Cars that Surprised you in GT5

  • Thread starter Thread starter Skython
  • 97 comments
  • 10,546 views
Pleasant surprises
Pontiac Stolsice Concept- hate them in real life but amazing performance
Mercury Cougar XR-7- by far my favourite muscle to drive
All Lamborghini's other than the older Countach are amazing (Countach is meh ok) other than tire wear

Appalled Me
Both the Shelby 427 and GT350R how are 2 race cars so slippery on race softs?
Mitsubishi HSR-II Concept- love this car now but wow is it bad without a good setup
Caterham/Lotus 7- horrible on the ring and the pp system pairs it with hypercars

Thats it.... for now.
 
Shelby 427... Imagined understeer, oh how i was wrong
 
if you know anything about Skylines you shouldn't be surprised.

If you are referring to the GT-R SpecV as a Skyline then you are sorely mistaken. They are a completely new platform to the Skyline and share very little with them. Too often people still refer to them as Skylines when they are not..... very much people saying that a HSV Grange or a Monaro is a commodore, well actually they are because they are based off a commodore.

The car that surprised me and is enjoyable is the Fez 430...... tuned hard it is great fun with no assists apart from ABS set to 1. Running that bad boy around the ring is great fun and at times testing. That and the Saleen S7.
 
If you are referring to the GT-R SpecV as a Skyline then you are sorely mistaken. They are a completely new platform to the Skyline and share very little with them. Too often people still refer to them as Skylines when they are not..... very much people saying that a HSV Grange or a Monaro is a commodore, well actually they are because they are based off a commodore.
I have to imagine the reasoning has something to do with "who cares?"
 
Ford GT understeered much more than i expected and was a lot more easier to drive than the car in GT5:Prologue

The LMP Test car in GT5p was a blast to drive though.
If you gave it throttle, it understeered down in the gutter and if you gave it throttle it oversteered you into the gutter but backwards, and it was fun to master it since everybody I knew who said I used a better car got to drive it and they simply crashed while I lapped them in the car they drew the minutes ago.

But in GT5 the Ford GT LMP is a dream car.
But it's a lot slower than the other LMP cars so skills is needed if you are to drive it along the rest like I do.
 
+
SLR McLaren 19" wheel option (with a tune, it's AMAZING)
Integra Type R '04 (again, great car, agile around corners and good speed to back it up)
Ferrari SP1 (attrocious at first, but thanks to RKM motorsports, it's undefeatable)
Tommy Kaira ZZII (4WD, 230MPH top speed and only $60,000. What more could you want?)
Any LeMans car (not surprising, great handling and monstrous top speeds)

I could go on and on, but now on to the negatives...

-
RedBull X2010 (I knew it was bad, but not THIS bad!)
Ferrari F40 (an untamed beast that remains untamed. What a disappointment.)
Bugatti Veyron (you better get a good tune, or else you'll be painting walls with your sides!)
Jay Leno Tank Car (is it even possible to go around a corner without frying the front tires?)
 
+
the sound of the VW karmann ghia, i mean jeez it sounds more muscular than the muscle cars
ferrari 512BB and lamborghini muira perfectly keep pace with all modern cars
the tank car is the most entertaining car ever.. and it drifts great XD
-
the lotus elise (esp 111r) lotus elise are well known for their handling but seriously, what happened to them O_o
the ferrari california and the maserati granturismo and the veyron all handle like boats, BIG boats
the 4wd lamborghinis.. they spin... in many many circles
oh gawd the horror of a modded f430 scuderia without a tune
 
"I was really surprised by the Cizeta. It drove stupid bad in GT4, far worse than it possibly could have in real life....

...In GT5, though, the car drives great. It is still obviously a big, impractical supercar, but now it is actually usable in races against what could be viewed as its peers."

This. 👍

The Cizeta was a beauty to look at in GT4 but now is a beauty to drive as well :) ... and IMO, it has the most accurate engine sound of the game, alongside the 787B, the Veyron and some others I can't recall right now... :dopey:
 
veyrontroll2.jpg

Problem GT5 players?
 
I would have to say that little RUF that looks like a porsche boxter. I think the name is 3200??. But anyways it handles incredibly good. Only has 500 odd hp on max tune but it turns like a machine. I can only compare it to the little gsxr in terms of how fast it turns if you drive it correctly.
 
Pleasant surprises
Appalled Me
Both the Shelby 427 and GT350R how are 2 race cars so slippery on race softs?
QUOTE]

Know what you mean... Still, lots of fun factor with these cars...

(Try Sports Hard Tyres with these cars if you want a Slippery Ride) :)
 
+
-Formula GT: so sweet and clear, you have to love it.
-Honda N360- for a 1960's 2-cylinder, it sounds awesome in the high range
-BMW M3 GTR- world's best handling car EVER. Period.

-
-Ferrari F10- nowhere near as good as an F2007.
-Ford AU Falcon XR8- it's just a good-fast touring car
-Chapparal 2J- it is NOT a mini-X2010. Fast, but the aero isn't super-great and the 3 gears are awful
-Red Bull X2010- too artificial
-
 
hardvibes
-
Jay Leno Tank Car

I must disagree, who actually thought a 900 hp, 3 tonne car would actually do well? I love it to bits...
 
The new generation Fiat 500 took me by surprise when I had to buy one for a seasonal race. I was expecting it to be really slow and to have massive understeer, but with some light tuning and a nice suspension setup, it's a fast and nimble machine. Not to mention it looks pretty awesome once its lowered with a lip kit and some BBS mesh wheels.
 
Lexus Weds Sport '08 :)
Took it for a spin on the Ring (time trial) the other day... and was amazed by it's fine handling.
I have driven about 90+ cars in GT5, and this one is definately my number one!
 
The Fiat 500 F '68 was a pleasant surprise, especially when fully modded. Very, very entertaining car to hotlap around tracks. I love how the tail kicks out under hard cornering. It sounds great, too. It sounds more throaty and powerful than my Corvettes and Camaros. :dopey:
 
Silvia 240RS (S110) '83

It looks like a GNX mixed with a Quattro, but it's not to be missed.
 
Silvia 240RS (S110) '83

It looks like a GNX mixed with a Quattro, but it's not to be missed.

It's amazingly quick and can hold it's own against Supercars and even Hypercars.
 
The Corvettes. Acceleration, power and handling did NOT follow it's real world hype!
 
Last edited:
I was surprised at how many Skyline GTR and Miatas are in the game. Actually the numbers of Miatas and Skylines would have been even higher if Japanese carmakers didn't changed the names for all new Skylines GTR to GTR only, not to mention all EU/US version of those lovely Miatas being called MX5.
I smell conspiracy.
 
The Fiat 500 F '68 was a pleasant surprise, especially when fully modded. Very, very entertaining car to hotlap around tracks. I love how the tail kicks out under hard cornering. It sounds great, too. It sounds more throaty and powerful than my Corvettes and Camaros. :dopey:
Everything you say is absolutely true 👍
 
good- castrol mugen nsx. I used it to win races, and then let bob drive it to win races. I remember it being rather mediocre in the previous gt games, always outclassed by its competitors in the "racecar" races.

bad- 07 mustang gt. I dont care how much Kaz hates mustangs, this car didnt deserve this. its like they added an extra zero to the weight rating.
 
Fiat 500 Lounge,

It's awesome when fully tuned, a Fiat that has almost 300 hp ? Hehehe ! It handles pretty well too and it's a charm on the Ring at night. Try it, and you'll see what I mean. Cockpit view necessary !
 
Fiat 500 Lounge,

It's awesome when fully tuned, a Fiat that has almost 300 hp ? Hehehe ! It handles pretty well too and it's a charm on the Ring at night. Try it, and you'll see what I mean. Cockpit view necessary !

I agree. It's a very cheeky little rocket to throw around the Ring. I liked it so much, that I bought two! :dopey:
 
For me it's gotta be the Ferrari 458. IRL the car has a ton of legitimate hype. Everything I've read about it says the 458 is amazing. I'm happy PD translated all the greatness of the 458 to GT5.

I bought a few 458's and modded them pretty heavily without driving them in the stock configuration. I wasn't happy with the results though. It always felt like the mods made it handle worse. I finally bought one and left it stock. Just put some Sport Softs on it. That was when I realized the greatness of the 458. Super fast right off the showroom floor.

Do a time trial with a stock 430 Scuderia vs a stock 458, around the Nurburgring. 458 won't feel much faster but it'll get around there about 10 to 15 seconds faster. 430 scud is no slouch either. 458 is just that much better!
 
Better than expected:

Camaro SS '10. I figured this would handle about the same as the '08 Challenger; fun in that muscle car way, but sluggish and not very fast. As it turns out, however, it's a different beast entirely. Swift as hell around corners, very nice and balanced FR feel reminiscent of RX-7 Spirit R or Shelby Series 1, and doesn't feel like its weight (~1800 kg) at all. There's something magical about the 3rd gear of this car: it seems to be the right gear for so many corners and it's never hard to decide what gear to use in any given corner. One of the most straight up fun cars to drive.

McLaren F1. I expected it to be fast of course, just not that it would smoke the street legal competition entirely (save for the Veyron; crappy handling, but 1000 horsepowers speak for themselves) given it's a 16 year old car at the time of the game's release. Swift as hell handling, total race car performance brakes, perfect over/understeer balance, fun as hell to drive, it's practically perfect in every way. On most tracks of average length it's usually some 3-4 seconds ahead of even the fastest road cars. Hard sports tires may be a little underperforming for the insane speed it's capable of (wouldn't surprise me if it came with grippier tires IRL), but I've learned to work around that. A top 10 favorite car, for sure.

Worse than expected:

Enzo Ferrari. I did some 40 laps on Tokyo R246 and still couldn't turn this car properly to save my life. This car turns in one of two ways: 1. understeer like hell or 2. oversteer and send the rear end flying like crazy if I accelerate just a hairpin too much when taking a corner. I get they were probably going for an F1-esque feel, and that it's not supposed to be "tail-happy" in its handling. However, in the game Enzo just understeers way too much for that to work. The 458 Italia I have a similar problem with, although not nearly to the same extent, and it's still a very good car. As for a truly awesome Ferrari: F430 Scuderia. One of my favorite cars in the game and handles nothing like the Enzo.

All of the newer Lamborghinis. I can get some pretty decent lap times if I use the right driving technique, but I never get a good feel for them. They have the worst kind of 4WD understeer possible, seemingly without any of the benefits of a rear mounted engine. Sluggish is the key word here. I've since learned that Lambos being a sucky ride isn't news to many people, but this is the first time I drive one in a decently realistic game. I do love both both Countaches, though (haven't tried out Miura properly yet). Also, Audi R8 is a way better alternative for 4WD, rear mounted engine, actually one of my favorite cars in the game.

(all cars driven stock, sports hard tires, aids off except ABS at 1)
 
Despite its low hp (725) comparing to real life, the Toyota Supra can be a real beast for drag racing in this game, both 1/4 and full ssr7 tunnel. The Supra is also one of the hardest cars to tune for drag. I wish the Supa had like 800 hp, than i would beat almost every car. Pliz PD make the Supra premium, and add more hp to it in gt6 :)
 
Back