Chevrolet Chaparral 2X VGT Super Lap: High Speed Ring

• Thread starter nowcontrol
  • 198 comments
Got gold in about 20 min. The most speed you'll lose in the S turn. To get the most speed out of the last turn, dab a bit of brake mid corner and stomp on the accelerator.

The car kind of understeers, but it's a weird beast of a car. Ridiculously fast and generally won't lose grip. The Esses is it's weakest point since it's just not intuitive to drive while braking mid corner. The brakes are ridiculously grippy too.

i'm a ds3 user and i am also having trouble getting gold. i'm within .8 seconds of gold using the driving options abs 3, tcs 3, active steering mild, and controller sensitivity +5. i think i'm going to turn off the active steering because it numbs the controller in the high speed corners. it is definitely possible with a ds3 but would be so much easier with a wheel.

i don't feel guilty using the tcs and abs in this particular car because it is such a futuristic monstrosity that i can reasonably believe that those systems will be equipped on the car.

Am I missing something here? I haven't got traction control and with the car being thrust driven, I didn't expect it to have it.

So far, I've hit the (figurative) wall at 47.5 (DS3) as I still can't make myself drive the car like I'm supposed to. So counter intuitive to anything I've ever driven before. I'm sure It'll "click" eventually and I'll be able drive it properly.

As for the car, it's so radical it takes some digesting but I imagine once I work out the driving method, I'll be an even bigger fan. An incredible out of the box experience.

Kudos to Chaparral and PD but please, more internal combustion engines. I'm not ready for this madness yet. .

Well I managed a 45.9xx so I got my gold. I am done with that car. It's not my cup of tea.

Done a best of a 44.9.

I personally put the 2X in the same boat with the 2 DeltaWings. They're cars which you have to drive it in a completely different manner from a traditional car. It's not bad once you the driving down pat.

It just feels weird at times. :crazy:

This is a lot harder with a DS3 than with a wheel. Just tried the DS3, I couldn't even get silver. With the DFGT I get better lap times even when I crash.

Just got a new personal record with the DFGT:

Lap 1: 44.003
Lap 2: 44.003

And no, that's not a typo, I got the exact same time two laps in a row! I was so amazed that I crashed on the 3rd lap :lol:

Last edited:
This is a lot harder with a DS3 than with a wheel. Just tried the DS3, I couldn't even get silver. With the DFGT I get better lap times even when I crash.

Just got a new personal record with the DFGT:

Lap 1: 44.003
Lap 2: 44.003

And no, that's not a typo, I got the exact same time two laps in a row! I was so amazed that I crashed on the 3rd lap :lol:

I agree 100% with you about using a wheel. Using a controller my time was 54:609, with the DFGT wheel my time improved to 44:520. Using the controller it seemed like it understeered on every corner, but with the wheel I was able to hold higher speeds through the corners.

This car... :boggled:

Honestly, after my first few laps with it (using a creaky DS3), I could only summarise that if you had to slap a picture next to the definition of "Inconsistency", this machine would be it. Crazy. :lol:

This event is killing me. I've got forearms like Popeye from gripping the controller too hard and invented a dozen new swear words.

To think, I actually saw the car and track combo and said to myself, "this'll be easy then". Sitting one and a half seconds off gold for two days gives that thought a proper slap.

Respect to the DS3 gold timers out there. Handicapped for sure in this event but you've proved it's possible.👍

This car gave me a pretty big (virtual) reality check as like a few others I thought it would be a walk in the park.

Things that you have to learn and relearn,

• It doesn't have power sent to its wheels so trying to induce oversteer with more power won't work.
• Don't coast, stay on the throttle and Left foot (right thumb :sly:) braking helps.
• ASM is your friend here if using a DS3 (like me).

After a while, I finally got a 45.9. :)

I'm willing to cut the 2X a break as its completely different to anything else in the game in terms of design and especially propulsion.

I agree 100% with you about using a wheel. Using a controller my time was 54:609, with the DFGT wheel my time improved to 44:520. Using the controller it seemed like it understeered on every corner, but with the wheel I was able to hold higher speeds through the corners.

Well, the DS3 adapts the steering inputs by how much grip is available. I'm thinking that the calculation it uses doesn't include the fact that you get more downforce when you accelerate so it only turn the wheels based on what the tyres can handle without the extra downforce.

I am DS3 user and yeah i struggled,but there are a lot of tips in here,i had ASM on,sens 6 or 7 abs 1,triggers for brake accel,left stick steer,i found just touching brake when i would start to drift out in a corner helped get it back around,this was the only way i could get it and after 208 k's i was happy....Yep it was a good challenge and i am very happy to have a ranking in the way bottom half of 7000,but just achieving the gold was :D Good luck to every one else and well done to those who have got there,and those guys up the top WOW :bowdown:

Last edited:
I turned ASM on and then sorry to say, that was much easier. I spent literal hours on this, using a DS3 to hit a wall at 46.2. Warmed up a bit just now, read some posts, turned ASM on, five laps later, gold.

Set throttle to R1 trigger and hold it down. Lean into the brakes gently and hold it til I see the color changes on the track. Like no skid marks or patches of different color tarmac. Let it rip and hope it's right. Tie one together and there it was.

I swore a lot. I cursed at Jim Hall and told him Adrian Newey is kicking his butt. I would have rather this was the GM VGT than a Chaparral.

Am I missing something here? I haven't got traction control and with the car being thrust driven, I didn't expect it to have it.

So far, I've hit the (figurative) wall at 47.5 (DS3) as I still can't make myself drive the car like I'm supposed to. So counter intuitive to anything I've ever driven before. I'm sure It'll "click" eventually and I'll be able drive it properly.

As for the car, it's so radical it takes some digesting but I imagine once I work out the driving method, I'll be an even bigger fan. An incredible out of the box experience.

Kudos to Chaparral and PD but please, more internal combustion engines. I'm not ready for this madness yet. .

yeah sorry about that. i got mixed up.

I thought I was missing something that might have helped me out to be quicker. No worries on the mix up.👍

@coryclifford "Let it rip and hope it's right" got a chuckle out of me.:lol:

I'll give ASM a try. I usually rule it out as it takes too much feeling away but this isn't a normal car. Rule book needs throwing out.

That gold will be mine! Probably...

Just ran this event for the first time. What a silly car! :rolleyes: I was able to squeak out a Gold Medal time after a couple of laps that I spun out on and that's it for me.

ASM and a higher controller sensitivity has given me the confidence to drive the car how it was meant to be driven. Full throttle and steering with the brake. A proper eureka moment.

The esses before the bridge is still a nightmare but at least I know where my best time's coming from.

Down from 47.5 to 46.2 after 10 minutes with tired eyes. I'm saving the gold for tomorrow with fresh eyes.:cheers:

I'm using G27 wheel, starting to reach my limit at 43 secs with my best time 43.9xx at this moment, no point to do it again, no car physics would be like that, too imaginative!

I'm using G27 wheel, starting to reach my limit at 43 secs with my best time 43.9xx at this moment, no point to do it again, no car physics would be like that, too imaginative!
You need to brake with your left foot before the bridge and in the last turn. You'll find a few tenths.

DSCF2876.JPG

Got that on the 2nd lap of trying this morning. Cornering mid track with loads of little brake dabs so if I can press the brake peddle even quicker, I should get closer to the apexes and better exits. I should be able to get another half second off.

Edit: 45.655 and I messed up the esses...again.

Monty-Python.gif

Last edited:
I just watched a youtube video where somebody doesn't employ this braking while accelerating through some of the corners. And on the last turn they just dab the brake and full gas afterward. I would hit the wall trying that.

I went to a Turisbro's house last night and tried it with the wheel. Totally not fair. A totally different experience. Practically easy with the wheel.

I just watched a youtube video where somebody doesn't employ this braking while accelerating through some of the corners. And on the last turn they just dab the brake and full gas afterward. I would hit the wall trying that.
I keep the throttle wide open there, but briefly dab the brakes once with my left foot on entry. I haven't played for a few days, and was at 43.6 last time. I think I can get into the 42's.

Back