_1.jpg

Performance as Purchased: November 28, 2010, Rosso Scuderia (Red)
Displacement: 4,499 cc
Max. Power: 546 hp @ 9,000 rpm
Max. Torque: 386 ft-lbs. @ 6,000 rpm
Length: 4,527 mm Height: 1,213 mm Weight: 1485 kg
Performance Points: 553

Week 1: 2001 Alfa Romeo Spider 3.0i V6 24V

Week 2: 1966 Alfa Romeo Spider 1600 Duetto
Week 3: 2000 Toyota Sprinter Trueno GT-APEX (S. Shigeno Ver.)
Week 4: 2007 Audi TT Coupe 3.2 Quattro
Week 5: 1983 Nissan Silvia 240RS (S110) and 1985 Nissan 240RS Rally Car
Week 6: 1973 BMW 2002 Turbo
Week 7: 2004 DMC DeLorean S2
Week 8: 1971 Nissan Fairlady 240ZG (HS30) and 1971 Nissan 240ZG (HS30)
Week 9: 1985 Lancia Delta S4 Rally Car
Week 10: 1991 Mercedes-Benz 190 E 2.5- 16 Evolution II and 1992 AMG Mercedes-Benz 190 E 2.5- 16 Evolution II Touring Car
Week 11: 1999 Lotus Motor Sport Elise and 1996 Lotus Elise and 1998 Lotus Elise Sport 190
Week 12: 2001 Audi RS4
Week 13: 1968 Isuzu 117 Coupe
Week 14: 1969 Camaro Z28 and 1969 Camaro Z28 RM and 1969 Camaro SS
Week 15: The Shelby Cars
Week 16: 1979 Honda Civic 1500 3door CX
Week 17: 1967 Mercury Cougar XR-7
Week 18: 1967 Prince Skyline 2000GT-B
Week 19: 1967 Toyota 2000GT
Week 20: 2002 Audi S3
Week 21: 2004 Oullim Motors Spirra 4.6 V8
Week 22: 1988 Toyota SUPRA 3.0GT Turbo A and 1990 Toyota SUPRA 2.5GT Twin Turbo R
Week 23: 1998 Mini Cooper 1.3i
Week 24: 1964 Ginetta G4
Week 25: The TVR Cars

*The views and opinions expressed in this editorial do not reflect the views and opinions of gtplanet.net, any of its members, nor anyone with an IQ above 3. All views, comments, statements, accusations, claims, data... you know what, just forget you read the whole thing and direct your hate mail/Tame Racing Driver applications, to McClarenDesign@gmail.com. For ticket information, please include a S.A.S.E. NOT FIT FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION. The statements made above are similar to your parents; both are fictional. May cause rash or skin irritation. :gtplanet: This ad paid for by Friends of Global Morals support for presidential candidate Jenkins. :gtpflag: GTKitty4Prez :gtpflag:. Please consult doctor before use. Some assembly required. Wardrobe provided courtesy of Dirk Bikkembergs. McClarenDesign registered very serious SLS AMG. DO NOT ATTEMPT. Consult manual before use. Your mileage may vary. Some restrictions may apply. Parental supervision is advised. Offer valid with approved credit. All trademarks and copyrights used without permission, because this is a parody and an act of free speech. Reviews may contain natural and artificial flavoring. Please rinse after use. This product is not guaranteed to cure baldness or any other medical condition. All stunts performed on public roads without law enforcement supervision. Void where prohibited. All terms and conditions are subject to late fees and penalties. All your base are belong to us. See store for details. If not entirely satisfied, please return unused portion for a partial refund. Sorry, no C.O.D.s accepted. Offer not valid to those that breathe air. Photos shown with optional equipment. If you've made it this far, it's too late to stop now. May cause drowsiness. Check your local listings for times and dates. Some portions of this show have been filmed before a live studio audience. Certain state laws do not allow limitations on implied warranties or the exclusion or limitation of certain damages. By blinking, you agree to all terms and conditions contained within. + us on Google+ N Stuff! McClarenDesign is not an Equal Opportunity Employer.

Ed. Note- R.I.P. Sergio Pininfarina (9/8/26 - 7/2/12)
Best wishes and a Godspeed recovery to: Maria De Villota and TurismoM.G!.

Last edited:
I do to, but thankfully Fernando Alonso isn't in the game.

I second that. He's the F1 version of Jorge Lorenzo. Great driver, but a crap personality.

Oh, and I also have info on the Ferrari F40, Ferrari Enzo, Ferrari California and Maserati GranTurismo S, which I will post soon. :D

Last edited:
My TVR review is finally done, if you've got a year to spare. In other news, the following information does not include the Pininfarina cars of this week, but is interesting nonetheless. Enjoy.

P.S. iainn- how's that for a Nerd?!

McClarenDesign.png

iainn
Top quality my man. Top quality nerding.

I aim to please. Numbers weren't as bad as I thought. I'm gonna play around with it and see if I can get the compiled data on my Google Docs.

Without further ado, here's some history on the legendary Ferrari F40. History lessons on the Ferrari Enzo, Ferrari California and Maserati GranTurismo S coming soon!

KIND NOTE: It sounds a lot better if you read it in Jeremy Clarkson's voice. But then again, what doesn't? :sly:

Ferrari F40

Ferrari-F40-1987.jpg

"I asked my engineers to build me the best car in the world. And now it is here." That is how Enzo Ferrari introduced the F40 model, the car launched to celebrate Ferrari's 40th anniversary in 1988. This was a truly special Ferrari, not least because it was the very last launched before the death, that same year, of the company's founder, Enzo himself. It was the very epitome of the 1980s supercar: it's styling was aggresive and raw, it's performance was head-and-shoulders above any other car of it's time, and it's handling was so good that only a truly skilled racing driver could extract the very maximum from it's awesome potential.

The F40, designed like so many Ferraris by Pininfarina, was not beautiful, yet it looked so right. It certainly wasn't comfortable, yet none of it's owners complained about that. And it wasn't paticularly sophisticated in it's engineering, yet it's performance was all that really mattered. A top speed of 202mph/325kmh was truly special back in 1988. The F40 was built just like a racing car, yet Ferrari never originally built it to race. However, it did provide assistance to privateers who wanted to extract the ultimate performance on the track - and some modified race cars eventually pushed out as much as 700bhp.

1987-ferrari-f40-7.jpg

It's suspension closely followed contemporary racing car design, with double wishbones front and rear, coil springs and dampers with anti-roll bars front and rear. Ventilated discs were standard to ensure adequate braking, which was important, because the F40's performance was truly stunning for it's day. It was entirely possible, in dry conditions, to spin the wheels when accelerating in first, second and third gears and, despite the massive tyres (335/35 ZR17 at the rear and 245/40 ZR17 at the front, just in case you were wondering), it took a highly skilled driver to balance the massive power delivery with the available grip.

That power came from an engine that was not directly linked to the current Ferrari F1 powerplant, but it was a V8 instead of the usual Ferrari high-revving V12. The F40's V8 was a twin-turbo, twin-turbocharged double overhead cam design that pushed 478bhp through a five-speed manual transmission to the rear wheels. It achieved 0-60 in a tyre-shredding 3.8 seconds, amd 0-100 took just 8.2 seconds. It's not certain whether the magic 200mph/322kmh figure was ever actually achievable, but what was important at the time was that Ferrari claimed it for the F40.

val-de-vienne-ferrari-f40-rear.jpg

Like the 288 GTO, to which the F40 was the spiritual successor, it had a tubular-steel chassis. But unlike the 288, the F40 made extensive use of Kevlar and carbon-fibre composites on the floorpan, fascia and bulkhead. In addition, its body panels were composed of composite materials, its side windows and rear screen were made of plexiglass, and even the seats were made from carbon fibre, all to save weight.

There were few concessions to creature comforts in the cockpit either. There were no carpets, no stereo, and not even any interior panelling - the doors and other panels were simply exposed carbon fibre. The one item that was included was air conditioning, but only because the Middle East was an important part of the market for Ferrari and they realised that this really was essential there.

When they first announced the F40, Ferrari said it would produce just 400. But faced with an order bank that exceeded 3000, the production line was kept rolling, and in the end, more than 1300 example were produced between 1988 and 1991. Even today, the F40 still looks fresh. It was concieved as an uncompromising sports car, one that would offer levels of performance previously unheard of in a road car. It was, and remains, a classic Ferrari, and it stands as a homage to the man to created it: the 'Old Man' himself, Enzo Ferrari.

F40-2_2138083b.jpg

R.I.P. Sergio Pininfarina
1926 - 2012

Now it's time for a history lesson on the Enzo! :D I'll hopefully be able to post the California and GranTursimo S tonight.

If only history lessons were really this good...

Ferrari Enzo

ferrari-enzo-doors-open-front-track.jpg

Back in 1998, Ferrari boss Luca Cordero di Montezemolo had a big problem on his hands. The company had a history of producing supercars that set new standards. This started with the 250L in 1963, a road-legal racecar that became Ferrari's first supercar. Next came the GTO, launched in 1984 to massive critical acclaim, then the F40 in 1987 and the F50 in 1995. The company now had to come up with a successor to the fabulous F50, yet how were they going to create something even better than the supercar that had been designed to celebrate Ferrari's 50th birthday?

Montezemolo gave his engineers and the designers at Pininfarina three orders: make the car 'really impressive', employ the most radical technologies, and give it a clear association with the F1 racecars, which at the time were all conquering. Apparently, more than 20 proposals were considered, but the one that was ultimately chosen - and that became the Ferrari Enzo - was an aggressive silhouette with a nose resembling that of an F1 car and a body shape that was determined more by aerodynamic needs than by aesthetics. In short, the Enzo was never meant to look beautiful, just purposeful.

Red-Ferrari-Enzo.jpg

A brand-new V12 engine was commissioned, a 5998cc unit producing 660bhp. Like Ferrari's F1 engine, it had a variable length induction system and continuously variable exhaust valve timing - a first for Ferrari. The engine and six-speed gearbox was bolted to the rear of the car's carbon-fibre tub.

Now came the 'radical technologies'. With the Enzo, Ferrari became the world's first manufacturer to integrate all the car's electronic control systems so that they could instantly communicate with each other and allow the central 'brain' to choose the optimum settings in all road conditions.

This connected the suspension (which had adaptive dampers that could be adjusted to provide more comfort or more body control, just in case you were wondering) with the engine, transmission, traction control, ABS, aerodynamics and even the brakes. The brakes were carbon fibre, which produces immense stopping power. As in an F1 car, the driver could adjust the brake balance between front and rear.

Ferrari-Enzo-Eco.jpg

The carbon-fibre bodywork was designed to optimise the car's aerodynamic performance. That's why it has a long front overhang and why, under the floor, there's a sophisticated venturi arrangement that speeds up the airflow, thereby increasing the downforce. It's so effective that at speeds over 180mph/290kmh, the downforce is more than 1764lb/800kg. The resulting appearance is far from elegant, but it works.

The Enzo's 0-60 acceleration is a tyre-shredding 3.6 seconds, it can achieve 0-125 in 9.5 seconds and it has a maxiumum speed of 217mph/350kmh. Like the F1, the Enzo has a 'Launch Control' incorporated into the transmission, which provides the fastest possible start by dropping the clutch at the optimum engine speed.

Ferrari-Enzo-033.jpg

Ferrari had originally planned to produce just 349 Enzos, at a list price of £450,000 ($700,000 US), but because of demand from existing F40 and F50 customers, this number was upped to 399. Later, one more car was built, numbered 400, and was auctioned for nearly twice the list price, for the benefit of survivors of the 2004 Tsunami in Southeast Asia.

Launched in 2002 at the Paris Motor Show, the Enzo would inevitably be compared with two other supercars introduced at about the same time: the Porsche Carrera GT and the Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren. It's possible to argue about which is the best-looking, the most practical or even the best all-rounder. But there was no doubt that the Ferrari Enzo was the most technically advanced vehicle in the world.

ferrari-enzo-spyder.jpg

Another week with too much to choose from! Only right we should celebrate some of the beautiful Pininfarina cars though.

I decided not to try and do them all, so this is a selection of ones that might not get so much coverage amongst the Enzos and F40s.

First up was the Alfa Brera sporting 261bhp after an oil change. I also went for some bright yellow paint (Alfa's own of course).

Here's what happens when you brake too late on Comfort Soft tyres...

It's a nice looking car this but to drive? It's a bit.... bland? Meh? Not fun enough. Lap time round Monza was a slow 2:26.803.

On to the Ferrari 599 then for some powwaaahhhhh. probably the best looking of the Ferraris this, and with 624bhp after some new oil it has more than enough to make driving without care a bit risky.

In fact I spent a lot of time in the sand round Monza in the 599 and only recorded a time of 2:07.108 on the stock SH tyres. I'm sure plenty will get well under 2 mins as this is very quick if you can manage the throttle control and braking early enough.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Another Ferrari then, one with a bit less power which might be easier for poor drivers like me.

The California is certainly a great looking convertible and has 462bhp to power it round the track.

Lap time was 2:08.302 and it can definitely go a lot faster.

It certainly looks great in the photo travel locations.

Cheers

Time to write up the last two history lessons before the new car tomorrow!

Ferrari California

Ferrari-California-3.jpeg

Launched in 2008, the Ferrari California was inspired by the legendary 1957 Ferrari 250 California, a model with which it shares much of it's DNA. Both cars are elegant convertibles designed first and foremost for high performance track work, and both represent the very pinnacle of speed, exclusivity, craftsmanship and desirability.

Like every recent Ferrari model, the California was styled by Pininfarina. It offers a host of typical Ferrari design cues - it certainly couldn't be mistaken for any other make - yet at the same time, the body has been honed for optimum aerodynamics. It has low drag for higher top speeds and lower fuel consumption, while still producing enough downforce to ensure absolute stability.

ferrari-california-03.jpg

The California's all-aluminium V8 engine is positioned at the front - a first for Ferrari, whom have only ever placed a V12 up front before. The 4300cc powerplant produces 460bhp at 7500rpm and 485Nm of torque at 5000rpm, thought 75% of that torque is available as low as 2250rpm, which makes this one of the most tractable, as well as one of the most fuel-effiecient Ferraris of modern times. Stunning performance is available thanks to direct fuel injection and variable valve timing - 0-60mph takes under 4 seconds and the top speed is 193mph/311kmh.

Power from the engine is directed to the rear transaxle via a new double-clutch seven-speed gearbox that preselects the next gear to allow virtually instant gear changes. It also allows the driver to choose either manual or fully automatic mode.

ferrari-california-05.jpg

The California driver can also opt for other settings, not least the 'Manettino', positioned on the steering wheel (just like on an F1 car!), which controls the gearbox, stability and traction control systems and the suspension set up. Either Comfort or Sport mdoes can be selected for road use, or when on a track, the driver can switch off all the aids except ABS.

The California's traction control system, called F1-Trac, is so sophisticated that as well as ensuring maximum grip and stability, it is claimed to produce 20% better acceleration out of corners that can be offered by a traditional system.

ferrari_california_new.jpg

But this is not the car's only safety system: it also has an automatic roll bar that rises in milliseconds if the car overturns, as well as front and side airbags. You wouldn't want to crash a California, but if you do, it will mitigate the effects.

Both chassis and bodywork are aluminium to keep weight to a minimum. Also constructed from aluminium is the retractable hardtop that transforms the California from a coupé to a convertible at the touch of a button in just 14 seconds. There is a choice of either rear seats or a bench arrangement, and cleverly, boot/trunk space remains generous for a car of this class, whether the top is up or down and, Ferrari claims, it's possible to carry golf clubs or skis.

epcp_0909_06_z+ferrari_california+interior.jpg

Any new Ferrari is expected to be sexy, sassy, red and impractical, but this one is different. It's certainly available in red, and it's certainly achingly desirable. But it's also usable on an everyday basis, it's less demanding to drive fast than most supercars and it's reasonably spacious and practical. It's also easy to get in and out of - something that can't be said for every sports car capable of nearly 200mph. *cough*Murcielago*cough*

The new California won't be quite as exclusive as the original 250 California, launched some 50 years earlier, of which only 125 were ever made. Production volumes have been set at 2500 units a year and at launch in 2008, the entire first two years' worth of cars had been pre-ordered. No wonder it's attracted so much interest: the California is a true supercar with fabulous aesthetics that can still be taken to the supermarket to pick up the shopping. Although, not that you would. Because people would probably think you're a complete and utter tit.

2009-Ferrari-California-Production-Sicily-Erice-2-1280x960.jpg

-

And now last, but certainly not least, the GranTurismo S.

Maserati GranTurismo S

2010_Maserati_Gran_Turismo_S_Automatic.jpg

Maserati was bought by Fiat in 1993 after years of decline at the once great Italian car maker. Investment in a new model to re-establish Maserati's reputation was the first priority for the new owners, and with Fiat's help, the Maserati 3200GT duly appeared in 1999. It was an elegant coupé, styled by Giugiaro's ItalDesign and powered by a 3.2 litre turbocharged V8. It looked good, it performed well and it put Maserati back on the road to full recovery. During 1999, control of Maserati was passed to Ferrari (which was also owned by Fiat), with the idea that Maserati would become Ferrari's luxury car division, while Ferrari themselves continued to concentrate on supercars. With Ferrari's input, the Maserati Coupé and the convertible Maserati Spyder superseded the 3200GT in 2004.

Three years later, these models, in turn, were superseded by the Maserati GranTurismo. Maserati chose the same designer, Pininfarina, that they had used for their Quattroporte, and the GranTurismo shares its platform, suspension and engine with this earlier model. The GranTurismo's stylist, Jason Castriota, created a classic Maserati, with an eggshell grille that harks back to earlier models set into an aggressive but flowing 'coke-bottle' body shape that does more than hint at the car's performance potential. It's one of the most beautiful cars on the road today, effortlessly attracting attention wherever it goes.

maserati-granturismo-s-04.jpg

Its 4244cc V8 produced 400bhp at 7100rpm and 460Nm of torque at 4750rpm and provided effortless performance: 0-60 in 5.2 seconds and a top speed of 177mph/285kmh. That was more than enough to provide serious competition for the likes of the Aston Martin V8 Vantage or even the Porsche 911. Because Maserati viewed the GranTurismo as a grand tourer - hence its name, obviously - it was available only with automatic transmission, though it could be manually controlled via steering wheel paddleshifters.

Then in 2008, Maserati introduced the GranTurismo S, fitted with a bigger and more powerful engine, uprated Skyhook suspension, Brembo brakes and a sequential robotized manual transmission capable of changing gear in 100 milliseconds. Power from the V8, now bored out to 4691cc, was increased to 440bhp at 7000rpm and maxiumum torque to 490Nm at 4750rpm, which resulted in the 0-60 time counting down to 4.9 seconds and the top speed going up to 183mph/295kmh. It shares the same engine, incidentally, with the Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione, though it has been tuned slightly differently here to suit the Maserati's greater weight and grand tourer character.

2008-maserati-granturismo-s-2.jpg

On the road, the GranTurismo S is one of the best handling Maseratis of recent times. With the transmission incorporated in the rear transaxle, weight is 47:53 front to rear for good traction and reasonable balance, and thanks of the innovative Skyhook system's Sport mode, the dampers in the adaptive suspension are sharpened up, the throttle response is quickened and the upshift points in the six-speed auto gearbox are raised when the car is being driven vigorously. Inside, the cabin is luxuriously tailored with fine Poltrona Frau leather upholstery and refined wood trims. It's a sophisticated, elegant and mature sort of environment with touches of Italian flair.

Soon after, a fully automatic GranTurismo S was launched, and in many ways, this became the perfect grand tourer. In place of the rear transaxle, the gearbox is fitted to the rear of the engine, and this improves the balance of the car to a near-perfect 49:51 front to rear. It can still be brutally fast when speed is required, but when driven more sedately, it provides the most comfortable and elegant means possible to transport four people and their luggage.

2008-maserati-granturismo-s-picrute-6.jpeg

R.I.P. Sergio Pininfarina
1926 - 2012

Now I have an excuse to finally fire up my Pug 406, I've never driven it before. I also have some pics of the other cars laying around somewhere.. I'll post them up later :)

Pininfarina

So little time, so many cars. Straight to it this week:

I've got a bunch of Ferraris in the garage, probably just to spend some cash, as I am pretty indifferent towards them on the whole, unless they are pre 1970. As far as I remember I've only ever used the 458 Italia to do some seasonals a while ago, it is tuned to 591pp so haven't used it this week, instead:

Trial Mountain (5 laps/SH)

F40.......459BHP 1352Kg 523pp 1:43.514 (no oil change)
Pug.......351BHP 1269Kg 480pp 1:42.042
Brera.....261BHP 1750Kg 523pp 1:51.703 (CS)

Monza (5 laps/SH, except Brera 2 laps/CS)

Enzo.....671BHP 1255Kg 587pp....1:59.972
F40.......483BHP 1352Kg 531pp....2:05.418 (with oil change)
Cali.......462BHP 1630Kg 525pp....2:07.825
Brera.....262BHP 1750Kg 412pp....2:30.601 (CS)
Pug.......351BHP 1269Kg 480pp....2:09.144

Brera: is OK, faster than you think and handles well enough: a bit on the heavy side and bulbous looks to match. Not particularly inspiring and not at all at home at Monza, hence I only manged two laps in fear of falling asleep.

Bloated
Alfa_Brera_TrialMountain_2.jpg

F40: Wacky supercar, which as far as I can tell was built out of 80s excess and left over bits from a belated Group B effort, mainly to claim over 200mph for a road car before Porsche. Actually it looks pretty cool (in an 80s squareness way, but cool nonetheless), and certainly meaningful. Driving in the game is actually really good, and is accompanied by the persistent sucky turbo noise. The seemingly infinitely long gears meant I didn't get beyond third even on Monza and there is massive turbo lag if you get it wrong. I really enjoyed driving the F40, but would want to do something about the gearing anywhere other than RouteX.

80s teen wet dream
Ferrari_F40_Monza_1.jpg

California: Probably right at home in sunny coastal areas full of rich people. Nice retro styling cues and a good compliant drive in the game. As Wolfdragon rightly pointed out, you would look like a tit going to the supermarket in it.

Don't stop off to pick up the groceries
Ferrari_California_Monza_3.jpg

Enzo: There probably aren't enough hyperbole for this car. Clearly a vanity project for Ferrari, made just to show off. It worked though; it is a truly remarkable looking car with the F1 features and designed to look 'purposeful'. It also has the correct V12, elctronic gadgetry to shame the space shuttle and mindbending performance numbers (it is a road car remember).

Errrrrmmmm!!! I dont think the flappy think is going to help
Ferrari_Enzo_lockup_Monza_3.jpg

Driving (in the game, obviously) was a somewhat frustrating experience. After 3 unclean laps of Monza I resorted to TC=1 and ABS=1 in order to get a time within my 5 lap limit. It is stupendously fast, so on Monza you seem to spend alot of time braking, which it doesn't like: it wants to be unleashed and make your head explode with the screaming V12.

Loveme, love my nose
Ferrari_Enzo_Monza_1.jpg

Pug Coupe: Wow. Styling wise not very interesting - the Pininfarina name was presumably a marketing gimmick rather than an excersise in design. It's coupe based on a saloon - lesson 5 in Car Design 101.

It seemed a bit pointless driving this car stock after the Enzo et al., so I gave my only car a rebuild, then full weight loss and max tune. Just threw everything at it, gave it a basic suspension, and diff' setup and auto set the tranny to 149Mph, Sports Hard tyres.

Hehe. This is actually fun - after the clinical excellence of the Ferraris and the slight podginess of the Brera, this was a breath of fresh air. Actually not at all bad around Monza and right at home on Trial Mountain.

Sleeper
Pug_406_coupe_TrialMountain_1.jpg

Needs work on the setup and proper gear tweaks, but the Pug is my surprise Car of the Week: give it go Mac K:tup:

Wish I had more time for more cars!

Ferrari_F40_Monza_2.jpg

Last edited:
This is a great thread. Back on topic

The f40; as awesome as it is, it must be THE worst handling car on GT5 (aside from the yellowbird).

WHY?!!!!!!!!!!!

Theace37
This is a great thread. Back on topic

The f40; as awesome as it is, it must be THE worst handling car on GT5 (aside from the yellowbird).

WHY?!!!!!!!!!!!

Far from it. It requires finesse, and is one of the most rewarding cars in GT5. Like the Yellowbird, it's proof that you simply cannot drive at 100% all of the time.

Practice with this car and you'll see what I mean.

McClarenDesign
Far from it. It requires finesse, and is one of the most rewarding cars in GT5. Like the Yellowbird, it's proof that you simply cannot drive at 100% all of the time.

Practice with this car and you'll see what I mean.

Will do. I have near perfected the art of the yellowbird but will try this one too

Back