cars

• Thread starter rob
  • 30 comments
Buy da Vauxhall Calibra Touring Car in North City or da Alfa Romeo Touring Car in West City. Both rock!! Enjoy. PS Both cost 1million credits

So, what would be a good car for beginners? I just got this game and I'm totally addicted! I'm currently driving one of the Lancer Evolutions, though I can't remember which at this particular time.
It seems to get out of control a bit, though that may just mean I need much, much more practice on the arcade mode and license tests....:shakehead

Well, I'd like to recommend a second-gen Supra (single turbo)-but they get pretty unruly. If you do get one, make sure you have an LSD. When the power ramps up you may need TCS, too.

Subaru WRXes are fast, easily modded and forgiving of your mistakes. :D

Oh, wait. Now I remember! Get a Lancia Y and pimp it. Properly set up, they will kill more powerful cars simply because you won't have to slow down for corners. Much. ;)

Nice. I will look it over when I get home then. I was looking at the Renault Clio or a Beetle.
Right now I'm in a Lancer Evolution (which I think kicks a goodly amount of butt for the price). I'll check out the Y though.

Nice tip Risingson77 I will try it out!!
PS no, I'm not a beginner, I'm just on the lookout 4 cheap, great handling cars that kill those cars that have more power!!

I actually ended up going with a Lancia Delta instead of the Y for right now--though I may go back for it later. Maybe this is just my inexperience ('cause I AM a beginner!) but that thing is a beast! Good hp, handles like it's on rails....the powerband seems to be placed lower in the gears than I'd like, but I imagine that can be adjusted with some liberal tinkering...

The Lancia Delta has great handling, a truckload of power, and will basically do what you want it to. Not a bad choice for a beginner, eh?

Thanx
Mr GT2

:D Seems to be. I'm enjoying it, so far. Any idea how to gear the thing down so it stays closer to the powerband? It takes off like a shot, but eventually the field catches up with you 'cause it bogs down higher up in the gears.
Might end up having to go with MT to just downshift it.

You should go MT just to use engine braking....it's immensely helpful.

As for the gearing, get a fully adjustable racing tranny and bring the top gear (or two) closer to a 1:1 ratio. It sounds like they're just too tall right now.

Is there anywhere out there that lists most or all of the cars in the game and gives some sort of in-depth review? I bet that would be very useful to the beginners.

k. I've developed an excellent system for reviewing cars....save up the required amount of money...save the game...THEN buy the car you want to try out...if you don't like it, just reload the game! It's helped me a lot in all 3 GT games.

BTW, did my gear ratio explanation help at all, or did I just muddle everything up even worse? :)

No, it helped! I haven't adjusted it down yet, though I have been using your trick to test cars out. :P I've got a long long way to go yet, although I've somehow managed to win a few pretty interesting cars. Right now I'm using the Daishin Silvia as a moneymaker, just going to the High Speed Ring and opening it up. I can just manage to come in first on the 5th lap because it seems to beat the competition around the corners!
Got my lancer tweaked up & race modified now, too although it's still down around 295 horsepower.

:odd: I'm a little daunted by trying to drive some of the FR high hp monsters. They spin so frikkin easily!

Try TCS on an FR if you have spinout problems. A light setting will seriously reduce the chance of a spin without cutting into your acceleration too badly.

Do try a 2nd-gen single-turbo Supra...THAT is a money-makin' car....and it has one of the best engine/exhaust sounds in the game (kind of a nasal yowl...if you can imagine that ;) ) when it's completely uncorked.

Thanks, I'll give it a try! The different engine/exhaust sounds among the cars is one of the better features of the game, I have to admit....Although I wish the older Chevys & Fords didn't sound so much like vacuum cleaners!! :P

....It's just that when I think of classic muscle cars, what does NOT come to mind is a high pitched wheezing whine! :P
What we need is the throaty rumble of a big block with a straight exhaust!

True....but some of them get wheezy when they're run at the top of the rev range...usually because they make most of their power in the lower-mids.

Hi all, My 1st car was a skyline, I still got it ,kept it for a sort of keepsake lol. She handles very well, built to the hilt . And the sound ,oooooh ,Sounds like one of those nascars, take it to the super speed ring and wind her out,luv it:D . Hey how about a race in our old 1st cars. HP not exceed 400 hp.What do u all think?

Hmmm...While that sounds pretty cool, I think I'd get spanked big time!! :eek: My 1st car was a Mitsubishi FTO. I kept 'er too, also for the keepsake value. :P
I think she'd get eaten alive by some of you guys out there!

Originally posted by cerbera
trailer ,,How many horses does your fto have?
Sorry dude, I had an accessibility issue over the weekend, or I would've gotten back to you sooner!
Anyhoo, I'm not sure off the top of my head how many...It's maxed, but it still isn't over like 320 HP I don't think. I seem to remember it being somewhere around the high 290's, but that could be wrong as well... I'll check when I get home from work.

IMHO, a good cheap car that can seriously give it to the tougher opponents is either the Lancer Evo VI RS or an Impreza. Both have great cornering skills due to their 4WD and can easily be modded. They are more forgiving of mistakes too and won't be so easy to spin.

Give the Honda S2000 a try too!

Back