Codemasters to Reveal Rebranded F1 22 on April 21

• Thread starter Famine
  • 99 comments
Is F1 2021 in its current state, worth playing? I own it for PC but haven't gotten around to installing it yet.
I'd say so definitely. It has some of the best AI I've ever raced against. They're dynamic and reactive so it's just about finding that difficulty sweet spot which might take a few races.

I'm hoping they have had time to prepare all the new/revised circuits in time for launch (Miami, Melbourne, Barcelona and Abu Dhabi) unlike in previous years.

It's specifically an F1 game. Of course there are limits on what cars and content is added.

I would very much expect them to limit the amount of content that isn't directly relevant to the current F1 season as that's the primary purpose for the game existing. Remember, this is just another way for Liberty Media to advertise their product and it just so happens that Codies happens to also turn that into a pretty decent game. The day the game comes with F2, F3, supercars, Porsche Cup cars, Formula Fords and classic F1 cars is when it stops being an F1 game and starts being a generic driving game that happens to include F1 content.

That'd be a great game that I'd buy the hell out of, but it's unlikely to meet the requirements of the rights holder who wants their product front and centre.
I agree with you, but the rumor mill of supercars being added did have some traction at 1 point a month ago.

However, another article came out 2 week ago saying their inclusion has been limited to what was originally planned.

It seemed to me, that maybe the idea of adding them was so you could "roleplay" the life of a F1 driver away from the circuit. But, something like that would need more fleshing out than just supercars & we'd end up at your point of it no longer really being a F1 game.

Good to see it's been scaled back. If they wanted some variety, why not allow us to drive/race the Safety Cars? Or could perhaps add Porsche Supercup if they really wanted some other types of racing.

Nobody cares about a story mode to be honest.

Supercars is a dumb idea.

Bring in classic cars and tracks. If not make a history mode to show the evolution of formula 1 from the 1950s to present while talking about the legends like Fangio, Senna, Lauda, Michael Shumacher, Hunt, Prost and Gilles Villeneuve.

Make it a F1 game that celebrates not just the present but also the past.

So many ideas people have shared about on what to add to F1 only thing CM cares about is just continuing the same thing this is why I dislike yearly releases.

Supercars is a dumb idea.

Bring in classic cars and tracks. If not make a history mode to show the evolution of formula 1 from the 1950s to present while talking about the legends like Fangio, Senna, Lauda, Michael Shumacher, Hunt, Prost and Gilles Villeneuve.

Make it a F1 game that celebrates not just the present but also the past.

So many ideas people have shared about on what to add to F1 only thing CM cares about is just continuing the same thing this is why I dislike yearly releases.
Depends how it's implemented. No point having cool stuff if it isn't integrated well.

I'll reserve judgement and criticism for when we actually know what's in or out.

Depends how it's implemented. No point having cool stuff if it isn't integrated well.

I'll reserve judgement and criticism for when we actually know what's in or out.
Only way a story mode would work if it follows the life of several f1 legends.

In Fangios time it was full of death and tragedy.

I think these need to showcased especially how the death of drivers was seen normal as F1 was so dangerous in the past compared today.

Only way a story mode would work if it follows the life of several f1 legends.

In Fangios time it was full of death and tragedy.

I think these need to showcased especially how the death of drivers was seen normal as F1 was so dangerous in the past compared today.
That's what documentaries are for. Anything that takes away from or could have negative developmental impact on the core game, to me, just isn't worthwhile.

I really wish they would give the licence to Kunos for a full on sim. No reason they cant have two official F1 titles simultaneously, codemasters would still surely sell more copies. Or give Kunos a licence to create older F1 championships.

I hope they add f3 and a long story mode this time where you actually race in whole seasons not a few scenarios and highlights. If they recycle the same 2021 game again I'll wait for a black friday discount or something.

I used to collect the physical F1 titles on playstation, then during pandemic I thought I should get the all Codemaster digital versions because I already have many of them. Bought the missing ones when they where on sale but somehow always missed when F1 2017 was on sale.

So now I have them all from PSP F1 2009 except 2017 and then EA removed the old titels from sale without warning. I hope the one responsible for removing the old titels step on Lego every morning for the rest of there lives. I will not buy this one either, EA will never recover financially from my boycott for sure.

Dropping the "20" from the name brings just one thing to mind.

F1 Ultimate team

This will be the big feature introducing this year. As much as I want to drive the new F1 cars, gonna pick this up for dirt cheap when F1 2023 is released.

Edit: Opps, I mean F1 23.

Last edited:
My wish would be having older seasons like 1994 or something in F1. With full car list and track list. But i guess this won't happen anytime :(

Dropping the "20" from the name brings just one thing to mind.

F1 Ultimate team

This will be the big feature introducing this year. As much as I want to drive the new F1 cars, gonna pick this up for dirt cheap when F1 2023 is released.

Edit: Opps, I mean F1 23.
Unlikely. It's probably going to be more or less the same as 2021 with a couple extra single player focused features.

I agree with you, but the rumor mill of supercars being added did have some traction at 1 point a month ago.

However, another article came out 2 week ago saying their inclusion has been limited to what was originally planned.

It seemed to me, that maybe the idea of adding them was so you could "roleplay" the life of a F1 driver away from the circuit. But, something like that would need more fleshing out than just supercars & we'd end up at your point of it no longer really being a F1 game.
It wouldn't surprise me that much if they did, they've had classic cars and F2 before. I expect them to have extra non-F1 content in most releases, and I expect them to change up what it is to keep the games fresh.

What I'm saying is unlikely is that they're going to start including lots of extra content that they've had in previous games all at once. It's not even that they couldn't, it's that it would undermine the central theme of the game.
I care. I want to see a racing game with a story mode that doesn't feel like it was ripped from a daytime TV show. F1 is actually a reasonable fit, as the personalities of the drivers are a big draw of the sport for some people.

Gran Turismo should probably be the ones doing it because "teen prodigy buys and modifies car, becomes bestest driver in the world" is the implied arc of their career anyway, but they have enough problems simply stringing enough races together to form a functional career mode without trying to tell a coherent story as well.

They better have all the tracks available right away along with sprint races or else I won’t be giving them my money, even as a hardcore F1 fan.

I don’t care about a story mode or supercars, just get the basics done first. There is no excuse for these things to be missing again.

Last edited:
They better have all the tracks available right away along with sprint races or else I won’t be giving them my money, even as a hardcore F1 fan.

I don’t care about a story mode or supercars, just get the basics done first. There is no excuse for these things to be missing again.
The excuses are time, resources and effort. And are reasonable related to their level of ambition.

Last edited:

Sprint races, supercars, customisable characters, new broadcast and immersion playing options and VR all confirmed.

And no ultimate team.

Last edited:
I haven't bought any of the F1 games. I have been leaning towards F12021 but I might get this one when it goes on sale.

I care. I want to see a racing game with a story mode that doesn't feel like it was ripped from a daytime TV show. F1 is actually a reasonable fit, as the personalities of the drivers are a big draw of the sport for some people.

Gran Turismo should probably be the ones doing it because "teen prodigy buys and modifies car, becomes bestest driver in the world" is the implied arc of their career anyway, but they have enough problems simply stringing enough races together to form a functional career mode without trying to tell a coherent story as well.
After seeing the **** show that was GT7's pathetic attempt at a "career" mode (which I won't even call it that, because there is next to no engagement, effort, and progression put in to it, just dumb "chase the rabbit" arcade races anyway), I'm all for a story mode. I don't play the F1 games, but I did see F1 2021's story mode and at least it keeps you hooked as you progress; engaging you to want to see more, which I really like. I hope the new Forza Motorsport can have some form of story mode as well.

That's...not a lot of info for a game reveal. The F1 Life reeks of EA. Look at the preorder: Miami themed livery, t shirt, watch, hat, wall art. Sigh.

I really didn't expect much from this entry, but man. I'm a sucker for broadcast enhancement but that's one of your tentpole reveals?

A new “Adaptive AI” function will allow players to race against a grid of 19 other F1 cars at an approrpiate skill level

Isn't that the way it is now if you don't choose "realistic" for car performance? "Realistic" sets each cars performance as they are in real life ex. Red Bull and Mercedes the strongest cars and Haas as the weakest. But if you turn that off it's based on the AI strength level you choose and your own skill level, all cars on the same level. Unless I'm misunderstanding that.

I must’ve lived under a rock or something. Didn’t even know EA acquired Codemasters. Well, screw both of ‘em.

Isn't that the way it is now if you don't choose "realistic" for car performance? "Realistic" sets each cars performance as they are in real life ex. Red Bull and Mercedes the strongest cars and Haas as the weakest. But if you turn that off it's based on the AI strength level you choose and your own skill level, all cars on the same level. Unless I'm misunderstanding that.
No, that's just car performance. In guessing adaptive AI will scale the actual difficulty to your skill level.

Back