Carbon brakes,racing brakes.Which one is best?

• Thread starter mynameis66
  • 19 comments
United Kingdom
UK
If i install carbon brakes do i need to buy racing brake pads?Are the racing brakes kits better than carbon brakes,do i also need to buy pads too?
Thanks in advance.

So what was the test? How did you come up with +15% vs racing kits? I ask because the PP value increases by the same amount for both brake kits.

Playing around with backing distance on test track. I know the are supposed to be lighter but I'm not sure if the game actually reflects that

The brake pads and full brakes are different components, Carbon Ceramic is better than Racing, but racing brake pads are always useful. The best brakes would be racing pads + carbon ceramics.

Edit: I was wrong, the difference was definitely just a placebo

Last edited:
Carbon brakes make 0 difference in terms of braking performance, at least in non-endurance races. The braking distance does not change, and it shouldn't- that's not really one of the intended advantages of carbon brakes anyway.

The main advantages of carbon brakes are less unsprung weight and increased resistance to brake fade, but the weight doesn't change when you equip them, and I haven't experienced any sort of brake fade in the game at all, so neither of those seem to be relevant.

For what it's worth, all the race cars have slotted steel racing discs. I have a video comparing carbon and racing brakes that I made a while back that I'll share in a day or two once it's edited.

Last edited:
I noticed on my 600pp cars they don't make much difference. I did notice the pads help. I got away using stock rotors with sport pads, I noticed no difference if I switched rotors. This helps you get away with a lower pp and add more power or tuning.

But, if I'm using like a 650pp - 700pp I do notice a difference, heavier, more powerful cars need more braking power, that's when I start playing around with rotors and pads.

For me atleast

Last edited:
Carbon ceramics should also work really bad until they reach their operating temperature. Does the game reflect that?

When I tested both, they were the same on the outlap of a session, so either the game starts you off with brakes at operating temp, or the game doesn't account for it.

Even if I wish for a lot more simulation, when does "more" ... "too much" become?

I don't think that's an easy question to answer.

If the game would now also simulate cold/warm brakes and fading ectr and also unsprung masses.. then we would probably have a simulation that hardly any beginner would want to drive.

An alternative would be a "Normal" mode as it currently is and a "Pro" mode where these things are all simulated.
However, the game would then probably be much more expensive and the ********* would be much more violent due to the past and previous problems.

Even if I wish for a lot more simulation, when does "more" ... "too much" become?

If the game would now also simulate cold/warm brakes and fading ectr and also unsprung masses.. then we would probably have a simulation that hardly any beginner would want to drive.

An alternative would be a "Normal" mode as it currently is and a "Pro" mode where these things are all simulated.
However, the game would then probably be much more expensive and the ********* would be much more violent due to the past and previous problems.
I think the tuning options are already way too complicated for beginners, so adding more details on the brakes side of the physics isn’t likely to do much harm. Besides, the concept of brake temperature is probably relatively easy to understand and I believe beginners would approve of having more tuning options that they do understand.

More importantly, if it creates a meaningful reason to choose between different brake kits, then it seems like a good idea.

As I said, I could live with that for myself, or rather I would find it good.

But for me, even if it sounds childish, the focus is on seeing the "glow" of the brake discs when you have to brake hard/for a long time. it really fascinated me as a child and i still love it.. this small detail, which says nothing in principle.. still creates sooo much atmosphere.

I've always installed carbon brakes on my cars, but if there's no difference to racing brakes then I'll probably save money and just use that instead lol.

I do notice that you also need to upgrade to grippier tyres to take advantage of better brakes. Otherwise your front tyres get to locking threshold too quickly and the ABS becomes hyperactive and takes away too much braking power (which negates the better brakes in the first place).

We are already simulating useless things like unobtanium car prices and permanent engine damage with mileage.

Simulating brake temps and weight change with tuning parts are actually good things compared to those and makes sense in a racing game.

I just want to bump this.
Am I the only ones who find the normal racing (steel) brake discs better than the carbon ones?
The carbon brakes just aren't that good...

Do the most prominent tuners use Carbon brakes? Not unless they had a ticket that gave them Carbons for a specific vehicle. So what does that tell you?

Every legitimate experiment I’ve seen on this forum (at least 1, possibly 2) suggest that Carbon is nothing more than an extra expense.

So far I have seen no difference between carbon and racing brakes. To test thoroughly I'd recommend RS tyres, racing pads, and high tyre wear in case this enables any kind of durability model for brakes too. You could even start a custom race with damage enabled to see if this includes brake wear. Then test stopping distance Vs a known brake marker at, say 100 mph. Then thrash your tyres and brakes on hot laps until tyres gone, then pit for new tyres (and fuel to ensure weight is equal) and repeat the stopping distance test.

I tried this in an earlier version, not sure if I had damage enabled as I think I was in time trial mode. I couldn't see any difference between carbon and racing brakes.

Personally, when I want to fully-upgrade a car, I just go for the racing brake pads, plus the brakes that the various racecars have pre-installed. I can't remember if it was the drilled or slotted brakes, but it's the one that's on the left compared to the other brake type, which is all the way to the right.

To me, I feel carbon brakes make the car more stable when braking from high speeds. Only really notice it in the CappuBino and BeatR swaps, at Tokyo. Using the DS5, the brakes seem to bite harder with Carbon brakes. The Racing brakes seem softer by comparison. Whether it‘s a placebo effect or not, that’s what I’ve felt between the two options.

Back