Cobra Coupe Shootout - Lex wins 24 Hours of Spa - Pimiki Crowned Triple Champ !!!Finished 

Same here mate, yes, we change cars and we are due to use the Lancers. Specs are correct. I'm having a difficult time setting it up. The car is weird, I don't know how the other guys made it so fast.

Edit: treed by Lex! :D
how about setting it up together? im on right now

Same here mate, yes, we change cars and we are due to use the Lancers. Specs are correct. I'm having a difficult time setting it up. The car is weird, I don't know how the other guys made it so fast.

Edit: treed by Lex! :D

The Lancer is the best car for acceleration. It's lightweight and has a wide power band. The handling is a bit tricky though, so don't push too much in the corners :)

The Lancer is the best car for acceleration. It's lightweight and has a wide power band. The handling is a bit tricky though, so don't push too much in the corners :)
handling is to good, setting it down makes the car better! :-)

Race report:

I didn't practice a lot before the race yesterday, so Cape Ring was bit rusty for me. That showed during qualification, in both the truck race and the Avon race I only managed to do one qualification lap because on the second lap I screwed up and crashed. I qualified in 7th for the truck race and 10th in the Avon race, which was not what I was hoping for.

In the truck race my strategy, since I didn't know the track too well, was to take it easy and try to conserve my tyres, hoping that those in front of me would wear their tyres out and allowing me to catch up. The race was not long enough for that strategy to pay out though.

The first corner of the truck race became messy, I saw several cars spinning out and I believe quite a few of the top qualifiers got knocked out because of it. When I slowed down to avoid a crash I was hit from behind and crashed into one of the cars that had spun around. Got suspension damage and probably lost about 5 seconds or so.

I managed to overtake two cars during the race (not counting those who were knocked out) and finished in 5th.

In the Avon race I started from 10th, but I knew that the Camaro would be faster than all the other cars off the grid and I gained a lot of positions already before the first corner. The Camaro was a bit more settled than the other cars, but also not as quick at high speeds. I managed to overtake one or two cars due to mistakes they made, but I was constantly about 2 seconds slower per lap than @Flaco13. In the end I finished in 4th.

The Cobra race was awesome! The 2005 version of La Sarthe was tricky though, especially the Dunlop chicane since it's totally different from the current version. On the first lap I managed an OK line through it, but on all the other laps I messed it up in one way or another. At one lap I missed it completely and just went straight on into the sand, and of course it had to be on the lap where Flaco lost a bit of time, if I had just managed to nail the Dunlop chicane on that lap I would have been able to catch up with his slipstream at the Mulsanne straight :banghead:

Another tricky section for me was the Porsche curves. I understeered through them during the first two or three laps and it wasn't until the end of the race that I finally managed to find a good line through them. And by then of course it was too late.

I finished in 3rd at La Sarthe, so between all the races I improved by one position: 5th, 4th, 3rd :)

Monzanapolis

Details of the next series have now been posted! Please click on the link below and let me know your car colours as soon as possible.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/monzanapolis-starts-sunday-5th-july-signup-now.330168/

Monzanapolis Poster Final Stage.jpg

Nice video Lex although I didn't understand why, a few minutes into the video they showed a couple of modern Porsche 911's at an airfield. The section on the cars of Stirling Moss was interesting - I believe he raced 108 different types of car during his career (Wikipedia says 84, but Stirling says 108). It showed his very pale green Ferrari 250 GTO - that car was prepared for him, but he didn't race it because a serious accident in 1962 ended his career. It would be nice if Gran Turismo could feature Stirling as a "Legend" and have some special content such as the number 722 Mille Miglia winning MB 300 SLR.

Sorry to say this, but I'll stop joining you guys on Sundays for a while. I'm busy with some stuff and these days I barely play Gran Trusimo, so I don't really have time to prepare and stuff. I'll probably be back in the future, but no idea when. Could be during the next series or the one after it. Anyway, I wish all of you the best of luck in the remaining races and sorry team AC.

Sorry to say this, but I'll stop joining you guys on Sundays for a while. I'm busy with some stuff and these days I barely play Gran Trusimo, so I don't really have time to prepare and stuff. I'll probably be back in the future, but no idea when. Could be during the next series or the one after it. Anyway, I wish all of you the best of luck in the remaining races and sorry team AC.

Thanks for supporting the series for many months Rehdogg. It looks like we are going to have a number of vacancies - I have notified people on my friends list that we have spaces. I'll keep a reserve slot open for you and GKGamer so you can join in whenever you are free.

Championship Points as at end of Round 8 (before deduction of lowest scoring round)

Avon Tour Points Slide.jpg
Team Trucks Points Slide.jpg
Cobra Coupe Points Slide.jpg

Pimiki is currently leading all three championships (before deduction of lowest score from one round)!

I thought you might be interested in the following pictures - in 1965 Shelby had used up his grid slots at Le Mans and therefore had a Cobra Coupe spare - he persuaded the Swiss team Scuderia Filipinetti (which normally ran Ferraris) to enter the Cobra Coupe painted in their colours of red with a white stripe (very similar to the Willment Team colours of Red with a large central white stripe flanked by thin white stripes). The car was driven by Peter Harper and Peter Sutcliffe (not that one IfAndOr!) and was doing well until forced to retire by a blown engine after 126 laps. In one shot you can see the car on one of Alan Mann's transporters being taken from his race shop in Byfleet, England to the race.

Scuderia Filiinetti.jpg

Next Round 9 from Brands Hatch 1980's

Race 1: Brands Hatch Indy 1980's - Team Trucks (Final round of Team Trucks)

Race 2: Brands Hatch Indy 1980's - Avon Tour of Britain 1973

Race 3: Brands Hatch GP 1980's - Cobra Coupe Shootout

Sign Up Now !!! For the final couple of rounds of this championship and twelve exciting rounds to come in the next championship!

New Series Poster.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Sick
I was wondering if I could have a guest slot today please.

I have all the cars but not painted yet.

Let me know if this is possible?

I'll stay out the way of the leaders but I've never been that quick so I doubt I'll trouble them.

Thanks

Suts. :cheers:

Hi Sick
I was wondering if I could have a guest slot today please.
Sick doesn't usually check on here until later so he might miss this. But you'd be very welcome, especially since he's had a few drop out recently.

Be good to "see" you.

The colours - well there always seems to be a lot of the blue's, so red or green I'd say.

And I tend to stay out of the way of the leaders too. :)

Sick doesn't usually check on here until later so he might miss this. But you'd be very welcome, especially since he's had a few drop out recently.

Be good to "see" you.

The colours - well there always seems to be a lot of the blue's, so red or green I'd say.

And I tend to stay out of the way of the leaders too. :)
Thanks

I was looking back through the thread.
Cobras and trucks no tune? Are they allowed oil change?
And avon tour I found the specs on page 3. Max tune then define to figures I presume??

Thanks

Thanks Sick and everyone for letting me race today.
I had special permission as it was Father's Day in the UK. 👍;)

Unfortunately I can't regularly race in that time slot. :guilty:

I couldn't see Pimiki during the races. I only saw him during the camino race where he seemed to jump 5ft in the air at the start then got stuck on the outside of the first corner?!? :odd:

I managed to keep the camino and the alpine on track for majority of the time but couldn't make up the gap.
Had much better race overall with the cobra.

Thanks again. It was a pleasure to race with you all again. I think I've got a little faster:D but all of you are still a lot faster than me:bowdown::bowdown:

:cheers:

Thanks for the races!

I managed to get pole position in the trucks race, but I'm afraid it was more luck than skill and during the race I made a couple of costly mistakes. Ended up 3rd, I believe.

Avon tour. Well, after the last round I'm going to do a "Top Gear" special and drop a piano on the Camaro. 4th position was good, but the understeer was terrible. I think there are some flaws with my suspension setup.

The Cobra race is always my favourite, and this day was no exception! I managed to stay fairly close to the top for a couple of laps, but then I made a mistake in the 3rd corner and spun around. Daniel caught up with me, but a couple of laps later he seemed to make the same mistake that I did and instead IfAndOr closed in on me. Initially I had big problems with understeer in the Cobra as well, until I realised that my brakes were too strong and used up all the traction for braking, leaving no grip for cornering. I started to brake more carefully, and that was enough to even out the pace between me and If. From that point the gap seemed constant and it was just a matter of enduring the race until the end (I checked the temperature in the room after the Cobra race, it was 29C :scared:) and not make any mistakes. 3rd position is a great result, I just wish I had been a bit closer to the top.

Championship Points as at conclusion of Round 9

Note - Pimiki has already won the Team Trucks Championship which concluded at Round 9. The final points and champions for Avon Tour of Britain 1973 and the Cobra Coupe Shootout will be posted next week.

AT Points.jpg
TT Points.jpg
CC Points.jpg

Above the Willment Cobra Coupe racing a Ginetta G12 (clipping courtesy of Gregor Marshall, son of the late Gerry Marshall).

Round 10 - The Final Round !!!

Race 1 - Avon Tour of Britain - 15 Minutes Spa Francorchamps

Race 2 - Cobra Coupe Shootout - 50 Minutes Spa Francorchamps - 24 hour simulation

Sorry, can't make it on Sunday, we're going to Eskilstuna Zoo over the weekend, not that I expect you to know what that is, but you get the zoo part, and the Phantom is there in a cave waiting for me, or the kids, whatever I'm looking forward to meeting him! :D

I just posted these blank championship tables over in the new thread - I would be grateful if everyone who hasn't already done so, could pop over there and indicate the colour of their Plymouth XNR, their choice of Nascar and their colour of Formula Gran Turismo car (making sure that they are all different) - I'll then update the scoring sheet and blank championship tables.

Added by edit - link to new thread:

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...ascar-road-starts-5th-july-signup-now.330168/

@JockeP22 is there any way we can tempt you to join us?

Monzanapolis & Nascar Points Blank.jpg
Formula GT & Score Card Blank.jpg

Last edited:
I could hang around with you at the back?
is there any way we can tempt you to join us?
Thank you.
Well, Paul did promise me a second-hand Autozam still in decent condition if I
joined in with you guys. :)

To be serious though there have been a few Sunday's where I've thought of taking part
but it has been too little time to ask before the event time.
Normaly the start time is too early for me but I often read the thread so when / if I can join
I will be ready.

Back