Cities: Skylines (the Sim City we deserve)

Discussion in 'Console & PC Gaming' started by Akira AC, Mar 10, 2015.

1. eran0004

eran0004

Working on a public transport map for my city, because I thought that would be fun.

And now I realize why almost everyone takes the bus to/from the airport instead of the train. Turns out that my train station isn't as well connected as I thought it was, so instead of taking the train to the train station and then waiting for a bus to the main square (where all the connections are), it's just better to simply take the bus all the way from the airport.

So that's about a billion dollars wasted on building that train line! Good thing my citizens doesn't get to vote on who should be their mayor :O

Skärmbild (439).png

Miths and VXR like this.
  2. PJTierney

PJTierney

I already completed the game on Xbox when it was released, had a lot of fun with it :)

I saw that the Xbox version now has (pre-approved) Mods available; are there any quality of life Mods (like traffic improvements/features) or is it all Assets?

3. PJTierney

PJTierney

I completed it on Xbox at launch (about a year ago).

They did a great job in making a complicated set of options easy to use on console; menu navigation was simple and intuitive.

The game was somewhat unstable at the time, and the framerate would begin to suffer if you had a larger city, along with a greater risk of game crashes as your city size increased.

I don't know of the Xbox One X version came with some stability improvements as I had stopped playing by then, but I presume the game has been patched to a relatively stable standard now.

Worth playing, especially if you don't already own the PC version :)

VXR likes this.
  4. VXR

VXR

Cheers @PJTierney I was considering it on PS4, just for the extra RAM over my original XBO.

5. eran0004

eran0004

With some help from the public transportation map I changed the route of the airport bus, added a new line to give the train station a better connection and built a subway between some of the busier areas. It seems to have increased the number of passengers that takes the train from the airport, from around 2 to around 10, which would be a 400% increase! Hopefully the citizens will forgive me now for having built that railway...

buslines.png

MatskiMonk likes this.
  6. eran0004

eran0004

Spaghetti intersection in motion.

And here is the white bus line, going from the airport to the seaport and back.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  7. eran0004

eran0004

I quite like this intersection. Seven different directions meeting!

Skärmbild (462).png

8. Miths

Miths

I really regret not getting this in the recent PSN sale, but on the other hand the base PS4 game is only €40 so I should probably jump on it. It sounds from DLC reviews I've read like the snowfall pack is far from a mandatory purchase?
    And I don't think any additional DLC has been released on the PS4 yet (it includes After Dark in the base game).

I've noticed there's a disaster DLC pack on the PC version - does the base game not have any kind of natural disasters except for basic fires and maybe some broken water pipes?

9. eran0004

eran0004

Snowfall adds trams I think, other than that it doesn't seem very interesting to me.

The base game (on PC) doesn't have any natural disasters, although the water is dynamic so it's possible to flood your city if you mess up while terraforming near the shoreline. I've also had some disastrous traffic jams, but they don't count :p

Edit: This is a pretty nice view!

Skärmbild (465).png

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
    VXR and Miths like this.
  10. eran0004

eran0004

Connected another highway to The Intersection of Certain Doom, a.k.a. The Heart of Darkness, a.k.a. Take the Subway Next Time.

Skärmbild (466).png

JockeP22 and Populuxe Cowboy like this.
  11. Miths

Miths

Trying now to decide whether I should buy this (PS4) or get the new Surviving Mars colony management sim from the same publisher.

12. noshog

noshog

I was kinda contemplating the same thing, although I already own C:S on PC, but was itching for something new.
    I decided to fire up C:S again because I have not really put any time in to it, and thought Surviving Mars looks like it could be a bit more than what you get at this stage.
    For me I reckon C:S will stand the test of time more than SM. Will keep an eye on Surviving Mars to see how it develops and what DLC pops up, but I think C:S is the better choice at the moment, especially if you have grown up playing other city builders.

eran0004 likes this.
  13. Miths

Miths

I bought Surviving Mars, played it for a few hours, then loaded up Rimworld on my laptop - a game I've tried to start many times but never gotten anywhere - and played it for a bunch of hours over the last few days.
    And I couldn't resist and just bought the PS4 edition of Cities Skylines after all. About to start it for the first time now.

Not sure there'll be time for more Surviving Mars right away, even though it seems promising enough.

eran0004 likes this.
  14. eran0004

eran0004

Figure 8 intersection :D

Skärmbild (470).png
    Skärmbild (471).png

Sureboss and Populuxe Cowboy like this.
  15. WillOxleyGB

WillOxleyGB

I owned Cities Skylines on the PC until my PC gave up up the go. Brilliant game, it's what Sim City 5 should of been. I am now playing it on the PS4 and I know it's missing some functionality, but it's still great fun.

I'll try and get some photos up of my city.

eran0004 likes this.
  16. eran0004

eran0004

Skärmbild (472).png

It's easy to make a city feel claustrophobic by making it too dense, so I like to open up some space to make it feel more welcoming (and more realistic). In this example it's an avenue running straight through a district. It's a 3-lane one-way road, then a park 3 grid-lines wide, and then another 3-lane one-way road running in the opposite direction.

17. PJTierney

PJTierney

Still have this question regarding the Xbox version.

18. eran0004

eran0004

I don't have the Xbox version, but I've only seen assets for it so far.

PJTierney likes this.
  19. Populuxe Cowboy

Populuxe Cowboy

A friend of mine introduced me to this game back in December. I've been playing it on my XBox since January. No spaghetti junctions to share yet, but I'm having quite a bit of fun. My first city was a bit of a disaster, so I've started another city. It's still disasterful-ish, so I'm thinking of starting a third city.

eran0004 and ImaRobot like this.
  20. eran0004

eran0004

Trying the Cimtographer mod, to export the city to an OpenStreetMap file. It's pretty cool!

Competition: How many roundabouts can you spot?

output.png

Lameonade likes this.
  21. Drex124

Drex124

19 maybe? Too many in any case. :p

eran0004 likes this.
  22. rallymorten

rallymorten

..I'm going to join in on the I-bought-this-during-a-recent-sale-played-it-and-was-terrible-at-it-put-it-away-for-a-while-before-suddenly-feeling-the-need-to-play-it-again-and-now-for-some-reason-it-works-not-too-horribly-and-it's-taken-over-my-brain train.

I'm now about 15 years into my first "proper" go at this, which, coupled with me deciding to play without mods, means congestion management and general planning is.. shall we call them skills-in-development. Still, I'd like to think what I've got thus far isn't completely terrible:

[​IMG]
    (Slightly older image from across the river)

[​IMG]
    (Bonus competition: spot and name all the references. You should come to about 11 "things" being referenced - and yes, there may be multiple references to the same "thing")

Now, when I say I'm playing "without mods"..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (I will admit, coming across this last scenario randomly was kind of funny. They split up two blocks later, though)

The Steam Workshop is a wonderful thing, isn't it?

That's about the extent of mods I've got, though - some kind of First Person Camera + some car mods because reasons. Kind of sadistic, maybe - but good fun regardless.

23. eran0004

eran0004

Here is my new project. This time around I'm letting the city take a lot more space. Previous cities have been a bit too compact. I also got the fine road tool mod, which helps a lot when it comes to creating smooth slopes and ramps.

Skärmbild (494).png

Skärmbild (497).png Skärmbild (498).png Skärmbild (499).png Skärmbild (500).png Skärmbild (501).png Skärmbild (502).png Skärmbild (503).png Skärmbild (504).png

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
    Drex124 and Populuxe Cowboy like this.
  24. eran0004

eran0004

Quite happy with this airport design. Using the Quay Anarchy mod to get concrete walls for the descent into the railroad tunnel.

Skärmbild (506).png
    Skärmbild (518).png

Populuxe Cowboy likes this.
  25. rallymorten

rallymorten

..situational irony is a funny thing.

I've started a second city because.. well I have a vague idea of how things work, plus I decided I wanted to play around with mods, yet keep the previous city mod-free. I've got it started, gotten to just about the point where the city stops being a money sink, and everything is actually looking up for a change.

Then a tree spontaneously bursts into flames (says the guy with the Spyro avatar) and sets half the city (yes, that's the size I'm operating on right now) on fire.

Literally the minute after my firefighters have somehow managed to get the fire under control, this happens:

[​IMG]

Yes. That's a tsunami. Covering literally the entire city.

I love you too, Cities: Skylines.

eran0004 and SecretAgentZero like this.
  26. eran0004

eran0004

/game over :scared:

Meanwhile, over in Portville, I got two new mods: Network Skins and Parking Lot Roads. The first one makes it possible to build a road on top of another road (among other things), and the other is a quick and easy way to build big parking lots.

Skärmbild (528).png
    This intersection had a lot of trucks going straight across, so I just built a new road on top of it to keep them from jamming the intersection.

Skärmbild (540).png
    Ditched the roundabout solution for connecting to the airport and replaced it with a proper highway intersection complex. Partly to speed up the traffic and partly to give tourists something interesting to look at while they are landing.

Skärmbild (546).png
    Got a new "Soviet" district style as well. It's pretty cool, especially these smaller houses. Got a pretty nice (and symmetric) little neighborhood here. You can also see the Parking Lot Roads mod being used.

Skärmbild (545).png
    This is the point where the two main rivers meet. I decided to make it a more high-end area.

Skärmbild (544).png
    Oh no! There has been an accident! Maybe I should remove these dams... They don't generate much power anyway, since the landscape is completely flat in the valley.

27. eran0004

eran0004

New design: Wedding cake intersection. Three different levels of roads and ramps curving to meet up at the roundabout at the top of the hill (as indicated by the huge globe sculpture).

Skärmbild (547).png

28. eran0004

eran0004

New city district with canals, loosely based on the city of Malmö.

Skärmbild (549).png
    output.png

And on the other side of the river, Portville got a proper port. The connection to the highway bridge is so elegant that it should be preserved as a work of art.

Skärmbild (552).png harbor.png

Populuxe Cowboy likes this.
  29. eran0004

eran0004

Skärmbild (643).png
    ^ A roundabout interchange inspired by 1950's motorways. A compact design that works really well.

Below: Some first person view screenshots from around the city.
    Skärmbild (644).png Skärmbild (645).png Skärmbild (646).png Skärmbild (647).png Skärmbild (651).png Skärmbild (654).png Skärmbild (655).png Skärmbild (656).png Skärmbild (657).png Skärmbild (659).png

Ameer67, AlvaroF and Populuxe Cowboy like this.
  30. eran0004

eran0004

With the Parklife expansion, the Network Extension mod doesn't work anymore, so I had to upgrade to Network Extension 2.
    With Network Extension 2, the Cimtographer mod doesn't work anymore (well, it works, it's just that it doesn't recognize most of the NEXT2 roads), so I had to unsubscribe to it.

Instead I found this awesome mod called CSL Map View. Basically, it does the same thing as Cimtographer (that is, creates a map of your city), only better and prettier.

Portville_025.png

TypeRDC5 and Populuxe Cowboy like this.