College Basketball 2017-2018 Season (Men and Women)

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 132 comments
I probably wouldn't pick Virginia to win it all, but it certainly is a heart breaker and a deal breaker for the Cavaliers to be knocked out this early (and this bad).

Looks like my Houston Cougars and the Michigan Wolverines will match up later tonight. I will certainly be pleased if my Coogs make it to the Sweet Sixteen and further, but I just don't know and just not as confident in UH. I'm proud of my boys regardless of how far we go in the NCAA Tournament.

JUST WRAPPED UP...

...an awkward-looking 3-pointer sends Michigan to the Sweet Sixteen over my Houston Cougars. DAMN! 64-63, Michigan. Congrats to Michigan. I didn't watch because I feared the worst. And, it happened. That's March Madness for you.

Oh, well... I knew Houston wasn't totally powerful, so I am not entirely upset.

JUST WRAPPED UP...

...an awkward-looking 3-pointer sends Michigan to the Sweet Sixteen over my Houston Cougars. DAMN! 64-63, Michigan. Congrats to Michigan. I didn't watch because I feared the worst. And, it happened. That's March Madness for you.

Oh, well... I knew Houston wasn't totally powerful, so I am not entirely upset.
Wasn't able to watch the game, don't have any TV services at my house (though honestly I was sleeping before going into work:lol:). Got in and looked up the score after having seen Houston leading with 6 to go and I see it's 63-61 with 3 seconds on the clock. I'm scrambling to change the lobby TV (night audit at a hotel) and of course the batteries are dead in the remote:banghead:

I commend you guys on the battle! I certainly thought it was over for my boys tonight and my bracket. Doesn't leave me feeling to confident moving forward though:nervous:

If most brackets were not already dead at this time, a lot more will be as both UNC and Michigan State lost today.
Add Cincy to the list! This is the most upsets in the first weekend that I can remember in a while. Big names going down.

And Cincinnati got slaughtered in the second half to Nevada to lose 75-73. I hate everything Nevada stands for right now.

Like I said before, this season's NCAA Tournament could be the most wide-open in a long while. So ANYTHING can happen, and almost any surviving team (even the most unlikely) can win it all or advance far. Better luck next season to all whom have failed so far in this tournament.

I'm surprised Purdue didn't blow their game. I caught the last 3 minutes on the computer at work. And all I saw the whole time was Butler making a hard charge at Purdue, cutting their lead to 3. Dakota Mathias' 3 pointer late was the only score I saw from Purdue. Butler' last second heave in an attempt to tie it and go to overtime scared the crap out of me. :scared: Thankfully it bounced out.

Tennessee's loss to Oregon State was the first time that the Lady Vols lost a NCAA Tournament game played at home, they are now 57-1 all time in games played in Knoxville. It is also the first time that they did not advance to the Sweet 16 in back to back years.

"Oh, college basketball sucks. I'd rather watch the NBA. Nobody cares about college."

If this describes you, then you're missing the madness this March Madness is providing. TWO #1's go down before any Sweet Sixteen match has started! Hardly anybody thought UMBC would beat Virginia, let alone by 20 (UVA should be ashamed of themselves). Now we got Florida State chopping down Xavier. Cincinnati = out. North Carolina = done. Wichita State = better luck next season. Heavy hitters and teams with solid regular season performances are going down. Even my beloved Houston Cougars were out of luck on St. Patrick's Day against Michigan's heartbreaking buzzer beater 3. We've had 68 contenders; now, we're down to 16 as all the rounds conclude heading into the Sweet Sixteen round.

People follow college basketball for a reason. Upsets and drama happen. And guess what? We're not done yet! We're going to have our Final Four set once the Sweet Sixteen and Elite Eight matches conclude. There's still work to be settled on the women's side as well. Let's not assume UConn is going to reclaim their spot atop the women's college basketball world.

March Madness. Drink it in, MAAAAAAAAAAN!

Since it appears most everyone's favorite teams are out of it here, I think a Big Ten Championship Final between my Boilers and @AnthonyD1993's Wolverines would be fun. A rematch of the Big Ten Tournament! Hopefully the result would be different though...:mischievous:

I know not many college basketball fans are into the NIT, but this season's NIT has some experimental rules. One thing I know of is that instead of two halves, there are four 10-minute quarters (just like in the women's game). That is the only thing I know best of this set of experimental NIT rules.

For more on the full set of NIT rules experimented this season, take a look at this: https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2018-02-27/experimental-rules-be-used-nit

I remember that Little Caesars had a promotional deal in which you could have a free lunch pack on April 2nd or something if a No. 16 beat a No. 1 seed. Heck, we might as well gift GTPlanet Premium to people who predicted UMBC to beat Virginia in their bracket.

The men's March Madness action continues this Thursday. We still have a few Women's March Madness action to settle tonight.

I like the longer three point lane and wider lane. Four quarter with free throws only coming after the fifth foul is interesting too. Not completely sure about the shot clock only resetting to 20 after an offensive rebound, but it could help drive more possessions.

I like the longer three point lane and wider lane. Four quarter with free throws only coming after the fifth foul is interesting too. Not completely sure about the shot clock only resetting to 20 after an offensive rebound, but it could help drive more possessions.

I like the longer 3 point lane and wider lane too. It's really interesting to see it since it opens the floor up in the college game.

I like the longer 3 point lane and wider lane too. It's really interesting to see it since it opens the floor up in the college game.

That is the same reason I like it also. Defenses have a big advantage due to so many bad offensive players. Since scoring is so hard to come by, the college game needs the floor opened up some.

We will set up the men's Final Four in San Antonio after this weekend's games. The Sweet Sixteen will tip off tonight or so. The Elite Eight follows from the eight survivors of the Sweet Sixteen round. If you thought there was chaos already, imagine what these schools will do to try to make the Final Four.

Not to be outdone are other action, such as the NIT, the CIT, and more importantly- the Women's NCAA Championship. A lot of basketball still to be played on the men's side and the women's side. Don't forget other basketball tournaments in other levels of college basketball. I know we always focus on NCAA Division 1 hoops, but there's a reason why I mention college basketball in general- I don't want it to be all about just NCAA sports. College basketball is college basketball.

Anyhow, good luck to all remaining survivors in the various tournaments.

Sweet Sixteen action was last night. The following teams are advancing:

* Loyola University of Chicago
* Kansas State
* Michigan
* Florida State

...and these respective teams are done:

* Nevada
* Kentucky
* Texas A&M
* Gonzaga

The rest of the Elite Eight will be filled out tonight, including the remaining #1 seeds. Enjoy tonight's games as well as the Elite Eight!

And Purdue's season is over. One of the best chances they have ever had to take it all. What might have been if Haas didn't go down.

We got 25% of the 2017-2018 Final Four set! Remember I said almost anybody can win this season's Tournament and it is so wide-open? Well... salute yourself if you picked #11 Loyola University of Chicago to make the Final Four. That's right. The Ramblers are the first team to make that trip to San Antonio for the Men's Final Four next weekend. I didn't see #11 Loyola UC running over #9 Kansas State, but I learned of this first when I was watching the New Orleans Pelicans at Houston Rockets game when Loyola UC was mentioned. I then saw scores from an Xfiniti TV app showing they won 78-62 over Kansas State.

Congratulations to Loyola University of Chicago. In progress as of this post is #9 Florida State vs. #3 Michigan, and MICH currently leads 10-4 with 16:43 left in the first half.

Michigan v. Loyola? I'm down. As much as I'd love Michigan to win, getting beat by Loyola actually wouldn't disappoint me all that much.

This is turning out to be a fantastic tournament, even if my bracket is beyond ruined.

Michigan v. Loyola? I'm down. As much as I'd love Michigan to win, getting beat by Loyola actually wouldn't disappoint me all that much.

This is turning out to be a fantastic tournament, even if my bracket is beyond ruined.
We will not speak of the slaughtered brackets.

Now 50% of the Men's Final Four is set. Welcome to the Final Four, Michigan!

Now we shall see who advances between...

* #3 Texas Tech vs. #1 Villanova
* #2 Duke vs. #1 Kansas

Enjoy the Sunday matches!

We got our men's Final Four, GTPlanet! Get to know the Final Four for this season: Loyola University of Chicago, Michigan, Villanova, and... Kansas. So check in next weekend when the Final Four takes place in my home/native state of Texas in the fine city of San Antonio.

On the women's side, we got Louisville going to the Women's Final Four in Columbus, OH! Or as the cool kids call Louisville, "the Ville."

Congratulations to all other winners from today and this weekend.

I managed to survive the first weekend with my Final Four in tact, but lost Purdue and Kentucky this weekend. However, my finals teams are still around!

I've been a lifelong Michigan fan. For as long as I can remember my dad has instilled the Maize and Blue in my blood. This past year our family moved out to Kansas City so I picked KU as my runner up. So...

LETS GO BLUE! IT'S MIDNIGHT SISTER JEAN

Back