College Basketball 2017-2018 Season (Men and Women)

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 132 comments
We know about the NCAA Division 1 Men's basketball tournament. Now, we give the ladies some love. Here's your 2017-2018 NCAA Division 1 Women's Basketball Tournament:

FORMAT:
* Albany Region vs. Spokane Region
* Lexington Region vs. Kansas City (MO)

NO. 1 SEEDS:
* Connecticut (1st Overall)
* Notre Dame
* Louisville
* Mississippi State

--- ALBANY REGION ---
Storrs, CT (Saturday and Monday)
#1 Connecticut vs. #16 St. Francis
#8 Miami (FL) vs. #9 Quinnipiac

Athens, GA (Saturday and Monday)
#5 Duke vs. #12 Belmont
#4 Georgia vs. #13 Mercer

Tallahassee, FL (Saturday and Monday)
#6 South Florida vs. #11 Buffalo
#3 Florida State vs. #14 Arkansas-Little Rock

, Columbia (Friday and Sunday)
#7 California vs. #10 Virginia
#2 South Carolina vs. #15 North Carolina A&T

--- SPOKANE REGION ---
South Bend, IN (Friday and Sunday)
#1 Notre Dame vs. #16 California State-Northridge
#8 South Dakota State vs. #9 Villanova

College Station, TX (Friday and Sunday)
#5 DePaul vs. #12 Oklahoma
#4 Texas A&M vs. #13 Drake

Columbus, OH (Saturday and Monday)
#6 LSU vs. #11 Central Michigan
#3 Ohio State vs. #14 George Washington

Eugene, OR (Friday and Sunday)
#7 Winsconsin-Green Bay vs. #10 Minnesota
#2 Oregon vs. #15 Seattle

--- LEXINGTON REGION ---
Louisville, KY (Friday and Sunday)
#1 Louisville vs. #16 Boise State
#8 Marquette vs. #9 Dayton

Stanford, CA (Saturday and Monday)
#5 Missouri vs. #12 Florida Gulf Coast
#4 Stanford vs. #13 Gonzaga

Knoxville, TN (Friday and Sunday)
#6 Oregon State vs. #11 Western Kentucky
#3 Tennessee vs. #14 Liberty

Waco, TX (Friday and Sunday)
#7 Michigan vs. #10 Northern Colorado
#2 Baylor vs. #15 Grambling State

--- KANSAS CITY, MO REGION ---
Starkville, MS (Saturday and Monday)
#1 Mississippi State vs. #16 Nicholls State
#8 Syracuse vs. #9 Oklahoma State

Raleigh, NC (Friday and Sunday)
#5 Maryland vs. #12 Princeton
#4 North Carolina State vs. #13 Elon

Los Angeles, CA (Saturday and Monday)
#6 Iowa vs. #11 Creighton
#3 UCLA vs. #14 American

Austin, TX (Saturday and Monday)
#7 Arizona State vs. #10 Nebraska
#2 Texas vs. #15 Maine

So there you have it. The Women's Final Four will be played out in Columbus, OH. The Final Four for the women will be held on March 30. The National Championship game is on April 1. The National Champion will certainly NOT be an April Fool.

Good luck to the women in this season's tournament. Congratulations to all who made the Women's Tournament.

Happy Selection Sunday, everyone! It's the best time of the year for the best sport (college basketball), and you know what that means...

GTPlanet's Official 2018 Bracket Challenge

:gtpflag:

You've got four days to get your bracket in — after that, you won't be able to change your picks. Congratulations to your Houston Cougers, @JohnBM01, for reaching the tournament for the first time in 8 years!

And joined! Now to get a bracket filled out.

GOOD NEWS: You're in the NCAA Tournament!

[POTENTIAL] BAD NEWS: Your Tournament run may be over in just one day.

Today begins "The First Four." Eight teams in this series of play-in games will compete, and four will see their postseason run continue. The madness here will begin tonight whereas the winners will advance where the teams will go from 68 to 64. Among them is Houston's own Texas Southern University.

Whether you consider tonight to be the start of March Madness or not on the men's side, or whether you'll care when the First Four is complete, enjoy the action!

March Madness now sees the entire men's field get underway after all the First Four matches have concluded. We will see 64 teams get whittled down to 32. And after that, 32 will become 16. Whose seasons will continue? Whose seasons will come to an end? These rounds will tell all as we set up the Sweet Sixteen after the Thursday/Saturday games and the Friday/Sunday games.

Good luck to all of your favorite teams. Let's see how many brackets will hold up.

I had picked Oklahoma as a somewhat likely upset over Rhode Island... whoops. :lol:

I did also. After how Big XII play went, a part of me is relieved that this OU team is done.

Because of uncertainty, I actually did not see this game. I was mostly busy blogging. I didn't find out how this game went until I viewed my Twitter feed about UH hitting the game-winning shot. You know this Texas boy- I surely had my own little *happy dance* moment. I am not touting the Houston Cougars for two reasons- I don't think we are impressive, and March Madness can bring out the worst in even the best teams. I did, though, see a video on Twitter showing Houston's go-ahead score by Rob Gray of UH. These have been happy times for Houston with the University of Houston and Texas Southern University winning their games.

Depressing stat for UH? I read on Twitter that this is UH's first NCAA Tournament victory since 1984. Meaning... UH hasn't been relevant, at least in men's hoops, in the NCAA Tournament since the Phi Slamma Jamma days. And how far did UH go? To the National Championship game to be defeated by Georgetown. That was before UH went all the way to the National Championship game to be defeated by North Carolina State in 1983. Still, I'm proud of my Coogs.

Congratulations to all other winners from the First Four and this round of 64.

Michigan looked better in the second half but still looked terrible. The B1G doing their tournament a week before every other conference does is just to play at Madison Square Garden one of the dumbest things ever.

So... who had Buffalo blowing out Arizona? :eek:
That was one of the picks I should have took but didn't. I was debating changing to Buffalo since Arizona had been iffy before the tournament but stuck with them. Oh well, I had them getting bounced in the round of 32 so it didn't hurt me too much.

Regardless of bracket regret, the PAC 12 no longer has a representative in the big dance now. Safe to say that they will be taking a hard look at basketball next season with the dismal showing of the PAC 12 in 2018.

Really? Are you kidding me? 89-68, #13 Buffalo over #4 Arizona? Damn! That's March Madness for you, folks. Buffalo completely overrated Arizona to get their first-ever NCAA Tournament round win.

ESPN just revealed how big of a bracket buster the Buffalo upset is in their bracket challenge.

Of the 17.3 million brackets made in the ESPN challenge this year:
3,109,233 had Arizona going to the Final Four.
1,188,168 had Arizona going to the title game.
851,431 had Arizona winning the National Championship.

...and their brackets got busted with Arizona graciously failing. Now for some extra musings:

* DOWN GOES WICHITA STATE! "WE... ARE... MARSHALL!" I keep thinking of "Wheel... of... Fortune!" when I hear that. Anyhow- what a Shock! The Shockers got 86ed from the Tournament thanks to Marshall picking up their first-ever NCAA Tournament round victory. I noted Marshall was ahead by 5 as I was watching Lipscomb vs. North Carolina. It was an 81-75 victory for the Thundering Herd.

* Dolph Drago's Purdue Boilermakers wrecked the Titans of California State-Fullerton 74-48, but Purdue got wrecked themselves losing Issac Haas to a fractured elbow. So they won't have this guy for the next round of the tournament.

Congratulations to all other winners up to and beyond the time of this post, including those who won in the Women's NCAA D1 basketball tournament.

* Dolph Drago's Purdue Boilermakers wrecked the Titans of California State-Fullerton 74-48, but Purdue got wrecked themselves losing Issac Haas to a fractured elbow. So they won't have this guy for the next round of the tournament.
Yep, he's done for the rest of the tournament. Never fails to happen to any team I root for. So much for a championship. :grumpy:

Yes. THAT happened. Sing along, everybody...

DOWN GOES VIRGINIA!

I didn't know of this until someone in a chat to a Twitch stream I was watching saw a #16 beat a #1. The University of Maryland-Baltimore County (UMBC) knocked off Virginia 74-54. It's the first-ever time a No. 1 has beaten a No. 16 in NCAA Tournament history. They trashed the [Virginia] Cavaliers. I'm sure Virginia will have upset stomach from now until the start of next season. Ouch...

Unbelievable! UMBC just pulled off the biggest upset in college basketball history, and one of the all-time great upsets in sports. WOW. :eek:

General reaction to UMBC/Virginia:
mYQJD4Y.jpg

Shocker for Virginia :eek: Doesn't bust my bracket. Had them losing to Kentucky in the Sweet 16.

Purdue losing Hayes hurts me though, got them in the Final Four:scared:

As a die hard Michigan fan though, with Virginia out of the way our path to the championship gets a little easier:D

Shocker for Virginia :eek: Doesn't bust my bracket. Had them losing to Kentucky in the Sweet 16.

Purdue losing Hayes hurts me though, got them in the Final Four:scared:

As a die hard Michigan fan though, with Virginia out of the way our path to the championship gets a little easier:D
You gotta go through Cincy.

Back