Codemasters to Reveal Rebranded F1 22 on April 21

• Thread starter Famine
  • 99 comments
I wonder if "Hey, I own a supercar" in this game isn't about the car itself, but as a status symbol - like jewelry, designer clothing, and a swanky condo. It's just something you own and not something you can actually use.

Hope I'm wrong.

Not just screw EA?
Codemasters weren’t forced to be bought, were they? So yeah, I say screw them too.

I’ve smelled their greed for a good while now anyway. For example, many of the cars and stages in Dirt Rally was not featured in Dirt Rally 2.0 at launch, but was released through paid DLC later.

F1 Life is there entice players into buying the podium passes. Glad they finally have all the tracks though.

Last edited:
Codemasters weren’t forced to be bought, were they? So yeah, I say screw them too.

I’ve smelled their greed for a good while now anyway. For example, many of the cars and stages in Dirt Rally was not featured in Dirt Rally 2.0 at launch, but was released through paid DLC later.
Released through paid DLC having been massively overhauled. But yeah everyone forgets that bit conveniently.

Fine line between greed and profit, which business' kinda need to you know, function. Things like the F1 license don't come cheap, neither does the WRC license. The pockets of EA will help them enormously and free up funding to improve game engines, expand content where perhaps they wouldn't have been able to before, utilise technology developed elsewhere within EA to improve their own systems, online systems etc. Not to mention EAs server network.

But yeah, screw them both. I want a low budget, old engine F1 game again, with broken online and and all the new circuits missing at launch.

I wonder if "Hey, I own a supercar" in this game isn't about the car itself, but as a status symbol - like jewelry, designer clothing, and a swanky condo. It's just something you own and not something you can actually use.

Hope I'm wrong.
I have every confidence that you won't be.

Hope I'm wrong.
"Alongside this year’s new regulation F1 cars, supercars will also be driveable in this year’s F1 game. It’s a part of a feature called ‘F1 Life’ in which players will also be able to get clothes and accessories and supercars.

You can then race your earned supercars against other drivers in the all-new ‘Pirelli Hot Laps’ mode."

Dedicated mode for running supercars.

I’m actually kinda intrigued by the addition of supercars, I wonder which ones will be added to the game.

Will it be only the ones made by manufacturers present in F1, or will it be other manufacturers as well 🧐

There’s quite a few options from AM, MB, McLaren and Ferrari to be added, also sports cars from Alpine and AR.

I'm confused as to why so many people are A) surprised by this, the takeover was quite well publicised and B) expect anything differently given the money EA spent to acquire the studio.

Besides, they have the WRC license from next year so it'll be WRC '23 most likely.

I hope they EA won't disappoint us with the next DiRT game or Rally game and make it good like F1 2021 so yeah i guess we have to wait

The problem I have with the series now, due to having 8 platinum trophies is the single player feels like a grind but for the multiplayer alone I could be tempted as I have some great online experiences with F1 games down the years, probably the hype will get me!

"Alongside this year’s new regulation F1 cars, supercars will also be driveable in this year’s F1 game. It’s a part of a feature called ‘F1 Life’ in which players will also be able to get clothes and accessories and supercars.

You can then race your earned supercars against other drivers in the all-new ‘Pirelli Hot Laps’ mode."

Dedicated mode for running supercars.
This looks like WTF1's copy, and I have no idea where they've got it from. EA has sent me the same press release three times (which also appears in identical form on the EA Press Portal), and another non-final version of it yesterday, and this isn't anywhere in there:
Codemasters® and Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: EA) today enter a new era of Formula 1® with the announcement of EA SPORTS F1® 22, releasing worldwide on Friday, July 1. In the biggest shake-up for over a decade, players will take their seats for the 2022 FIA Formula One World Championship™ in new hybrid cars, as overhauled rules reimagine the race weekend with the inclusion of F1® Sprint races. With a more competitive and unpredictable line-up, players will test their skills across the 2022 calendar, including the International Autodrome for the inaugural Miami Grand Prix. In another first, players can step into the glamorous world of Formula 1® with F1® Life, a customisable hub to show off their collection of supercars, clothing, and accessories, earned via gameplay, Podium Pass, and the in-game brand store. Players can pre-order the Champions Edition now, which includes three days early access and a time-limited Miami inspired content pack.*

"We look forward to welcoming our players to the new era of Formula 1®," said Lee Mather, F1® Senior Creative Director at Codemasters. "Alongside the real-world changes, we have updated the physics to accommodate the new aero rules and re-worked the tyre model, making the handling more true to life. With new and updated circuits, Adaptive AI, F1® Life, and expanded gameplay options, there has never been a better time for players to take their seats and live the life of an F1® driver."

The redefined race day allows players to customise their set-up with new Immersive and Broadcast options that affect formation laps, safety car periods, and pit stops. Select Immersive, and players will face risk-reward challenges, which could be the difference between a place on the podium or finishing outside the points. Broadcast takes the pressure off, with controlled and authentic cinematics that keeps players close to the action. For the ultimate immersive F1® experience, the new PC VR functionality via Oculus Rift and HTC Vive enables players to feel the drama from right inside the cockpit.

For new and casual fans, the new Adaptive AI keeps less experienced players competitive throughout each race, with opposing AI racers tailored to match the skill level. Accessible menus and handling also return to help players get to the action quickly without the need to understand the complexities of the sport. The refreshed Practice Programs offer more variety with new scoring systems and on-track visualisations. This helps players navigate each twist and turn to perfection before racing for those all-important championship points.

F1® 22 also boasts enhancements to returning features, including My Team, allowing players to choose their starting budget based on three entry points: Newcomer, Challenger, and Front Runner. The game sees real-life track updates to Australia, Spain, and Abu Dhabi to reflect recent changes. F1® 22 also features its critically acclaimed 10-year Career, complete with a two-player option, and Multiplayer is back for epic races against the global racing community.

F1® 22 will release July 1, 2022, on, PlayStation®5, Xbox Series X|S, PlayStation®4, Xbox One, and PC via the EA App, Origin, Steam, and Epic Store. Players can pre-order the F1® 22 Champions Edition and enjoy three days early access.
I've love to know where they've got this from.

This looks like WTF1's copy, and I have no idea where they've got it from. EA has sent me the same press release three times (which also appears in identical form on the EA Press Portal), and another non-final version of it yesterday, and this isn't anywhere in there:

Ah fair enough, we'll call it speculation then, I just assumed they'll have had the same information given to them. Thanks for clarifying.

Released through paid DLC having been massively overhauled. But yeah everyone forgets that bit conveniently.
Even if that was true, which it isn’t (the stages had tweaked lighting and the cars were identical) that doesn’t explain why it wasn’t in the game from release, does it?

The amount of people that has bought into this sort of greed, without being the least bit critical, amazes me.

Never mind me though. Enjoy!

This is from the EA website:

"Create a team and take them to the front of the grid with new depth in the acclaimed My Team career mode, race head-to-head in split-screen or multiplayer, or change the pace by taking supercars from some of the sport’s biggest names to the track in our all new Pirelli Hot Laps feature."

Not the same wording but it does sound like it's possible to drive the supercars at least.

Even if that was true, which it isn’t (the stages had tweaked lighting and the cars were identical) that doesn’t explain why it wasn’t in the game from release, does it?

The amount of people that has bought into this sort of greed, without being the least bit critical, amazes me.

Did you even play it? I'm guessing probably not, but that's an argument that has been hashed out a thousand times in the Dirt forum anyway.

As for the F1 games, I'm not seeing much by way of greed as it stands. No ultimate team, no cut content or any of the other unfounded expectations people had or feared with no precedent. The only question mark is the same one that has been around since 2020 in the shape of the podium pass, and even then, it doesn't really offer anything tangible.

Yes, because Finland needed to be made worse on the lighting and atmosphere front.

The only real location that had any sort of legitimate overhaul that could be felt by the player was Monte Carlo. Everything else was simply re-adding DR1 content with different skyboxes and weather effects.

This is from the EA website:

"Create a team and take them to the front of the grid with new depth in the acclaimed My Team career mode, race head-to-head in split-screen or multiplayer, or change the pace by taking supercars from some of the sport’s biggest names to the track in our all new Pirelli Hot Laps feature."

Not the same wording but it does sound like it's possible to drive the supercars at least.
Good catch.

I wish I could be surprised that this isn't in the press release, but the original pre-final release and two of the subsequent final releases I was sent didn't actually have what platforms the game would be available on...

Thoughts on this?…

Have to say F1 22 looks like nothing more than a F1 2021 reskin with updated drivers and car models with little else that’s of much value, unless you’re a 8 year old that has to have virtual sunglasses and other pointless cosmetics.

If it’s true that Codies are looking to use Unreal Engine for their upcoming WRC titles then maybe the F1 team are holding off with the bigger changes to potentially shift over to using Unreal too? Possibly?

Attachments

• 68CFB4CA-A98D-4A93-BCD6-CBFCEC1705B4.jpeg
    68CFB4CA-A98D-4A93-BCD6-CBFCEC1705B4.jpeg
    64.8 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
My first instinct to "cool, I can drive supercars" is "wow, I can just load up GT7 instead."
What? A game that doesn't contain P1, 720S, 765LT, Artura, Senna, 992 Turbo S, 918, Chiron, Divo, Voiture Noire, 812, Sesto Elemento, Asterion, C8 Corvette, Koenigseggs, SSC, other Maseratis, Rimac, Boxster, M5 CS, M8, E63s, Giulia GTA, etc.?
I’m actually kinda intrigued by the addition of supercars, I wonder which ones will be added to the game.

Will it be only the ones made by manufacturers present in F1, or will it be other manufacturers as well 🧐

There’s quite a few options from AM, MB, McLaren and Ferrari to be added, also sports cars from Alpine and AR.
Would be better than what Pathetic Digital does.

Bit critical is also not enough.

What? A game that doesn't contain P1, 720S, 765LT, Artura, Senna, 992 Turbo S, 918, Chiron, Divo, Voiture Noire, 812, Sesto Elemento, Asterion, C8 Corvette, Koenigseggs, SSC, other Maseratis, Rimac, Boxster, M5 CS, M8, E63s, Giulia GTA, etc.?

Would be better than what Pathetic Digital does.

Bit critical is also not enough.
Maybe I've been a bit harsh, but that's a lot of faith you're putting in an F1 licensed game to include in what will probably amount to a Playstation Home for your avatar

I’m curious about it but I’m sure F1 life will be removed for the 2023 game anyway and we will have some other gimmick instead.

Last edited:
Maybe I've been a bit harsh, but that's a lot of faith you're putting in an F1 licensed game to include in what will probably amount to a Playstation Home for your avatar
Nothing of that puts praise in this game, but using GT to compare regarding supercars? PD is out of touch despite branding themselves as car encyclopedia. Don't use it as an example.

Last edited:
Nothing of that puts praise in this game, but using GT to compare regarding supercars? PD is out of touch despite branding themselves as car encyclopedia. Don't use it as an example.
All I said is if your key addition to a game is something that has nothing to do with what makes your game unique, and a potentially thin cash grab mode at that, your game is in trouble.

They apparently cut most of the super car content because it was taking too long. Why are they devoting significant resources to driving super cars in an F1 game?

All I said is if your key addition to a game is something that has nothing to do with what makes your game unique, and a potentially thin cash grab mode at that, your game is in trouble.

They apparently cut most of the super car content because it was taking too long. Why are they devoting significant resources to driving super cars in an F1 game?
I think they actually scaled it back because FOM wasn't happy with the supercars featuring so prominently, that's what has been suggested anyway.

Back