Cities: Skylines (the Sim City we deserve)

• Thread starter Akira AC
  • 1,530 comments
Wish they would patch and fix the PS4 it runs horribly since the latest patch that was months ago!

Or better yet I wish I has a PC so I could play it properly with a mouse and keyboard.

Too many roundabouts?

Skärmbild (716).png

Expanded the port quite a bit and downloaded some warehouse assets to make it more lifelike. Now it's about three times bigger than it originally was. Connected a new road from the east as well, to not overload the highway connection.

Skärmbild (727).png

Map view of the harbor with the new extensions. Two new roundabouts (of course) and a new cargo rail connection were added.
Skärmbild (728).png

This new road needed a bridge across the river, and since cruise ships pass underneath, it needed to be so high that the road had to corkscrew its way up to that level. On the other side of the river the bridge goes straight into a tunnel. In the top right corner of the first image you can see the tunnel exit.
Skärmbild (725).png

Started on a new project. Instead of building one neighborhood at a time I'm laying out the entire road network first, and then I'll fill it with buildings. It gives a more realistic look, and I won't end up with weird empty spots everywhere.

The map that I'm using has a big hill in the middle, so on the top of it I placed an old fortress and I'm building the city around it.

Skärmbild (851).png

Eight months later, I started playing Cities Skylines again. This time I'm using RICO and "plop the growables" to create the city in more detail than before. Was pleasantly surprised by the improvements to the Move It mod, now you can "auto-slope" your roads, making it much, much easier to create smooth highway ramps.

Skärmbild (1043).png Skärmbild (1044).png Skärmbild (1045).png

Skärmbild (1053).png

Pretty happy with the city so far. Traffic is starting to build up on the highway though, I'm a bit concerned about that since the city only have about 5000 people at this point. I might have to create a new solution for the highway when the city has grown bigger.

Skärmbild (1046).png Skärmbild (1048).png Skärmbild (1049).png Skärmbild (1050).png Skärmbild (1052).png Skärmbild (1054).png

Skärmbild (1062).png

The monorail is pretty nice. I cut travel time by about 90% by replacing my bus line to the harbour with a monorail line. It also looks a lot cooler than a bus :D

Inside the city I had been thinking about how to extend the tram lines beyond the roundabouts. Then I got the brilliant idea to simply drag the tram lines straight through the roundabouts and add tram stops inside them. I was worried that it might disrupt the traffic flow, but so far it works like a charm.

The Old Town district got some more progress, I'd say it's about 1/3rd complete now.

Skärmbild (1056).png Skärmbild (1061).png Skärmbild (1063).png Skärmbild (1064).png Skärmbild (1065).png

Created a new area of the city for the central station. The part nearest to the station is high density offices and commercial and further out are residential areas. I like the look of the skyscrapers here

Skärmbild (1085).png

Skärmbild (1097).png
Skärmbild (1087).png Skärmbild (1096).png Skärmbild (1095).png

As a result of the expansion, this roundabout became extremely popular. There is a tram stop in the middle and I added a platform above it so that people can easily get in, out and across without disturbing traffic.
Skärmbild (1094).png

Overall, traffic is actually flowing pretty good. It's at around 85%, and it seems like the only bottlenecks right now are the toll booths.

Skärmbild (1116).png

Portmont is going to expand quite a bit. The road network has been laid out but it's going to take quite a while to fill in all the buildings...
Traffic is still around 85%, so pretty smooth so far.

Below are some close-up screenshots.

Skärmbild (1106).png Skärmbild (1108).png Skärmbild (1110).png Skärmbild (1111).png Skärmbild (1113).png Skärmbild (1115).png

So I got this game from a my sister as a gift. Are there sites where I can get mods for it that isn't steam? I only have about three games for PC and while I can go elsewhere for mods, it seems like for Cities Skylines it's either steam or nothing. I don't feel like creating an account just for one game and that's before talking about all the wonderful things people have been saying about it not to mention their back and forth stance on things.

So I got this game from a my sister as a gift. Are there sites where I can get mods for it that isn't steam? I only have about three games for PC and while I can go elsewhere for mods, it seems like for Cities Skylines it's either steam or nothing. I don't feel like creating an account just for one game and that's before talking about all the wonderful things people have been saying about it not to mention their back and forth stance on things.

Cities Skylines is the only game I’m using steam for. Don’t know if mods are available elsewhere, but it’s really easy to search and install using the steam client so I would recommend that.

One of my favourite mods is CSL Map View. Looking at your city from a map perspective enables you to spot things that is difficult to see within the game, for example in the case below where the map view revealed some flaws in the highway layout. This monster interchange was part of the map from the beginning, and from the start it did make some sense since it was the point where the two main highways met. However, since then I have changed the route of the main highway and now it doesn't have much of a purpose anymore other than occupying valuable land area.

The top picture is the old highway, the bottom picture is the changes I made to it. A lot of space has been cleared for future projects (I'm thinking a low density residential area) and I was able to rebuild the railroad and add one more connection to it.

Portmont_OLDHW.png

Portmont_NEWHW.png

The new intersection:

Skärmbild (1139).png

How is this game on console? I recently heard about the Industries add-on and am really tempted to get into this game on my XB1X - it sounds like pretty much everything I've always wanted from SimCity. My computer is ancient so this is my only option right now. Is it worth it?

How is this game on console? I recently heard about the Industries add-on and am really tempted to get into this game on my XB1X - it sounds like pretty much everything I've always wanted from SimCity. My computer is ancient so this is my only option right now. Is it worth it?

I don’t have the console version, but according to this it seems to be worth it.

I guess it also depends on what kind of expectations you have. If you want to build realistically or highly detailed then I’d say the PC mods are a must.

I have several questions about this game. It is on sale on Steam (7 euros) and I like simulator games. So my questions in order:
1. My Laptop is quite old, but the specs are way over the minimum settings, around the recommended settings (I have a i5-6300HQ, GTX 950m and 8GB ram). So could I play this on near max settings at 1080p at around 35-40 fps? (This one I can try out if I want because of the Steam refund).
2. Which DLCs are great to have and which ones aren't really worth it (talking about the future of course)?
3. How does modding impact the overall performance of the game? Are they resource intensive or not?
4. How long does it takes to have a good understanding of the game (your personal experience with it for example.)?

I have several questions about this game. It is on sale on Steam (7 euros) and I like simulator games. So my questions in order:
1. My Laptop is quite old, but the specs are way over the minimum settings, around the recommended settings (I have a i5-6300HQ, GTX 950m and 8GB ram). So could I play this on near max settings at 1080p at around 35-40 fps? (This one I can try out if I want because of the Steam refund).
2. Which DLCs are great to have and which ones aren't really worth it (talking about the future of course)?
3. How does modding impact the overall performance of the game? Are they resource intensive or not?
4. How long does it takes to have a good understanding of the game (your personal experience with it for example.)?

1. I have similar specs for my laptop. It’s definitely playable, even at fairly high graphics settings, but the frame rate is not that good and it tends to drop when your city gets bigger. Don’t know if it’s due to graphics limitations or if it’s because of the simulation.

2. I have mass transit, green cities and snowfall. For me, I think snowfall is the best expansion since it brings trams (and I love trams), but to be honest none of these expansions are really necessary other than for visual appearance. The vanilla transportation options are more than capable of dealing with all your mass transit needs. I haven’t tried park life or industries, they seem interesting but also looks like they require a bit of micro-management if you want them to be profitable so I’m not sure if I will get them. If I find a good discount, then probably.

3. Modding can have as big of an impact as you want it to. Mods that are continuously running, like Traffic Manager, usually have different options with different impacts on performance so you can just pick the option that suits your PC. Construction mods doesn’t seem to have any performance impact, typically they are only active when you are actually using them.

For user created buildings in the workshop you can see how big they are in terms of file size, I usually go for the ones that have a relatively small file size. There are also great collections of low resolution trees that look great (much better than the vanilla trees) and that can actually improve performance if you replace the vanilla trees on your map with them.

4. Economy is fairly straight forward. Might take an hour to understand. Traffic is rather complex and you have to use a “learning by doing” approach. However, I find that imitating real life solutions to traffic problems actually works well in the game, so if you build with inspiration from real cities then traffic will be pretty easy to handle too. The exception is industry transports which can be very intense, especially for cargo train terminals and cargo ports, so you need to be careful about how you solve their traffic needs. You can find a lot of good YouTube tutorials for traffic.

In my opinion the traffic management is the best aspect of the game, especially with the traffic manager mod. If you like problem-solving then this is the game for you!

1. I have similar specs for my laptop. It’s definitely playable, even at fairly high graphics settings, but the frame rate is not that good and it tends to drop when your city gets bigger. Don’t know if it’s due to graphics limitations or if it’s because of the simulation.

2. I have mass transit, green cities and snowfall. For me, I think snowfall is the best expansion since it brings trams (and I love trams), but to be honest none of these expansions are really necessary other than for visual appearance. The vanilla transportation options are more than capable of dealing with all your mass transit needs. I haven’t tried park life or industries, they seem interesting but also looks like they require a bit of micro-management if you want them to be profitable so I’m not sure if I will get them. If I find a good discount, then probably.

3. Modding can have as big of an impact as you want it to. Mods that are continuously running, like Traffic Manager, usually have different options with different impacts on performance so you can just pick the option that suits your PC. Construction mods doesn’t seem to have any performance impact, typically they are only active when you are actually using them.

For user created buildings in the workshop you can see how big they are in terms of file size, I usually go for the ones that have a relatively small file size. There are also great collections of low resolution trees that look great (much better than the vanilla trees) and that can actually improve performance if you replace the vanilla trees on your map with them.

4. Economy is fairly straight forward. Might take an hour to understand. Traffic is rather complex and you have to use a “learning by doing” approach. However, I find that imitating real life solutions to traffic problems actually works well in the game, so if you build with inspiration from real cities then traffic will be pretty easy to handle too. The exception is industry transports which can be very intense, especially for cargo train terminals and cargo ports, so you need to be careful about how you solve their traffic needs. You can find a lot of good YouTube tutorials for traffic.

In my opinion the traffic management is the best aspect of the game, especially with the traffic manager mod. If you like problem-solving then this is the game for you!

Thank you, I recently found the videos of Biffa Plays Indie Games and I like those (especially fixing city traffic) and I wanted a good city simulation game for such a low price. I also love trams.

Back