Career mode difficulty setting

• Thread starter VetteDawg
  • 17 comments

VetteDawg

(Banned)
VetteDawg00
If you start a career in Easy mode. Can you change it to Hard mode?
Every time I change the difficulty to Hard, then click Continue I can see it change back to East just before the screen disappears.

Hi no unfortunately not you'll need to start the career in hard mode once started it cant be changed...... Oh and for added fun getting anything other than a test driver seat in hard mode is SOOOO difficult....

Last edited:
Thanks Owsy. I had created a new profile and set the setting to Hard. Boy-Howdy! I was 8 seconds out on the best 3 laps out of 4. That's like taking 3 seconds off per lap! It must be doable....but wow!

It seems impossible at first, but eventually you'll be up to speed, you just need to learn the tracks 👍

Its nice to have to run super-consistently in hard mode in order to keep the lead. I'm currently up to the Nurburgring in my 3rd season driving for BMW Sauber (1st and 2nd seasons were with MF1 as test driver then 2nd driver), currently leading the championship and able to qualify on pole, but finishing the race in 1st is an excercise of defensive and very fast driving. I love the challenge.

The biggest thrill though came from tracks like Monaco and Hungary, where its possible to get cars like the MF1 and Super Aguri to decent positions and defend them quite easily. Managing to finish the race and hold off the Ferrari's and Renault's is easily the most satisfying and fun thing I've ever done.
Just don't expect good results in the wet!

I'm pretty familiar with the tracks. I'm in my 3rd season in Easy mode which is just too simple.

Monaco is madness. I haven't been able to get any where near the end of a race without touching a wall and wrecking. As the announcers say, F1 cars have outgrown Monaco.

Hi VetteDawg,

NP at all hard is, well hard and as you said easy is REALLY easy. I've actually had the game for like best part of two years I've only just passed the hard mode test in a torro rosso to get a race seat (i cant stand doing the test driver thing) as Ardius said lots of practice and also i would say experiment with your car set up it makes a huge difference (thats once you have the seat of course)! OH and on the tests for a seat i find there are certain ones that are nearly impossible the only test I have been able to get a race seat on hard mode from was the Torro Rosso when they offered beat the time over 10 laps at magny cours. The target was a 1.16.6 i think, but to get the race seat still had to do a 1.14.9!!!! What I do is keep starting a career till i get that test offered then save it so I can have a few goes (I know its a bit of a cheat but if you dont want to be a test driver and want to race on hard career its my best advice!)

Last edited:
Thanks Owsy.
If you ask me, that Torro Rosso with the Cosworth is the best sounding car.
My driving wheel does not work with this game so I have to make do with the sixaxis.

Again anytime! Ooooh with the six axis! I know some people can get pretty good with it (I only had the six axis for the first year too) but honestly I dont think I'm exagerrating the wheel instantly takes probably a second off your times (well certainly for consistently being able to lap quickly)

Yeap that cosworth sounds lovely must agree, as much as I hate to admit it the other really good sounding car is the ferrari (from a mclaren fan it hurts to say that!) :)

:) Yeah, the Mclaren Mercedes sounds a bit nasal...like the BMW Sauber. I really like the look of the Mclaren though...all that chrome...

I'm not gonna buy another driving wheel until the new games come out (GT5 & F1).

Yeah lovely and shiny! :) I tend to drive the mclaren as it handles really nicely even if its not quite as quick as the renault and ferrari (IMO)... Dont blame you with the wheel makes total sense, I'm dreading the codemasters f1 game I've convinced myself its going to be arcadey rubbish. I figure if i turn out to be wrong and they have a decent sim side to the game then its great. But to my knowledge codemasters make arcade games? I never really fell in love with grid or driver or whatever it was called. GT5 is a different matter but I HATE the current prologue online random lump you in with whoever, so unless they fix that its no good really plus my heart lies with f1 the ferrari 2007 in prologue is a beast!

I have tried several different trials in the hard career mode. The easiest trial, to get the number one seat, is the MF1 at Magny Cours. Keep restarting your career until you get the trial for best 3 consecutive laps over a number of laps.
And keep trying until you're offered the #1 seat.
By far the easiest, IMO.

Hi VetteDawg,

NP at all hard is, well hard and as you said easy is REALLY easy. I've actually had the game for like best part of two years I've only just passed the hard mode test in a torro rosso to get a race seat (i cant stand doing the test driver thing) as Ardius said lots of practice and also i would say experiment with your car set up it makes a huge difference (thats once you have the seat of course)! OH and on the tests for a seat i find there are certain ones that are nearly impossible the only test I have been able to get a race seat on hard mode from was the Torro Rosso when they offered beat the time over 10 laps at magny cours. The target was a 1.16.6 i think, but to get the race seat still had to do a 1.14.9!!!! What I do is keep starting a career till i get that test offered then save it so I can have a few goes (I know its a bit of a cheat but if you dont want to be a test driver and want to race on hard career its my best advice!)

Its actually far faster (and easier in my opinion) to simply be a test driver for one season and achieve your personal goals (viewed in your profile in the Career mode menu). Naturally the easiest team to do this with is Super Aguri, they might have the worst car but having to beat Yuji Ide in team tests is certainly no challenge. Once in a race seat, its up to you to set the car up and run reliably and consistently enough to score some points. Then hopefully either be promoted to 1st driver or given a seat with a marginally better team like Red Bull or the best scenario is Toyota/BMW Sauber/Williams - those 3 are the best teams to get into with the best chances of podiums and wins that aren't the top 4 with generally easy teammates to beat.

I found repeatedly retrying the initial tests wasted too much time and was a little frustrating, whereas the setup tests and team tests are far easier and you don't have to complete them all.

Well I'm sure everyone has a prefered way of going about it..... I've noticed the 3 lap cumulative trial at Magny Cours seems to be a popular route on this forum, personally I've only had success on the 10 lap beat the target but everyone is different I'm sure.

For me I hated the test driver role it was unique the first time out but after one career accepting those roles if needed I decided I wouldnt again as I bought the game to race, but again everyone is different..... Each to their own Vettedawg you try out what works for you mate.

Oh I don't particularly enjoy the test driver role either, but you don't have to pass every test, you can just do the ones you find easy (for example, the fuel tests and aero tests I find very easy) and complete enough to meet the team's goals. This is a far easier and less time-consuming way of getting to a race seat as long as you know the tracks and can deal with the low sun. Oh and are able to beat the AI teammate.

but you don't have to pass every test, you can just do the ones you find easy (for example, the fuel tests and aero tests I find very easy)
I remember fueltest at Melbourne. Impossible stuff that (for me).

My career's on hard as well. I think i'm on my 4th (possibly end of the 3rd) year now. I started off in a Super Aguri, in a race seat :D, then moved to Williams in Season 2, then to Toyota and then to McLaren, in a test driver position. I was quickly moved up to Second driver and have won a few gp's since then. Your best bet during a race is to use race car evolution, it really does help even though it is time consuming.
Oh and I was able to win in Monaco on a 2-stop strategy with 24 laps :D, with the rest of the field doing a one-stopper.

Back