College Basketball 2017-2018 Season (Men and Women)

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 132 comments
68 men's teams. 64 women's teams. Plenty of games played. Many fortunate to make it so far. Many wondering what could have been (including my beloved Houston Cougars, and many other favorite schools of GTPlaneteers alike). Now in NCAA Divsion 1 basketball, we have Final Four action. So let's discuss the goings on.

On the NCAA D1 men's side:
* #11 Loyola University of Chicago vs. #3 Michigan
* #1 Villanova vs. #1 Kansas

And on the NCAA D1 Women's side:
* #1 Louisville vs. #1 Mississippi State
* #1 Notre Dame vs. #1 Connecticut

The Tournament action continues this weekend with Final Four games. The women take to the hardwood in Columbus, OH starting on Friday. The men take to the hardwood in San Antonio, TX this Saturday. What has already been a wild ride is going to come to an end as college basketball season nears its sunset for 2017-2018.

Good luck to the remaining teams in all college basketball tournaments. While we have time, go ahead and tell it- who will be National Champs among these surviving teams?

Tonight is the final of the Men's NIT. At present, it is 43-39, #4 Penn State over #2 Utah with 7:57 left in the 3rd Quarter.

Somewhat of an omission, congratulations to Penn State on becoming NIT champions. It's their first triumph since 2009.

The NCAA Women's Final Four saw both matches go into Overtime (a first in NCAA D1 Women's hoops history). UConn went down in Overtime to Notre Dame, and the Mississippi State Lady Bulldogs topped the Louisville Lady Cardinals in Overtime. So your Women's National Championship match is between Notre Dame and Mississippi State.

What about the men, though? Well, we got these matches:

* #11 Loyola UC vs. #3 Michigan
* #1 Kansas vs. #1 Villanova

We will be assured someone will face a No. 1 seed (pending forfeit by both #1's). So who will set up our National Championship in NCAA Division 1 Men's hoops? We'll find out tonight with the action eminating from San Antonio, Texas.

Enjoy this final weekend of college basketball for this season! Good luck to all remaining teams in men's and women's college hoops!

Loyola University of Chicago finally falls. When I finally realized the game was on, Loyola UC was actually leading. The Ramblers will have to settle for the 3rd Place Game. Michigan, meanwhile, will await the winner of Kansas/Villanova. I'll feel even more like having upset stomach if Michigan wins it all considering the lucky shot that vaulted Michigan past my Houston Cougars. Of course I'll be proud for Michigan. Still- a fluke shot that shouldn't have connected just makes you feel like you let a team slip away and go on advance much further than you ever did.

As of this post, it is 37-25, Villanova over Kansas with 5:03 left in the 1st Half.

Yeah, Kansas seemed like they just didn't belong the way they got smashed by Villanova. I think when I first saw that game, Villanova was up 25-4 on Kansas. It used to be that Connecticut was the premier Big East basketball team. These days, it could be Villanova as the new best Big East team ever since Connecticut moved on to the American Athletic Conference.

Championship college basketball. You want it? You got it! Tonight, we got the NCAA Division 1 Women's National Championship to be settled. Both Final Four games were decided in Overtime. Your Women's National Championship game from Columbus, OH:

* Notre Dame vs. Mississippi State

I offer my congratulations to whomever wins the National Championship on the women's side.

If you saw last night, Notre Dame knocked down a clutch buzzer-beating three to sink Mississippi State for the NCAA Division 1 Women's Basketball National Championship. It is their first National Championship since 2001. I was proud for Hall of Fame coach Muffet McGraw to pick up this National Championship.

That's the women; tonight, it's the NCAA Division 1 Men's Finale. We got the Villanova Wildcats going to set it off against the Michigan Wolverines for the National Championship in San Antonio, Texas. Who'll take home the title tonight? We'll find out together, won't we?

Good luck to both Michigan and Villanova tonight, and congratulations to whomever wins the National Championship.

I guess I need to celebrate winning the GTP Bracket Challenge:

d242e06404d988801b0ef988f5a9f0a5c20f8f5214ed7796f6c817e65db3d69e.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not shocked Michigan lost since I'm actually pretty surprise they made it to the Finals. At least they had a good run, but they could just not defend against the 3's Villanova was putting up. Oh well, at least they did better than Michigan State so that's something.

I was shocked Michigan even made it to the final, but I wasn't shocked that Villanova won it all. As soon as Michigan played the game of 3s and failed to convert the shots, I knew Nova had it in the bag.

From this whole men's Tournament, I think it was rather refreshing that the best college basketball team in the state of Michigan is a team other than Michigan State. Many people usually think of Michigan as a football school. Michigan is going to hang around. They aren't going to go away. As for Villanova, I have full respect for coach Jay Wright. Villanova asserted themselves quite well the past few years. Even when the Big East had the likes of Connecticut and Syracuse, Villanova was still a pretty potent program.

This season's Tournament still was pretty wide open regardless of who would win it all.

My traditional "Salute to Champions" post is in the works, where I congratulate all of the different college basketball teams (men and women) who won the National Championship. I'll have that for you in a future post, so stay tuned!

Time now for my "Salute to Champions" post for the 2017-2018 season of college basketball. Though we mostly talk about NCAA Division 1 men's basketball, I want to pay tribute to all champions across various levels and leagues of college basketball. There is a reason why I call it "College Basketball" and not just "NCAA Basketball" or something. These posts are not entirely exclusively about the NCAA. And of course, it's only name dropping if it doesn't make sense. If you like or represent any of the schools I am going to mention, feel free to comment away and show some love. So here are the champions I salute:

*** cue "One Shining Moment" ***

--- 2017-2018 Salute to Champions ---
NCAA D1 Men: Villanova
NCAA D1 Women: Notre Dame
NCAA D2 Men: Ferris State
NCAA D2 Women: Central Missouri
NCAA D3 Men: Nebraska Wesleyan
NCAA D3 Women: Amherst (undefeated! Back-to-back titles!)
NIT Men: Penn State
NIT Women: Indiana
CIT: Northern Colorado
CBI: North Texas
NAIA D1 Men: Graceland (Iowa)
NAIA D1 Women: Freed-Hardeman (Tennessee)
NAIA D2 Men: Indiana Wesleyan
NAIA D2 Women: Dakota Wesleyan (South Dakota)
NJCAA D1 Men: South Plains
NJCAA D1 Women: Tallahassee
NJCAA D2 Men: Triton
NJCAA D2 Women: Monroe (New York)
NJCAA D3 Men: Brookdale (New Jersey)
NJCAA D3 Women: Hostos

Congratulations to all National Champions across all of college basketball. Now begins the long wait until about next November when it's time to hoop it up again.

In the meanwhile, why not share some of your thoughts about this past season of college basketball? Feel free to discuss!

Back