Chevrolet Chaparral 2X VGT Super Lap: High Speed Ring

• Thread starter nowcontrol
  • 198 comments
I'm sorry Kaz that I deeply offended your persona by using my peasant controller. I deserved the punishment - my soul is cleansed now.

I'll go have fun outside now

Flagellants.png

45,7 after 2 hours :irked:

Taking the most inside line into first and second corner did the trick. On a positive side this car provides the easiest 24 min of Le Mans win to date. Literately a walk in the park.

I was finishing the race while the 2nd car was leaving the pits. So yeah - it's good for something..

Last edited:
Here is a video of my lap, maybe some of you guys can take some inspiration from my wheel inputs. My advice is, brake before the corner, then try to go on full throttle when turning in.

Tried 2-3 hours today, but cannot get into the 42's! Almost threw my wheel out of the window :banghead::banghead:
Fastest was 43:275...not happy!

Same as me? Set a good time in the first half hour, then spend another hour + screwing up EVERY LAP! :banghead:

One of the most frustrating ones for me.. 43 second lap.. How hard can it be?..

.. Very

I tried to set a 42 second time but I ended up setting a 43.185 second lap time. There is no way I am going to set a 42 second lap time. But, I am not too mad about that.

After looking at trl_immortal's replay, I dropped my time to 45.3 to 43.833. It took me a lot of practice to set that time. Slow in and fast out works perfectly in this car. I could've set a 42 but I keep messing up at the two slow corners and sometime the last one. My rank is 821st and I'm a dfgt user since gt5.

I am struggling with this one, I'm currently at 46.584 and it feels to me like going faster is almost physically impossible. I considered the slow in-fast out strategy mentioned here, and tried hard to implement it into my driving.

I must say I am of a somewhat different opinion. I think slow in-fast out suits this car, but not on this particular track where the turns are long. I can't say that being fast with slow in-fast out on this track is impossible, but it is close. I try to slow down properlý before entry, releasing the throttle while braking to maximize the deceleration rate for efficiency. Then I start to turn in, and hit the throttle for more downforce. I can feel that there is downforce applied as I floor it, the car accelerates but at the same time turns a lot better so I start moving closer to the inside of the corner. Everything looks perfect. But then at the apex, the car suddenly changes its mood, it continues accelerating but starts understeering badly towards the outside. This causes me to hit the outside wall on exit, unless I repeat the procedure with a short tap on the brake, then accelerating and moving towards the inside again. This effectively changes the slow in-fast out to a slow in-fast mid-slow out line, and the resulting time is of course disastrous.

Even if I could get the car to stay away from the outside wall on exit, I don't see how the slow in-fast out line is quicker. I can easily see that when I am slowing on entry, in the slow in phase, my ghost speeds past me and gets way ahead. At the apex I am still behind it, and after that I get understeer and a lose even more to my ghost.

Just my thoughts about it.

I am struggling with this one, I'm currently at 46.584 and it feels to me like going faster is almost physically impossible. I considered the slow in-fast out strategy mentioned here, and tried hard to implement it into my driving.

I must say I am of a somewhat different opinion. I think slow in-fast out suits this car, but not on this particular track where the turns are long. I can't say that being fast with slow in-fast out on this track is impossible, but it is close. I try to slow down properlý before entry, releasing the throttle while braking to maximize the deceleration rate for efficiency. Then I start to turn in, and hit the throttle for more downforce. I can feel that there is downforce applied as I floor it, the car accelerates but at the same time turns a lot better so I start moving closer to the inside of the corner. Everything looks perfect. But then at the apex, the car suddenly changes its mood, it continues accelerating but starts understeering badly towards the outside. This causes me to hit the outside wall on exit, unless I repeat the procedure with a short tap on the brake, then accelerating and moving towards the inside again. This effectively changes the slow in-fast out to a slow in-fast mid-slow out line, and the resulting time is of course disastrous.

Even if I could get the car to stay away from the outside wall on exit, I don't see how the slow in-fast out line is quicker. I can easily see that when I am slowing on entry, in the slow in phase, my ghost speeds past me and gets way ahead. At the apex I am still behind it, and after that I get understeer and a lose even more to my ghost.

Just my thoughts about it.
Slow in, fast out for the esses only. Take the banked turn before the starting line at full throttle. Same with the big banked turn after the start. Turn 2, just a dab of left foot brake while remaining full throttle. Then, the esses mess me up--I need more slow in and more fast out there. Finally, I take the last banked turn at full throttle, with a dab of left foot at entry.

Since I've been bumped out of the top 500, I'll need to try this again and work on the S.

Anyone on a DS3; use ASM if you're tired of chasing that gold prize.
I immediately cut a second off my time with ASM on.
^^^Agreed, using "X" throttle and dpads, I was only able to get gold with ASM on. I was well over a second off the pace before doing so. To those using a DS3... Keep at it, you'll get it. Atleast that is what I had to tell myself. Even though you get the car for just running a clean lap, it is in our nature to get that gold!:lol:
:cheers:

Finally decided I just had to get on the wheel for this one, I could not force it to go around here any faster with the DS3 and was stuck at 47.4 #29k's.

WOW.... it is so much simpler with 900º and pedals, got a 44.7xx on my first clean lap after hitting walls for about 5 laps, then I continued on for an hour and dropped that to 43.4xx #680 and there is probably a few more tenths to get if I can suss out how to get around the S a little more swiftly. :D

Definitely more fun in this car with a wheel, I wanted to throw my DS3 at the TV. :lol:

Finally decided I just had to get on the wheel for this one, I could not force it to go around here any faster with the DS3 and was stuck at 47.4 #29k's.

WOW.... it is so much simpler with 900º and pedals, got a 44.7xx on my first clean lap after hitting walls for about 5 laps, then I continued on for an hour and dropped that to 43.4xx #680 and there is probably a few more tenths to get if I can suss out how to get around the S a little more swiftly. :D

Definitely more fun in this car with a wheel, I wanted to throw my DS3 at the TV. :lol:
Great. Now I just dropped a notch on my friends list:irked: I guess I'll have to find a faster path through the S as well:banghead:

:cheers:

Slow in, fast out for the esses only. Take the banked turn before the starting line at full throttle. Same with the big banked turn after the start. Turn 2, just a dab of left foot brake while remaining full throttle. Then, the esses mess me up--I need more slow in and more fast out there. Finally, I take the last banked turn at full throttle, with a dab of left foot at entry.

Since I've been bumped out of the top 500, I'll need to try this again and work on the S.

I was finally able to gold it today. For the banked turn before the starting line, there was no way to take that at full throttle without left foot braking for a long time during the first half of the turn, and some small taps in the second half, to adjust the trajectory. Turn 1 is taken at full throttle without any problems. Just like the final turn, turn 2 requires quite a lot of left foot brake modulating to keep the trajectory close to the inside, just a little tapping on entry wasn't enough for me. I had to really work on this to get it right. For the esses I was braking without throttle. I found that slow in-fast out is indeed the way to go, but one must not brake too early and then get on the throttle too early, which was what I did wrong earlier. A slightly later braking+entry and then flooring the throttle let me get a later apex, not running wide at the exit.

I was finally able to gold it today. For the banked turn before the starting line, there was no way to take that at full throttle without left foot braking for a long time during the first half of the turn, and some small taps in the second half, to adjust the trajectory. Turn 1 is taken at full throttle without any problems. Just like the final turn, turn 2 requires quite a lot of left foot brake modulating to keep the trajectory close to the inside, just a little tapping on entry wasn't enough for me. I had to really work on this to get it right. For the esses I was braking without throttle. I found that slow in-fast out is indeed the way to go, but one must not brake too early and then get on the throttle too early, which was what I did wrong earlier. A slightly later braking+entry and then flooring the throttle let me get a later apex, not running wide at the exit.
I agree about the S's, but the banked turn before the starting line? I have a G27, and for me it's quite easy to take that flat out every time. Perhaps its the difference in wheels? I make small micro corrections in steering, but that's all.

So, finally myself was able to golden this time trial. And that even with my lousy skills and a DualShock3 controller, but well, sometimes I could have really cursed it. First a time under 46.100, then a superb lap (at least for my possibilities) and guess what? 46.007! :banghead: But in the end I was finally able to put the lap under that magical 46.000 limit.

Nevertheless I really want to thank those who have suggested keeping full throttle while keep breaking, at the same time. I could not use it in every corner, but I really believe that it stabilized the car a lot in the last corner (just before the start/finish-line; keeping the thumb on the right stick to give it full-throttle, with some bursts of braking [Square-button in my case] in the same time).

@sidtiroler same story for me. Had a 46.054 and then a 46.033 :ouch:

Finally managed gold with a 45.915 with DS3. Sadly this is the first seasonal in which I had to use driving aids.
Will also be the last time I drove this car. What a awful sounding piece of junk.

Very nice to have free VGT cars but really would like to see some new real life cars in the game.

Thanks everyone for the useful tips in this tread :cheers:

Merry X-mas.

I agree about the S's, but the banked turn before the starting line? I have a G27, and for me it's quite easy to take that flat out every time. Perhaps its the difference in wheels? I make small micro corrections in steering, but that's all.

With a G27 it might be true. I use a DS3 since I've moved around and didn't bring my DFGT with me. Actually I'm visiting my family for christmas at the moment, but haven't had the energy to unpack and setup the DFGT that lies here somewhere. Instead I went through a lot of pain and frustration by insisting on golding it with the DS3, out of plain stubbornness since I knew it was possible to do it.

I guess that is the main difference between using a wheel and a DS3. It is not possible to go anywhere near flat out through the last turn (the one before the start/finish line) with a DS3.

Down-tuned it to 750 and tried it out in the International A GT-WC Nurburgring event. It was stupefyingly fast to the extent that even with less than stellar driving I had reached second place before finishing the GP-Strecke section of the first lap.

The flip-side is that if you so much as hint at maybe coming in close proximity to a rumble strip, or perhaps a blade of grass brushes against a wheel, you wipe out so hard that your grandchildren will lose every race in which they ever participate.

Thanks to the new update, the 2X seems loads easier to control. If you're a fellow DS3 user, you'll have an easier time getting the gold. I was at 50 seconds before the update, and I got 45.2 afterward. You'll still have to work at it, but it's bearable this time.

The car is fixed now for DS3 users. I just improved my time over 1.5 seconds to 43.801 using a controller and @ERAUfan97 ran 43.281.
Were you questioning how the heck I improved my time by so much? I know you are smart enough to figure it out but I feel like it might've been a surprise....or at least thought I was using super softs again

Yaaaay, Chaparral lost the understeer..now i can go full speed thru the first two corners (when you start fresh) Amazing change, now i really like the car.TickTickTickTickerdetick...VROOOAAAAM.:D

With a G27 it might be true. I use a DS3 since I've moved around and didn't bring my DFGT with me. Actually I'm visiting my family for christmas at the moment, but haven't had the energy to unpack and setup the DFGT that lies here somewhere. Instead I went through a lot of pain and frustration by insisting on golding it with the DS3, out of plain stubbornness since I knew it was possible to do it.

I guess that is the main difference between using a wheel and a DS3. It is not possible to go anywhere near flat out through the last turn (the one before the start/finish line) with a DS3.

I have to slow down at the beginning of the last turn too and I am a wheel user.

Edit: the car handles better then it used to be but very stiff around the Esses.

Last edited:
Back