Codemasters and honesty

• Thread starter Feschka
  • 110 comments
So what the :yuck: are they thinking? need more time? codding is more complex? hire more people... simple as that.

Can't comment on the DiRT comment as I haven't cared to keep with it since the original one. What I will comment on is this above: it really isn't simple as that. They have a year (and it's likely to be less than that) to release an annual F1 game during the closing of the season. No matter how many people they're likely to hire, if any at all, none of that changes. All you have now is more people scrambling around possibly mucking things up because they're already working under a tight schedule looking to capitalize on an immensely expensive license, and if for whatever reason they miss a release...everyone loses.

Time is a non-issue because it isn't going to be given to them, coding is an issue and can be solved by drawing a line down the development teams (for that more people could be hired but you still run the risk of what's listed above), but fact of the matter is this: as long as Microsoft has a console on the market and they're making F1 20xx for Xbox-whatever and the PC, the PS3 (and 4) are already outweighed 2:1. This is of course assuming the PS4 suffers the same ineptitude as the PS3...which is highly unlikely.

Actually, it's the PS3 that fails in regards to how subpar the visuals look in comparison to the 360

Rubbish. Dirt 3 looks great on both consoles and theres no reason why F1 2011 shouldnt either
Codemasters have made a hash of the PS3, F1 2011 game. Its as simple as that

Last edited:
Rubbish. Dirt 3 looks great on both consoles and theres no reason why F1 2011 shouldnt either

Codemasters have made a hash of the PS3 version of the F1 2011 game, Its as simple as that

Unless you know that to be an absolute fact, it isn't "as simple as that". Let's see how you (or anyone else for that matter) manages a team when you're on a short leash to release an annual game without fail. As I've said sometime ago, if they can they'll fix whatever graphical anomalies are in the PS3's port. Looks to me like the mipmaps are generally of lesser quality, possibly when they transferred the code. AA could fix it but with the framerate problems already...that'd just make everything worse off.

All of this is based on my assumption that they haven't already divided the teams in two.

Can't comment on the DiRT comment as I haven't cared to keep with it since the original one. What I will comment on is this above: it really isn't simple as that. They have a year (and it's likely to be less than that) to release an annual F1 game during the closing of the season. No matter how many people they're likely to hire, if any at all, none of that changes. All you have now is more people scrambling around possibly mucking things up because they're already working under a tight schedule looking to capitalize on an immensely expensive license, and if for whatever reason they miss a release...everyone loses.

Time is a non-issue because it isn't going to be given to them, coding is an issue and can be solved by drawing a line down the development teams (for that more people could be hired but you still run the risk of what's listed above), but fact of the matter is this: as long as Microsoft has a console on the market and they're making F1 20xx for Xbox-whatever and the PC, the PS3 (and 4) are already outweighed 2:1. This is of course assuming the PS4 suffers the same ineptitude as the PS3...which is highly unlikely.

But then again if you want to talk about honesty... Ill be honest... I rather have smoth frame rates and decent physics & handling than photoreal graphics... Im no graphic junkie... for those that are, well lets be honest and buy a PC... I havent got the game yet but if that was the compromise CM did than Ill say they were pretty damn honest in my book...

Like I said I really shouldnt comment on the game because I havent played it... but Im getting really sick of reading about the PS3 bad graphics... when CM was the one developer that seemed to have the most balanced games across consoles... though I really dont care all that much about the graphics... I still play F1 CE over F1 2010 so I doubt F1 2011 is worse in that department....

Like I said I really shouldnt comment on the game because I havent played it... but Im getting really sick of reading about the PS3 bad graphics... when CM was the one developer that seemed to have the most balanced games across consoles... though I really dont care all that much about the graphics... I still play F1 CE over F1 2010 so I doubt F1 2011 is worse in that department....

Who said the PS3 has bad graphics?

Or are you talking about the bad graphics in 2011? Because then...well, everyone and their mum is saying that. :lol:

Thanks gang, I am still tossing up which console to buy (I do not have a line connection for console multiplayer yet) but it looks like I'll win out by going for the PC version, I'm sure this old 512mb hack can easily handle the soft drink power graphics I'm seeing.
Shame about the PS3 version.

Edit: why does the pc box have games for windows live on it <insert facepalm here>.... disappointed. Anywho Im off to get it...

I don't know what the fuss over graphics are anyway. I still play games from the 80's for crying out loud...in my day if you complained about graphics for whatever asinine reason people do it now (besides the cases which are legitimate) you'd be looked at and asked "are you here to play the game or to look at the game?".

Edit: why does the pc box have games for windows live on it <insert facepalm here>.... disappointed. Anywho Im off to get it...

Because...uh...achievements.

And yeah, old games are still great - Duke 3D, anyone?

The fact is that when people fork out the top price tag for latest games, they expect the top quality graphics for that point in time, which is why angry birds is free/was cheap.
Lower graphic level means lower price. Anything short of that is fraud.

The fact is that when people fork out the top price tag for latest games, they expect the top quality graphics for that point in time, which is why angry birds is free/was cheap.
Lower graphic level means lower price. Anything short of that is fraud.

Not sure if serious.

Your basis for comparison is Angry Birds? Seriously?

I don't know what the fuss over graphics are anyway. I still play games from the 80's for crying out loud...in my day if you complained about graphics for whatever asinine reason people do it now (besides the cases which are legitimate) you'd be looked at and asked "are you here to play the game or to look at the game?".

Yeah man we lost all our values... back in the sixties we fought for love, peace and gameplay or fairplay (cant remember) but this new kids all they want is to look at beautifull things that are rotten inside.... :dopey:

I might just have gotten carried away a bit...

When I remember checkered flag was just 3 big pixels (two tires and the steering) running over a black and green screen (road and grass)@ 10 FPS and the fun I used to have playing it on the keyboard... makes me wonder I stupid was I???

To be fair, he's comparing 2 awesome games.

Very true. However, in one scenario the developer has complete control on whether to make the game free or to cost one billion dollars. The other scenario gives the developer absolutely no liberty when it comes to pricing.

Checkered Flag 1983 ZX spectrum

Chequered.gif

:dopey: I found it and seems the graphics where more elaborate than what I remembered :dopey: you can definitly see some tyre wear in there...

Dirt 3 looks great on the PS3.

F12011 is far from perfect but I don't have a xbox or a gaming PC yet so it's just tough luck.

I just hope they make a patch or something to improve it.

im actually blind... my sister reads and types things to me so think before u write

:lol: And yet you'll be picking up the steam version because it'll look better than PS3?
Is there a Fanatec braille-racing wheel or does your sister give you instructions like a rally co-driver?

Wow I just watched that xbox vs ps3 video and I can safely say that the PS3 is rooted.

Mine looks nothing like that, and if you think everyone's looks that bad your wrong.

I was looking forward to getting F1 2011 on my upcoming birthday a couple of weeks ago. But after looking at this thread last week, I started to have second thoughts. I did some more internet research and found that more and more people were complaining about how the PS3 version had subpar graphics and framerate issues.

And now this thread shows up.

Wow. I'm so glad I hesitated before adding this game to my birthday wishlist.

If that's true, then god bless the pair of you :)

If you're winding me up, which I think you are... Then thanks for the giggle 👍

Ah, yes. The pointless banter part of the fight. You express outrage, I reply with a logical argument, and you proceed to shoot it down on the basis that I don't agree with you. It's not my responsibility to me you look intelligent by not saying anything when I see a loophole in your argument big enough to drive a Death Star through.

Honestly, I'm a little surprised that you think the game will look and behave exactly the same on two entirely different consoles.

Yes, it won't run exactly the same on 2 completely different consoles, but the thing is, he is arguing about why the PS3 version is so much worse in terms of graphics compared to the Xbox 360 version in pretty much every way, when the PS3 is clearly the more powerful hardware and should at least not look too much worse.

Yes, it won't run exactly the same on 2 completely different consoles, but the thing is, he is arguing about why the PS3 version is so much worse in terms of graphics compared to the Xbox 360 version in pretty much every way, when the PS3 is clearly the more powerful hardware and should at least not look too much worse.

In terms of it's GPU...no, no it's not.

Gamespot has just lowered their review score for the PS3 version of the game from an 8.0 to a 7.5. The 360 and PC versions remain at 8.0.

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/driving/f1-2011/review.html?metacritic

The reasons:

-"Frame rate varies wildly depending on the circuit"
-"Some poor aliasing and blurry objects"

For those of you who argue that the PS3 version does not have framerate issues based on experience, that is because you are literally on the wrong tracks.

Back